Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

German pilots must be really bad then, all of the allied planes fly like War Thunder pubbies. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

On the other hand, pubs will still drive the big cats way too close to LOS-obscuring terrain and allow tanks to flank them. Occasionally they may clam up and just buy truckloads of arty and planes for you to farm points off of.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

From the same game:

Shermans are a nasty tank when there's no butterfly on the field.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

For some reason I had two games today where I ran into Luftlande as 3rd Armored while playing with Goons. First time was in hedgerow hell in the middle of Columbelle where the pubbie brought three foot mortars for some reason. I kinda overran his front line with Stuarts, halftracks, and rifles. The second game, the pubbie facing me conceded the entire factory complex and occasionally ran French tanks into my Stuart and Sherman. In Phase B and C, he ran Stugs and Marders into my Shermans.

Pubbies make weird decisions. :shrug:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

For next year's April 1st, they could implement the 8th Air Force, Bomber Command, and 1st Air Army as DLC battlegroups.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I prefer Sherman 76s because it means extra AP when bushwhacking Panthers and the extra range comes in handy for shooting retreating vehicles without running into AT guns. Availability impacts air more since being able to get more sorties or more targets to oversaturate AA means getting more use out of them.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Bef Panzer 2s for 12.SS are surprisingly useful during the A phase. They don't outrun the halftracks and take a bit more effort to kill which means a 20mm blob is practically under the command radius always.

The rocket wurfs are also pretty awesome to use. Just uh don't wurf your panzer grenadiers because you mistook them for your mortar halftracks.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Also no TOW teams for the Americans or any other NATO deck.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The turd did better than all of them.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Price and availability matters a lot for Phase A especially since the weapons doing most of the killing are either MG teams, vehicle guns, or artillery of some sort (be it plane, off-map, or mortars).

Although there are a few standout infantry options at the moment such as strosstrupp and the rangers who can bulldoze through some amount of unsupported line infantry as long as they're not caught out in the open.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

It's pretty hilarious to win a town rush with French Greyhounds and then capture all of their infantry with a jeep.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Control Volume posted:

Not posthumous, somehow.

Only way it could be better would be if it killed a King Tiger.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Infidelicious posted:

Most fitting name for a unit commander, ever.

He'll have plenty of tales for his grandkids after the war that's for sure.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Imagine four Wittmans panicked on the edge of a cliff.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Got to play Panzer Lehr two times, one was against pubs and BBJoey and the other was just against pubs. Lehr's anemic AA and artillery really hampers it from doing anything in phase A and B it feels like. A lot of my points had to be sunk into everything but tanks and hoping that the pumas and Panzer 4s can hold off the enemy until phase C. Even then most of the Phase C income in the second game went into Hummels so that I can snipe AT guns and non-mechanized artillery and Flak 88s to stop planes from sniping my infantry.

Bef Tigers are awesome in action though but it looks like that a Lehr deck can't really take advantage of the 10 tank slots at all because it simply cannot spend that much money even if the tank slots are filled in with the lowest availability cards it can take.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Panzeh posted:

Looking through the modding files, it seems like you could have the 'packs' be, instead of 3 leaders, be a leader, 3 infantry squads, and an lmg or something like that if you want to get a little closer to organizations.

Package deals and card efficiency if executed well could be used as a way of helping to distinguish the current divisions ingame besides using pricing and veterancy. Although there is still the problem of efficacy in battle.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Also use arty and planes to panic the tank so that the tank is not shooting back. In addition to effectively cutting down enemy tank damage to zero, it can forcibly expose rear and side armor as well as making it vulnerable to surrendering.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a King Tiger and then watch the pubbie ragequit.

Especially when the pubbie knows you're using British equipment and likely has a 17lber somewhere.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Getting Wittman killed is pretty much a tradition at this point.

Bonus points for doing it in the most incompetent way possible.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The rifle leaders with command stuarts are pretty drat good because it brings a PIAT team (for what it's worth) combined with a 5FAV .50 cal platform with 3 stars.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The AVRE also destroys light vehicles in a timely manner and can also kill off Panzer 3s eventually.

15 armor at that price range and phase availability is incredibly good especially since there's only a limited number of divisions with the equipment to stop it right off the bat.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

http://files.sd-replays.net/replayfiles/2519052420626214735-527aa3d7-07ec-4064-a0ed-bf5de1290333.zip

Could probably have done better if I had realized there was no AT in the center by Argle's flank earlier and shoved a sherman or stuart down there with infantry. At the same time though I was busy managing a command churchill and 17pdrs over by Remmon's lane because of the Lehr player.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

http://files.sd-replays.net/replayfiles/2519051438105967027-8bc36f9c-24ce-4e43-a342-d90621bb2b4f.zip

The LOS tool really needs to take into account elevation. On the other hand the Crocodile will readily burn tanks that insist on closing the range.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Matildas would probably be the Jumbo equivalent in Africa '42.

