Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Willing to make bets about the eliteness of your favourite teams goaltender (or other things)? This is the place for you.

Round 1 Prediction Bracket. Bring out your Xs. Submissions open until puck drops on the first game Wednesday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

fits posted:

Willing to make bets about the eliteness of your favourite teams goaltender (or other things)? This is the place for you.

Round 1 Prediction Bracket. Bring out your Xs. Submissions open until puck drops on the first game Wednesday

(A1) Montreal Canadiens over (WC1) New York Rangers in six

(A3) Boston Bruins over Ottawa Senators (A2) in seven

(M1) Washington Capitals over (WC2) Toronto Maple Leafs in four

(M2) Pittsburgh Penguins over (M3) Columbus Blue Jackets in five

(C1) Chicago Blackhawks over (WC2) Nashville Predators in six

(C2) Minnesota Wild over (C3) St. Louis Blues in five

(P1) Anaheim Ducks over (WC1) Calgary Flames in seven

(P3) San Jose Sharks over (P2) Edmonton Oilers in five

I think that's how I had it but I forgot to look at what I did before posting

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

:lol: NHL

e: well I forgot to record my submission and I don't remember it so I can't post it :colbert:

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Here are my very bad, no good picks (plus stuff past the first round):

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Oilers are winning the cup, the rest of the bracket doesn't matter.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
oh cool, you going to stop posting until that happens then?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I think I chose:

Montreal in 5
Boston in 6
Capitals in 6
Pitt in 7
Nashville in 6
St. Louis in 6
Anaheim in 5
Edmonton in 6

Hopefully that's what I actually submitted....

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Rangers in 6
Bruins in 5
Capitals in 5
Jackets in 7
Hawks in 5
Blues in 7
Ducks in 4
Sharks in 7 ( :negative: )

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Montreal in 6
Boston in 6
Washington in 5
Pittsburgh in 6
Chicago in 5
Minnesota in 7
Anaheim in 5
Oilers are back, baby in 6

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think these are the game #s that I picked...

New York Rangers in six 

Ottawa Senators in five

Washington Capitals in five

Pittsburgh Penguins in seven

Chicago Blackhawks in six

Minnesota Wild in six

Anaheim Ducks in five

Edmonton Oilers in five

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Uh I should have paid more attention to what I submitted in the form so I'll just post what I picked on NHL.com's bracket thing:

Hawks def Preds in 5
Wild def Blues in 6
Ducks def Flames in 5
Oilers def Sharks in 6

Habs def Rags in 6
Bruins def Sens in 5
Caps def Leafs in 5
Pens def Jackets in 6

No 7 game series wah wah

Bonus round 2 coverage:
Habs def Bruins in I FORGOT
Caps def Pens in I FORGOT

Hawks def Wild in I FORGOT
Oilers def Ducks in I FORGOT

More hockey:
Caps def Habs in WHO CARES HOCKEY IS NOW OVER
Oilers def Hawks in PROBABLY 7 WHO KNOWS

Nobody should care about hockey now that Habs are out:
Some team from USA def Mighty Canadian warriors by probably cheating. Enjoy your ceremonial visit to Mar-a-lago you dum-dums.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 10, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

EAST:
Habs d Rags in 7: Dis gon be gooooood. On exposed form, the Habs should win this. The margin is razor thin. Also by "Dis gon be gooooood" I meant, "this is going to be a snoozefest powered by impossible saves".
Sens d Bs in 6: I don't see the Bruins beating a fully fit Sens.

Caps d Leafs in 7: The Caps will jump out to a large lead, forget that it's a best of 7 and not show up for a few games before having someone yell it at them causing a domination in game 7, or a heartbreaking last minute win. Either way, the Caps are juuust bad enough to raise Leafs fans hopes while also being good enough to win the series even if they forget to play the first 3 games.
Pens d Jackets in 5: The Pens are scarry. I am scarried. I don't think the Jackets can compete if Pittsburgh is mostly fit. Which it's looking and sounding like they will be.

WEST:
Bhawks d Preds in 5: I don't see the chance for evil to be averted.
Blues d Wild in 7: I don't see the Wild winning this.

Ducks d Flames in 4: I don't see the Flames winning a game.
Oilers d Sharks in 5: Sharks look like an old, battered, bruised team. The Oilers seem really confident and aggressive and energised and synergistic.

Round 2
Habs d Sens in 7: Because I'm a homer. This series will feature a bullshit cheapshot that will generate waaaaay too much drama. Because it has to. Because it always does. If it happens to Carey, the Sens win. If it happens to Karlsson, the Habs win. If it happens to someone else, the Habs probably have the edge.
Pens d Caps in 7: Because you know this is going to be the round 2 matchup on the Metro side of the draw and you know this is going to be the score.

