Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, the Sailor Moon Eternal movies are finally coming to Netflix on June 3

https://deadline.com/video/pretty-guardian-sailor-moon-eternal-the-movie-hits-netflix-june-3-teaser/

This is one of the few arcs (Dream/SuperS to be specific) I actually liked better in the manga than in the 90’s anime so I’m actually sort of looking forward to these.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In general the 90’s series seemed to use the manga as more of a guideline rather than a strict rule (for example, Rei is almost a completely different person in that series than she is in other Sailor Moon media).

For that matter, didn’t Sailor Stars actually end before its manga equivalent did?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't know but that would explain why they did not use all the Sailor Animamates.

I thought they did, who got left out?

I know the anime had a different ending from the manga at least (and no epilogue either)

Come to think of it, once they’re finally done with Crystal it might be fun if they actually did something new with the franchise one day (or at least do an adaption of Codename: Sailor V)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 30, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah right, and I’m not sure if it’s just me but Sailor Stars itself somehow felt a bit shorter than the other 4 seasons.

So yeah, the show being canceled prematurely and the staff being forced to write their own ending would explain a lot honestly (several other elements of Stars went unused as well, such as Chibiusa’s involvement and Sailor Cosmos).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Unless Toei's not involved, I'd rather they didn't bother.

Crystal is kind of meh (though I am sort of curious about the upcoming Eternal movies since SuperS was much better in the manga than it was in the original anime) but personally I still have a soft spot for the 90’s anime and the live action show.

In my experience it seems like the less involvement Naoko Takeuchi has with a Sailor Moon project the better it winds up being (in my opinion that is and there are some exceptions to the rule)

Though I’d also be fine with them just letting the franchise die in peace after they get around to adapting Stars as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 30, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Crystal Season 2 was very solid.

Season 3 wasn’t bad either (and it gave Ami a brief chance to be a badass at one point as well).

As I mentioned earlier, the Eternal movies are coming to Netflix on June 3. That particular arc is pretty decent in the manga as far as I recall (less so in SuperS) so as long as the animation’s decent it should be a fun ride.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This is the second time Laura has swam through raw sewage for the sake of her mission (she was seen popping out of a manhole back in the first episode), I guess mermaids are apparently fine in any kind of water then.

It’s no Fish Cannon but I do like the new finisher at least. Speaking of, I never quite noticed it in the opening but the bird is not only a combination of their powers but literally each of their main elements (flamingo head, coral hair, papaya body and sun wings)

A slight oddity I noticed, Butler introduced the Zanzen ball to the generals at the end of the previous episode yet here Chongy acts like he’s seeing it for the first time.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 2, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, we got some information on some of the Healin Good episodes we lost due to the hiatus.

https://twitter.com/iid_animedia/status/1387965845846913024

From what I can gather, among the episodes lost were a Hinata episode about fashion, the Christmas episode, and a movie tie-in episode which would have guest starred the Yes 5 team.

Also, the recently released Official Complete Book has a sketch of the main three Healing Animals as humans:

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 2, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Anyway, I’m enjoying Tropical Rouge a lot so far but it would be nice if we got a bit more about Laura’s backstory at some point (I’m still not entirely clear whether she’s actually the Queen’s daughter or not) and what exactly the Witch of Delays is actually trying to accomplish by gathering Motivation Power (I’m also interested in learning more about the relationship between Asuka and Yuriko as it seems like there’s a bit of bad blood there).

Based purely on episode titles however it seems like we’re in for a long stretch of filler instead (possibly until Cure LaMer shows up around the early 20’s or so) but maybe they’ll surprise us.

I’m all for the more Smile-esque lighthearted nature the show seems to be going for so far but there’s also hints at an interesting story underneath it that I really hope they start telling us soon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

After this episode, I definitely get the impression that the seahorse butler is running the show, and the Witch of Delays is just an incapacitated victim of whoever he's really working for. That bit where he told Chongire 'forget about that meal she asked you to cook, we need human energy juice now' was sus as hell. I assume the rest of the manor staff believe that they're grabbing Motivation Power to treat/cure their mistress, and he's funnelling it away for some more sinister purpose.

Well a few episodes back we saw some weird green orb in the Witch’s room they’re apparently funneling energy into but yeah, I’ve been suspecting that Butler is the one really running the show at the moment as well (he claims to speak for the Witch and the other generals somehow obey him despite him appearing to be yet another servant). Not to mention the fact that nobody can apparently go into her room except for him (a fact that Chongy seems to be getting especially pissed about as he’s the Witch’s personal chef and so far all his efforts are getting rejected).

