Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Launch Game?
Dreamcast - Soulcalibur
DS - Super Mario 64 DS
Game Boy - Tetris
Game Boy Advance – Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
GameCube - Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
NES - Super Mario Bros.
Nintendo 64 - Super Mario 64
PlayStation - Ridge Racer
PlayStation 3 - Resistance: Fall of Man
Saturn - Panzer Dragoon
SNES - F-Zero
SNES - SimCity
SNES - Super Mario World
Switch – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
TurboGrafx-16 - Alien Crush
TurboGrafx-16 - R-Type
Vita – Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Wii – The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Wii – Wii Sports
Xbox: Halo: Combat Evolved
Kerbal Space Program
View Results

• Locked thread
Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

wtf it's Altered Beast

This is the right answer from a marketing standpoint. Altered Beast did a great job of showing off how Genesis games looked and sounded better than the NES generation, and it was short enough that every Genesis owner went looking for a new game a week or so after getting the system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Probably Mario 64, but I also had a ton of fun with Soul Caliber. Then again, My cousin had the nes at launch and seeing SMB blew my tiny mind.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

goldeneye mp is still extremely win because i am very good at it and no one else still is

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Real hurthling! posted:

goldeneye mp is still extremely win because i am very good at it and no one else still is

I liked to put remote mines on walls and then screen watch other people until they pass by the other side of the wall and blow them up.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Chomp8645 posted:

I liked to put remote mines on walls and then screen watch other people until they pass by the other side of the wall and blow them up.

yeah.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Screen watchers get the death penalty

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Screen cheating is part of the game.

I wish there was a modern FPS that had multiplayer that felt as accessible as GoldenEye or Doom. The secret: make the y-axis unimportant. That drastically compresses the skill spectrum.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Half life 2 is technically a launch title for Steam

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Orange Harrison posted:

The thing about SM64 that amazes me today is how you can still go back and play it and it's totally solid despite being a vanguard 3D title. 20-odd years later it doesn't feel unrefined or primitive like other groundbreakers such as SMB or Goldeneye.

I dunno, it is a primitive tech demo in many ways but it's also still incredibly fun and feels better to play than every other 3D platformer on the system

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
While it's "merely" an updated version of Super Mario 64, I feel like Super Mario 64 DS perfectly demonstrated what the new hardware could do, while polishing and updating a timeless classic. This is the reason my vote went to that over the original.

Of course, there's the strong argument that the original was far, far more important, with which I don't necessarily disagree.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

thumb strap on touchscreen was lovely

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Kid Fenris posted:

This is the right answer from a marketing standpoint. Altered Beast did a great job of showing off how Genesis games looked and sounded better than the NES generation, and it was short enough that every Genesis owner went looking for a new game a week or so after getting the system.

It's also a better game than every game on the poll.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's also a better game than every game on the poll.

return to your home planet immediately dude

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
FantaVision

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Spectracide posted:

FantaVision

Sony at their most ballsy...

"Just put out that fireworks demo we made to demonstrate particle effects! Charge them $49.99! Who cares if there's SSX?!"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Fantavision was the first PS2 game I had because the guy I bought the PS2 from on eBay included it. It was a rough couple of days until I got actual games.
Seems like the kind of game you would have expected to be translated into some lovely mobile game by now though.

Looper posted:

I dunno, it is a primitive tech demo in many ways but it's also still incredibly fun and feels better to play than every other 3D platformer on the system

That's kind of by default because pretty much every other 3D platformer of that era was hot garbage.
I would say Crash Bandicoot was the exception but that was more 2.5D

Goodguy3 posted:

Of course, there's the strong argument that the original was far, far more important, with which I don't necessarily disagree.

How do you mean by "important," though, other than being the basis for better 3D Mario games down the line? Sure, I'll give you innovative, but all of the games that tried to copy the formula turned out to be flaming poo poo, and I still have trouble thinking of any good platformers in the style of Mario 64 or any of its descendants. Are there any?

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 12, 2017

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

raditts posted:

Fantavision was the first PS2 game I had because the guy I bought the PS2 from on eBay included it. It was a rough couple of days until I got actual games.
Seems like the kind of game you would have expected to be translated into some lovely mobile game by now though.

That's kind of by default because pretty much every other 3D platformer of that era was hot garbage.
I would say Crash Bandicoot was the exception but that was more 2.5D

How do you mean by "important," though, other than being the basis for better 3D Mario games down the line? Sure, I'll give you innovative, but all of the games that tried to copy the formula turned out to be flaming poo poo, and I still have trouble thinking of any good platformers in the style of Mario 64 or any of its descendants. Are there any?