Bhawks d Blues in 6: This series will feature a bullshit goal that will lead to the collective hockey world realising "Oh god, it's happening again".
Ducks d Oilers in 5: something something Ducks playoff experience something something Oilers in southern california for most of the games something something gently caress Corey Perry.'

Conference Finals
Pens d Habs in 5: The Habs aren't good enough for a Pens/Habs matchup. Carey is good, but he's not that good.
Bhawks d Ducks in 6: Oh god it's definitely happening again. The Ducks don't have the Bruce Boudreau curse, so they won't even make it to 7.

Final
Pens/Hawks in "snooze, I'd rather watch F1 and Rugby than these teams duke it out": It'll be a good series, good hockey will get played, and two large media markets will get Gary his pay cheque. I just don't remotely care who wins.

NHL wouldn't accept my bracket, so here's my effort post explaining the most obvious playoff bracket for the 2016-2017 NHL season ever ever.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I don't remember the games I picked but:
East: Rangers, Bruins Penguins, Capitals
West: Blackhawks, Wild, Ducks, Sharks

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
rangers bruins jackets caps hawks wild ducks oilers

rangers caps wild oilers

oilers caps

caps

i don't care about # of games

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Last year something like 14/15 series went the way I was rooting for, it was quite amazing. How about...

NYR vs OTT
WAS vs CBJ
NSH vs MIN
CGY vs EDM

NYR vs WAS
NSH vs EDM

WAS vs NSH

OV and PK, the best of finalists

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

JawKnee posted:

oh cool, you going to stop posting until that happens then?

I'm sorry for stating my prediction in the prediction thread.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I think this is the first year in a while where I have no idea what to predict. There's a few teams with recent playoff success mixed with teams that are historically bad in the playoffs also mixed with young teams. I don't feel right predicting a Chicago/Pittsburgh final, so who knows? Last year I was fairly accurate with my predictions, but I think this year will be a complete failure.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
East
Rangers in 6
Bruins in 7
Capitals in 5
Penguins in 7

Rangers over Bruins in 6
Capitals over Penguins in 5

Capitals over Rangers in 6

West
Blackhawks in 6
Wild in 5
Flames in 6
Sharks in 6

Blackhawks over Wild in 5
Sharks over Flames in 5

Blackhawks over Sharks in 6

Finals
Capitals over Blackhawks in 6

the42ndtourist
Sep 6, 2004

A half-dead thing in the stark, dead world, clean mad for the muck called gold

Schlesische posted:

EAST:
Habs d Rags in 7: Dis gon be gooooood. On exposed form, the Habs should win this. The margin is razor thin. Also by "Dis gon be gooooood" I meant, "this is going to be a snoozefest powered by impossible saves".
Sens d Bs in 6: I don't see the Bruins beating a fully fit Sens.

Round 2
Habs d Sens in 7: Because I'm a homer. This series will feature a bullshit cheapshot that will generate waaaaay too much drama. Because it has to. Because it always does. If it happens to Carey, the Sens win. If it happens to Karlsson, the Habs win. If it happens to someone else, the Habs probably have the edge.

...I like to see someone calling Ottawa, but Karlsson isn't fully fit, and therefore neither are the Sens. And in round 2, a Julien-Boucher systems matchup might be pretty drat boring.

Still - Sens in 6 over Boston, assuming Karlsson/Stone are healthy enough to play well and offset Bergeron/Marchand.
Round 2 vs the Habs will be a close one until Ott/Shaw/Whoever severs Karlsson's other hamstring.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Stabbin' at random wooooo :toot:

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

EAST
WSH > TOR in 5
PIT > CBJ in 7
MTL > NYR in 7
BOS > OTT in 6

WSH > PIT in 7 (gently caress the curses)
BOS > MTL in 6

WSH > BOS in 6

WEST
CHI > NSH in 6
STL > MIN in 7
ANA > CGY in 7
SJ > EDM in 6

CHI > STL in 5
SJ > ANA in 6

CHI > SJ in 6

FINAL
WSH > CHI in 7

CONN SMYTHE
Holtby

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

LEAFS ALL THE WAY BABY

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Lots of people picking bruins over sens, despite the season series being 4-0 sens....

EDIT:

Toxx compilation

Ongoing Toxxes

Flyinglemur posted:

:toxx:

If the Perds win I'm getting a Subban jersey. I already have a Gill jersey, but I will be the proud owner of 2 Nashville sweaters. Even if they beat the Pens.