So yeah, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a real villain out there we’ll be meeting later on (if Butler doesn’t turn out to be the big bad himself that is)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 2, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, it’s looking like Tropical Rouge will be about the same length Healin Good wound up being (45 episodes):

https://twitter.com/curehibiki01/status/1387947680668606465

We’ll probably end up losing a few weeks should the Olympics wind up being held this year as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Trailer for the Dub of Sailor Moon Eternal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDnKDYpvEgo&t=107s

Seems like most of the cast from SuperS is back except the horse (I think there was some recent incident involving his VA or something).

I remember this arc being much better in the manga than in the anime so I’m kind of looking forward to these. Hopefully they’ll get to Stars soon so Crystal will finally be over.

Afterwards I’m hoping they’ll either do something new with the series, adapt Codename: Sailor V and/or some of the bonus chapters, or just finally let the franchise die in peace.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 7, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True, I kind of expected they’d do something like this anyway (the show has a very strict toy schedule and I’d imagine both Toei and Bandai would want to get things back on track ASAP).

Doesn’t seem like we’re getting an All Stars movie this year either.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SuperS is one arc I feel was actually done better in the manga (the story is more coherent, the other Guardians actually get some decent development for once, and for some reason a lot of plot stuff from early in the manga arc doesn’t even get mentioned in the anime until near the end, such as Helios and Nehelenia).

The manga arc as also less “The Chibiusa Show” than the anime is and everyone gets more focus in general (also the Outers are actually involved in the plot).

One strange thing they cut was the Amazoness Quartet being revealed to be Sailor Gaurdians from Chibusa’s timeline and despite surviving in both versions they never come back for the Stars adaption (though they do in the manga).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Anyway, back to Tropical Rouge. That was a fun episode, and marked a new stage in Laura's character development (she's starting to get some sort of affection for the land dwellers, even if she fastidiously denies it)

I like that the team roll call phrase changes every time (which I think might be a first for this franchise). Otherwise not a whole lot to say about this one but it was fun.

Given what’s coming in the future and Laura gradually becoming more interested in humans and feeling lonely/jealous I’m curious if we’re going to see her make a Little Mermaid-esque bargain at some point.

Speaking of Laura, we finally got her Lucky Color segment that for whatever reason got cut from the Crunchyroll version of one of the earlier episodes.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 9, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's weird seeing Netflix offer an 'excuslive look' at SuperS because it's been dubbed on Animelab since March

I wonder if that’s a sign that the 90’s series and/or the previous three seasons of Crystal will eventually make it onto Netflix as well.

Also is this “exclusive look” just a synopsis of some kind or is it the whole show?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also, if anyone’s interested, I recently found this playlist containing a lot of the Precure stage shows (none of them have been subbed to my knowledge though)

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGGN0nsJjzLhR7lOiMciMCCe7HoVBlInK

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tropical Rouge 12: Laura continues to have no self preservation instinct, and when she got on the side of public morals committee, that almost led to major trouble for the Cures. Though some quick thinking made Laura into a new "student" who dressed like a delinquent, keeping her safe for the time being.

This was a surprisingly tense episode, with a lot of cute Kururun-on-a-skateboard antics happening on the side. Though it was also a Laura episode, and those are always good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fun episode but I really wish they’d start moving the plot along a little (though the next few episodes seem to be foreshadowing the next stage in Laura’s character arc).

For example, we still don’t really know what the deal with the villains is aside from Butler and the Witch funneling motivation energy into some weird green orb and the other three generals being kept completely out of the loop aside from collecting it for them.

It would also be nice if we learned a bit more about Laura’s backstory and what exactly her relationship to the queen is.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

On the other hand, the last episode had a major subplot about Laura wanting to do more with the cast, this episode is entirely predicated on Laura doing things and pretending to become a student and getting in trouble and the ending reiterates she wants to do more with the rest of the cast, and the next episode is apparently entirely about Laura and some of her back story and more personally relevant information about her (we will apparently finally get stuff about her singing which is allegedly something important to her). It feels like the show is very deliberately doing things to move towards the point where Laura becomes a precure.

Also, the show has been consistently very good with its cast and its themes and its episodes and in a tokusatsu adjacent series like this that is more than enough to carry a show between major plot points.

True, it’s pretty much Smile 2.0 in that sense and I’m still really enjoying it overall. It’s just that there also seems to be an interesting story brewing behind the scenes that I’d like to know more about.

And yeah, the last two episodes (and a few of the upcoming ones based on the titles) are definitely setting things up in regards to Laura’s upcoming evolution (in fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if it comes about by her making a Little Mermaid-esque bargin). I imagine we’ll be seeing Cure LaMer by the early twenties at the latest at this rate.

Plus, to be fair today’s episode gave us Kururun on a skateboard and this amazing image:

Also I appreciate that Asuka doesn’t take crap from anyone and is the first to leap to her team’s defense (Laura somehow being able to walk on her fins while dressed as a student was impressive as well)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 16, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, I’ve been hearing people talking about a Precure-esque show called Balala The Fairies. Anybody know anything about it and if so, is it any good?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

P-Mack posted:

I posted a little about it a long while back in this thread if you want to click on the thing under my name. Short version it's Chinese and the first few seasons are actually direct sequels to a live action show. The first few animated seasons are available subbed on youtube but as far as I know none of the newer seasons or the live action stuff is.

