Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I didn't know you could vote for multiple people, so I just voted for Tsubomi and Bishin. Is there a way to add more retroactively?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

Literally in fact (Fuwa eats one of Yuni’s cookies that are apparently laced with catnip).

Oh christ, I'm so hype for this. For some reason Fuwa is one of my favorite fairies, she seems like she'd be annoying but I just love her.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I actually really love pink hair Mana, what the hell?

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

Ah, there’s another one then. Also in DokiDoki Rikka kind of obviously had a huge crush on Mana (there was an episode where she felt so jealous over Mana and Makoto hanging out that she was in physical pain).

The Glitter Force version of this was amazing by the way. Instead of Mana's wife, they kept referring to Rikka as Mana's mommy, and I felt terrible laughing at that. The only good thing to come from that dub.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

HeartCatch: The main generals are all named after animals commonly found in the desert

I get Cobraja and Sasorina but I feel like an idiot not knowing what animal Kumojacky is supposed to be.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

On another note, I’ve come to realize that certain aspects of DokiDoki’s plot are very similar to that of Kamen Rider OOO.

Both involve demons of avarice being set free by a king (albeit for vastly different reasons) and also feature a protagonist that is basically selfless to a fault (Eiji/Mana) who winds up getting involved with an (nearly) utterly selfish being connected to the villains of the series (Ankh/Regina). Both of whom eventually have to learn that selfishness and selflessness are two sides of the same coin and you need a healthy balance of both in order to properly function.

There’s also a little bit of Blade in there as well (what with the card theme and the sword themed Precure Makoto Kenzaki sharing a surname with that show’s protagonist). Mana also does a Kamen Rider henshin pose in the first episode but I forget if it was meant to be based on a specific Rider.

That explains why Regina is the best.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I hope Uni just stays feral. Lala goes to school, but Uni's gonna learn how to Earth in the woods with some wolves and just gets called when they need a sixth ranger.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Stupid take: The fact they didn't make the Futari wa dub names Max and Heather is the worst thing in the universe and the only reason I refuse to watch that dub.

Glitter Force isn't that bad, it definitely appealed to the kid in me that still loves DiC Sailor Moon unironically, but I really really wish we had a real attempt to localize it here. I feel like TV networks are terrified of girly junk.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I honestly don't trust anything Precure Wiki says. Sounds like something someone made up for fun, that place is weird.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

Speaking of said episode, why is it that, right after seeing the video of Tenjou, the supervisor immediately turned around and blamed Lala for the theft of the Princess Pen?

Yeah, I thought that was weird too. I guess after the wreckage cleared, the first person they saw was Lala, who has been mysteriously AWOL, shown up with passengers from a planet they're not allowed to talk about, and also holding a star pen after a huge attack by hostile foreign powers. Makes sense they'd be a little suspicious at the very least.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

The red bottle might be related to their 5 Cure attack instead of a new Cure? It feels pretty late in the game for an out of nowhere 6th ranger, and the only character that's had enough focus to avoid another Aguri situation is like... Aiwan? Which I kinda want now that I've said it, that'd be amazing. Sakurako would be fun too, but I feel like she hasn't had enough focus yet.

They might just pull an OOO's and have them lose all the star pens due to some evil plot or something near the end, and resolving character arcs by revisiting those plots with a second star pen adventure as a callback. That's all I can really think of off the top of my head for where they'd go from there, but that would feel pretty repetitive. We did just get to Saman though, and it seems to be Precure Star Fleet so maybe we can have some more insight into Earth's place in the world. The director, stuff about Hikaru's dad being a secret alien or something (I don't remember if we disproved that). Maybe when the AI does a bad and helps the villains on accident or whatever, Earth will be the front runners to teach Saman about cool stuff like basic math and ~imagination~.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

God yeah, I hope they don't lose the star pens. I kinda hope the princesses actually get to do something. And ditto on Madoka's dad, I'm really hype for the payoff on that.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Star Twinkle rules, for sure. I dunno if I like it more than Hugtto, but those two are definitely the best seasons in a loooong time for me.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Usually happens in October, I always talk about it when I stream Precure movies on my birthday to friends that don't care about Precure.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

If Doki Doki was supposed to be OOO's we got cheated out of magical girl cake boss.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I'm pretty sure Mana did a Kamen Rider pose in the first episode of DokiDoki, but it's been awhile that might have been Miyuki or Megumi.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

I mentioned that when I said DokiDoki was basically Pretty Cure OOO, yes. I think the pose in question was specifically meant to be Kamen Rider Accel’s (complete with an elongated cry of “Henshin!”).

