Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I finally tried out the Luftlande division last night against the AI. Whats up with the Flak 88 and it's super short range? It seems to have less range than a standard PaK gun.

Also I am very bad at this game, my RTS micro skills are terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Deptfordx posted:

Well, played two games so far. Easy victory on, well easy. Tried Medium and the AI kicked my arse with 15 minutes left on the clock.

Gonna have to play a few more games to get a feel for combined arms and synergies before I want to venture online.

Very pleased so far however. I'd give the game a solid 8 out of 10 grogs on the grognard scale and that's before the Campaign, extra battlegroups, etc etc are added.

Same things been happening to me on Medium, feel like there is a sharp difficult bump in the AI.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Have the said how many divisions will be in release?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The setting, 3 phase system and the narrower unit scope for each division has made me enjoy this game so much more than Wargame. I feel like I can competently put together a deck.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Wargame was overwhelming as a casual player and I quickly gave up on multiplayer because I felt like I could never figure out how to build a decent deck much less counter one of the other trillion combos.

Steel Division is much more manageable.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This all reminds me of when I was a teen and joined a 1st SS Liebstandarte clan that played Red Orchestra. They turned out unsurprisingly be a bunch of Nazi sympathizers but I still played with them for a long time cause I really enjoyed the game. Looking back that was a messed up group of people.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's been said in this thread but the voice acting and lines in SD are bad.

I doubt most soldiers were walking around saying "We'll be home by Christmas" constantly AFTER landing in Normandy.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sufficient AA might be damaging a plane so that it needs to be repaired before coming back to the field. That will increase it's time out of play which might be enough for whatever you're doing.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

I was considering buying this game and just wanted to confirm that I can play as the waffen SS whom I find interesting from a lore perspective. Asking for a friend.

You can play as the Hitler Youth.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Perhaps there could be a accuracy modifier. Like if a plane is taking AA fire the more/closer the AA is firing at the plane the higher the modifier rises and the ordinance can land outside the target area. For instance a FW-190 could be taking 3 AA guns firing at it and it gets a -%30 accuracy modifier meaning the bomb can land anywhere within %30 of the target location.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Have they discussed ever having paratrooper actually arrive by plane? I think phase B paratroopers would be awesome.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

John Charity Spring posted:

They discussed it, to the effect of 'it's not gonna happen'.

Any particular reason? I assume they tested it and it was just too difficult to balance.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I understand paratroopers don't work by dropping into the middle of a fight but this is a game that lets you direct aircraft too attack specific tanks/ground targets so there is some concessions too fun and play ability. Paratroopers dropping in would be a cool cinematic if not very realistic.

My guess is it was a pain in the butt to balance infantry being able to drop in behind the enemy and so Eugen just went with "It's not realistic" to end the conversation.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hubis posted:

Out of the box question: How useful should AA actually even feel?

If historical plausibility is at least somewhere in the top tier of goals, how much was integrated air defense part of the plan/how effective was it in downing enemy planes (versus fighter cover)? I feel like we're all operating under the Wargame "modern SAM" or traditional RTS "hard counter" model where AA is what you buy to prevent enemy planes from attacking you (hell, it's even in the name). But maybe it's more correct (and potentially equally fun/interesting, just in a more nuanced way) to use it more as a deterrant/debuff.

Maybe getting bombed to poo poo and not being able to do a goddamn thing about it without air cover of your own is just something people need to expect and adjust to in a game about the war that basically birthed modern air doctrine(s). The lesson the US took away from the war was "air superiority is super effective and we should rely on it as a core part of our war-fighting strategy" while the USSR learned "OK we need to develop way better air defenses" [oversimplifications abound].

I agree with this, I actually like how it's done in this game. Either you suck it up and deal with planes harassing you knowing that your opponent is dumping a lot of points into something that has a long cool down. Or you get good and learn how to setup propper AA cover with fighters to take them out. I just think everyone is too used to Wargame were aircraft were easily sniped or a single SAM site could effectively block off a big chunk of the map.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
As a scrub tier player I've been having a lot of fun playing 2v2 with my friend versus the AI. This game is great and for casual players like myself it feels a lot more accessible than any of the Wargames.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO6OaVnbqaY

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How do you use AT infantry effectively? I can never seem to get them close enough to an enemy tank before they are spotted/pinned and wiped out.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

nessin posted:

You either distract the tank in another direction while rolling the AT Gun around a corner just enough to see it and quickly setup to fire. Or you use them in a ambush role. Bring one in and get it setup just behind your lines, then fall back such that your opponent has to drive past a stand of trees/buildings or turn into a long open road where you've got the AT Gun setup to fire.

By AT infantry I meant panzerschreck or bazooka teams sorry. It's usually a small 2 man squad but they still get spotted and pinned almost instantaneously and their weapons have a very short range.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Finally beat a Medium AI in 1v1. Let me know if I can help any of you Nubs with pointers :smug:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Idk I think people are getting unreasonably upset over 3rd armour not having every American tank. Game is still in beta, it's cool discuss balance changes and realistic division loadouts and yeah maybe that dev is giving bad reasons for why it's not in the 3rd armour deck but at the end of the day it probably just comes down to balance and that's a good enough excuse for me. We still have like 8 more divisions to see.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

So do you agree or disagree though lol

I'm bad at this game and don't have a strong opinion on if it should or shouldn't be in 3rds deck.

