Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

Yeah, I don't think any of the Sailor Moon movies have any direct plot connection to the series itself so as long as you know who Chibiusa and the Inner Scouts (Saturn, Uranus, Pluto) are you should be fine.

How far along is the current redub of the 90's anime anyway? I haven't been paying much attention to it but might check it out when they get to Sailor Stars (which I believe will be the first time ever that that particular season is available in English).
I believe they're dubbing the movies as they get to them in terms of the series itself, so they're at Super S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

plus western TV execs have only gotten more and more gunshy about content for young girls. Young Justice literally got cancelled because girls liked it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Symphogear, interview with Genjuro and Ogawa's VAs.

A few funny bits in there.

quote:

Ishikawa: Also, in each season there was a veteran actor or actress who came to participate and I always looked forward to meeting them. In season 1 we had Mrs. Minami (Takayama), in G Mrs. Kikuko (Inoue) and in GX Mr. Seki (Toshihiko). Season 1 was especially memorable for me in that regard. Whenever Mrs. Minami came to record she would always invite me out for food afterwards, like "Hide, let's go" and I'd say "yes m'am!"

quote:

Please sum up Symphogear in one word!

Ishikawa: Fired-up
Hoshi: Fist

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Strikers has issues (slow, too many new characters that arent very interesting) but yeah, it's neat to see the characters grow into full-on adults, and how sci-fi things have gotten. I'd say at least give it a look after you finish A's and just drop it if you get bored.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They usually only announce the next series when the show is in the mid-late 40s.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah its just a portmanteau of 'mega' and 'shock'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'd be fine with a few one-off episodes but I hope they don't go overboard on this. Hugtto has been so good on its own merits that I'd rather it give more time to developing its characters than trying to nostalgia pander.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

"Hi, I'm Cure Magical and this is Cure Miracle. And this is Cure Felice, our daughter. She's God."
the best maho is mofurun

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mofurun is also the series first trans representation

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I play GranBlue super casual, only for events featuring collabs with things I like, and it's fun enough. They do tons of free rolls these days. They did a Cardcaptor Sakura collab too, so hopefully they rerun that someday.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'm casual but have Aquors and will get the Futari Wa girls and now want Aikatsu for the ultimate team up party
i want sailor moon, also

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i want a symphogear granblue collab so bad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hes 16 in the manga and 18 in the anime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's not a parody, it plays magical girl tropes pretty straight. It's not especially interesting or fun but the artstyle and animation are mostly decent, but it's otherwise pretty bland. Not bad, but not good either

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also ratings-wise/merch-wise it was the biggest bomb since yes pretty cure 5 gogo so that didnt help people's perception of it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also speaking of

quote:

1: Go Princess Precure
2: Futari Wa Pretty Cure
3: Heartcatch precure
4: kirakira precure a la mode
5: smile precure
6: maho girls precure
7: fresh pretty cure
8: yes pretty cure 5 and yes pretty cure 5 gogo have like, basically the same amount of shows and are basically the same series so
9: futari wa pretty cure max heart
10: doki doki pretty cure
11: suite pretty cure
12: futari wa pretty cure splash star
13: happiness charge pretty cure

This was a poll held on toei's site before hugtto started airing, as an internet poll promoted through twitter it's obviously weighted towards older, more hardcore fans but its still interesting and seems to generally reflect western fan opinions too (ive seen more good will towards suite and less towards yes pretty cure 5 and smile, but generally speaking)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Luceid posted:

I think I'll watch all of FW and then slowly make my way through the rest of the shows at a leisurely pace. Is the popularity poll Endorph posted a roughly decent order to watch them in?

IMO, just watch the ones that have artstyles that appeal to you, or general tones. If you want a quick overview:

Futari Wa: A little long, has a great core dynamic, only two main characters, paced a bit more like a shonen series in terms of how its villains get defeated in relatively short order and new threats keep emerging.

Futari wa Max Heart: Direct sequel to Futari Wa, introduces a third cure, new character is a little bland but at least has an interesting role on the team and doesn't overshadow the original two.