Oh poo poo ignore me I'm stupid.

Also yeah, a Gokaicure would be rad, especially if we got to see older versions of some Cures. No idea how they'd handle the transformations sequences, maybe just do the HaCha thing where they have the hair salon cover dress thingy?

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

God yes, the going to other planets stuff is the best thing about this already good as hell season.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Lala is so good, easily in my top 3 cures ever. And I'm really glad we've gotten more green cures lately, too. It always felt underrepresented with just Komachi and Nao for so long. I dunno where I'd place Star Twinkle honestly, maybe like fourth or fifth? I hope it ends on a strong note though, it's definitely one of the most fun series so far.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Pink: Blossom, I related a lot to her as a teenager. I think I'm pretty different now, but she's been my favorite Cure since I started, and every rewatch of Heartcatch has cemented that. She has such a good heart, and is really compassionate and just. Aghh, I wanna be like her when I grow up. (Also my net handle comes from her technically)

Lovely is a close second, I love how energetic she is. Lollipop Hip Hop is also my favorite magical girl outfit design ever, that definitely helps.

Blue: Beat, for sure. Her arc becoming a Cure made me cry a lot. I love cats and reformed villians, and also her hair is a loving guitar holy poo poo she rules so hard. Marine is also really good, obviously, but Beat just hits a lot of character niches I'm weak to.

Yellow: Etoille. I have no idea why, but she was my favorite Cure in Hugtto. Something about her felt so much more real and grounded than the others, and I thought her overcoming her trauma to become a Cure was one of the best introductory arcs this show has ever had, and her friendship with Henri and crush on Harry were really adorable. I kinda agree on her design not being great in Cure form, but I felt that way about everyone in Hugtto.

Red: Passion, weak to villians into Cures trope and junk I said earlier. Plus she has my favorite civilian design by far.

Purple: Moonlight!! Mostly because of the reasons you said, and I'm biased as gently caress towards Heartcatch in general.

Green: Milky. Precious idiot martian daughter. I really really feel for her, and her design in all forms is cute as hell.

White: Probably Honoka? I don't have strong feelings about any of the white Cures, but I definitely like Honoka the best.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Honestly, I classified Beat as a purple Cure until like eight posts ago.I really like Itsuki and Yuri being classified as Gold and Silver, but I like them as yellow and purple too. Gold and silver feels special and cool, but it's kinda a trend breaker.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Except Aguri, that should of been Regina

Good point, can I change my red vote to Regina and pretend she was Ace?

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

"Physical fighting isn't for little girls"

For a thread on the history of a primarily feminine genre, it sure has some sexist ideas.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

The LED helmet is sick as hell. I love the villain designs this season so much.

Also I teared up a bit during Hikaru's fight in episode 31. Solo pink cure fights always mess me up.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Oh yeah, I saw the first episode of that awhile back. It's one of the better fandubs I've seen for sure, the audio mixing could use a lot of work, but the acting itself is pretty tight. They're recording remotely and it's pretty much impossible to get audio levels to match up perfectly with that, but still the music sounds so out of place or low volume a lot of the time.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I don't think it's public how much they own. If I had to guess, they own the rights for the two seasons of Glitter Force already out there. Toei America has been putting out tweets about Precure, probably to gauge audience interest in the west. They might be taken the feedback for that and figure out what to do with Hasbro going forward. Hasbro's complete silence kinda suggests they aren't really keen on the brand at all and need convincing from Toei to do something with it. There are a lot of people that really love Glitter Force, just typing it into Twitter and you see way more people that talk about loving it more than people hating it.

Glitter Force isn't the best compromise, but I'd gladly take Happiness Charge Glitter Force if the alternative is nothing. But also please just give me box sets and official subs please it's my birthday mister Hasbro, I'd spend hundreds of dollars on a Heartcatch box set in a heartbeat.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I just don't think they're convinced the toys would sell over here, since literally no Glitter Force merch has happened. I think if they actually did dub Precure and put it on Cartoon Network or something it would do loving amazing. Feels like the chance of it happening gets less feasible by the year and it just makes me more depressed.

