Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

The Colonel posted:

yeah there's a pretty messed up episode early on in s where half of it is spent on everyone giving mako poo poo for potentially being gay cause it was handled by a different director from most of the rest so you might wanna make it clear how hosed up that ep is if they're young

it's awkward cause almost every other episode of s has some bit where usagi crushes on haruka

Wait, what episode was that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

P-Mack posted:

I'm just wondering when the other Sailor Guardians show up, they're twenty episodes in and there's still only three.

That's gonna be a while. Like there's this big filler arc (Because it's a Toei anime in the 90's) where the remaining two of the main set show up and there's a whole season between then and the next two

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

SuperS is getting made as a movie series ala Digimon Tri and, frankly, that just makes me concerned about Starsí chances because oh boy was Tri not great.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

At least part two is better.

Season 3 is the closest to being a solid series largely because the director of Higurashi put her cleaver on the table and Toei did the smart thing and acquiesced for once.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 7, 2018

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Knowing how things have gone, it probably goes in the opposite direction.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

They didn't even do a good job with being a 1:1 conversion of the manga even so that part of the exercise was rendered moot.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Being mahou is suffering

On a "Let's not get probated for empty posting" point, are you guys watching the dub or the sub?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 7, 2018

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

It has Numbah 1 as Umino and the VA (One Benjamin Diskin) snuck in an over 9000 gag in refrence to Ami's IQ.

Depending on how Woosly you like your translations, I could see worse ways to watch Sailor Moon.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Also the bit where everyone is like "Wait, the victim of the day was the cat?!" or how Zoicite was tormetted by a ratking that had taken liquid form.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

PreCure part of the IDW Verse. That'd be fun.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Lobsterman posted:

They honestly wouldn't be the weirdest thing in X-O.

Doctor Wily thought he could beat the Megazord and the Nadeisco C parked right in front of his castle.

What a stupid son of a bitch.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Good ol' Toei, allows UK Streaming of the poo poo part of Sailor Moon Crystal, region locks the one good season (Also Digimon Tri, though that might have been more a service in the long run).

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Beato Believer posted:

Agreed. Crystal is an abomination.

Season 1 is an unholy mess that seems largely made on the threat of Toei losing the rights so they slapdashed something together in the hopes of riding off the nostalgia which, given Digimon Tri (or indeed any other time Digimon's tried to reference the older series, Xross Wars 2, anyone?) almost never works out for them.

"Season 2" was less egregious, seemed to be possessed of some personality that wasn't "FOLLOW THE COMIC OR WE ALL DIE" (And found a pretty good middle ground for Diamond) but still susceptible to moments of jank.

Season 3, whilst largely perfunctory due to the fact that Super is one of the best seasons of the original, (and closest to source, not that's an indication of quality what with Crystal Season One and all) was actually good but then that was because Chiaki Kon took the production by the neck and even that's been soured by the whole "Season four is going be movies because we learned absolutely nothing from Tri being a load of wank" thing.

Which is a shame too. SuperS needs a redo badly and Stars could do with not being six episodes of what SuperS should have been, thirteen episodes of waffle and five really good episodes.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 10, 2018

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

PG Sailor Moon I think has to be appreciated for how they made a single season of Sailor Moon self contained.

I think the way they handled (Mid to Endgame) Usagi's Princess form less as a Disney Princess who got herself caught up in a deadly war and more a raw force of nature to the tune of Berserk Eva 01 was a very interesting take on the idea and certainly in tune with how Heisei Kamen Rider was conducting itself at the time with the likes of Faiz.

The fact that Takeouchi drew design sketches of her all happy and such was sort of hilarious too.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Just Usagi's (Kotono Mitsuishi) which is a bit odd because, just to draw a name from a hat, Sailor Mercury's VA (Aya Hisakawa) is still active (She was and still is Kreo in Cardcaptor Sakura, she is the new voice of Bulma after Hiromi Tsuru's passing earlier this year and, er, Queen Butterfly in the JP dub of Star vs The Forces of Evil so go fig.)

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 10, 2018

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

nielsm posted:

I am hyped.

Detroit: Become Precure .

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 12, 2018

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

This, too, is Decadeís fault.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Well, between Digimon Xross Wars 2 and Sailor Moon Crystal they at least have a very clear blueprint for a anniversary series with the words ďDO NOT DO THIS!!!Ē scribbled all over it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Toei's not even good at it what with the not streaming and the region locking.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

They also tried to get something going with 4kids and og pretty cure but the utter disaster that was One Piece pretty much slammed the door on any future collaborations between the two companies (like the choijin games arc of Ultimate Muscle) right on 4kidsí face.