Futari wa Splash Star: Kind of a weird retread of Futari Wa. Haven't watched much of this one, so I can't give a super informed opinion. Any Splash Star stans in the house tonight?

Yes Pretty Cure 5: First precure series to have a core team of five, kind of ugly character designs imo, some fairly stiff action animation, but the character dynamics are executed pretty well and Karen is one of the better 'smart girl' type cures, IMO.

Yes Pretty Cure 5 GoGo: Direct sequel to 5, introduces a sixth ranger who isn't handled very well and whose introduction is mostly treated as a joke and some people find annoying, since she has a very bratty personality. She gets some decent dramatic material later, but as the 'new element' for the season she kind of eats up too much focus. It also has the problem of dragging out the series a bit too much. Plus the show actually looks a bit cheaper in some ways.

Fresh: Pretty Cure 5 GoGo did poorly enough that they were considering not doing another series after this, at least for a bit, so as a result this looks very cheap a lot of the time, kind of muted colors and characters go off model a fair amount. But the character writing is super strong, with what's often considered the best 'sixth ranger' type character and also one of the best mascots in the series since he's a little like a deadbeat uncle more than any kind of cutesy mascot, and some of the episodes do look legitimately nice, especially later on. My personal favorite.

Heartcatch: Far and away the most distinctive artstyle of any of the seasons. Some people absolutely adore the artstyle, some people dislike it.
Personally, I think it looks great. Probably one of the more action orientated series, and also one with more darker plot elements. Not an excessive amount, but it's closer to Sailor Moon than how bubbly a lot of other PreCure seasons are, there's a bit of drama. Dark is probably the best 'rival' character in the series, imo, and the action is frequently eyecatching. Some people find the leads a little bland, though, or think Cure Moonlight basically overtakes the plot once she becomes a lead character.

Suite: Looks very nice, IMO. Has a bit of interesting mystery in terms of its two additional cures added in as the series goes on, and it paces those well, so I'd say thats its strongest suit, there's a legitimate sense of the cast expanding and characters relationship with each other changing as the new cures join, versus a lot of seasons where they just kinda appear and everyone goes 'okay.' Its villains are frequently goofy and team rocket-esque, and it uses the 'they were BRAINWASHED' device a ton, possibly as an excuse for having such non-threatening villains. Some of the character dynamics are pretty well done, and Siren's a really solid character, but it's not really one that sticks out in a lot of people's minds.

Smile: Another season with a core team of five that exist basically from the start. The group dynamic is decently handled and I really like the character designs, but some characters are definitely picking up more slack than others. This is another one I haven't watched a ton of, but people seem to generally like it.

Doki Doki!: Well, we just had a giant discussion about it in this thread. I basically agree that the start is good and the ending is great, but the middle portion feels like spinning its wheels and some characters go through a lot of development only to have the rug pulled out from under them.

Happiness Charge: Also another one we just discussed! People have gone over its flaws, so in terms of strengths, uh, it has a kind of soft, pleasing artstyle and a few of the scenes do look legit stunning.

Go! Princess: It looks great 90% of the time, the core cast is really strong, it has some really solid action, characters develop in really nice ways, the sixth ranger is the best one since Fresh IMO, and it's frequently hilarious. In terms of flaws, I'd say it's clear they wanted to have the big mid-season climax happen exactly midway through the season, so that leads to some stalling directly before it and a few episodes after it, but 'random monster of the week episodes' is hardly a problem unique to this season. There's a reason a lot of people consider this one of the best. Cure Twinkle rules.

Mahou Tsukai: The core appeal here is the relationship between the two leads, how they bounce off and learn to adjust to one another. It's a very strong relationship, and it has plenty of payoffs throughout the season, including what is probably one of the best endings in the franchise. It's not exactly a 'showstopper' kind of season though, a lot of what it does is pretty by the book and it relies on its characters to keep things going. Also benefits from having one of the best movies.

