Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Is it thread necromancy to post here about being new? I am a dad who plans to start taking his kindergarten-aged kids car camping this year. I haven’t camped in 20 years, so first I’m gonna solo car camp a few times so I can at least put the tent up and start a fire without looking like Clark Griswold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Update: I took him to a KOA last night, after several rounds of equipment testing and dickery first. Went well, he had a blast, and now I want to get more ambitious. Turns out they didn’t allow fires in the tent area, so we roasted our marshmallows over a butane camp stove, which was fine by him, but now I need to hunt down an option that allows fires.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Yeah, same here. This was actually my first time planning and managing a camping trip. I remember backpacking once with a friend’s family as a kid, and once or twice tagging along for drunken early-20s camping a couple decades ago, but until this weekend, that was it. I’ll definitely be taking the kids out again this summer. I decided to do it with just one kid for the first go, but now that I’ve got that under my belt, I’m gonna do it ASAP with both.

I can definitely empathize with the imposter syndrome about it.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

If that was meant for me, I’m definitely not holding back because of imposter syndrome. I understand where the poster above is coming from, but I’m old enough not to care what people think anymore. I’ve already put in my PTO request for my next camping trip with the kids, and I’m shopping for a few gear changes that I want to make after that first one. It feels fantastic to give my kids experiences that I didn’t get to have.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Taking both kids camping today. It’s beautiful outside, forecast to be even warmer tomorrow, and I’m so excited.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I'm aiming to go on my first solo car camping trip this coming Thursday and Friday nights. I'm in northern California. I was originally going to China Campground in Big Sur, but that's kind of on fire at the moment. I found a last-minute spot at Cole Creek Campground at Clear Lake, but setting up at a tent at a popular boating site that's like 3 miles out of town isn't really the kind of camping I want to do. It seems like really just a half-step from a KOA, and I want to be further away from people.

So I'm thinking about trying to find a dispersed campsite in Mendocino National Forest. Is this a dumb thing for a relatively inexperienced car camper to do? Like I've got a making GBS threads bucket with a toilet seat on top and everything, and I've camped at a site with no hookups before, and it's only for two nights, so I'm pretty sure I can keep myself alive. But how likely am I to get lost in the woods or high center my FWD CX-5 on a fire access road or get killed and eaten by a mountain lion or start a forest fire or whatever?

e: also, should TGO have a dumb/small questions megathread?

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Cool, will do, and thanks for the advice. I know a goon who camps in BLM land around here a lot and I hit him up. I’ll save a map on my phone, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

That is a rad idea.