My wife wants to go to a game in Nashville because she has realized that they are, in her opinion, the best looking team in the league. I'm ok with that because I would love to go back and see a game there :)

Schlesische posted:

:toxx:
If Nashville wins the Stanley Cup, I will get a Bergevin/Subban Avatar, as well as text chosen by HAS and will keep it until either I can get my Habs sweater done up with 76 and Subban or I get given an avatar by someone or something else.
I live in Australia, so this might take a while.

bizarre deformity posted:

:toxx: :toxx: :toxx:

If the Predators beat the Blues, I will buy a Preds baseball cap, made by Buffalo's own New Era Cap.

If the Predators win the WCF, I will buy a Filip Forsberg shirsey.

If the Predators win Lord Stanley's Cup, I will buy a jersey of whoever wins the Conn Smythe.

Edit: if the Preds lose to the Blues, I will donate $20 to a charity picked by a Blues fan.

If the Preds lose the WCF or the Stanley Cup Final, same deal but with a fan of whoever they lose to.

bizarre deformity posted:

Slight adjustment to my :toxx:

I'm gonna grab a Reebok Preds hat because I really want the yellow one and New Era doesn't make one :(

Also I am going to wear each item during each of their subsequent games until the end.

Edit: just ordered it, should be here Tuesday

bunnyofdoom posted:

My Toxx is as such.

Since I am prohibited from drinking for medical reasons until May 5th, on that day, I shall drink one beer for every game the sens lost.

(Not good enough?)

Real Toxx:

I will buy an avatar of whatever team knocks the sens out of the playoffs, which two special cases.
1. Should the leafs make it farther then the sens, then the avatar will instead be a leafs one
2. Should the sens win the cup, it will be a Karlsson and/or Anderson one.

(Also, for every round the sens make, I will donate $20 to the Canadian Cancer Society, with an additional $50 if they win the cup.)

EDIT: :toxx:

fits posted:

:toxx: if the edmonton oilers win the stanley cup i will change john scott-tar into some sort of tbd hunter the lynx-tar

Round 2

RC Cola posted:

I already have mine :colbert:
If the Preds beat the blues I'll buy a PK Subban shirt :toxx:

glynnenstein posted:

Caps in 5
Rangers in 6

Ducks in 5
Preds in 7

:toxx: If the Preds are eliminated by the Blues, I'll donate $30 to the PK Subban Foundation so we can get more awesome pictures of PK smiling and being happy, which will probably cure all those kids.

:toxx: If the Caps are eliminated by the Pens, I'll donate $50 to the Kids on Ice program so that there will be skilled children to skate over my grave after I overdose on The Narrative.

Round 1

all-Rush mixtape posted:

IMHO, the absolute, definitive ceiling the Maple Leafs will have this postseason is the ECF, and that's only if they get a point tomorrow. I have no delusion in thinking we'd get past against any team in the Metropolitan Division.

In fact, :toxx: if the Toronto Maple Leafs make the 2017 Stanley Cup Final, I will fly to Toronto from Austin to watch Games 4-7 (almost certainly at Maple Leaf Square) :toxx:

glynnenstein posted:

My first round picks are:

MTL in 6
BOS in 4
WAS in 6
CBJ in 7
NSH in 6
MIN in 5
CGY in 6
EDM in 7

Going with charity for the losers if I'm wrong on these:

:toxx: If Ottawa gets by Boston I will donate $20 to the fuckin Shawn Thornton Foundation. lol

:toxx: If Chicago knocks off Nashville I will donate $20 to the PK Subban Foundation to cheer him up.

:toxx: If Toronto beats the Caps I will donate $40 to the Kids on Ice program at the Ft Dupont Ice Arena to help restock the Caps with talent down the road. (Pretty sure that's how it works.)

[/quote]

HootTheOwl posted:

The Blackhawks are done :toxx:

HootTheOwl posted:

The most hockey thing, obviously, is to make it conditional:
An av to a Pred's fan they never score again.
+A shirtsey if they win a game
+ An ebay jersey if they win the series.
+ if they win the cup I'll change my senior thesis from labor movements Illinois utilities as they pertain to industrialization to something about how there's a player's union yet so many athletes come out for Trump or whatever. Or the cultural appropriation of pizza. Whichever is funnier because who cares never going to happen.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

If Jake Allen has another 45+ saves in regulation against the Wild this playoff season I will purchase an allen shirsey, provided the blues win the series

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 8, 2017

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Lots of people picking bruins over sens, despite the season series being 4-0 sens....

they bad

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Where are the toxxs, I want to see some Oilers or Leafs fans make some silly ones.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

My Toxx is as such.

Since I am prohibited from drinking for medical reasons until May 5th, on that day, I shall drink one beer for every game the sens lost.

(Not good enough?)

