Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I used to go hiking and snow camping and all that stuff

now I spend my weekends reading

one day I will throw a tent in my car and drive into the desert when I'm free of my shackles

until then, I hope my gear doesn't rot from misuse (especially my precious four season tent)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

so logical!

... a bit ... too ... logical...

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Koth posted:

Oh, cool! Oh... oh. :(

Make a thread here and I’ll post in it!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

What about federal forests and similarly federal owned lands?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Levitate posted:

How old is your kid? Dunno how much experience he has with hiking but if he's still pretty young then I think you gotta keep the mileage low even if you think they have a ton of energy. E: saw that he's 5, still probably not ready for many miles I think

I don't know much about Ohio at all...but a lot of Park "designated camping areas" on trails and such probably aren't much more than some flat spaces that have been cleared so you're not tearing up new ground whenever you try to make a tent. It's probably worth checking out, it may be less swamped and crazy than you think. Weekdays will also always be less crowded. Even so, just getting out and exploring some of those areas and looking for new places to go is worth doing if you're trying to get started...don't let perfect be the enemy of good and all that, first try some easy to plan trips and see how things go and build up your confidence and your camping system etc.

Like el dorito said check out if there are any forest service lands and stuff like that, their rules are generally more lax in terms of camping, camp fires, guns, etc (national parks don't allow guns, state parks might not either...that said, I'd have to ask why you'd want to take one unless it's going to be a hunting trip in a place that it's allowed).

An overnight trip like you describe sounds entirely possible and nice to do with your kid as long as you don't overestimate his abilities

this seems like sound advice to me

maybe do hiking and car camping (aka drive up to the campsite) on separate occasions to see how things fare individually before combining the two. See if you can get water hookups and on-site toilets to see how you two fare with water conservation and make sure you're not missing anything obvious on a low risk trip.

A one or two mile hike back to the trailhead in an emergency can feel like a lifetime if someone trips...

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

they don't call me surefoot, that's for sure

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Martin posted:

Swedish outdoorsy goon checking in. Just found this sub forum and I love it. Already got some good equipment tips and stuff!

I used to be a avid nature person when I was a kid but kind of lost it when I moved to Stockholm for job purposes. Have gotten more into it the last year or so and planning on using this summer to expand my interest.
Already have two hikes and a canoe trip planned.

I’ve been seeing a lot of cool pictures and stories from the states. Ima hella jealous of your mountains! I have to travel like 6 hours by car to get those kind of views.

But I was wondering if there was any interest from you guys seeing some trip reports from the Swedish countryside?
First trip is this weekend where we’ll be going into an “urskog” (old-growth forest) for just a night. It’s still quite cold during the nights here, we’re mostly out to test out new equipment for the summer.

I'd be interested. Maybe make a new thread and post a link here?

I have been buying a lot of gear but I haven't been able to try them out. Work has been crazy and there's the lockdown and riots besides. And summer brings out the insects. On the other hand, I bought a hat for just hiking and now I'm wearing it everyday since I've been unable to get a haircut for months.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Martin posted:

I’ll definitely do that! Going out Saturday, so probably have something on Monday.

I tend to wear all my new outdoor clothes as leisure wear for a while, they’re just so darn comfortable!

Same. Although my latest pants are cotton (yes, I know that it's a terrible fabric for hiking), they actually work pretty well for everyday clothes since they're so durable.

Might as well, since j crew is filing for bankruptcy. I can shop at rei for overpriced clothes since I'll be working from home anyway.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Epitope posted:

NEVER COTTON is like keep both hands on the wheel. Once you know what you are doing you can eat a burrito and drive :piss:

true. I like cotton but synthetic is certainly lighter.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Martin posted:

The weather turned on us and we had to cancel unfortunately. Swedish summer in a nutshell. Ill try to make some updates from our bigger trip in the end of July and hopefully some more after that.

ah dang

well, I hope the weather cooperates for your later trips!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Steely Dad posted:

Is it thread necromancy to post here about being new? I am a dad who plans to start taking his kindergarten-aged kids car camping this year. I haven’t camped in 20 years, so first I’m gonna solo car camp a few times so I can at least put the tent up and start a fire without looking like Clark Griswold.

no, dad

you done good and more new posters should post here