Kira Kira: Around this time a lot of Toei's best action animators were busy with Dragon Ball Super, so what you get here is a series that leans hard into comedy and never really lets up. Episodes include actual real life cooking tutorials, and there's lots of episodes, especially early on, that are basically just extended gags more than anything. However, the characters are charming and likable and the comedy mostly lands, so it's a pretty breezy watch, and it does pull some pretty good dramatic material out of the characters and how they relate to each other. It's really good at what it's trying to be, but it is in a pretty different direction than something like Heartcatch

Hugtto: Currently airing. IMO, it's a decent series elevated to greatness by Emiru and Ruru, who steal the show from the moment they're introduced and encapsulate some of the best writing the franchise has ever seen, both comedy and drama wise. Also since Super was over, a bunch of Toei animators basically felt like showing off, so some episodes are just straight-up movie level animation, or get around TV animation constraints in very wonderful ways. Good comedy too, and some decent messages about hardwork and parenting and all, and the villains have really great, eyecatching iconography/direction in their scenes. That said the early portions are pretty monster of the week-y and it kind of slid into a holding pattern after all the Emiru and Ruru drama was resolved, and currently it's in the middle of a big nostalgia baiting fest due to it being an anniversary series. It's still a very strong series, but unless the ending is incredible I think it'd be below Fresh and GoPri for me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also to contribute to the discussion about it, I'd have been fine with Regina not being Cure Ace or even not becoming a cure if they actually continued with her development instead of basically resetting it. 'She wants to be a good person but is having difficulty getting to that point' is a much more compelling character than 'she wants to be a good person but mind control'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I feel like the best course of action for something like that would be just to make it its own spinoff, ___ precure or whatever

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pink, green, yellow, purple on the shooting star logo so it might be another four girl season like hapcharge or fresh

itd be funny to have a season with a green but no blue, though the text itself has blue

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I could see it being kind of a bluish green just because thats a common color in space

and yeah im hoping for a space themed show too. one of the girls just straight up wanting to be an astronaut or something, thatd rule. plus you could have villains based on classic sci-fi monsters/villains, aliens, frankenstein, a galactic empire, robots, stuff like that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

They should bring back black and white as potential color options (the former is literally just Nagisa at this point, hence why she's grouped in with the Pinks)
Cure Tender!

Larryb posted:

I forget, has there been a season yet where the Pink (or pink equivalent) is not the de facto leader?
Cure Moonlight kind of takes charge of things towards the end of Heartcatch? But Tsubomi is obviously the protagonist and most scenes like that are 'yuri does something, tsubomi backs her up' or 'yuri suggests something, tsubomi agrees with her' so

It'd be cool to have gold or orange in there, since a lot of other magical girl series have that (see: Sailor Venus) and it's a common enough color in sentai. Of course, some of the more metallic colors would be hard to work in as fabric/hair colors unlike sentai where you're dealing with full body armor/tights, but you could do a really cool silver magical girl. Sailor Moon's super modes kinda fall into that category.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

That's weird considering the character debuted in the series first, or is it just her human/Cure form they can't use?
Yeah, it's the cure form they can't use, Mofurun's in all the all-stars movies and she was in the hugtto special, she just didn't transform.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It'd be cool to have a precure that was set in the future instead of just vaguely modern day, if we're talking space precure. Girl that lives in a space colony, or something. Mahotsukai had the magic world that they went back and forth from, so you could do a series where one girl is from the future and one is from present day, maybe? I'm freestyling here.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

... Isn't that what Lulu is?

I mean, kind of, but Lulu's setup is a bit different.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

idk how to tell you this but i dont think the american localizers deserve a reward for taking a show where two guys of similar ages are in love with each other and its treated as something beautiful and special and nobody judges for them, and removing that plot point completely

cardcaptor sakura has a lot of issues, and some of the weird age gap romances are one of them, but there's also an extremely well handled gay relationship in it and the american dub removes literally all of that and also tries to make it appealing to boys by downplaying the fact that it even has a heroine. and, again, removing the gay romances completely. 'award' my rear end, man.

P-Mack posted:

Yikes, I was going to pick up the manga for my daughters but I guess I'll pass if it's well past the Tuxedo Mask line of creeping.
I'd say the anime isn't really worse than Tuxedo Mask. The manga has a relationship between a 13ish year old girl and her teacher, which is gross as gently caress and I won't defend at all, the anime changes that to just a crush she has on him and never really has anything happen that implies he returns the affections beyond letting her have them because she isn't really doing anything to push them.

