Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Larryb posted:

The Hugtto ending is slightly better if you assume the guy we see running to the hospital after Hana goes into labor wasn’t George and whatever relationship they had in the original timeline was entirely one sided on his part, also Henri and Emiru’s older brother Masato were happily in a relationship with one another by the end which was nice. Still wasn’t a great finale though.

I could probably do that and be okay with it if they didn't also Break up Emiru/Ruru and have Emiru make a replacement which came off creppy and not heart warming at all. I thought Zako learned from the ending of Fresh but nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Big fan of these designs especially Red's

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Cure Papaya makes me want to loop in the FFXIV Papaya theme in an AMV

Flamingo's civilian design is also pretty great

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Finally dawned on me why Coral looked familiar to me. It feel very much inspired by Yui's design from Go Princess (and I won't hear othewise!)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Given the director was behind some of the more silly Maho girls episodes and the Crossover musical movie which is also very good and silly I think we may end up with a season that is close to Smile in tone

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

She's Bibury and Ciel's daughter and I will not hear otherwise!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Gonna be real upset when Cure Papaya's transformation theme isn't this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8dTnavUMnk&t=62s

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Last 2 weeks have been channeling more action part of fights which is always good

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I remember the last 2 seasons having an okay CR translation, I just haven't rewatched the earlier ones on CR (Gonna do that when I get the Blu Rays)

Also hopefully the Ranger crossover with XDU leads to Precure at some point

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Grace just dunking on Daruizen was great and perfectly justified. Glad they went that route instead of having Grace protect him

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The true final Madoka movie has the girls moving into Hidamari apartments

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Show was mostly okay but the fact it dodged the Daruizen land mine and had Nodoka call out his bull poo poo pulled it to the good side I think.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Pikestaff posted:

I am the exact opposite in every way, I adored every minute of Star Twinkle but Healin' Good did nothing for me... EXCEPT for the mascot characters who I absolutely loved. But they weren't enough to save the season for me overall, I dropped it about halfway through and I don't think I'll pick it back up again. :shrug:

Tropical Rouge is looking really fun though and I have been a big fan of Ai Fairouz for a while. I'm super excited for next week.

The fact they ended up having Nodoka dunking super hard on Daruizen solidly put Healing Good on the good but not great for me. Hype for Tropical Rouge though and all in for a silly season (Though I'm vigilant given how Kira Kira started out being silly and we saw how that went).

Larryb posted:

Fair, though there were probably a few standard filler episodes that could have easily gotten axed as well. Ah well, while it’s probably not making my top favorites list I thought the show was still fairly decent overall personally (especially the last chunk of episodes).

Anyway, now that we’ve said Healin Goodbye to our current team I’m looking forward to a tropical vacation (like I said, hopefully the series will stay as good as it looks so far).

The series length was probably set in stone (Olympics delay) and I doubt Toei really could go back on that. Plus the filler probably didn't need much rework where I suspect some of the Byogen second half had some rewrites done by the pandemic so they probably left it as is so they could spend the time elsewhere

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I do think Toei probably needs to dial back the gimmicks on the mid-season Cures. Since Go we've gotten 2 Fairies, 1 Alien, 1 Robot, 1 Spirit(?) and 1 actual human. Probably be nice to have one or two just be human or known members of the cast

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hopefully Toei is more open to a BD/DVD license now that streaming is more open (They sure as hell won't try to release it themseleves given how their last attempt at English Home video releases went)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Asuka being swole is great

Edit: Papaya is also cyclops!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Laura is great and she and Manatsu make a perfect couple.

Also laugh that transformation item is just a palette swapped Kira Kira compact

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm guessing from the mask she probably isn't the main villain of the season

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's a toy anime so they probably have to lock visuals down fairly far in advance to make sure new toys are on the shelves for kids

Now story? That sometimes can go through changes

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Laura and Manatsu have big time dating energy already its great.

