Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

You're doing Gods work their Murgos, never stop harvesting these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I'm the kind of insanely boring guy that can't bring himself to play as Germany in HOI4 because of political reasons, so all these SS fanboys crying their eyes out really pleases me. GG Eugen.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

John Charity Spring posted:

I particularly like this one:

because it gets all the numbers/designations wrong while pretending to be knowledgeable about history/technical specifications.

Also SS don't surrender isn't borne out by the whispers that their surrenders weren't accepted.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Also the Luftwaffe really shouldn't be in this game. As source I refer you to the classic german soldier joke:

"If it's a silver plane, it's the USAAF. If it's a grey plane, it's the RAF. If there isn't any plane up there, it's the Luftwaffe."

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

BigglesSWE posted:

I'm the kind of insanely boring guy that can't bring himself to play as Germany in HOI4 because of political reasons, so all these SS fanboys crying their eyes out really pleases me. GG Eugen.

:same:

Also, very few things in this world I detest more than wehraboos. And as a reenactor, I come across way too many of them.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

Also, very few things in this world I detest more than wehraboos. And as a reenactor, I come across way too many of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiLVAz-Jczg

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah, I know it's only a game, and I'm sure I'll try German battlegroups, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to play as a SS division, at least Das Reich aren't in it, which considering Eugen is French is probably not surprising.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

^^ Yeah, I'm not saying you are a nazi for playing with the 12th SS, but I'll probably pass.

Also I've always been a RAF fanboy (google Biggles) so there's that. Them Germans can't satisfy my Mosquito itch!

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 11, 2017

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I'm going to exclusively play the SS and blindly rush and lose terribly, and then tell the other players that its a historical reenactment

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

quote:

quote:
I have an M3a1 kill 2 panthers and 3 panzer IJ one shotting each ammo explosion, seems so far not impressed with the game, us 60 cal are killing all my halftracks and my 30mm cannons on the half tracks can't do anything to them. The best part was when my SS infantry surrendered, i started to laugh, SS doesn't surrender not during normandy

Have you not heard of the Panzer: Imperial Japanese operating in Normandy?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Control Volume posted:

I'm going to exclusively play the SS and blindly rush and lose terribly, and then tell the other players that its a historical reenactment

Nice.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Control Volume posted:

My hero.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

DumbparameciuM posted:

Has anybody tried using the "Attack Ground" command with the flame tanks to get forests/hedgerows on fire for easy smoke cover ala Wargame?

Can they indirect fire (e.g. over walls, small buildings") like they could in Wargame?

I believe they actually changed Wargame (in an patch during ALB) so that you specifically could not do this with flame tanks because using them to just hose down entire forests and panic/destroy infantry within became too powerful. I believe you can only fire them at things they have LOS on.

Colonial Air Force posted:

I have a friend from high school who re-enacted in a Wehrmacht unit. He wasn't/isn't a wehraboo in any sense and had a fairly appropriate historical perspective, but looking back there are some photos of us together that I hope never leak out should I ever decide to run for public office.

He did, however, teach me the term "Farby" which is something I deeply value and need to evangelize more.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 11, 2017

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Hubis posted:

I believe they actually changed Wargame (in an patch during ALB) so that you specifically could not do this with flame tanks because using them to just hose down entire forests and panic/destroy infantry within became too powerful. I believe you can only fire them at things they have LOS on.

Pretty sure it was RD when they changed that although I might be conflating it with the time naval artillery was indirect fire. Kongos were loving ridiculous for a brief moment.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This all reminds me of when I was a teen and joined a 1st SS Liebstandarte clan that played Red Orchestra. They turned out unsurprisingly be a bunch of Nazi sympathizers but I still played with them for a long time cause I really enjoyed the game. Looking back that was a messed up group of people.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jack2142 posted:

Actually the German Engineers learned from the Viking Masters of Sweden and the Artisan Smiths of Japan how to create the perfect steel by folding in a million times to create a tank impenetrable to the guns of the allies who had to cheat and use airplanes to destroy the Aryan Armor.

After playing as the Allies for hundreds of hours in COH2, which seems to have been made by people who unironically believe this post, I'm getting more and more tempted to pick this game up...

I bought Red Dragon ages ago, but found it impenetrable, so Normandy's focus on smaller decks and seperate phases sounds like something I could actually parse.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Insert name here posted:

The H also gains a point of accuracy, going from 4 accuracy to 5 on an (alleged) scale of 10.

pedro0930 posted:

House hit by flamethrower starts burning and forces the occupant out. Infantry flat can't get in burning building. They don't cause instant break though now I have more experience with them...but they do a lot of morale damage. And yeah, with that range you need to be fighting house to house for it to work.

