Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popputan
Jul 27, 2021

Mahou Shoujo brainrot syndrome. It's terminal.
This show came out a while back so it's not any real fresh input, but I just finished Moetan after being recommended it for some odd years. I've honestly never been as underwhelmed with an extremely lame gimmick show as much as I had this one, it left the worst taste in my mouth that I'm still trying to get out.
Have any of you had any similar experiences with a mahou shoujo lately? Just anything you felt wasted your time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popputan
Jul 27, 2021

Mahou Shoujo brainrot syndrome. It's terminal.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I've avoided most of the bad edgy shows...but that's cause I actually ended up watching all of Magical Girl Raising Project and yeah...it's the worst
Good lord, I'm surprised you actually got through it. I don't think there's any trend in anime I hate more than the "it's THIS, but it's DARK AND SCAWWY!", and the magical girl genre probably got hit the hardest with that (luckily most iterations of it were left as manga and never animated). It's like the animation equivalent of those avatars teenage girls used on MySpace where it's some cartoon character but edited to be goth or whatever. Like, some people can't just make a Pretty Cure anymore, they gotta make a Pretty Cure but there's BLOOD and SUICIDE and GUTS SPILLIN' EVERYWHERE! The joke was tired day one, man!

That whole rant could go on for ages but I'll leave it there. Y'know, Ojamajo Doremi was able to pull off handling darker and sadder messages with wayyy more nuance and depth than MGRP ever could've done. Doremi's so good, you guys...