New Sailor Moon sounds cool, but I don't know what they could do with it. Seems like the story's pretty over and done with.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

True enough, yeah. A Sailor V anime would be pretty neat. I remember when they announced Crystal there were rumors that it would be about ChibiUsa and the other senshi's kids, and I am curious what that would be like.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Leo Lala is the cutest thing I've ever seen and I will die for her.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Oh my god, those outfits are adorable. I haven't watched a PreCure movie since like HaCha but I kinda wanna see this.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I just saw those last year and it blew my mind. They actually kept the Japanese names and junk, that's like my dream version of localized PreCure.

Also I love Happiness Charge, it's so dumb in the best way possible and the animation is a big part of that.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Yeah, Happiness Charge has a lot of flaws for sure. I mostly agree with your complaints. It's the most "turn your brain off and enjoy this stupid thing" season of PreCure and I really appreciate that. Also it has the best outfits in any season, and Lollipop Hip Hop is legit my favorite magical girl design ever.

Kira Kira I never finished, but it has Gelato's transformation sequence where she does the thing with the jacket and pulls only one sock up because it looks more punk rock. That ruled.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

The title Healin' Good owns, what the gently caress? I'm so down for VetCure.

The logo is pink and green though, and the All Stars poster suggested there's only two new cures at the start of the season. Having a doctor theme with zero blue cures is really funny to me for some reason, hope that ends up being the case.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

That's really cute, I kinda hope it's real. It feels way too early to have legit leaks out, but I'd be pretty happy if those two were the new cures.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

That leak ended up being fake and I'm kinda bummed. It seemed the most believable so far. https://twitter.com/PastelPyon/status/1192807929109471232

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Ditto on the art style. I was really doubting they would have gotten Umakoshi back since he's busy with HeroAca, but I still had hope. I know my Heartcatch bias is coloring it, but I really think they might do something for the tenth anniversary. Even something small, it would make me so happy.

I'm way behind on Star Twinkle, haven't watched since the first episode where Fuwa was a unicorn. How's it been?

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Yeah, I've got a stack of Anon subs and raws I haven't gotten around to yet. Glad to hear it's still good, though. Thanks!

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I love Nao, she's my favorite Smile Cure, but someone being a less interesting version of her is saying a LOT. I don't disagree, though. And I love everything I've seen from the movie, there's a gif of Hikaru and Lala transforming from it that is legitimately gorgeous. Kinda makes me wanna go watch other PreCure movies outside of the handful of All Stars and the Heartcatch and HaCha ones.

Anyway, it's the weekend, I have no plans, so I'm just gonna bury myself in blankets and pizza rolls and catch upon StarTwi. Thanks, y'all.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I watched up through 38. The dog police girl is my new favorite character, she deserves to be a Cure.

Also yeah, this is definitely a fun season. It feels lacking, but I'm not sure why. I'm not actively going "God, I miss Hugtto" when I watch it, it's fun enough and has enough merit, it just feels slightly off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

I liked Mary Ann a lot more than I was expecting to and hope she shows up again outside of the movie. But yeah, the show has potential but for some reason it seems hesitant on actually pulling the trigger on it most of the time (and unless the lost planets get restored somehow or turn out to be hidden inside the black hole outside NotRaider HQ then we’ve already racked up a pretty big body count for a Precure series as well). Hopefully we’ll get a decent final arc out of this though.

I also found it odd that Yuni was the one to apologize to Aiwan when the latter basically stole her entire life from her. Granted, Yuni did betray Aiwan’s trust and cost her the only home she’s probably ever known but it still doesn’t exactly sound like an equal tradeoff to me. That said, Aiwan will definitely be back for the finale so hopefully there will be another chance to settle all this.

This might sound weird, but Star Twinkle's like a Happiness Charge that is objectively better, but I like less. It has so many cool concepts and good characters but they just exist in a world that feels kinda empty.

I thought Yuni forgiving Aiwan was really powerful, but her apologizing was weird, yeah. Especially since her people are still dead and/or in a refrigerator. Also felt kinda iffy about the half Mexican girl hanging out with a cactus man with a sombrero for her focus episode. Weird season, but it's fun and Lala is cute.