Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Slimy Hog posted:

Same here. I was looking for something like this, but didn't think to look in DIY.

I think it's a legacy thing, p sure DIY used to be "DIY & Hobbies".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
This should be moved to YLLS. Although there is already a somewhat active hiking thread in there.

I think I only found this because someone linked to a thread in here.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This should be moved to YLLS. Although there is already a somewhat active hiking thread in there.

I think I only found this because someone linked to a thread in here.

There's some discussion along these lines going on, but I need to open a thread here to discuss it with TaHers.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Important thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3932204

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I like paragliding. Can I make a paragliding thread here. I want to post a bunch of pictures and videos and poo poo from up in the air. Hi.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey all! I want to learn more about the outdoors and should read and post here more! Is there a thread for newbie fishing questions, I only see one for fly fishing.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

:justpost:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey all! I want to learn more about the outdoors and should read and post here more! Is there a thread for newbie fishing questions, I only see one for fly fishing.

The Catch-All Fishing Thread

Fishing discord: https://discord.gg/Psmjpd

Ask away!

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I'm going on an 18 mile hike in 90 degree weather tomorrow. I hope I bring enough water.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Chinook posted:

I'm going on an 18 mile hike in 90 degree weather tomorrow. I hope I bring enough water.

Please don't die, but do take pictures and post them or just post about your experience!

verycute
Jul 8, 2020

hello everyone! i am an ocean lover currently landlocked. excited to see this rebooted! would i be out of line starting a marine invertebrate thread?

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:
Glad this little baby of a subforum is making its way out into the big main menu at long last. Everyone,.let's do a good job of posting and keep this forum alive!!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

verycute posted:

hello everyone! i am an ocean lover currently landlocked. excited to see this rebooted! would i be out of line starting a marine invertebrate thread?

:justpost:

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Hello, I'm into rockhounding. I'm part of a gem club and they go on field trips out to places to collect locally sourced gem-quality petrified wood and agate. Sometimes I strike it out on my own in an attempt to find new previously unknown sources of material. Unfortunately due to Covid, I'm not able to attend the field trips nor am I able to travel to some of the more far-out dig sites, but I still have access to some pretty cool rocks I'd like to share with you all.

edit: vvvv yeah? Sweet, here's some of my latest finds. I can make more of an effort post later but please enjoy these in the meantime

a big white agate I pulled out of a stream in the Cascades, looks like if I cut it open it might have a cavity full of crystals

here's an agate still in its host rock that I collected a few miles up the forest road from the streambed agate

these are agates from the same location, except they had naturally weathered out of the host rock

This one was naturally cracked open to reveal an amazing banding pattern + crystal cavity

This is a load of petrified wood from Central Washington State that's currently on its fine-grit stage of polishing in my 12lb Thumbler tumbler

Lacrosse fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 18, 2020

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Lacrosse posted:

Hello, I'm into rockhounding. I'm part of a gem club and they go on field trips out to places to collect locally sourced gem-quality petrified wood and agate. Sometimes I strike it out on my own in an attempt to find new previously unknown sources of material. Unfortunately due to Covid, I'm not able to attend the field trips nor am I able to travel to some of the more far-out dig sites, but I still have access to some pretty cool rocks I'd like to share with you all.

Ok, this is super cool and I'm 100% into it. I did a bunch of rockhounding growing up, but all of it got lost moving across the country. I'd love to read about it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Cross-posting from Bearshit:

Hi all! I'm from Denmark, on my second year of a BA in cultural and natural heritage interpretation. Also known as 'dirt fondlers', our eventual job is to enable the public to have meaningful experiences with and in nature. I do foraging, iron age reenactment and some hiking in my spare time.

I'm pretty stoked about this forum, and I will ask a lot of questions - you're welcome to ask me back.

