Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I shouldn't be shocked Yellow is the second highest colour for Cures after Pink given Yellow's tend to get the best henshin's but I figured blue would be at least tied

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

They should bring back black and white as potential color options (the former is literally just Nagisa at this point, hence why she's grouped in with the Pinks) and maybe try some new colors as well (Sentai has started to experiment a bit with that recently so why not this series). I forget, has there been a season yet where the Pink (or pink equivalent) is not the de facto leader?

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

Larryb posted:

They should bring back black and white as potential color options (the former is literally just Nagisa at this point, hence why she's grouped in with the Pinks) and maybe try some new colors as well (Sentai has started to experiment a bit with that recently so why not this series). I forget, has there been a season yet where the Pink (or pink equivalent) is not the de facto leader?

not that I recall, unless you count the first two shows of the franchise. thing is it's been a tradition for awhile and breaking that could be considered risky. same applies to super sentai who tend to have the red ranger be the de facto leader. Honestly it would be cool If instead of pink, perhaps a blue or white leader could be the leaders. I'm just betting chances though. Sooooo....not gonna happen.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

There should be more Cures with orange as a main color scheme, I know it's not the most marketable color in the world when it comes to girls' toys (see also: Applejack getting left out of a lot of MLP merch) but it was super cute on Cure Sunny.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fruity20 posted:

not that I recall, unless you count the first two shows of the franchise. thing is it's been a tradition for awhile and breaking that could be considered risky. same applies to super sentai who tend to have the red ranger be the de facto leader. Honestly it would be cool If instead of pink, perhaps a blue or white leader could be the leaders. I'm just betting chances though. Sooooo....not gonna happen.

To be fair, there have been some Sentai teams where the Red technically isn't the leader (Kakuranger/Megaranger/Timeranger) but still generally takes point in battle and gets most of the focus. I don't see why they couldn't do something like that at the very least.

And even in the originals Cure Black/Bloom typically wound up taking charge during battle anyway though the dynamic was a little more even (Honoka was clearly the brains of the original team for example).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 23, 2018

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I always liked how Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles put the blue one in charge.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

They should bring back black and white as potential color options (the former is literally just Nagisa at this point, hence why she's grouped in with the Pinks)
Cure Tender!

Larryb posted:

I forget, has there been a season yet where the Pink (or pink equivalent) is not the de facto leader?
Cure Moonlight kind of takes charge of things towards the end of Heartcatch? But Tsubomi is obviously the protagonist and most scenes like that are 'yuri does something, tsubomi backs her up' or 'yuri suggests something, tsubomi agrees with her' so

It'd be cool to have gold or orange in there, since a lot of other magical girl series have that (see: Sailor Venus) and it's a common enough color in sentai. Of course, some of the more metallic colors would be hard to work in as fabric/hair colors unlike sentai where you're dealing with full body armor/tights, but you could do a really cool silver magical girl. Sailor Moon's super modes kinda fall into that category.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, you're right. There has been another black Cure in the series, in that case why is Cure Black counted as a Pink then? Is it mostly just because Nagisa is technically the main character of Futari Wa?

And yeah, I think gold, silver and orange (though I could have sworn there was at least one orange Cure already) would work pretty well here (hell, brown would probably work better in a show like this than it would in Sentai to be honest). I'd just like to see them experiment a little more like they've been doing in Sentai recently.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 24, 2018

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Larryb posted:

HappinessCharge almost does this for about the first dozen or so episodes with Hime as the central character... but Megumi pretty quickly becomes the protagonist and team leader after that to the detriment of everyone else. Welp. I like Megumi when she isn't involved in unreasonably terrible love triangles, but man, HaCha has a great vibrant cast that was horribly underutilized. So much potential in Hime alone, who went nowhere!

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

There’s lots of black cures, they just tend to be evil clones.

edit: Cure Orange and Cure Cyan. The movie poster will make itself.

edit the second: oh wait, that’s kaoru and michiru.

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 24, 2018

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Maybe weirder colours will become popular with kids again and we can get some Teal and Pewter cure's (see 90's/early 00's Sports Uniforms for example)

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Next season's team will consist entirely of Cures who exist outside of the sRGB color space, just to mess with the animation team.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so apparently there's legal reasons keeping Cure Mofurun from appearing in full outside of her movie

this is a great tragedy

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

so apparently there's legal reasons keeping Cure Mofurun from appearing in full outside of her movie

this is a great tragedy

What legal reasons might that be? Is her actress some kind of major celebrity or something?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

considering it's the same as regular Mofurun, no

it has something to do with the company that helped make the Maho movie

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

considering it's the same as regular Mofurun, no

it has something to do with the company that helped make the Maho movie

Ah, too bad then.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah the movie committee co owns the rights to Mofurun with Toei and according to Tanaka and the twins they are super hard to work with

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yeah the movie committee co owns the rights to Mofurun with Toei and according to Tanaka and the twins they are super hard to work with

That's weird considering the character debuted in the series first, or is it just her human/Cure form they can't use?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

That's weird considering the character debuted in the series first, or is it just her human/Cure form they can't use?
Yeah, it's the cure form they can't use, Mofurun's in all the all-stars movies and she was in the hugtto special, she just didn't transform.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/Miluda/status/1056029835997306880

Precure now in the World Record books

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Close up of that poster from the next All Stars movie. Notice the space motif and the shooting star logo from Star Twinkle.

I think a space Precure is all but confirmed, guys :hfive:

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Oct 27, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, does Precure do the thing Kamen Rider and Sentai generally do where the following year's team gets a cameo in one of the movies (I know occasionally the main girl from the next season does make a brief appearance at the end of the previous one at least)?

But yeah, space seems to be all but confirmed at this point. I'm kind of curious how that's going to work though (that is, whether the girls will be space/constellation themed but remain on Earth most of the time or if it'll be Kyuranger: Pretty Cure Version). Either way I'm interested in hearing more.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It'd be cool to have a precure that was set in the future instead of just vaguely modern day, if we're talking space precure. Girl that lives in a space colony, or something. Mahotsukai had the magic world that they went back and forth from, so you could do a series where one girl is from the future and one is from present day, maybe? I'm freestyling here.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

... Isn't that what Lulu is?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if at least one member of the team (and/or one of the fairy equivalents) was an alien at the very least. It might be an interesting change of pace to have a series not (entirely) set on Earth as well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

... Isn't that what Lulu is?

I mean, kind of, but Lulu's setup is a bit different.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

If we don’t get an alien cure, then they learned nothing from Ruru Lulu.

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 29, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I haven't actually watched it yet but I managed to track down the Futari Wa dub in its entirety. If anyone here has experience with it, is it worth watching at all (same question for Glitter Force actually)? I've heard they westernized a lot of the names and changed a few cultural references but how is it otherwise (in terms of overall translation, voice acting, etc.)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 30, 2018

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I'm finally watching Cardcaptor Sakura. The American dub, which I vaguely remember from nearly twenty years ago, I know by reputation to be one of the more egregious hatchet jobs of a localization. Seeing the original anime (which I hear is smoothed over from the manga), I think the localization team needs an award. I can't tell whether it's something in Japanese culture I'm not privy to, or the fact that CCS is twenty years old, or that the women at CLAMP are anachronistic in any context, or a combination of all three, but is a good half of the show just about relationships that should not exist? The gay stuff isn't an issue anymore (not sure if it was originally, apparently gay stuff is seen in Japan as something harmless if everyone's under a certain age), and the cousin-relationships in the show are, I'm pretty sure, framed as a foreign Chinese old-time oddity, but there's like three different teachers banging four different students and I feel like that right wing conspiracy about homosexuality being the slippery slope to pedophilia and dog-loving is playing out on my screen. I mean I'm still watching it and enjoying it, it's got fine art direction and I've watched stuff with a lot worse for a lot less, but drat. Is there some kind of cultural context I'm missing out on that would help me understand this show, or am I understanding it fine and it's just not aged great?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Alvarez IV posted:

I'm finally watching Cardcaptor Sakura. The American dub, which I vaguely remember from nearly twenty years ago, I know by reputation to be one of the more egregious hatchet jobs of a localization. Seeing the original anime (which I hear is smoothed over from the manga), I think the localization team needs an award. I can't tell whether it's something in Japanese culture I'm not privy to, or the fact that CCS is twenty years old, or that the women at CLAMP are anachronistic in any context, or a combination of all three, but is a good half of the show just about relationships that should not exist? The gay stuff isn't an issue anymore (not sure if it was originally, apparently gay stuff is seen in Japan as something harmless if everyone's under a certain age), and the cousin-relationships in the show are, I'm pretty sure, framed as a foreign Chinese old-time oddity, but there's like three different teachers banging four different students and I feel like that right wing conspiracy about homosexuality being the slippery slope to pedophilia and dog-loving is playing out on my screen. I mean I'm still watching it and enjoying it, it's got fine art direction and I've watched stuff with a lot worse for a lot less, but drat. Is there some kind of cultural context I'm missing out on that would help me understand this show, or am I understanding it fine and it's just not aged great?

Yikes, I was going to pick up the manga for my daughters but I guess I'll pass if it's well past the Tuxedo Mask line of creeping.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

idk how to tell you this but i dont think the american localizers deserve a reward for taking a show where two guys of similar ages are in love with each other and its treated as something beautiful and special and nobody judges for them, and removing that plot point completely

cardcaptor sakura has a lot of issues, and some of the weird age gap romances are one of them, but there's also an extremely well handled gay relationship in it and the american dub removes literally all of that and also tries to make it appealing to boys by downplaying the fact that it even has a heroine. and, again, removing the gay romances completely. 'award' my rear end, man.

