Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

I think they made a better dub a little while back but I think I heard somewhere that the original CCS dub was so hacked up that a lot of the fanbase basically considers it an entirely separate series (for one thing, they tried to pretend that Li was the star of the show in a halfassed attempt at making it appeal to boys).

I thought Cardcaptors was this cool Pokemon like show so I guess it worked. (I'm a cis woman though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
The teacher/student relationships in CCS haven't aged all that well. It's very 90s shoujo (see also Marmalade boy).

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

tbf its also just CLAMP. Clamp did all sorts of agegap in the 90s.

Marmalade Boy wasn't CLAMP I don't think.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Chongy is a whole mood

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

macabresca posted:

Wow, Sailor Moon is so much gayer than I thought it'd be

My favourite story is how Japanese censorship accidentally made characters extra gay

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

Don’t think I heard that story, how so?

In the final arc some characters are women who crossdress as men. Well one of those characters gets all romantic with Usagi and the anime execs didn't like that. So they made the characters biological men who transform into girls to fight. Needless to say that awoke some people.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Popputan posted:

Good lord, I'm surprised you actually got through it. I don't think there's any trend in anime I hate more than the "it's THIS, but it's DARK AND SCAWWY!", and the magical girl genre probably got hit the hardest with that (luckily most iterations of it were left as manga and never animated). It's like the animation equivalent of those avatars teenage girls used on MySpace where it's some cartoon character but edited to be goth or whatever. Like, some people can't just make a Pretty Cure anymore, they gotta make a Pretty Cure but there's BLOOD and SUICIDE and GUTS SPILLIN' EVERYWHERE! The joke was tired day one, man!

That whole rant could go on for ages but I'll leave it there. Y'know, Ojamajo Doremi was able to pull off handling darker and sadder messages with wayyy more nuance and depth than MGRP ever could've done. Doremi's so good, you guys...

I blame people watching Madoka and not understanding what made it good

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Honoka and Nagisa are girlfriends.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Precure has risen

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2022-04-21/sailor-moon-holds-30th-anniversary-livestream-on-april-28/.184849

There's gonna be a 30th anniversary livestream for Sailor Moon on the 28th. Maybe we will get Stars arc finally?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bold of you to assume it will actually end next summer

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

BlitznBurst posted:

Like it's incredibly funny to me that Precure 5 Gogo somehow managed to accidentally write a more compelling het ship with Syrup and Urara over the course of roughly 2.5 episodes than Precure 5 attempted to over the course of fifty with Coco/Nozomi and Nuts/Komachi, because with Syrup and Urara they weren't even attempting to write a romance at all and instead they were actually just peers and equals who get along with and relate to each other and it turns out that makes for more compelling chemistry than having two characters blush a lot and calling that romance. Though Ako and Souta were also good, for pretty much the same reasons, and that one was actually intentional! A shame literally none of the other seasons I've watched thus far have really seemed to grasp this.

Watching Precure 5 Gogo and Syrup/Urara is the best het ship. Also is just me or is YesI Precure 5 extremely het? It's like they noticed the yuri fandoms of Futari and Splash Star and decided to put a stop to that.

(Yes I know they aren't going to show LGBT relationships in a kids series, but part of me wonders if its a response to something.)

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Currently hatewatching the new Tokyo MewMew. I don't understand how I can love PreCure, trash franchise supreme, and dislike MewMew, but here we are

I think it's bc MewMew is basically the exact opposite vibe of Futari Wa - they're from pretty much the same era of magical girls and basically kinda stand in opposition to one another. PreCure was all about the existential angst of suddenly having to be a magical girl when you just wanted to be a kid, but everyone in MewMew seems to accept things very quickly and with no resistance. We've shot you full of animal DNA! Now come work in this cafe! what?????

It feels like Nagisa's "Arienai" stands as a rallying cry against the Mew Mew-style shows where poo poo just Happens At The Characters and they accept it with grace and just move on

Kish was also pretty YIKES even as a dumb kid. I mean he just kissed Ichigo without warning. TBF the Male Lead is also really dull so I'm not surprised people ship Ichigo/Kish.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

I forget, do they ever wind up redeeming Kish in some way by the end?

He becomes a Good Guy at the very end but still acts really predatory before then. Dumb kid me didn't buy it.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Nobody likes the sequel AFAIK

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Late to the party but everyone should check out this documentary on Saban Moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdYD5StqHxk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L67YFwnQCQ

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

The Delicious Party movie will be out on DVD in January (meaning we should expect subs sometime early next year):

https://twitter.com/precurenews01/status/1593581793483329537

Also I just learned that Yui’s VA is only 19 years old (which I think might be the youngest actress we’ve had playing a Cure so far):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hana_Hishikawa

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't most anime movies available online (Like the app store) as a theater alternative these days? Idk about Precure, but would it be possible to sub from that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2023-10-26/sailor-moon-naoko-takeuchi-illustrates-single-cover-art-for-blackpink-jennie/.203829

The art looks nice.