Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
hi I posted a backpacking thread in GBS and I dont think it's going to fare well. I'll cross post it here, and continue lurking this sub.

"Welcome to the backpacking thread! Your place for discussing trails, camping tips and whatever else you all want to talk about when it comes to roughing it in the open country!

I would love to be the guy with all the knowledge in the world of backpacking, however I am fairly inexperienced, and will likely be asking more questions than answering them!!! I currently have a massive framed pack, compact sleeping bag, one hammock, a life straw, camel pack, and several other odds and ends, 4 man tent although I will likely be downsizing to a 2 man tent since backpacking means packing smart.

I'm posting this thread now in preparation for the spring season. For a little backstory, I have a lot of this stuff that I have either obtained from people who have replaced their gear, or purchased it because I have a calling, and sadly haven't answered the calling. This is largely due to wanting the 3 of my family to go together and do a short cheap weekend together, but it never pans out. This is largely due in part to my partner(she, i am a dude, but it doesnt matter) is not really the outdoorsy person, and very much a homebody, and I have sort of been waiting for her to show some interest, but I have waited in vain. That leaves myself and my 5 year old son, whom I think would absolutely love to do this. However, safety comes first, and I want to make sure I am 100% ready to take my little boy out into the wilderness, and not end up some buffoon being helicoptered out of the wilderness, forever being an irresponsible father. I will say this, I have done several solo hikes, or duo hikes with adults, and I know my limits physically, and I know my son will probably have as much energy or more to do the same. A lot of this desire stems from my desire to experience life outdoors with my son, and provide some of my own experiences on how to survive out in the wild. This is not at all a prepper thread, but having these skills, to me, seems very important, and involves a whole lot of skills that I think make a lot of sense to have as an upright traveling mammal.

I have this vision, where we can drive out in my Subaru Forester(literally) to a trail parking area, hike for a few hours or more, set up camp, build a camp fire, fish for dinner(of course bringing plenty of food as backup) as I am a capable chef, sleep, wake up and head back to the car. All without taking time off or spending much money. We live in north central Ohio, but according to ODNR, you're not allowed to camp off trail in state parks here, which seems like kind of a bummer. Anyone with thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. A lot of these trails have designated camping zones, but I would wager a guess that these are very unprimitive, and will likely be crawling with people. I am not wholly against this, but the idea of this, to me is to escape, and people are pretty lame, particularly when you don't know them. What I would really like to do, after several preparatory outings, is trek up to Michigan's UP and really check out all that sexy wilderness and wildlife, but I know that there are some serious rules to follow, such as permits to camp in remote areas or somesuch.

Anyone have any good online sources with varying levels of prep lists, trail lists, how to get there, and what and what is not acceptable, and advice that they would like recommend? How bout carrying a firearm?

Anyone have any of their own experiences, maybe in blog form, that they would like to share?

How about freshwater fishing? I know that this can be a huge amount of information, so lets keep it in the form of backpacking related fishing.

Talk to me!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Any info I can absorb through SA I would appreciate, I know theres a billion "top ten lists" out there but ehhhhhh.

To put things in perspective, I know I will be ok just winging it, but I really want to bring my kid along, and don't want to be THAT guy that fucks up big time. Im thinking Mohican here in Ohio will be the first place I start.

Can you not hike places and throw up a tent anymore?