Also, 3D on the PC had already beaten what the 64 could do pretty much before it came out. It wasn't even a watershed technical moment.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

exquisite tea posted:

It's Super Mario World, OP.

It's the best game of all time.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

new phone who dis posted:

Also, 3D on the PC had already beaten what the 64 could do pretty much before it came out. It wasn't even a watershed technical moment.

Did any third-person 3D game before SM64 have controls as smooth and intuitive and natural-feeling as it, though? I've always thought of that, along with the great level design, as being the real innovations of SM64, rather than just the 3D graphics.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 12, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

can you think of a third person game in a full 3d world with a fully controllable camera that played as smoothly and well as mario 64 before mario was out? there really isn't anything else that matches that description until years after the fact, and it's now just a fact of life for half the games we play

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

new phone who dis posted:

Name one fucker

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
Was torn between Super Mario World and Rogue Squadron. Had to ultimately go with Mario World as I simply replay it a fuckload more.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Super Mario Bros. bc it's the link from Atari-era poo poo that was like just barely representational and not remotely fun to play to modern classics that you can actually go back and appreciate and understand. I think you can honestly and reasonably describe all vidya games as pre-SMB and post-SMB and I don't think you can do that for any other launch title.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Brosnan posted:

Super Mario Bros. bc it's the link from Atari-era poo poo that was like just barely representational and not remotely fun to play to modern classics that you can actually go back and appreciate and understand. I think you can honestly and reasonably describe all vidya games as pre-SMB and post-SMB and I don't think you can do that for any other launch title.

This is an awesome point.
Also, the top 5 results are all nintendo games.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Brosnan posted:

That really is a great point to make, it was a paradigm shift. Nintendo has always been the trendsetters like that. Not just with SMB but with SM64 too.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Wave Race was a few weeks late to the N64 release both in the EU and US, but I got it with the console and it was my fav near launch game. I put way more hours into it than Mario 64.

Similarly on Gamecube, Wave Race: Blue Storm was my go to launch game, and the only title I played throughout the console's lifespan. Man, that was a beautiful game!

The sad thing is I had forgotten that those games even existed until I looked up a list of console launch titles just now.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 12, 2017

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Brosnan posted:

I could agree with this. Gonna have to go with SM64 though, I don't have any memories of a pre-SMB world, so that is lost on me. For all I know, videogames have always been fantastic.

SM64 showed just how to properly do a 3D game, and had so many secrets and tricks. The SNES was mostly a NES that just looked nicer, and a couple games had special chips. Super Mario World is just a nice evolution over SMB3, but SM64 is the one that really changed the landscape.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

What's crazy about SM64 is that it's basically one of the first 3D exploration games, but it also includes things that you'd think would've come years after, like size-shifting, changing levels, flying powerups and a hub world.

It's not primitive at all. It feels like an evolved version of the concept, not a first attempt.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Was Starfox 64 a launch title? That convinced me to get a 64 more than Mario tbh

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Away all Goats posted:

Was Starfox 64 a launch title? That convinced me to get a 64 more than Mario tbh

No. It came out the summer after. Barely in launch window.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Mario 64. Super Mario Bros was also groundbreaking but wasn't really a launch title. It was also still iteration on a previous formula, the core mechanics of the game still derive from Donkey Kong and Mario Bros.

While other early 3d platformers had some superficial graphical similarity, Mario 64 played nothing like them. It was completely new and yet somehow they managed to completely nail it. Most 3d platformers still don't feel as good as Mario 64 does.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 12, 2017

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

raditts posted:

Psychonauts.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

raditts posted:

Banjo Kazooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day

e: also DK 64

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 12, 2017

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Very interesting reasoning all around. Halo made the Xbox competitive and influenced FPS design for years to come. Wii Sports attracted new audiences and lapsed gamers. Resistance starred Nathan Hale, a man who regretted he had but one life to lose for his country.

Pakled posted:

Did any third-person 3D game before SM64 have controls as smooth and intuitive and natural-feeling as it, though? I've always thought of that, along with the great level design, as being the real innovations of SM64, rather than just the 3D graphics.

Guys who think Super Mario 64 was great:

Dan Houser, some guy who works at Rockstar: "Anyone who makes 3-D games who says they’ve not borrowed something from Mario or Zelda is lying — from the games on Nintendo 64, not necessarily the ones from today."

Ashraf Ismail, some guy who made a pirate game: Ashraf noted that Mario 64 was a massive reference and that it's one of his favorite games of all time. "This was the world we decided to build. We wanted a hub world with pockets of maps and it's really different for [Assassin's Creed]."

Martin Hollis, some guy who directed Goldeneye: From Mario 64, I took the idea of 5 missions per level. Yes, we changed it from the Mario format, which was attempt-one-mission-per-play, but the idea for the huge variety of missions within a level came from Mario 64... We played through Mario 64 together and it really inspired us in terms of variety of objective design.

Tetsuya Nomura, some guy who can't ship games: "Well, just as I was working on FFVII, Mario 64 was released. The fully three-dimensional spaces and the freedom you had to run around them had a big impact on me. When I told my colleagues I wanted to make a game like that, they said “but Mario’s already a world-famous character. It would be impossible to start from scratch with an all-new character.”

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Pakled posted:

the only real 3D competition at the time was Quake and Tomb Raider. Quake controls fairly well, Tomb Raider controls like absolute garbage.

SM64 is still playable. Quake kinda is, Tomb Raider is almost certainly not.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Someone is forgetting, uh, Jumping Flash?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
You all make good points.

Super Mario 64 is still one of the best 3d platformers ever. Mario Galaxy 2 is better, but that's two systems later. I don't think a better game came out for the n64, which is kind of wild.

Super Mario Brothers is amazingly influential but kind of clunky to play.

Mario World is the best 2d platformer of all time. There have been some great ones since, like Meat Boy. But there's nothing as good as Mario World. It is a perfect game. It is so fun to play, so intuitive to control, packed with secrets and tricks and fun diversions. It's got big Monty Moles with cool sunglasses. It's the best game.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

In the middle of the grand debate between whether 'greatest' should lean more towards the timeless entertainment of Super Mario World or the Historic 3d Paradigm-shift of Mario 64, a single voter drops his slip into the 'Uncharted - Vita' box.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The Walrus posted:

can you think of a third person game in a full 3d world with a fully controllable camera that played as smoothly and well as mario 64 before mario was out? there really isn't anything else that matches that description until years after the fact, and it's now just a fact of life for half the games we play

My point is that I can't think of a third person game in a full 3D world that plays like Mario after it was out, that isn't another 3D Mario game

IcePhoenix posted:

Banjo Kazooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day

Conker's controls like absolute garbage though. The only thing that game had going for it was that it had naughty adult content and WASNT YOUR DADDYS NINTENDO GAME

SwissCM posted:

Mario 64. Super Mario Bros was also groundbreaking but wasn't really a launch title. It was also still iteration on a previous formula, the core mechanics of the game still derive from Donkey Kong and Mario Bros.

While other early 3d platformers had some superficial graphical similarity, Mario 64 played nothing like them. It was completely new and yet somehow they managed to completely nail it. Most 3d platformers still don't feel as good as Mario 64 does.

This is silly. Super Mario Bros. has "starring Mario and Luigi, being on a 2D plane, able to hit enemies on a soft platform from below" in common with Mario Bros. and that's about it. Gameplay wise they are almost completely different.
It has about as much in common with Donkey Kong as Mario 64 has with it (i.e. next to nothing), although Donkey Kong and SMB both had a huge impact on their respective eras. I can name plenty of games offhand that have clear influence from Donkey Kong or SMB that are not sequels to those games. Not so much with Mario 64.

Eela6 posted:

You all make good points.

Super Mario 64 is still one of the best 3d platformers ever. Mario Galaxy 2 is better, but that's two systems later. I don't think a better game came out for the n64, which is kind of wild.

Super Mario Brothers is amazingly influential but kind of clunky to play.

Mario World is the best 2d platformer of all time. There have been some great ones since, like Meat Boy. But there's nothing as good as Mario World. It is a perfect game. It is so fun to play, so intuitive to control, packed with secrets and tricks and fun diversions. It's got big Monty Moles with cool sunglasses. It's the best game.

I dunno, personally Rayman Legends and Origins are the best 2D platformers I've ever played. Everything about those games just flows so nicely, the music fits the atmosphere perfectly, it just feels good to play them.
Then again I fall toward SMB3 in the battle of Best Mario Game, so.

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

raditts posted:

I dunno, personally Rayman Legends and Origins are the best 2D platformers I've ever played. Everything about those games just flows so nicely, the music fits the atmosphere perfectly, it just feels good to play them.
Then again I fall toward SMB3 in the battle of Best Mario Game, so.

Those are excellent games but don't hit the same level for me. The music levels are very cute.

SMB3 owns and is one of the greatest games of all time. It's no Super Mario World but nothing is.

• Locked thread