Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Wonder what kind of Yokai the Wolf like general is based on.

Edit: Like Garogre and Eyeone are pretty obvious. Maybe it will be clear when we get his name.

That one could just be a generic wolfman, unless there's a specific wolf-like yokai in Japanese mythology. He also seems more like a butler than an actual general at this point but we'll see. Garogre definitely seems to be the big bad at the moment though (he's also Dogold from Kyoryuger).

I'm also still curious about Top Hat Girl from the OP (who I just noticed is also wearing shades). It seems like she's likely our mid-season Cure but I'm curious if she's part of the Notraiders or some kind of other agent unaffiliated with either side.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

That one could just be a generic wolfman, unless there's a specific wolf-like yokai in Japanese mythology. He also seems more like a butler than an actual general at this point but we'll see. Garogre definitely seems to be the big bad at the moment though (he's also Dogold from Kyoryuger).

I'm also still curious about Top Hat Girl from the OP (who I just noticed is also wearing shades). It seems like she's likely our mid-season Cure but I'm curious if she's part of the Notraiders or some kind of other agent unaffiliated with either side.

Garogre mentions that they have to prepare stuff for their Sealed Lord. So he seems to be the second in command.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Garogre mentions that they have to prepare stuff for their Sealed Lord. So he seems to be the second in command.

Yeah, I meant he seems like the one in charge for now until the actual Notraider leader is inevitably brought back. But we'll see how things go down as the season progresses (sometimes enemy generals in Precure wind up being more of a big deal than they initially seem, Lock and Close from Go Princess for example).

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
It's funny, I found Cure Twinkle's Transformation to be generic and boring and generic, but both Cure Milky and Cure Soleil's transformations have been amazing. It probably because as the protagonist/pink cure she doesn't have cool elemental theme for the animators to frame her transformation around.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Yeah, I meant he seems like the one in charge for now until the actual Notraider leader is inevitably brought back. But we'll see how things go down as the season progresses (sometimes enemy generals in Precure wind up being more of a big deal than they initially seem, Lock and Close from Go Princess for example).

Oh he will probably be important as the interim leader. I would also not be shocked if Dog Butler was more important than he appears.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Dog Butler, are there any specific wolf or dog-like yokai in Japanese mythology or is he just a generic werewolf?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vorpal Cat posted:

It's funny, I found Cure Twinkle's Transformation to be generic and boring and generic, but both Cure Milky and Cure Soleil's transformations have been amazing. It probably because as the protagonist/pink cure she doesn't have cool elemental theme for the animators to frame her transformation around.

Cure Twinkle's transformation is bland enough that I have to imagine she'll get some sort of upgrade.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

Cure Twinkle's transformation is bland enough that I have to imagine she'll get some sort of upgrade.

Cure Star, Cure Twinkle is from Go Princess. And has any Cure ever gotten a permanent suit upgrade/new transformation sequence before (the closest I can think of are the Splash Star girls)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 25, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Larryb posted:

Cure Star, there is no Cure Twinkle. And has any Cure ever gotten a permanent suit upgrade before (the closest I can think of are the Splash Star girls)?

https://prettycure.fandom.com/wiki/Amanogawa_Kirara

Excuse you

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I was just about to edit that. No Cure Twinkle in this series I meant.

Speaking of Go Princess, does anyone else think that Yui really should have become a Cure? She's the only one who actively tried to stop her dream from being exposed, willed herself awake while inside a Cage of Despair with a little encouragement from her friends and has actively stood in the way of the bad guys more than once despite having no actual fighting ability.

Also as a side note, I think that's the first (and possibly only) series to give us a "helmetless" roll call (there's an episode where Haruka starts her normal intro speech while in costume but before her hair and face actually change.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 25, 2019

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

The butler could be a cat, which could make him a bakeneko. It’s a bit of a visual pun, since bakeneko have split tails, and he’s got coattails.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Huh now that I have another look at him, he could totally be a Cat. In fact I would say he is more catlike then doglike.