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Hello I am a computer man who likes hiking. I have hiked mountains in several states and some of the Appalachian trail in the northeast. I also like camping, I am going in a couple weeks to West Virginia where all electronics will not work and I am pretty excited to do that for a week. Well that’s my story see ya!!!!!!!!!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Greetings, I am a crustacean. I go for the occasional wander through various parks local to my region (Maryland).

Also sometimes my father who has nothing better to do "kidnaps" me and my brother to go on multi week RV trips in the rockies/canadian north, that involve 14 hour long hikes up and down mountains.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hello, I'm new here! I like kayaking, camping, freediving/spearfishing, and just about anything to do on or near the water. I also spend way, way too much money on hammocks and hammock gear, so look forward to a hammock thread in the near future I guess.

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
Hey, I’m in NE Ohio and in my second year of a small but pretty cool garden. My wife and I kinda just flew by the seat of our pants and this years garden had some issues, particularly with peppers not really doing well so I’m interested to learn more about the process. Also big into fishing, especially getting after the walleye in Lake Erie. Excited to snoop around the sub!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Lacrosse posted:

Hello, I'm into rockhounding. I'm part of a gem club

You should totally make a rockhounding thread with this post as the OP, rocks are super cool.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Howdy, I'm new! I started doing outdoors stuff last year thanks to a girl I was dating who put me onto it. We didn't work out but I still really like going outdoors. Has anyone done a trip to Big Sur? My question if it's kosher to ask here is what's the process folks use for planning a trip to a new place you've never been to before?

I want to plan a trip there and will probably be going solo as none of my friends or family enjoy the outside or would humour me.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Make a thread! :justpost:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Love the out doors. I am in central Idaho right on the edge of the Nez-Perce Clearwater national forest (largest in the lower 48) so I do lots of rafting on the Samlon, Lochsa and Selway rivers, backpacking, hot springs, prospecting/gem hunting. Love offroading and have an over landing fj60 I am working on, and a neat little 78' toyota chinook pop top camper I am fixing up

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
I like to sit outside, drink beer and grill outside, hang out with my friends and family outside. Mostly though, I like to ride my bike outside. Usually by myself but sometimes I ride with friends. Either way, I like cruising down quiet roads and stretches of dirt surrounded by trees and fields and animals and just not being inside. Hello.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

learnincurve posted:

You should totally make a rockhounding thread with this post as the OP, rocks are super cool.

Rockhounding thread is live here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3935237

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
I, too, am a computer man who likes to do outdoors stuff, including but not limited to:

SCUBA diving
Skiing
Hiking
Rock climbing

My fitness and enthusiasm has fluctuated quite a bit over the past few years, and I'm in Stage 4 restrictions currently, so while enthusiasm is high, I can't actually leave to do any of those.

I made an iso-resolution to do some camping. I moved to this city from the other side of the country and honestly haven't spent nearly enough time exploring the rest of this beautiful state or country. Plans are to do some rock climbing, abseiling (rappelling), prospecting and car and backpack camping once this is over. I'm new to roughing it, so this will be an experience for me.

If anyone is in Victoria, Australia, and wants to get in on it or give me some hot tips, let me know (or look for crowtribe on one of the various Australian SA discords).

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Hey there,

I'm a food photographer who's also locked away in Victoria Australia with shelter in place laws.

I've made it my goal in the new year to learn to Scuba Dive.

My late father was a keen amateur scuba diver, and I'd like to learn.

He died of cancer, not scuba diving, I should mention.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Is it thread necromancy to post here about being new? I am a dad who plans to start taking his kindergarten-aged kids car camping this year. I haven’t camped in 20 years, so first I’m gonna solo car camp a few times so I can at least put the tent up and start a fire without looking like Clark Griswold.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Steely Dad posted:

Is it thread necromancy to post here about being new? I am a dad who plans to start taking his kindergarten-aged kids car camping this year. I haven’t camped in 20 years, so first I’m gonna solo car camp a few times so I can at least put the tent up and start a fire without looking like Clark Griswold.

no, dad

you done good and more new posters should post here

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Steely Dad posted:

It's heavily recommended to :justpost:

I'm going to be in the same boat as you in a handful of years, so I look forward to reading about your camping experiences!