P-Mack posted:

Yikes, I was going to pick up the manga for my daughters but I guess I'll pass if it's well past the Tuxedo Mask line of creeping.
I'd say the anime isn't really worse than Tuxedo Mask. The manga has a relationship between a 13ish year old girl and her teacher, which is gross as gently caress and I won't defend at all, the anime changes that to just a crush she has on him and never really has anything happen that implies he returns the affections beyond letting her have them because she isn't really doing anything to push them.

The age gap relationships the anime keeps are the backstories of Sakura's parents, where they met when her mom was 16 and her dad was 25, and a reincarnated ancient wizard in the body of a young teenage boy telling a grown woman he loves her. Due to the circumstances of the plot that latter one never really goes anywhere beyond their emotional feelings, and obviously he's an ancient wizard so he isn't really mentally a kid, so that one didn't really seem that weird, either. So I don't really think the anime is that bad.

Cardcaptor Sakura is a really weird piece of work on a lot of levels, because CLAMP were weird old ladies emulating a style of manga that was anachronistic even by 90s standards, but I don't think it's without value or deserves to be utterly destroyed by 'localizers' who write things in their official style guides about how creepy Tomoya's crush on Sakura was and how glad they were to remove that gross excess.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 31, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

A United States audience would have a hard enough time accepting the deference and politeness of Sakura's best friend, Tomoyo, as merely a sign of good breeding. But her intense devotion to Sakura -- sewing elaborate costumes for each Clow Card chase, documenting Sakura's successes on video, assuring Sakura that she "really likes" her -- verges on the creepy. No wonder the American version simply paints Madison (the Tomoyo character) as a video obsessive who sees Sakura's adventures as mere camera fodder."

Alvarez IV posted:

I think the localization team needs an award

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I was being facetious about the award, and obviously the localizers made an extremely different Americanized show that yanked out a lot of the good parts of the original, but I can't think of too much artistically that was lost by omitting the student/teacher romances. The version I'm watching (Animax dub) maintains the relationship between Sakura's classmate and her teacher, as well as the one between Sakura's brother and his middle school teacher, neither of which are exactly artistically vital to the narrative in any way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

realizing how many 90s anime dubs removed even the vague implication of gay stuff was traumatic to me as a gay kid, in the 90s, is what im saying here

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wasn't the original dub for Cardcaptor Sakura so hacked up that some fans actually count it as a separate show? I know they tried downplay Sakura herself as much as possible and make it seem like the show was about the male lead character instead at any rate.

Speaking of which, I have never actually experienced Cardcaptor in any form (Sailor Moon, Precure, and Madoka are about the only Magical Girl shows I've really seen so far). Is it worth watching?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Right, I'm gonna make it a bit clearer on how the CCS dub worked out since there may be slight confusion about which version you got, as well as how it was hacked up, and what's available of the hacked up version. So, there's the infamous hacked up Nelvana broadcast dubbed version that aired on WB, which made a lot of edits, changed soundtrack, rearrangement and fusion of episodes, and etc. which basically tried to cut out all the slice of life bits, cut out the relationship bits, and etc. This version has a lot of changes, but as far as I can tell, there's no actual dvd release of it with its crazy edits and cuts of episodes (possibly exists in vhs form though). The version you probably got is the unedited Nelvana dub since that did get wide release, which still has the issues of the dub and altered music score, but it doesn't feature all the cuts so the episodes are in the proper order, you still see character relationships, all that stuff, though the dub will obviously still downplay certain stuff like the student-teacher relationship and probably the gay relationships. It's also possible you got the 2nd release of CCS which is dubbed by Animax Asia which is completely unedited and essentially the same as the Japanese dub, which reading your post now, is the one you're watching.

Like if you want an example of how Nelvana's dub operates, see if you can track down a DVD copy of the first movie. Watch it in English, then watch it in Japanese. There's no visual edits, so the only changes is essentially in the dubbing, and you'll see the english dub basically alter plot points, while the Japanese side with subtitles will still retain the original plot.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 31, 2018

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Also CCS is definitely worth watching. Just know that CLAMP is weird about relationships in a lot of their stuff, but CCS is definitely the least weird in its portrayal of relationships, other than the teacher student stuff that's generally in the background for a side character, and not a focal point. Otherwise, CCS is a nice charming show, that is basically a solid magical girl show that is essentially a slice of life show, cause there's no big external conflict, but just capturing cards, growing up, and relationships.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/aers00/status/1057489158384640000

Have some proto Cure Black and Cure white Designs

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Proto-Honoka looks astoundingly tsundere

edit: are they saying their names/each other's names? Because if so it looks like their original names were Kuni and (I think, it's kind of smudgy) Nanoka.

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

Proto-Honoka looks astoundingly tsundere

She actually kind of looks more like Hikari in that one picture. Proto-Nagisa looks more or less the same as the final except maybe slightly taller.