Not that ether side is particularly innocent in that (or any) matter. 4kids should have read the room and maybe worked with Toonami when they got the show to air it alongside Narutoís then groundbreaking TV-PG dub (or, failing that, trying to go with a hard TV-Y7 like UM, TMNT and Shaman King) and Toei should have known better than to think trying to make One Piece a Saturday Morning Cartoon with the content restrictions that had was any sort of good idea.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 11, 2018

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

You're asking that of an industry that has one channel filling its schedule to far beyond capacity with one show at the expense of everything else and had another spread out a two season show over four years against everyone else on the insistance that this leads to better ratings somehow.

The fact that they're possessed of any wit at all to the conclusion of to come to the idea of "girls iz less muny" should be heralded as a miracle.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

It's a load of old sighted "I'D RATHER HAVE NOTHING!".

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

It could have done without 18 episodes of monster of the week faff between Sailor Moon SuperS: Sorry about Sailor Moon SuperS and End of Sailor Moon.

It'd be one thing if it was good MoTW but it really isn't to be honest.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 12, 2018

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Toei was in the process of disassociating itself from 4kids for loving one piece up beyond all recognition at the time IIRC.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

On the one hand is "Prince of Darkness" gonna be this generation's "Endless Waltz"?

On the other, LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE.

BTW: Why was Dunbine called twice?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 19, 2018

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

And Heartcatch is the one that loves taking the mickey out of precure whilst enjoying every moment of being a precure series.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Erika is best blue, yes.

Also their battleizer is Cyborg 009 approved scarfs that are far too long to prove practical. Itís amazing

Yoshihiko Umakoshi is a gift to character design.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 4, 2019

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Daybreak was just that egregious, I guess.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Given itíd be Hasbro maybe it wouldnít be an utter disaster?

If nothing else they got good performances from CanCon actors and usually thatís the most grunt of grunt voice work.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

They released one the Vita - Super Heroine Chronicles - but it's on the low end of SRW style games and the line up is very unexciting

Given the multitude of, hell, even more adult focused female lead content (thatís a word sandwich) the word Iíd use is Ďdisappointingí. A super robot wars magical girl game without Nanoha, who is basically a Super Robot in the form of a 10 year old girl, is just hollow.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

It does strike that they just picked up whatever was left on the licensing room floor.

Like, armchair CEO on this; I would have at least picked up Slayers, have a Cutie Honey in there for Go Nagai rep and would have gunned HARD for Nanoha. Hell, they had Queen's Blade assets ready to go (The game using the same engine as Queen's Blade: Spiral Chaos), seems a waste not to have the characters in there (even if you couldn't necessarily do the stuff that series is infamous for in a SRW game)

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 5, 2019

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

The best part is every response on that thread spazzing out and complaining that itís not XYZ. We are three years into SM and everyone just wonít let it go.

Like Pokemon is a solid 90% references, Hell this isnít the first Magical Girl reference this series. People really need to let XYZ go.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

The contests were close to the whole precure deal I think they even got one of the animators of I think heartcatch to do them.

But to be clear people have been complaining since practically the first key image of Sun/Moon that it looks odd (they deliberately used a simplified art style, close to Heartcatch, that was easier to animate fluidly, something they started to pay attention to with XYZ) and isnít muh very serious Shonen anime that XYZ played itself as with Ash being competent and such which isnít a bad thing (sure beats whatever the hell they were playing at with BW) but Pokemon has always used the new gens to try something different.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 17, 2019

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

He could also be the Norman to her Roger Smith. That could be fun.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

I'm hoping for the best but oh boy am I expecting the worst out of Toei given this whole exercise (and Tri)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Larryb posted:

That said, I actually wouldnít mind seeing another attempt to bring Precure to the west one day but Iím not sure if Hasbro has any experience dubbing anime and youíd really have to market the hell out of it in order to make it work.

They translated the Armada Trilogy (albeit whilst using a rough-cut with Armada so it looked super janky) and have largely coordinated efforts between the us/jp for Transformers in recent years so if any company is in the position to make it work itís probably Hasbro.

Hell, you can argue that they have experience of the two pronged demographic of Precure with MLP but thatís probably a cam of worms so maybe the less said on that the better.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's a "joke" twitter account so no it's not true

Onion sites will be the death of me.

Though, who knows, a theoretical Anno-lead precure might not be a flaming disaster if he minds his ps and qs and doesnít go full rebuild.

Which is to say it would absolutely be a flaming disaster. The bastard child of Madoka Rebellion and Eureka Seven Hi-Evolution 2.

Edit: Whoops, didnít realise Awful put me at last post read, sorry.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 30, 2019

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

The problem is that its ether all rides at USJ or not worth the time of day.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1182896691558670336

Studio Deen co-producing seems out of left field but I guess Toei is too busy

I wanna hope this is more KonoSuba than Junji Ito Collection but at this point Iím pretty sure Toeiís just out to half-arse as much of this one cartoon as they can get away with so Iím making my peace with this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Being frank I kinda wish for it to just come out, maybe have some backwater studio with three chimps and a pirated copy of Flash to their names to do Stars and for this whole nightmare of a revial to be over.