The age gap relationships the anime keeps are the backstories of Sakura's parents, where they met when her mom was 16 and her dad was 25, and a reincarnated ancient wizard in the body of a young teenage boy telling a grown woman he loves her. Due to the circumstances of the plot that latter one never really goes anywhere beyond their emotional feelings, and obviously he's an ancient wizard so he isn't really mentally a kid, so that one didn't really seem that weird, either. So I don't really think the anime is that bad.

Cardcaptor Sakura is a really weird piece of work on a lot of levels, because CLAMP were weird old ladies emulating a style of manga that was anachronistic even by 90s standards, but I don't think it's without value or deserves to be utterly destroyed by 'localizers' who write things in their official style guides about how creepy Tomoya's crush on Sakura was and how glad they were to remove that gross excess.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 31, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

A United States audience would have a hard enough time accepting the deference and politeness of Sakura's best friend, Tomoyo, as merely a sign of good breeding. But her intense devotion to Sakura -- sewing elaborate costumes for each Clow Card chase, documenting Sakura's successes on video, assuring Sakura that she "really likes" her -- verges on the creepy. No wonder the American version simply paints Madison (the Tomoyo character) as a video obsessive who sees Sakura's adventures as mere camera fodder."

Alvarez IV posted:

I think the localization team needs an award

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

realizing how many 90s anime dubs removed even the vague implication of gay stuff was traumatic to me as a gay kid, in the 90s, is what im saying here

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also pluto gets almost literally nothing to do in the anime

she doesnt get much to do in the manga/crystal either but at least she gets to be kinda mysterious, in the anime its like shes kind of part of the cast but also kind of isnt

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vorpal Cat posted:

I'm sure the producers have perfectly heterosexual explanation for this.

Like to their "definitely not a couple" transformation sequence:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_fpYUv--hY
this kind of posting sucks, imo. you can just say you read them as gay and its cool, this kind of ironic, 'oh they think they're slipping something past us' framing is inherently built on the idea that lesbianism is weird and funny and out of the norm, which is a dumb tact to take intentional or not, especially in a franchise that's had explicit homosexuality in a couple of places. (Mostly the manga, but still)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

Yeah. There's not really any consistent personality type across the Yellows at all.
I'd say yellow cures usually represent the 'feminine?' Luminous is the healer and nurturer, Sunshine obviously has her whole deal, Twinkle is a model, Homare is a figure skater which is obviously kind of a feminine, graceful archetype even if it's contrasted with her casual fashion sense and she's the one that seems most engaged with hugtan a lot of time, lemonade is sweet, custard is kind and shy, etc. Of course 'feminine' is pretty broad, but it's what I'd describe as the trend among them. They all either have subplots explicitly concerned with femininity or a nurturing personality. Kirara's probably the biggest stretch in this regard but.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 6, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also my favorite transformation is cure moonlight just for how hard her va rolls the m

cure mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmoonlight

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hugtan will evolve into a cure in the second to last episode

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people generally count sunshine as yellow and moonlight as purple, and while i can go either way with sunshine, moonlight is definitely silver, just look at her, come on

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what if shes cure yelle

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

First villain to get redeemed without turning into a cure?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They're in some of the All-Stars movies but they never actually get in on the fighting, they're always just the support NPCs for the Splash Stars that show up when everyone is giving their power to the Spirit Bomb, the same way you see like, Tsubomi's grandma as the side characte representative for the heartcatches. (Actually she's even a cure too, so that comparison doubleworks.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Go Princess would be where I'd start if I was taking another stab at licensing it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

Any specific reason why you chose that season in particular?
Partly just because its one of the better ones that they haven't tried yet, plus the setting/themes are so western that it'd probably be an easy fit even from a heavy localization perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

most precure names are really obvious puns/symbolism, yeah. the heartcatches all have flower names (tsubomi is 'flower bud,' erika is named for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erica , itsuki is timber trees, yuri is lilies). Personal favorite is Cure Twinkle, whose family name (Amanogawa) is literally just the Japanese word for the milky way.