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Steely Dad posted:

Is it thread necromancy to post here about being new? I am a dad who plans to start taking his kindergarten-aged kids car camping this year. I haven’t camped in 20 years, so first I’m gonna solo car camp a few times so I can at least put the tent up and start a fire
without looking like Clark Griswold.

I took my 2 year old camping for the first time last summer. The nighttime was super rough, but he loved the rest of it. We did a super small campground I knew, so with fire ring and tent pads, but not too many people (I have only done back country for like 15 years). Did the whole classic s'mores, crawdadding, etc. So awesome to see it through their eyes.

Plan ahead though, poo poo has changed in even the last decade! Know if you need site reservations, if fire bans or other restrictions might be an issue, site sizes, restroom facilities, etc. Call the park if you can with really specific questions or go do a drive through prior to booking/heading out, assuming that's an option. Don't ask the reservation 800 number, they don't know, call the land management agency as worst case scenario. Have fun!

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Update: I took him to a KOA last night, after several rounds of equipment testing and dickery first. Went well, he had a blast, and now I want to get more ambitious. Turns out they didn’t allow fires in the tent area, so we roasted our marshmallows over a butane camp stove, which was fine by him, but now I need to hunt down an option that allows fires.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Steely Dad posted:

Update: I took him to a KOA last night, after several rounds of equipment testing and dickery first. Went well, he had a blast, and now I want to get more ambitious. Turns out they didn’t allow fires in the tent area, so we roasted our marshmallows over a butane camp stove, which was fine by him, but now I need to hunt down an option that allows fires.

Solid dad move. My parents never took me camping (both from large cities). Turns out, as an adult, now I feel like I'm constantly intruding or playing pretend. Takes some of the fun out of it, but luckily it's more fun than it's not.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Yeah, same here. This was actually my first time planning and managing a camping trip. I remember backpacking once with a friend’s family as a kid, and once or twice tagging along for drunken early-20s camping a couple decades ago, but until this weekend, that was it. I’ll definitely be taking the kids out again this summer. I decided to do it with just one kid for the first go, but now that I’ve got that under my belt, I’m gonna do it ASAP with both.

I can definitely empathize with the imposter syndrome about it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
gently caress it, just go.
Don't worry about the people who think "this guy isn't as hardcore as us because.................... (dumb reason)".

Just take them car camping and when they get a bit older, if you want to, take them on an over nighter somewhere close thats a canoe paddle and like one short easy portage away from the car.
As they get older, if they like that stuff, venture a bit further.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

If that was meant for me, I’m definitely not holding back because of imposter syndrome. I understand where the poster above is coming from, but I’m old enough not to care what people think anymore. I’ve already put in my PTO request for my next camping trip with the kids, and I’m shopping for a few gear changes that I want to make after that first one. It feels fantastic to give my kids experiences that I didn’t get to have.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Oh yeah, for the other goon, but anyone else who might be hesitant.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Yeah I mean honestly anyone camping at a site where you can actually see or hear the people camping next to you isn't doing it hardcore anyway, you might as well just enjoy it. I've got all kinds of ultralight gear for back country poo poo but I still roll out to the KOA with a bunch of goofy stuff I don't need stuffed in the back of my subaru 'cause gently caress it lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Hey everyone! New Jersey-based goon here. I'll go on day hikes now and then, but nothing too challenging. Hoping to step outside my comfort zone, go on cooler hikes, and maybe learn to forage and fish.

Here's something from yesterday.

Resources on ultralight packing would also be great. Or advice on hiking with chronic pain on your plate. Because I've had chronic pain for years, mostly around my collarbone, and I'm a little antsy about triggering a flare-up. :ohdear: