Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Launch Game?
Dreamcast - Soulcalibur
DS - Super Mario 64 DS
Game Boy - Tetris
Game Boy Advance – Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
GameCube - Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
NES - Super Mario Bros.
Nintendo 64 - Super Mario 64
PlayStation - Ridge Racer
PlayStation 3 - Resistance: Fall of Man
Saturn - Panzer Dragoon
SNES - F-Zero
SNES - SimCity
SNES - Super Mario World
Switch – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
TurboGrafx-16 - Alien Crush
TurboGrafx-16 - R-Type
Vita – Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Wii – The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Wii – Wii Sports
Xbox: Halo: Combat Evolved
Kerbal Space Program
View Results

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Super Mario 64 really did showcase a huge step beyond the SNES to N64 era, but I couldn't vote for it simply because as a 3D platformer it wasn't the best game for that console (but yes, it did come first).

Anyways, voted Tetris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
At first, the highest pick of SM64 surprised me, but then it didn't. That likely happened when the majority of us were young teenagers, and we really appreciated a system launch. The SNES, Genesis, or NES were probably just a little bit too early for many of us. I waited in a line outside Toys R Us for a N64, and it felt like I was living in a dream when I brought it back home. It was too good, too much fun to be real.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rogue squadron on gcn

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Please do your best to remember how bad the N64 controller was and how that impacts the entertainment value of SM64.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Voted Halo and I'm not necessarily a fan of the game.

There are better games on that list, full stop. Various Mario games, Tetris, Zelda, etc. are all games I had more fun with, but none of those I think were as important to their system as Halo was to the original XBox. Hell, without Halo, Microsoft would have been a one-and-done system manufacturer.

For the same reasons, I almost voted Wii Sports instead but I think it led to more negatives with other minigame focused shovelware coming out because of the popularity of that game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Maybe could have voted Halo if not for the shameful imbalance of Pistol Supremacy.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
It's a tough choice depending on how you wanna look at the question and meaning of "best".

I chose Super Mario 64 as a personal option because it was seriously one of the biggest impact releases on my childhood. Renting an N64 with Wave Race and Mario 64 until it was eventually purchased was pretty much THE memory in that time of my life. Can't say it's objectively a better game than anything on that list, but at the time it was basically a mind blowing new world for me.

I honestly think Wii Sports is a really huge honorable mention. Not because it was a mind blowing set of a mini games on its own, but because it was a pre-packaged goldmine for Nintendo that influenced a TON of poo poo. Never before has a release game made so much publicity and wide-spread appeals, everyone knew what the hell a Wii was, even if only for the motion games. Copying Nintendo is nothing new, but this release game, and the Wii as a whole, basically forced the hand of Sony and Microsoft to follow suit. The power of Wii Sports single handedly caused business to attempt to match or best them and that makes it deserve at least some recognition in that respect.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Looking at that list, Super Mario World stands out as the most fun. Like, if you showed me that list of games and asked me to pick which one I'd most want to play right now, I'd pick SMW seven or eight times out of ten, so that's what I voted for. But Super Mario Bros and Super Mario 64 were more innovative and almost certainly did more to define their respective consoles and generations of gaming than SMW did.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Blazing Lasers. Made NES look like a DECROTED PIECE OF CRAP!!!!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

new phone who dis posted:

Please do your best to remember how bad the N64 controller was and how that impacts the entertainment value of SM64.

I was 13, it was 3D, I wouldn't have cared if the controller was made out of rusty razor blades and AIDS.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

imo the best launch games for consideration here showcase the potential of a new gen but then also are so good they are unmatched for the entire gen in one or more aspects

mario 64 achieves this in playcontrol. nothing else on that system feels as good as mario

rogue squadron did it in graphics on the cube.

there are further examples.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I remember the N64 controller was fine so long as you didn't hold it like a total moron, so... yeah the winner is still Mario 64.

Donkey Kong for Coleco was a pretty good get for the time. Even if it barely aged well, that's a pretty solid attack on the competition.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Ps1, battle arena toshinden. I was 11 years old and that poo poo blew my mind.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't in Twisted Metal: Black a launch title for the PS2? If so that would definitely get some recognition. I don't think it's better than Super Mario World and Super Mario 64 but it's definitely a strong title.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 11, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I would say Super Mario Bros or Super Mario World way before 64, but then again I've never really found that game enjoyable and I'm just gonna assume most of you whipper snappers were like 10 or 11 when the N64 came out.

Between those two I would probably go with SMB because I still enjoy the simplicity of it and while I played the poo poo out of SMW when I was a kid, I'm not really crazy about it when I play it these days. But Tetris beats them both.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Mario World over 64 obviously. 64 was a good 3d mario game, but every other 3d Mario was poo poo awful and the franchise slunk back to where the money is made. SMW is still probably the standard for tight platformer controls. 64 also is all one big 3d world collectathon, something most folks can't stand now.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
How come the PS3 is listed (with a dire and boring game to boot) and the 360 isnt? Both Resistance and Perfect Dark Zero were as crap as each other

My vote was for Halo, I was going to pick SMW but the LAN parties and social camaraderie of Halo back in its heydey pips it for me.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'd say it's Mario 64 but Super Mario World is close behind.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

My Nvidia RIVA TNT 2 card launched with Mechwarrior 2. It had 32 megabytes of EXPLOSIVELY REAL vram.

Edit: but to contribute, I think Mario World holds up the best after all this time but Mario 64 set the bar for platformers, 3D games, games of that generation, Nintendo 64 games, mascot games...

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Ah, you've got me thinking about the first time I booted up Quake 2 with my brand new video card. Also an Nvidia Riva TNT2 Ultra. Good heavens what an amazing change!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

credburn posted:

Edit: but to contribute, I think Mario World holds up the best after all this time but Mario 64 set the bar for platformers, 3D games, games of that generation, Nintendo 64 games, mascot games...
This is my argument. SMW was a hell of a launch game, but it was largely a refinement and evolution of what had previously come in SMB3. SM64 laid down the blueprint for at least the next decade of 3D games.

I'd make a similar argument for Halo and modern FPS games, but that's very much a "for better or worse" case - Mario was a marked improvement on the tank-controls setup commonly used for 3D platformers beforehand.

Harlock posted:

The 32X launched with Doom and The Xbox 1 launched with Tony Hawk 2

Tough choice
I love Doom more than any human being reasonably should, but the 32X version was not a good port. Many of the levels and monsters were cut (including the bosses!), there's no save game system, the BFG9000 can only be acquired with cheats and the music consists entirely of farts.

Tony Hawk 2X was a great version of the first two Tony Hawk games (updated versions of all the TH1 maps were included), but Tony Hawk 3 was already out on PS2 so it felt a bit outdated and... well... as much as I like Tony Hawk 2, it doesn't really stand in the company of the rest of this thread.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Mario 64 was prolly also the first game, or first good game, most people played w/ an analog stick controller

I don't like it as much as the classic 2D or modern 3D Marios but if you're voting based on things like the most influential or important launch title I think there's a good case for it

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

i'm the first person to vote for riiidge racer??? shameful

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

god shut up you loving idiot

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
According to wikipedia, Link's Awakening DX was a 3DS Virtual Console "launch title", so that.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I read that the game was designed (in terms of control) based on the pad design though, the movement tweaked based on what the pad would actually allow. If you've tried playing the DS version of 64 using either the d-pad or the horrible slide analogue then you'd see that N64 pad is actually perfect for the game.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

blamegame posted:

god shut up you loving idiot

yes that's right, don't probate the person who thought the n64 controller was bad, probate the person who called them out

mods like the dreamcast and NES controllers, pass it on

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

yes that's right, don't probate the person who thought the n64 controller was bad, probate the person who called them out

mods like the dreamcast and NES controllers, pass it on

I adore the NES controller! No shame here!!! :getin:

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

The N64 controller is still my favourite controller of all time.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
The stick in the center of the N64 controller was terrible and whoever said it was fine as long as you didn't hold the controller like a retard forgets you were actually forced to hold it like a retard by design.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I totally get the arguments for Super Mario World and Super Mario 64 (and even Wii Sports to a certain extent), but even SM64's impact on the industry is nothing compared to the original Super Mario Bros. The very videogame industry itself might look very different today if not for the NES, and it's doubtful the NES would have taken off as well as it had without the gaming titan of the 1980s.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
wtf it's Altered Beast

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Super Mario 64 was groundbreaking at the time and is still pretty fun to play today.

The stick in the center of the N64 controller was terrible and whoever said it was fine as long as you didn't hold the controller like a retard forgets you were actually forced to hold it like a retard by design.

look here you son of a bitch I and the other three armed people that work at Nintendo found it perfectly natural to hold

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

McSpanky posted:

I totally get the arguments for Super Mario World and Super Mario 64 (and even Wii Sports to a certain extent), but even SM64's impact on the industry is nothing compared to the original Super Mario Bros. The very videogame industry itself might look very different today if not for the NES, and it's doubtful the NES would have taken off as well as it had without the gaming titan of the 1980s.
This is a fair point. However, SMB1 was not a launch title in Japan, and we can't actually be 100% certain that it was one in the US. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it and totally not trying to cover up for completely taking SMB1 for granted. :shobon:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mario 64 was maybe the first time it really felt like you were in control of an actual little guy in an actual 3d space, it really changed the whole gaming landscape.

Anyway NextGen agrees with me :colbert:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

a kitten posted:

Mario 64 was maybe the first time it really felt like you were in control of an actual little guy in an actual 3d space, it really changed the whole gaming landscape.

Anyway NextGen agrees with me :colbert:

"rings"?

I think NextGen accidentally played a Sonic game

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hahaha, that's hilarious and I somehow haven't noticed in the 20 years since that issue came out.

I still have it, it's a pretty great list of 100 awesome games up to that point.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I voted for Mario 64 but after thinking about it a bit more, Super Mario Bros is actually the only possible correct answer.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

It's a pretty small pool since not many consoles have had very good launch lineups, and even fewer have come with pack-in games, so the answer is really based on which Nintendo console you liked best between the NES, SNES, N64, Wii, or Gameboy.

(I guess you could also include Gamecube in this list, but I don't see anyone nominating Luigi's Mansion in the running for the greatest.)

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
The thing about SM64 that amazes me today is how you can still go back and play it and it's totally solid despite being a vanguard 3D title. 20-odd years later it doesn't feel unrefined or primitive like other groundbreakers such as SMB or Goldeneye.

• Locked thread