The Shermans would probably be the ones causing a lot more trouble especially the non M4A1 variants.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc7zTq6hqIQ

Another goon match gets commentary. :toot:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

They could probably do cool things with terrain if the LOS tool took elevation into account. The game already takes into account if the tank cannot depress its gun and even has a tooltip for that too.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Caught part of it on twitch, the part where he offmaps your position and doesn't push with infantry is pretty odd.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

IMO part of the problem may be because in phase A you ended up having to fight panzergrens with just infantry. A humber or staghound AA firing on that church and the perimeter buildings in the town can help even the odds for your rifles. The staghound will also deal with light vehicles too and maybe the humber will be decent if it gets its AP ammo unbugged.

Also the cards with humbers have recon so there's that.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

There was so much offmap in that game.

:supaburn:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The 25pdr is surprisingly useful in direct fire against enemy infantry. One shot tends to stress them out to near panic and a good hit can kill up to seven soldiers in a squad. Of course it also has the AP rounds to ward off light armor which also inflicts a fair amount of stress on the vehicles as well.

Danann fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jun 25, 2017

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I kinda want to see a 500 point Italian tankette train fast move down a road.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7FYqOAKukY

The pubbie plays certainly are something.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Having the RD-esque campaigns where you take control of the units in Operation Cobra, Goodwood, or the fictional Kruppstahl could add some more longevity to the singleplayer. The frontline system could make the initial battles interesting as jockeying for initial positions is a bit more important and there's potential for adding in more oddball and unicorn units to sprinkle throughout the divisions.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I've seen ducks, JU88s, and BF109s go down to massed AAA fire now. Thunderbolts and 190s can still get away though.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Got to play two games with goons tonight.

Using 3AD, the biggest change is the income. Merely having an income on par with the other divisions with only 70 income in A is pretty nice as it can build up towards an extra Arm Rifle which is very useful just to keep panzergrens from knocking out AT guns and scouts. Although it feels as though my mortar did most of the work regarding infantry killing. The M4A3 75 feels decently priced but being a 3v3, it can easily run into situations where it is outranged and outgunned. It feels like this is going to be an endemic problem because the combination of requiring two ticks to afford one model and its availability in B means that it doesn't really get the chance to shine when there's a lot of 1200m guns and armor inevitably coming into the field. All the tank slot changes effectively did was give me more M4A3 76s in Phase B because it's not like I'll be able to afford all of them and I have to buy halftracks with my infantry anyways so there's some decent fire support already. I don't really notice the Jumbo availability that much because pubbies keep picking divisions with the Pak 43s or King Tigers when I play with 3AD.

Also pubbies still make bad decisions like letting a KT wander into bazooka range or allowing me to drop enough mortars to panic and enable sideshots for the 76mm ATG nearby.

With 2ID, the M1919 teams are surviving a bit longer but the biggest change has got to be the buff to Marauder bazookas and more rifle availability. Marauders at 3 stars are more reliable for popping vehicles through hedgerows now and 2ID can actually attack and sustain casualties now. I haven't noticed much about the veteran AT guns because my Luftlande opponent insisted on tossing non-B2 French tanks at me. :shrug:

Haven't been able to get a good gauge for the changes to 2ID because the opponent in my lane called in a lot of French tanks that died against AT guns and Shermans. My opponent also spent a lot on arty including the FK 39 pieces that simply got CB'd by my 105mm guns. I did notice that JU88s flying over AA can miss their entire stick of 50kg bombs by hundreds of meters.

Danann fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 1, 2017

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

When they mentioned putting recon planes in, I thought that and the comment of mortars being a common artillery piece would mean recon planes and OP vehicles were the only units that could call in howitzer barrages.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

There's quite a few ready scenarios for coop missions in SD44. Have someone control a force of infantry/paratroopers cut off behind enemy lines while another player controls a different force coming to their rescue and then hold off a final wave of angry mans trying to take their objective. Hold a bridge, blow through this defensive belt, etc.

I just hope that the FLC coop missions are doable but not too difficult that it requires mic and competent teammates.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUItxc0_sCQ

16. Luftwaffe has 18 tanks in Phase A and literally no fighters.

It is the ultimate gimmick deck from the looks of it.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

4th Armored in the stream also has M12 GMCs which are basically the American equivalent of Hummels. Apparently they only had enough room for 10 rounds so a supply truck is most likely needed to keep them firing.

Also their mortar halftracks come in one per card instead of two for 3rd Armored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I wonder if the rocket offmap is going to be different from all the present offmap ingame seeing as they're already experimenting with the income curve of divisions.