Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

Or just a strike depending on the count.

a passed ball can still be a strike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's not uncommon for knuckle ballers to get four strikeouts in an inning once in their career

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I'm still getting used to what counts as a wild pitch and what doesn't. The last Cubs vs Toronto game had a ton of them, which I thought was pretty rare.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IcePhoenix posted:

a passed ball can still be a strike

Right but if the count is less than 2 strikes, isn't it just recorded as a swinging strike?

Miz Kriss posted:

I'm still getting used to what counts as a wild pitch and what doesn't. The last Cubs vs Toronto game had a ton of them, which I thought was pretty rare.

I think it's scorer's discretion, like errors.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Inspector_666 posted:

Right but if the count is less than 2 strikes, isn't it just recorded as a swinging strike?

I'm pretty sure PB/WP can be recorded on any count.

quote:

I think it's scorer's discretion, like errors.

Yeah, it's basically "Did the pitcher throw so lovely the catcher didn't have a chance?" or "Did the catcher not do his job and corral a reasonable play?"

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Grittybeard posted:

I love little leagueish plays.

https://twitter.com/Cut4/status/900176267970060292

e: I believe this is a 6-5-2-5(E5)-6-3-2 putout with one unearned run scoring. I wanted the pitcher to get the end of his glove on it to add another number but I don't think he did.

Could he have not just gone straight to first with that?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

if there are runners on and they advance yeah, I think if nothing happens on the play then neither a passed ball nor wild pitch are recorded

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Explosionface posted:

I'm pretty sure PB/WP can be recorded on any count.

Yeah, it's basically "Did the pitcher throw so lovely the catcher didn't have a chance?" or "Did the catcher not do his job and corral a reasonable play?"

The general rule I heard is "did the catcher's glove touch it", and if so, PB, otherwise WP.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

iospace posted:

The general rule I heard is "did the catcher's glove touch it", and if so, PB, otherwise WP.

I love the idea of a pitch sailing 8 feet above the ground and the catcher leaps for it, just barely touches it, then gets charged with a passed ball like "it was right to you, rear end in a top hat!" <:mad:>

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Comptroll The Forums posted:

I love the idea of a pitch sailing 8 feet above the ground and the catcher leaps for it, just barely touches it, then gets charged with a passed ball like "it was right to you, rear end in a top hat!" <:mad:>

Great outfielders occasionally get charged with errors on balls that others wouldn't get to at all. Fair's fair.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Comptroll The Forums posted:

"Maybe if you weren't dressed like a football player you would've caught it idiot"--pitcher about to be sent down to AAA.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IcePhoenix posted:

if there are runners on and they advance yeah, I think if nothing happens on the play then neither a passed ball nor wild pitch are recorded

Oh right, I was assuming nobody on base.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

If no-one is on base and its not a third strike, it isn't recorded as a WP or PB.

With runners on (that advance) or on a third strike where the batter gets to first, if the ball hits the ground before getting to the catcher, its a WP. If the ball is in the air and gets deflected/missed its the same as an error. Did the catcher have to do more than make a reasonable effort to catch the ball. If so, its a WP. If not, its a PB but that's up to the scorer.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hey, can anyone make an aGIF of Baez's homer and majestic bat flip starting at ~0:28?

https://www.mlb.com/video/cubs-total-six-home-runs/c-1738726583

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Atomizer posted:

Hey, can anyone make an aGIF of Baez's homer and majestic bat flip starting at ~0:28?

https://www.mlb.com/video/cubs-total-six-home-runs/c-1738726583

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

Dropping your bat is not a bat flip.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iKickDogs posted:

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Does your bat have to flip to be considering a bat flip or does spinning it like a helicopter count too? As long as its not spinning in just the radial direction I think it should count. Has anyone ever thrown their bat with horizontal spin (intentionally after hitting the ball, not losing grip on a swing)?

But yeah that is not a bat flip.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Thanks man! :neckbeard:

iKickDogs posted:

It's not a super-aggressive Bautista bat flip (which is more of a bat throw) or whatever, but the Cubs don't really do those. For comparison, Bryant gingerly places his bat on the ground, and what Baez does (the bat "dismissal" and casual turn) is the closest thing we get to a "flip." Contreras was also doing some fun bat tosses too before going on the DL. I tried doing this on my own with giphy; take a look at this one:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Atomizer posted:

Contreras was also doing some fun bat tosses too before going on the DL. I tried doing this on my own with giphy; take a look at this one:

Contreras batflipped from the on-deck circle on Russell's walk-off.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Atomizer posted:

Thanks man! :neckbeard:

It's not a super-aggressive Bautista bat flip (which is more of a bat throw) or whatever, but the Cubs don't really do those. For comparison, Bryant gingerly places his bat on the ground, and what Baez does (the bat "dismissal" and casual turn) is the closest thing we get to a "flip." Contreras was also doing some fun bat tosses too before going on the DL. I tried doing this on my own with giphy; take a look at this one:

That's actually a bat flip though because he actively flips the bat as opposed to just dropping it. Watch their arms.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I remember that; it seems like so long ago, though. (Neftali was the Brewers' closer and Contreras and Russell weren't on the DL!) Now does it count as an "official" bat flip if you're not the one doing it at the plate?
:thunk: That's a rhetorical question!!!

IcePhoenix posted:

That's actually a bat flip though because he actively flips the bat as opposed to just dropping it. Watch their arms.

Baez flipped his too, I've watched it over and over. But I really didn't want to get into a semantic argument in this thread over bat flipping. All I care about is sweet animated baseball GIFs. :colbert:

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/tR6A1jS.gifv

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

"... why did you do this?"

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

Pedro Strop surprises Andrew McCutchen:

http://i.imgur.com/WbF82zf.mp4

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

iKickDogs posted:

Haha Cutch looks exactly like :stare:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

iKickDogs posted:

I'm pretending that Strop thought he crushed it out, and that Cutch is incredulous at the bat drop. Strop cares not, lowers his head and rounds the bases anyway as Cutch tosses the ball into the stands while wondering what the Hell Strop is doing..

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tony Phillips posted:

I'm pretending that Strop thought he crushed it out, and that Cutch is incredulous at the bat drop. Strop cares not, lowers his head and rounds the bases anyway as Cutch tosses the ball into the stands while wondering what the Hell Strop is doing..

That actually looks like what's going on actually.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

iKickDogs posted:

...did Pedro Strop just gaslight Andrew McCutchen into giving him a double? :psyduck:

edit: oh I guess it would be an out regardless, that play apparently broke my brain too

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
For those who don't know Pedro Strop he is a former shortstop converted to relief pitcher. This is probably his first AB all year (maybe in a few years) and he put a good swing on it. Cutch was impressed that he made contact much less hit a line drive.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

...did Pedro Strop just gaslight Andrew McCutchen into giving him a double? :psyduck:

Hard to get a double on a fly out.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
http://i.imgur.com/Kl57e3s.gifv

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
http://i.imgur.com/5CO3eW5.gifv

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

T-Plush is back???

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

wow just wow

https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/903068908818767872

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

This is what happens when I'm not really paying attention when I'm playing the show.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I was really hoping he would amp everyone up then open his glove to show he was messing around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Popete posted:

T-Plush is back???

He never left. :unsmith:

• Locked thread