Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also in regards to weird relationships in Precure, Megumi from Happiness Charge was in a love triangle with her best friend and a guy who was essentially God (plus the whole Yuko/Phantom thing).

Come to think of it, relationships between 13-14 year old girls and adult men are disturbingly common in this franchise for some reason (though to be fair that's not just limited to the Precure series).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I have been calling cure star’s grandpa “Grampus”.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I still have a feeling that Hikaru's missing dad is gonna be important later down the line (either that or he's dead).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don’t really think that a girl having a precocious crush on an older character is neccessarily a bad thing. Harry shutting Homare down was actually good and healthy for both of them. And while Coco and Nuts aren’t the best, everything about their human identities is a big fat lie and they’re drawn the same as all the younger male characters in Yes, so you can at least figure he’s lying about his age.

It’s when characters like Blue don’t try to set Megumi straight while having this really arbitrary and sexist policy in place that basically drove Mirage to villainy and he never gets called out or held responsible for it, or you have George’s EVERYTHING, that you have a problem.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

I don’t really think that a girl having a precocious crush on an older character is neccessarily a bad thing. Harry shutting Homare down was actually good and healthy for both of them. And while Coco and Nuts aren’t the best, everything about their human identities is a big fat lie and they’re drawn the same as all the younger male characters in Yes, so you can at least figure he’s lying about his age.

It’s when characters like Blue don’t try to set Megumi straight while having this really arbitrary and sexist policy in place that basically drove Mirage to villainy and he never gets called out or held responsible for it, or you have George’s EVERYTHING, that you have a problem.

True, and George is probably the worst offender in that regard (but at the very least Hana is appropriately disgusted when he tries to embrace her during the final battle and seems kind of creeped out by his earlier advances). It's still implied that he's actually rewarded for his behavior by the end though.

On paper, Happiness Charge's plot sounds interesting (a group of teenagers are thrown into the middle of a Holy War between two ideologically opposed gods) but the execution leaves something to be desired (Megumi is basically the only one that matters by the end, Hime comes off as a poor man's Erika and her reunion with her parents is reduced to a single scene during the ending, very little would change if Yuko just didn't exist at all, etc.)

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I take offense. If Yuko didn’t exist, rice wouldn’t be delicious, and that would be awful. She’s central to the whole premise, in this show that is entirely about rice and how delicious it is.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Rice was delicious before her character existed.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I suppose she also contributed to the whole Phantom thing and the task of keeping Hime fed but otherwise she's probably one of the worst Cures in the franchise (in my opinion anyway).

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

True, but every cure is perfect, so being the worst means nothing.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

loving toei striking down the best quality version of lala's transformation

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

Ive only seen one ep of a cure thing and it was ep 2 and I was in awe at the animation of Lala's transform sequence.

Thats my cure post about cure, thank you.
watch the heartcatch movie

itll make no sense and the writing is a bit hit/miss (the start is strong but the middle is kind of aimless and the end is really predictable) but the animation/direction is great

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

The more I rewatch the Star Twinkle transformation scenes the more I love the song, it's up there with Fresh and Suite in terms of the "Music To Get Hyped Over Magical Girls To" factor.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The song 100% sticks I your head which is pretty great

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I like the song but I'm hoping that for group transformations the girls all sing together as opposed to just individually repeating the same song 2-4 times. That said, I liked pretty much every member of the KiraKira and Hugtto teams and Star Twinkle seems to be off to a good start in that regard as well. Hopefully Elena, Madoka, and our eventual mid-season Cure will be just as entertaining/endearing as Hikaru and Lala are.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Does Revolutionary Girl Utena count as a magical girl series? 'Cos I just finished the last four episodes this weekend.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It sometimes gets tagged with magical girl yeah. Effect of having some roots from sailor moon while being its own thing entirely. Also it's real good

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I enjoyed it. I knew it was going to get dark towards the end, but it kind of took a different tack from what I was expecting. The movie looks cool too, but IDK when I'm going to have time to watch it.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

StandardVC10 posted:

Does Revolutionary Girl Utena count as a magical girl series? 'Cos I just finished the last four episodes this weekend.

The answer is yes. The genre can be whatever you want. We have even had magical girl shows starring boys.

Also, 3d dance parties are good. kirakira ed 2 is amazing. Boom boom.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

We don't get a new Cure this episode (that's next episode) but we do get a cute Star/Milky duo attack and Fuwa's ADORABLE Taurus form. New villain too, although still no MotW-esque monsters.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Like I said before, I'm guessing that either they're waiting for the main team to be assembled first or they're changing things up this season and just not doing MotW (or at the very least, using them infrequently). As I recall, KiraKira was pretty light on monsters as well.

Besides, less MotW plots also possibly means less filler overall. If they can keep the plot moving while allowing time for individual character growth this could potentially be something great (and it's off to a good start in my opinion).

BattleCattle posted:

The answer is yes. The genre can be whatever you want. We have even had magical girl shows starring boys.

Also, 3d dance parties are good. kirakira ed 2 is amazing. Boom boom.

My only real problem with the dance party EDs is that they're all more or less the same thing, all that typically changes is the characters, location and song. That said, I don't mind Star Twinkle's version as there's other stuff going on in the background besides just the dancing.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 17, 2019

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

We don't get a new Cure this episode (that's next episode) but we do get a cute Star/Milky duo attack and Fuwa's ADORABLE Taurus form. New villain too, although still no MotW-esque monsters.