Thanks, added!

BigglesSWE posted:

Yeah I probably disqualified myself from office for that post.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Playing the Blitzkrieg mod for Company of Heroes can be pretty challenging if you just want to comp stomp as the allies. Every single game is hosted by a player with random German general name and always as the Germans factions.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
https://www.reddit.com/r/Steel_Division/comments/64rh3v/actual_aaa_groundair_range/

From reddit:

quote:

code:
Name            Groundtarget      Airtarget
Humber AA       600               800
M4A1 (.50cal)   800               1000
M16 MGMC        800               1000
TRI-Polsten     800               1200
CMD-Polsten     800               1200
M15 CGMC        800/1000          1000/1600
Crusader AA     1000              1600
Bofors          1000              1600

quote:

code:

Name 		Groundtarget 	Airtarget
SdKfz 251/17 	800 		1200
Flak 38 20mm 	800 		1200
Wirbelwind 	800 		1200
Flakvierling 	800 		1200
Flak 36 37mm 	1000 		1600
Möbelwagen 	1000 		1600
Flak 41 88mm 	1200 		2400

edit: these are the ranges for the various equipment against ground and air, respectively.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 11, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

This is why the best axis power to play as is Italy, sure they were awful, but they were so lovely they dont have an awful wheraboo following, plus clowning people as Italy is hilarious.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Jack2142 posted:

This is why the best axis power to play as is Italy, sure they were awful, but they were so lovely they dont have an awful wheraboo following, plus clowning people as Italy is hilarious.
In the last WW2 Eugen game, Italy was actually OP as gently caress and it was glorious.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Tulip posted:

Yeah I probably disqualified myself from office for that post.

Depends on the office
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pje5ROe5Y_w

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Ein Sexmonster posted:

In the last WW2 Eugen game, Italy was actually OP as gently caress and it was glorious.

Oh I know RUSE Italy and France were my go to nations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Control Volume posted:

Deptfordx posted:

Yeah, I know it's only a game, and I'm sure I'll try German battlegroups, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to play as a SS division, at least Das Reich aren't in it, which considering Eugen is French is probably not surprising.

It's kind of a shame because Das Reich would be perfect for Control Volume's gimmick. They got loving wrecked at Mortain.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Murgos posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steel_Division/comments/64rh3v/actual_aaa_groundair_range/

From reddit:

edit: these are the rangers for the various equipment against ground and air, respectively.

Reddit posted:

I suggest Eugen to stick to either Range against Groundtargets OR Range against Airtargets. This Inconsistency is just...

Oh, you dear child. Paging Xerxes17 and Shanakin to share Wargame horror stories...

Speaking of which, do you two think they internalized and used any of your data-driven balancing stuff from Wargame into this?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Popete posted:

This all reminds me of when I was a teen and joined a 1st SS Liebstandarte clan that played Red Orchestra. They turned out unsurprisingly be a bunch of Nazi sympathizers but I still played with them for a long time cause I really enjoyed the game. Looking back that was a messed up group of people.

I still use the email address I used to join Standarte Westland (Ghost Recon clan) because I live in Cornwall and I can tell people the sw_ stands for South-West.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Hubis posted:

So the M5A1 rush is definitely A Thing, huh? I managed to make good use of the Pubbiefly to bounce it pretty hard which I think warrants it's place in the deck, but man that's annoying. Also, Destruction games in general.

Yeah, if I rush M5A1s, I usually have a lot of success for about two and a half minutes and then the butterfree shows up and fillets me.

Also, to address some earlier discussions:

I think recon is actually still really important, because it's the difference between being able to set up clever antitank ambushes and having every single one of your towed antitank and antiaircraft guns destroyed methodically by air strikes while a handful of yokels with a pair of binoculars in a bush behind the lines chuckle to each other.

Infantry mortars are really good defensive tools because they have a very quick fire time on smoke at close or even medium ranges. You can pop it out a couple hundred meters and then force the enemies to come up really close to you, or bracket one side of a road with smoke so you can fast move down it to flank an overextended enemy, or let your infantry sprint to the next hedge. Or you can fake doing each of those things. It's great and doesn't take time away from your bigger guns which are either throwing smoke a lot farther out or dealing damage. Something I've done as 3rd Armored is just smoking right in front of a Panther, over and over again to bait him out to come a little closer each time. People really fall for it! They think it's safe! Once you do it three times, you fast move your Shermans up and then when the Panther comes out again they aren't 900m away but at a nice cozy 500m for a party.