Also Laura is a big time gremlin and also impeccable standards for judging Precure

Edit: Just finished Miracle Leap and it's one of the better All Stars movie thanks to the focus. Helped it had some great fights with the final fight being great. Though part of me wishes we got more of the Star Twinkle girls comfy camping

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 7, 2021

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

We got the Ace leaks around the same time we usually did for Doki and the design looks enough like Regina that people were 100% sure she was Ace. And she was popular with kids too, especially given her arc being really good and mostly finished by the end of the second cour (With her sacrificing herself to save Mana and Mana going nope, gonna save us both being a legit great Precure moment). So just by the way the show was going and the look of merchandise everyone was 100% sure she was gonna be Ace and whelp...Toei pulled a swerve and it blew up in their face.

So if they pull it with Laura it'd probably be even worse cause mentioning Mermaids can't be Cure's, having her be a gremlin and having her be at the start clearly hints that her arc is that she learns to be a better person and becomes a Cure (Though hopefully still a gremlin in ways much like Biburi)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They did a run of Merchandise with Regina, Bibury, Dark Dream, Eas and all a few years back I should of ordered some off as it was really neat so I'd love more of it. Also maybe the Twins could do a manga series on them too!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Really wanting to see one of the movie only Precure forms go for max Kamen Rider movie form crazyness. Come on and give into your desire to make complicated reused designs Toei, you know you want to

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Toei again with the blatant Yellow bias in Henshin's again!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Given the lengths fans have gone to hack toys before I'm not sure that will stop the leaks at all

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/gummmyshark/status/1373764729945141249

This is amazing and now I see it as the true version of Laura

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

No more than other mascot characters around the world

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah I'd imagine the tail would make it hard to move around easily if it looked okay or else if they changed it so it was to move around in it'd look awful

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah the jump in Video quality sure is something..

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Stream died for me before henshin and missed the fight :(((((((

Also 100% sure Asuka and the Student Council Pres will be a couple

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Guessing from the way she looked at the tennis court she was on the tennis team with Yuriko and stuff happened

Or they failed to save a school as school idols either or

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Larryb posted:

Were the dubs any good?

As mentioned, apparently a pilot for the Yes 5 dub was actually made but has never been publicly released. Unrelated to that, Toei Europe also made an English trailer for Yes 5 a while back as well:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Zp57fj_j-0g

They made one for Splash Star too (complete with some voice acting):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=K_eAeiJBcSE

Those seem to be trade show previews made to help sell the show to potential licensors

I think I remember reading that Yes had a serious push in trying to get picked up, including the fact the city was designed to look like a typical old New York or European city than other Precure series

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think the reason we haven't seen any web series or stand alone movies in Precure like a Shin Kamen Rider is that the secondary big audience (Adult Women) really just want to watch Precure and aren't looking for a different take.It's probably why the various Sailor Moon reboot stuff is still very much Sailor Moon as well

As for live action, I really don't see Toei trying a non suit Toku series for awhile as PGSM proved that the action is just super hard to do and have it look consistent or good (while being on a TV show budget).

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Larryb posted:

How about the live action Takara Tomy magical girl shows? Are those any better in terms of action?

Though ironically despite PGSM being really low budget it was probably my second favorite incarnation of the franchise after the 90’s anime and put an interesting new spin on the established story (now if only they would actually release the show overseas).

I've only seen bits and pieces of the Takara Tomy live action show but it's more singing and dancing than fighting and whelp Precure should would of sorta of expect good fights scenes

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

If this design holds that means 3 Cures on the active team having midriff designs. Funny given Cure Black's Max Heart designs

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Them not wanting to eat a Kururu bento just means they wouldn't be able to handle the cruel world of Pripara mascots

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Symphogear definitely has an issues with having plot points resolved in unsatisfying ways though it usually resolves the major ones we'll.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Amazing Laura and Manatsu content this week. Also Precure fight the biggest enemy of all English

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Larryb posted:

In other news, it’s looking like Tropical Rouge will be about the same length Healin Good wound up being (45 episodes):

https://twitter.com/curehibiki01/status/1387947680668606465

We’ll probably end up losing a few weeks should the Olympics wind up being held this year as well.

I mean those episodes are gone anyway if the Olympics happen or not (and they probably won't happen). I doubt they'll get added back on and we'll probably just end up with the series ending in Jan at the usual time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Glad to see Manatsu and Laura have selected the wedding stationary already