Is what’s currently available worth watching at the very least?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Back to Tropical Rouge, so far in the series most of the villains seem to display some form of lazy behavior:

-The Witch of Delays seems incapable of staying awake for more than a few minutes at the time, always saying she’ll get to things “tomorrow”

-Chongire is single minded, he seems passionate about his cooking but doesn’t really care about anything else

-Numeri is fairly indifferent and nothing really seems to phase her that much

-Elda is a spoiled brat who only wants to indulge in her selfish desires

However, Butler does not seem to display any of these traits and instead seems to act as the de facto leader around the mansion and is always the one giving orders to the others.

Between this and the fact that the other servants seem to keep getting barred from entering the Witch’s room it makes me think that she and the others may possibly just be pawns and either Butler himself is the true mastermind or his real master is who or whatever is inside that green orb and he’s feeding it motivation power in order to awaken it

For that matter, where exactly was Laura during the attack on the mermaid kingdom?

I assume the palace had some kind of safeguards in place and that’s why the queen and Kururun were ok but we just see Laura swimming around outside at the beginning before she notices what happened to her people.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 17, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Our first bit of official Cure LaMer related art has surfaced:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Courtesy of someone on Reddit, we have a few interesting tidbits on Healin Good taken from the Official Complete Book:

-The plan for HG started 2 years ago. (don't know when was this interview taken though)

-HG was meant to be short due to Olympics. Even so they were 1 episode shorter than what they had expected from Olympics because of Covid-19.

-They were already planning the final when hiatus started. How to present HG's story as they've planned became their first priority since then.

-Even after the date for TR's debut had been decided, there was still no grantee that HG's episode 45 could be broadcast safely. Episode 44 was made for true ending, whereas episode 45 was made with cancellation in mind.

-The making of HG was greatly effected by the pandemic. You can only have a max of 4 people dubbing at the same time, seiyuus have to take turns to record. Staffs had a hard time arranging dubbing order in cooperate with the story. This method is still being used today.

-Animators had a hard time doing their work because most reference data were stored in the studio, PMs couldn't run freely collecting drafts either.

-Grace was the hardest character to design for Yamaoka. (She didn't prepared 13 rough drafts for Grace but) she revised Grace for 13 times. At the end she almost scream to herself "who the heck designed this!?" (you, my dear)

-Yamaoka asked Tanakarion about what kind of person Komura is, he told her "she's the kind of person that writes in a realistic way", it was then Yamaoka decided to make some mental preparation.

-Ikeda felt surprised that some people actually opposed episode 42 and saying bad things about Nodoka. She thought it's cruel to ask Nodoka to give up her body and lives, maybe it's not a good idea to make villains looked good.

-Yasumi "But I was the one who strongly demanded a cool villain in order to keep our children and parents watching."

-Ikeda "A character's end is not promised by whether they looked pretty or ugly."

-Ikeda wanted to show the normal face of girls through HG. She noticed that people who had been watching Precure for years might be expecting too much from the cures, so she decided to create cures who cherish about their own feelings more.

-Ikeda "We made the story straightforward for little girls to understand. Of course people can have their own imaginations, but I would suggest taking the story more straightly."

-The staff choose those animals because they're widely loved by children. They know clearly that penguins have no meatballs but still they've done it.

-Yasumi "Well, it's a penguin TYPE, not a true penguin."

-Chiyu's setting had no relation with Olympics. Komura set her to be sporty in contrast of Nodoka. Chiyu is the kind of person which Nodoka would dreamed.

-Komura wrote the Kanshasai story solely for Kanshasai only. It was not a lost episode from the main story.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Sorry, "Penguins have no meatballs"?

Hell if I know, I just copied this directly from a Reddit thread

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pyroi posted:

Probably a weird way to say paw pads.

Apparently this is the case. The paw pad is called nikukyuu(肉球) in Japanese, but if you translate the kanji that represents that word into English as it is, it becomes meatball.

* 肉(niku)is meat.球(kyuu)is ball.

From what I can gather from other interviews, the missing episodes would have involved the following:

-The yearly Christmas episode

-A Hinata episode that would have involved fashion in some way

-A tie-in episode with the series movie ala KiraKira 37 and Star Twinkle 36 that would have involved an appearance by at least a member or two from the Yes 5 team

Also one of the first two apparently would have touched on the subject of Hinata’s mom in some way.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 20, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Laura sure is setting a record for not keeping herself secret in a Precure series huh

Kind of makes me curious if she’ll get any smarter about it once she eventually becomes a Cure herself.