I really like the way terrain works in this game since it's usually really clear how lines of sight work and its possible to just really set things up for satisfying flank shots and ambushes.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 11, 2017

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Jack2142 posted:

My thoughts exactly. Italy is loving ridiculous.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Tulip posted:

I did a similar thing for the HJ. Let me know how I should edit this (shorter, more detail, just plain wrong, whatever).

~

Tanks
The only other phase A tank is the Bef. Panzer IIC for 65pts (2x1), which is pretty much only useful for leadership, with only 4AP and 4FAV.

~

Support

the SDKFZ 250/9 with 4AP for 35pts (2x3), which eh;

The other phase A unit I don't particularly like is the Opel Blitz Munitions for 50pts (1x2), I haven't yet run out of ammo in phase A.

~

Artillery
I don't like Phase A artillery as a rule, and the 85 pt SDKFZ 250/7 (3x1) mortar carrier doesn't really change my opinion.

Thanks for the write up, but a few things.

The Bef.Panzer 2C is worth taking at times because it is immune to MG fire and AC lets it chew through not-tanks like nothing. The leadership boost it gives is huge and can let it function as a forward command when your Pz.Grens are charging the enemy. Next, the SDKFZ 250/9 is amazing as this auto-cannon will menace anything at Phase-A short of a Sherman and at 35pts is actually fairly cheap. Howeverm, they do tend to blow through thier AC ammo fast which means you'll need to take Opel Blitz Munitions in Phase-A too. Lastly, Phase-A mortars can let you do some really great stuff and I'm a huge believer in them. I recently won a Phase-A town fight against 12.SS as 3.Arm with hardly any losses because my Mortar shelled their end of town, which kept them pinned and then laid down smoke to stop supporting vehicles or their firefly from shooting me.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

xthetenth posted:

It's kind of a shame because Das Reich would be perfect for Control Volume's gimmick. They got loving wrecked at Mortain.

That's what happens when you use up all your ammo before you get to the front line.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Hubis posted:

It was absolutely something you could do in Red Dragon, and was the main reason I had a zippo card in every US deck I built.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
They were okay in Red Dragon, but European Escalation was the game which showed us that, in any WW3 scenario, flame tanks would have been pivotal strategic assets that whole battles revolved around.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
God I loved and still love EE. Best Wargame thus far imho.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
WWII is cool and all but I hope at some point they make Steel Divison: Able Archer 83 because I want to play Wargame but with phases, frontline, and infantry play that isn't total rear end

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Late 50's to early 60's would be the sweet spot imo.

Definitely gotta keep the Division deck system too rather than just general nations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

343rd Space Cavalry "Oprah's Finest"

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
They could probably do magical things with WW1.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Gamerofthegame posted:

They could probably do magical things with WW1.

I was thinking that today, too (but I still want Eastern Front first).

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Yeah, if I rush M5A1s, I usually have a lot of success for about two and a half minutes and then the butterfree shows up and fillets me.

Also, to address some earlier discussions:

I think recon is actually still really important, because it's the difference between being able to set up clever antitank ambushes and having every single one of your towed antitank and antiaircraft guns destroyed methodically by air strikes while a handful of yokels with a pair of binoculars in a bush behind the lines chuckle to each other.

Infantry mortars are really good defensive tools because they have a very quick fire time on smoke at close or even medium ranges. You can pop it out a couple hundred meters and then force the enemies to come up really close to you, or bracket one side of a road with smoke so you can fast move down it to flank an overextended enemy, or let your infantry sprint to the next hedge. Or you can fake doing each of those things. It's great and doesn't take time away from your bigger guns which are either throwing smoke a lot farther out or dealing damage. Something I've done as 3rd Armored is just smoking right in front of a Panther, over and over again to bait him out to come a little closer each time. People really fall for it! They think it's safe! Once you do it three times, you fast move your Shermans up and then when the Panther comes out again they aren't 900m away but at a nice cozy 500m for a party.

I really like the way terrain works in this game since it's usually really clear how lines of sight work and its possible to just really set things up for satisfying flank shots and ambushes.

I think there are a lot of people playing a sort of tunnel vision version of the game. Some are playing an infantry focused fortification game (which isn't essentially wrong but there is so much more you can do with infantry (when the terrain allows) than hold up in a town). And a large contingent are also just playing tank game and kind of ignoring everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
My blind spot, like it was in Wargame, is artillery (and mortars). I often forget to make use of them, even if I have them on specific control groups. I'm getting a little better but they're definitely the units I make the least use of.