Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I love backpacking and cycling (road mainly but a bit of gravel/mountain) and am not new to this forum but am one of the IK's so I figure I should say hi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

You can read outside too!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

How old is your kid? Dunno how much experience he has with hiking but if he's still pretty young then I think you gotta keep the mileage low even if you think they have a ton of energy. E: saw that he's 5, still probably not ready for many miles I think

I don't know much about Ohio at all...but a lot of Park "designated camping areas" on trails and such probably aren't much more than some flat spaces that have been cleared so you're not tearing up new ground whenever you try to make a tent. It's probably worth checking out, it may be less swamped and crazy than you think. Weekdays will also always be less crowded. Even so, just getting out and exploring some of those areas and looking for new places to go is worth doing if you're trying to get started...don't let perfect be the enemy of good and all that, first try some easy to plan trips and see how things go and build up your confidence and your camping system etc.

Like el dorito said check out if there are any forest service lands and stuff like that, their rules are generally more lax in terms of camping, camp fires, guns, etc (national parks don't allow guns, state parks might not either...that said, I'd have to ask why you'd want to take one unless it's going to be a hunting trip in a place that it's allowed).

An overnight trip like you describe sounds entirely possible and nice to do with your kid as long as you don't overestimate his abilities