So yeah he could be based on a Nekomata.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Huh now that I have another look at him, he could totally be a Cat. In fact I would say he is more catlike then doglike.

So yeah he could be based on a Nekomata.

That would actually make more sense then just a random wolfman among a group of Japanese yokai, yeah. It's unclear whether he'll actually wind up doing anything though or if he'll just be like the two Zakenna butlers from Futari/Max Heart (though from his brief appearance so far he does seen a bit more competent than those two at any rate).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 25, 2019

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

I suppose it's not really fair for poor Cure Star to be in the same group as Cure Milky and Cure Soleil. It's kind of like having a hypothetical Cure Bird be a group with Cure Dinosaur and Cure Eagle. When the first two group mates of Cure X are Cure Superset of X and Cure Cooler Subset of X its not much of a competition.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Cure Ball of Superheated Gas

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vorpal Cat posted:

I suppose it's not really fair for poor Cure Star to be in the same group as Cure Milky and Cure Soleil. It's kind of like having a hypothetical Cure Bird be a group with Cure Dinosaur and Cure Eagle. When the first two group mates of Cure X are Cure Superset of X and Cure Cooler Subset of X its not much of a competition.

I'd say it was the same deal in KiraKira arguably, all of Whip's teammates looked so much cooler than her (though to be fair whipped cream rabbit is pretty good too).

Also I think this is our third sun-based Cure so far (the other two being Sunny and Sunshine), I suppose Kaoru technically could count in that regard as well though she never really uses any sun or fire based powers.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 25, 2019

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

BattleCattle posted:

Cure Ball of Superheated Gas

Cure Self Sustaining Hydrogen Fusion Reactor

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Cure Explosion

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cure GUN

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god we're turning into the shield hero thread.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

My name is Steve Rogers, but you know me as Cure America.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject but for a future anniversary season I'm curious if a Gokaiger/Decade like series would work for Precure. You could either retain the transform into past heroes gimmick (the best way to do it here would probably be to change the suit but keep the face and hair the same) or, since most of the past teams are pretty uneven in terms of numbers you could instead do it Gokaiger style where a representative or two from each team shows up to give the girls advice/temporarily team up for a fight and then once they've proven themselves grants them a collectable that gives them a power reminiscent of said team (like Marble Screw for Futari for example).

Tribute episodes could work kind of like the Futari/Hugtto crossover only more in depth (like the girls happen to stumble onto the grounds of Noble Academy, find their way into Magic World, etc.). Unless Toei is finally willing to age up some of the previous Cures (which doesn't seem likely) it's probably best to either do it All Stars style (every season happened in the same universe, just ignore any discrepancies and the fact that nobody ages) or have the plot involve time travel somehow.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Cure Vaccine is magical girl we need, not the magical girl we deserve.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

We need a proper Cure Lariat cause Happiness Charge Precure didn't have it's one American Cure be Stan Hansen

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Cure Light Wounds

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Cure, Cura, Curaga

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Precure could take inspiration from Strike Witches and make magical girl versions of historical figures. Joan Salk is Cure Polio.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cure Cure

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Next years Cure's will be sports themed cause of the Olympics so get read for....Cure Prostars!

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Larryb posted:

Speaking of Go Princess, does anyone else think that Yui really should have become a Cure? She's the only one who actively tried to stop her dream from being exposed, willed herself awake while inside a Cage of Despair with a little encouragement from her friends and has actively stood in the way of the bad guys more than once despite having no actual fighting ability.

I actually thought it was cooler that she wasn't a Cure, that someone could break free of despair not through magic (well, okay, she had a little bit the second time) but just by recognising the situation and having some experience dealing with those feelings.

I do think she deserves some recognition in the cross-over movies, though. It'd be nice if they let the supporting characters have a bit of time occasionally.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zandar posted:

I actually thought it was cooler that she wasn't a Cure, that someone could break free of despair not through magic (well, okay, she had a little bit the second time) but just by recognising the situation and having some experience dealing with those feelings.

I do think she deserves some recognition in the cross-over movies, though. It'd be nice if they let the supporting characters have a bit of time occasionally.