Real Toxx:

I will buy an avatar of whatever team knocks the sens out of the playoffs, which two special cases.
1. Should the leafs make it farther then the sens, then the avatar will instead be a leafs one
2. Should the sens win the cup, it will be a Karlsson and/or Anderson one.

(Also, for every round the sens make, I will donate $20 to the Canadian Cancer Society, with an additional $50 if they win the cup.)

EDIT: :toxx:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bunnyofdoom posted:

I think the Pens went like 3-1 or something like that against the Bruins then got promptly swept by them in the ECF a few years back so I wouldn't read too much into that stuff

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Probably different from what I sent into the google docs but meh

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 10, 2017

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Mike_V posted:

Where are the toxxs, I want to see some Oilers or Leafs fans make some silly ones.

I made a Toxx in another thread, but I can't find it.

e: found it!

all-Rush mixtape posted:

In fact, :toxx: if the Toronto Maple Leafs make the 2017 Stanley Cup Final, I will fly to Toronto from Austin to watch Games 4-7 (almost certainly at Maple Leaf Square) :toxx:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ginette Reno posted:

I think the Pens went like 3-1 or something like that against the Bruins then got promptly swept by them in the ECF a few years back so I wouldn't read too much into that stuff

CBJ went 0-5-0 against the Pens in 2013-14 before splitting the first four games in the playoffs.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
The Caps beat the Leafs 2-1 in the season series, and the Leafs swept them in the first round in 2017 on way to the Leafs' long march to winning the Stanley Cup.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Season series doesn't mean much. There's been multiple cases where a team has dominated another team in the season series, yet struggles and eventually loses to them in the playoffs. Even for these playoffs, the Oilers won the season series against most of the West (only losing to the Preds and Wild), yet I doubt many people would look at that and go "Oh yeah they'll make the Cup Finals for sure!"

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Travis Yost did something on this recently. He only went back to 07-08, but:

quote:

What’s interesting though is that a team’s head-to-head goal differential against their given opponent(s) seems to matter just as much. As a standalone metric, head-to-head goal differentials have forecasted winners at just about the same success rate – and over the last five years, it’s actually marginally beaten out the likes of Corsi% and Goal% as alternative standalone measures.

You’ll notice that the top two, in terms of predictivity, are actually combinations of metrics. If you looked at every historical matchup in which a team – regardless of whether or not they were a favorite or underdog (it should be noted that differentiating between the two here doesn’t seem to matter) – had a higher percentage of the shot and goal share than their opponents, they win about 73 per cent of the time. Though nine seasons of data is still a bit limited, that certainly seems to be an upgrade over the individual metrics.

When you combine instances in which a team was superior in Corsi% and head-to-head goal differential, you’re at about the 75th percentile. It’s been particularly accurate over the last 75 playoff matchups, nailing 58 of those.

So, how does this play back to a team like Montreal? Well, one thing to keep in mind is that the Bruins – regardless of who is coaching them – have dominated the shot share all year (about 56 per cent). If you are looking for an opponent you have both had success against during the regular season and know you can reasonably out-shoot on most nights, the Rangers would satisfy that criteria, while the Bruins wouldn’t.
Definitely something to keep in mind as April approaches.

http://www.tsn.ca/the-search-for-the-ideal-first-round-playoff-scenario-1.702066

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
submitted my picks last night so the # of games might deviate slightly from what i posted there. nonetheless the teams are the same:

MTL in 7
BOS in 6
WSH in 5
CBJ in 6

CHI in 5
ANA in 6
MIN in 6
EDM in 7

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I think the Preds have what it takes to knock off the Hawks if Rinne can play at a .920 level.

I like the Blues to take out the Wild, but I'd be more confident if Paul Stastny hadn't broken his foot 3 weeks ago.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Who the hell cares about the season series.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
That year we were 5-0 against the Leafs in the regular season and then got swept. -

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah season series doesn't seem to mean a whole lot when playoff hockey seems to play out far different from regular season hockey, and teams can either be backing into the playoffs or riding a ton of momentum compared to when they'd played their opponents in the regular season.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

Yeah season series doesn't seem to mean a whole lot when playoff hockey seems to play out far different from regular season hockey, and teams can either be backing into the playoffs or riding a ton of momentum compared to when they'd played their opponents in the regular season.

I thought so too but T-Bone's article above has me questioning that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I do think there's something to be said for one team just having another's number, things like that, but with as goofy as NHL scheduling can be (didn't the Flyers and Pens not play one another last year until they were like 3 months in?) i don't buy it as bible truth or anything.

I can definitely buy goal differential as a factor. Like T-bone's article indicates. A season sweep of 4-0 looks a lot different if they were all really tight games or something like that.

• Locked thread