But yeah everyone was kinda dog piling on this one forums dev who may or may not even be in control of deck balances and it seemed like some weird carry over from the Wargames thread and had less to due with actual game balance discussion. The games still in beta with a lot of divisions still to come so before everyone starts dog piling on Eugen being garbage for not including a specific tank in one divisions deck maybe we just wait and see what happens. I feel like these weird dev arguments are off putting for people new to these kinda games, myself included.

More Wehraboo trolling on the Paradox forums please

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've been leaning towards loading up on bomb carrying planes instead of AT rockets. AT rockets even with a high AP never seem to kill anything even lightly armoured stuff. At least with a bomb I can 1 shot an AA or AT gun and put the hurt on some infantry.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Generation Internet posted:

In my experience it's usually enough to right click on a Panther with an AT Typhoon to kill it

Huh, maybe I've just been really unlucky then. I can usually get them to panic but that's about it, I seem to never get a kill even on medium tanks.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

underage at the vape shop posted:

If you only lost 1 side the driver could just leave that side in neutral/put the brakes on and drag the tank around with the good side.

I know this is a video game but in reality the chances of that actually working well enough before completely burying your busted side into the ground is probably pretty slim.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

reagan posted:

Another tank game that is awesome is Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942 upgraded with fan made mods.

Thanks for this! I had been trying to remember the name of this game recently. Gonna see if I can pick it up somewhere.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Murgos posted:

Got a bazooka kill on a panther earlier. Was pretty stoked about that.

Also had a Stuart last the whole game sniping things as they came around corners. Had a crazy number of kills probably 500 pts worth of stuff.

Yeah I've been figuring out how to use AT infantry. Last game I played I had a single bazooka squad take out a Panther and Firefly, it was extremely satisfying.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Somebody please call that number, I want to hear the interview process.

"Could a Stuart ever penetrate a Panther under any circumstances?"

"Uhhhh, no"

"Welcome aboard!"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MonkeyLibFront posted:

I'm still debating to take mg crews or not, seems like a waste of a slot but especially with the brits the brens just don't seem to suppress as well it have the range.

Yeah I've been back and forth on MG squads as well. I think it's map dependent. If it's Colembelles and you are going to be in the Steel Works having an MG squad or two is very useful for repelling infantry pushes but out in the open hedgerows they don't seem all that useful.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Played a 10v10 match tonight. I had the far left flank on Colembelle. I was watching the replay and by Phase B the player I was facing off against had 12 artillery and 6 AA guns on their side. I'm assuming it was 2 players massing their arty together. They hit my forces with a huge barage including 4 nebelwerfers. My entire line panicked and retreated. Fortunately it doesn't seem they thought things through because they had hardly any infantry available to push forward and I ended up rebounding with some help from my next ally and pushing almost all the way back into their spawn.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Maybe the end of AT gun sniping with planes in Phase A? drat.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Infantry are important for actually taking and holding map area. You can't afford enough armour only to hold %51 of the map, you need infantry to hold forest and make the enemy think you could attack from anywhere. Manipulating the front line is important.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Unlike a true grog game it's pretty easy to jump into without reading some Russian guys 400 page tutorial/manifesto.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the medium AI is a pretty solid challenge don't feel bad if you can't beat it right away. Also allies seem a lot easier to start as, it took me a lot longer to start beating medium AI with Germany.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Playing all these armoured divisions with only 3 air slots has made me appreciate 91 Luftlande more. Being able to reliably route an entire push from anywhere on the map is a huge advantage.

HS 129 are very under appreciated. They can easily snipe Sherman's and keep back an enemy push.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think the biggest issue I've run into as Germany is getting melted by U.S. halftrack spam. Their units are cheaper and they almost all get half tracks with .50 cals that will melt a 55 point Pz Gren squad like butter and since they are so expensive it's easy to fall behind just trying to keep enough infantry on the field. It's very easy to run out of infantry early as Germany well the Allies get a seemingly endless supply of cheap infantry.

EDIT: To add onto that, it feels like the Allied divisions are good all around but not particularly great at any one thing. Where as the German divisions each have a unique gimmick that sometimes will work really well but can easily leave you in a bind early on that is hard to recover from.

Popete fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 8, 2017

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pacific would be awesome but I don't know how you would balance it without it being a very different game. Japan was pretty far behind the U.S. in terms of tanks/small arms and support guns.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Japanese infantry don't panic or surrender.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
All you have to do to counter a KT is have everything set up perfectly so that you are flanking every possible corridor with an AT capable unit, have smoke blocking all lines of sight and the other guy doesn't have any other units/tanks supporting his KT.

It's pretty easy to counter :smug:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Luftlande HS 129 planes are the best in the game. They destroy​ Sherman's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think vehicle mounted MG's in general are just too strong, it's my biggest complaint fighting against the allies. They just churn out vehicles loaded to the brim with MG's and they instantly suppress infantry and can hold down an AT gun easily.