There won't be MoTW like ever as far as I remember reading. At least I remember reading someone elsewhere say it before the season even began

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Frankly if there's no MoTW thats a really good thing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

Frankly if there's no MoTW thats a really good thing.

Yeah, like I said no MotW style plots potentially means less filler overall, which in turn would make for a much tighter story.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Subs are out, I appreciate that the girls sing together when transforming as a group instead of just repeating the song and Elena seems fun. Also, the AI for Lala's ship is voiced by Lazuli/Android 18 from the Dragon Ball franchise.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Larryb posted:

My only real problem with the dance party EDs is that they're all more or less the same thing, all that typically changes is the characters, location and song. That said, I don't mind Star Twinkle's version as there's other stuff going on in the background besides just the dancing.

The dance changes too! They’re easy and fun to learn. It’s one of the things I look forward to every season.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Show gets props for unconventional spins on classic yokai, at least. Who else would you expect in the lineup? We've had a tengu for red and a kappa for green, so maybe a tanuki for yellow and an oni for blue?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Show gets props for unconventional spins on classic yokai, at least. Who else would you expect in the lineup? We've had a tengu for red and a kappa for green, so maybe a tanuki for yellow and an oni for blue?

Based on the silhouettes in the OP one of them looks kind of like a bull, also I think this may be the first time I've ever seen a female tengu in Japanese media.

During the conversation between Kappard and Tenjou we also got the name of what I'm assuming is our Big Bad for the season (Guroga or something like that) and I'm assuming Top Hat Girl is going to be part of their ranks as well (at first anyway). Based on episode titles it looks like unlike Elena, Madoka will both be introduced and transform into Cure Selene in episode 5.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 17, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

Based on the silhouettes in the OP one of them looks kind of like a bull, also I think this may be the first time I've ever seen a female tengu in Japanese media.
not a big touhou fan, huh

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

not a big touhou fan, huh

Never seen any of it no, I assume there's one there?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Larryb posted:

Yup. She lives on a mountain and works for a newspaper.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am thinking the Notraider generals may take on a gimmick like Elisio from Kira Kira. Namely he transformed instead of using monsters later on in the series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am thinking the Notraider generals may take on a gimmick like Elisio from Kira Kira. Namely he transformed instead of using monsters later on in the series.

Yeah, from what I've read it's looking like we may not be getting MotW at all this season (or at least they'll show up very infrequently like in KiraKira), leading to more focus on fighting the generals.

I can't see Sentai or Rider ever doing away with the MotW entirely (though Rider usually indulges in it more the further a season goes along and way back in Bioman the monsters were generally just relegated to the giant fights), so kudos on the innovation Toei. Hopefully this leads to a much tighter paced show overall.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 17, 2019

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Gaim is the closest Rider's gotten to not having MotW. The Invess still existed but they were mostly just reduced to the level of grunts while the big focus was on the Riders vs each other or later in the series vs the Overlords.

Anyway I continue to be very happy with this series, I'm looking forward to seeing what new cute forms Fuwa gets as the show goes on. Also if the princesses will actually do anything or just go "Sorry I'd like to help you but I'm too busy sitting on this throne."

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

So far the fights have been unique enough and avoided falling into the trap of just having it be Monster of the Week fights but with General and Canon Fodder.

And hey, if the end game is Precure Touhou than I'm game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

There's actually three, plus some generic ones, yeah. Not sure if mythologically speaking they're meant to be all male?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Gaim is the closest Rider's gotten to not having MotW. The Invess still existed but they were mostly just reduced to the level of grunts while the big focus was on the Riders vs each other or later in the series vs the Overlords.

Anyway I continue to be very happy with this series, I'm looking forward to seeing what new cute forms Fuwa gets as the show goes on. Also if the princesses will actually do anything or just go "Sorry I'd like to help you but I'm too busy sitting on this throne."

I believe the princesses will mainly serve as powerups for the Cures as seen with Taurus in this episode. Once all 12 are in place they'll probably give them some kind of big team finishing attack. Other than that, no clue.

I hope they keep up the youkai theme for the generals going forward and if they're not going to do MotW then instead just have each one be progressively more powerful as we go up the ladder (maybe even have some of the previous ones get upgrades later on like in Go Princess).

Endorph posted:

There's actually three, plus some generic ones, yeah. Not sure if mythologically speaking they're meant to be all male?

No clue, just saying that most of the ones I've seen in Japanese produced media up until now have typically been male.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I guess there's uh, Nyotengu.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I assume the princesses will give the Cures alternative forms - three each.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I assume the princesses will give the Cures alternative forms - three each.

As per usual, there's going to be a 5th member later on as well but I assume she's just going to have her own powerset (like how Haa in Maho Girls only ever really used the Emerald Linkle Stone while the main two had access to all the others).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

The only Bull like Yokai I can think of is Gozu of Gozu and Mezu. (Aka Ox Head and Horse Face.) who serve as the guards of the Underworld. So maybe a partner pair based on those two.

I think I counted five generals in the opening not counting the looming figure above that I assume is the big bad.

Edit: Looking at the video I don't think one of them looks like a bull at all. From the Shadowy looks I would guess the three remaining generals are a Tanuki, Kitsune and Oni.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 18, 2019