Yeah that'd be nice (along with Michiru, Kaoru and Regina), plus powers or not she was still essentially the fifth member of the team. While we're at it they should bring back Sebastian as well, he was awesome.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

These might have been posted before but a few new Star Twinkle images have surfaced recently:

All of Fuwa's transformations:

I think Taurus, Gemini, Capricorn, and Aquarius are probably my favorites so far. Leo and Virgo sort of remind me of Cure Gelato and Cure Felice respectively, I wonder if that was intentional.

Our mid-season addition Cure Cosmos (or possibly Cure Cosmo, one of the two):

Not entirely sure if this is legit but her design does seem to line up with a character from the OP who I'm currently referring to as Top Hat Girl so it at least seems likely at this point.

Finally, some full body pictures of the Star Princesses themselves:

https://prettycure.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Princesses

Also based on episode titles it looks like the girls will actually be leaving Earth and going to other planets in a few episodes, which could be interesting.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 2, 2019

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Someone put all the transformations together and the song really gets better with all of them singing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk1XmqcKHwI

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Revolver Bunker posted:

Someone put all the transformations together and the song really gets better with all of them singing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk1XmqcKHwI

This also highlights the difference in transformation quality. Just look at how much more dynamic the camera work and choreography is for the other cures compared to the mostly static shots for Cure Star. It's like looking a beta version of how they wanted the other transformations to work. It follows the same basic structure and sequence of shots, but it lacks the details and energy that make the other transformations interesting.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1101716527957659648

Wonder if this will actually have better fights than Miracle Tunes?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I still want a live action Precure show one day (preferably without the creepy masks from the stage shows, whether that be a PGSM-style remake of an older show like Futari Wa or Yes! 5 or better yet a brand new series explicitly made for the medium (though Precure is generally a lot more action intensive than Sailor Moon and the suits wouldn't offer that much protection for the actresses). Also PGSM worked because it was more an adaption of the manga rather than the 90's show so for Precure unless you majorly tweak the story for said remake you'd basically just be watching the same show again only with live actors (more or less the same toyline as well).

I'd also like to see a crossover between Precure and Sentai and/or Kamen Rider one day (probably best to just make them both animated rather than have to hire brand new actors for a single special/movie) but I'm not sure if there's enough shared demographic between the shows to make that a viable option. Futari Wa/Max Heart did apparently have a pair of audio dramas where the girls met the Dekarangers and Magirangers respectively though (plus Fourze once appeared in an episode of Crayon Shin-Chan and Abaranger had a crossover with some weird fishing anime) and there was a Precure homage of sorts in the Ninninger Returns special so it could be possible.

Off the subject but based on recently released episode titles it appears that once the main team is complete the Star Twinkle girls will be fixing Lala's ship and going planet hopping for a bit. I'm curious how that's going to work as it would essentially mean the Earth is left basically defenseless (though I'm guessing that the Notraiders are more interested in the power of the Star Princesses and will wind up following them into space).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 2, 2019

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Wonderful 101, but with precure.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Hey if Gemini is twins that means there's thirteen Star Princesses not twelve! Or is only one of the two a princess and the other is just kinda there for the theme?

Also where's Ophiuchus (yes I'm the guy who learned about the zodiac through Final Fantasy Tactics so what)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Hey if Gemini is twins that means there's thirteen Star Princesses not twelve! Or is only one of the two a princess and the other is just kinda there for the theme?

Also where's Ophiuchus (yes I'm the guy who learned about the zodiac through Final Fantasy Tactics so what)?

My personal guess is that Gemini is either a pair of twins who are counted as one princess for some reason or she's a single entity that can split herself into separate bodies.

I'm also curious if the princesses will actually get to do anything prior to the final arc or if they'll mainly serve as glorified powerups for the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Larryb posted:

My personal guess is that Gemini is either a pair of twins who are counted as one princess for some reason or she's a single entity that can split herself into separate bodies.

I’m down for shadow clone princess jutsu.