Also the Healin Good movie will be released on DVD July 21st and the mobile game Puyo Puyo Quest is doing a Yes 5 related event:

As for tonight’s episode Rina Hidaka is a great singer, so it's no surprise that this episode was a great one. Manatsu almost blew out the mics, and the episode was overall pretty great. Laura's getting more comfortable interacting with humans, even if she has to make excuses why she so freely walks (on her tail) among them.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 23, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also Manatsu apparently can’t read.

Next week is an Elda episode (kind of appropriate given the subject matter) and since Butler is shown in the preview we might get some slight plot advancement to boot. After that is apparently a body swap episode involving Laura and Minori.

Given all the development Laura’s been getting the past few episodes I wouldn’t be surprised if we wind up seeing Cure LaMer by the early twenties at the latest (as I posted a little bit ago they’re already starting to release merchandise related to her after all)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 23, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I actually think we'll probably end up with Cure LaMer earlier than normal in an attempt to get back on the normal toy release schedule

We already know this show is only going to be like 45-46 episodes so that’d make sense. Maybe around like episode 18 or 20 at the earliest (or at the very least we’ll start the arc leading up to Laura’s transformation around then).

Plus as I’ve mentioned they’ve already started releasing merch related to her:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

We usually get our new Cures just before Japan's summer school break (to have new toys ready) so I'm guessing around that time we'll get Cure LaMer

When does summer break start in Japan then? But yeah, I wouldn’t be surprised if she shows up in the next batch of episode titles (we’re up to 15 last I checked)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tropical Rouge 14: I wasn't expecting that much out of this episode going in, but the block-based MotW was pretty creative. It functioned as a regenerating mecha, and even it changed itself into a dinosaur at one point. It's like an evil, slightly off-model Dynazenon. Not entirely sure why the mere existence of the Precure needs to be kept a secret though.

The subplot with Wataru and Ruri was cute, too, and Laura just keeps endearing herself to the humans. She's one of the best characters Precure's had in years

Next week: Minori and Laura swap bodies, hijinks ensue

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 30, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Here’s next week’s plot for that matter:

quote:

When Minori is suddenly sucked into the Mermaid Aqua Pot, Laura dives in to save her. But when they come out of the Mermaid Aqua Pot, they two girls quickly realize they have switched bodies! The duo are very confused but decide to enjoy a life they don't usually get to experience...

So apparently humans can somehow enter the Aqua Pot as well and Laura potentially getting her first taste of real combat/being a Precure will also be interesting to see.

At the rate things are going I would not at all be surprised if Laura winds up becoming a full member of the team by or before the end of June.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Kururun just being used for Jokes and not actually being used as a proper Precure fairy is also super amusing

Yeah, my guess is she’ll either play some role in Laura’s eventual transformation or she’ll just remain the obligatory cute mascot character and nothing more (in this case either works for me honestly).

After all, Laura is the one already doing all the typical fairy duties in this series (including meeting the protagonist by suddenly slamming into her)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Next week looks fun (especially the shot at the end of the preview) but I kind of wish they didn’t swap their actors as well (body swap episodes are more enjoyable for me when the main actors get a chance to act against type rather than just playing the same character but in someone else’s body)

I hope the preview was being intentionally deceptive though as in this particular case I’d REALLY like to see whether the two actresses could successfully pull off the other’s gimmick.

This is also the second time that Asuka has mentioned her brother, I really hope we get to meet her family at some point (Minori’s as well since we still literally know nothing about them currently).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 31, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cure LaMer’s full design has been revealed:

Finally, a Cure with pants! Looks pretty good too. I imagine the fact that magazine scans are already coming out means that we’ll likely be seeing her in just a few weeks now.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 31, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And here’s her new arsenal:

https://www.reddit.com/r/precure/comments/np6myl/cure_la_mer_merch_attacks_la_mer_stream_ocean/

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And Toei has officially announced Cure LaMer, it seems like she’ll be making her debut around episode 17:

https://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/precure/news/2021060101.php

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m guessing it’ll be a two parter that starts with episode 16 (or maybe even the end of 15). But yeah, I assumed this was going to happen pretty soon.

I’m also very curious as to how she winds up getting her powers/human form as well (and if she can swap back and forth at will or if she’s stuck like that for at least a little while)

That said, I would not be surprised at all if this week’s body swap episode winds up being the catalyst for all this.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In non Precure related news, the Sailor Moon Eternal movies finally hit Netflix tomorrow.

As I’ve said before, the Dream arc is one of the few that I consider to be better in the manga than the original anime (as the former actually gives some much needed focus to the other Guardians for once while the latter basically turns into the Chibiusa Show) so I’m personally looking forward to these honestly.

I wonder how they’re going to handle Stars and if they plan on doing anything else with the franchise afterwards (and adaption of Codename: Sailor V and/or some of the side chapters of the manga could be fun)