Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
Does Shugo Chara count? I'm not finished watching it yet but it's pretty cute. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Revolver Bunker posted:

I think it counts. I watched all of it when it aired. Its pretty good but there are some spots in the later season where it drags a bit. I like the concepts of their powers being their potentials in life.

Revolutionary Girl Utena total counts as a magical girl. Just that Utena's magic is stabbing people with her sword.

I like that aspect of it too. It's a good example of the "You can be who you want if you follow your dreams" message of magical girl-dom.

I just try to ignore the angsty catboy.

I haven't seen all of Utena but I think she counts as a magical girl. The curry episode killed me. I'm told by my friend that I must watch all of it or else.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

:swoon: I absolutely need to play this. That music was gorgeous! I don't think I've ever seen a magical girl game quite like this.

About what level of Japanese would you say is needed to play and figure out the story?

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Thank you both! I'm gearing up to take N3 in December, and I've played a ton of high school life otome games (:sparkles:) so if people are talking about every day things I'm pretty solid in that department.

If people are talking about high fantasy or highly technical scientific things, my vocabulary probably needs work there.

I really appreciate the videos, though, that did help me get a handle on the language level. Fully voice acted games, which this seems to be, are great for me because I can hear the pronunciation of and look up words I'm not sure about. Also helps that the battle menu is in katakana. In the past I've bought both the Japanese and English releases of stuff, so I might do that if localization is going to take a while. It's good practice!

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Good to know, thank you. I appreciate it. :shobon:

It looks like a pretty cool spin on the magical girl genre, so I'm excited to see it in action sometime.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

:woop:

E: After all these months I realize I quoted the wrong link. I'm actually really excited about Blue Reflection and know nothing about Symphogear. :blush:

Alligator Pie fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 21, 2017

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Namtab posted:

You all ready for blue reflection

Preordered it, gonna have to give up being a road tripping magical boy for a while! I'm fine with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

I really liked YuYuYu because it focused a lot more on the friendships between the main characters without being disgustingly moe.

I want to watch GoPri as soon as I'm done with Heartcatch.

Ive reached chapter 7 or so in Blue Reflection. I'm probably the wrong demographic for it, but I reached a scene where the super trendy girl wants to swap panties with the main character because "yours look so comfy!" and euuugh. :stonk: I'd been able to just roll my eyes at the blatant little fanservice crap here and there, but that crossed a line for me.

I just wanted to play a cool RPG with magical girls and beat up bad guys. :sigh: I'll probably still finish it because I'm curious about the ending.