Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Launch Game?
Dreamcast - Soulcalibur
DS - Super Mario 64 DS
Game Boy - Tetris
Game Boy Advance – Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
GameCube - Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
NES - Super Mario Bros.
Nintendo 64 - Super Mario 64
PlayStation - Ridge Racer
PlayStation 3 - Resistance: Fall of Man
Saturn - Panzer Dragoon
SNES - F-Zero
SNES - SimCity
SNES - Super Mario World
Switch – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
TurboGrafx-16 - Alien Crush
TurboGrafx-16 - R-Type
Vita – Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Wii – The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Wii – Wii Sports
Xbox: Halo: Combat Evolved
Kerbal Space Program
View Results

• Locked thread
new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Sakurazuka posted:

Name one fucker

N64 came in September 1996 to the US. Here is a small list of games previous to that that did way more with 3d than Mario:

TIE Fighter
Duke Nukem 3D
Descent 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

new phone who dis posted:

N64 came in September 1996 to the US. Here is a small list of games previous to that that did way more with 3d than Mario:

TIE Fighter
Duke Nukem 3D
Descent 2

Descent 2 is the only good game on this list

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

fivegears4reverse posted:

What the gently caress.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Why is everybody forgetting the "2:Yoshi's Island" when they mention the best 2d platformer?

I really liked Klonoa & Donkey Kong Country Returns, as far as post 16 bit 2d platformers go.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
I'm now somewhat regretting Super Mario 64 as my vote. As groundbreaking as it was, and while still having ripple effects 20 years later, I should have gone with NES Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario Bros on the NES basically singlehandedly resurrected the video game industry after the Atari 2600 debacle nearly killed it. It wasn't just launching a console. It launched a whole new era.

The video game industry had undergone an Extinction Level Event through 81-83. Then 84-86 was Nintendo crawling out from a remote cave and repopulating the earth with the seeds for decades of video game evolution, with Mario leading the charge.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
Luigi's Mansion, easily.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

On my way to the hospital due to the lacerations from this edgy post

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

TIE Fighter
Duke Nukem 3D
Descent 2

THIS IS WHAT SCIENTOLOGISTS ACTUALLY BELIEVE

lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

Pole Position II, Galaga and Robotron 2084. Made me buy a 7800. :colbert:

Ok, so it was 25 years later and a good deal, still it's a good system for old arcade games.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Ambitious Spider posted:

Why is everybody forgetting the "2:Yoshi's Island" when they mention the best 2d platformer?

it's fuckin weird

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

an actual dog posted:

it's fuckin weird

This dude's not down with touching fuzzy

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I mean, it's fuckin weird that folks aren't properly rating yoshi's island. good fukin game

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I'm actually going to give props to the other SMB on the list and vote Super Monkey Ball. No big reason, except that I'd term it the most underrated of any launch title, and it kicks a lot of rear end.

It's also worth laughing at how launch Gamecube got that as a casual multiplayer game and XBox had Fuzion Frenzy. Nice going Microsoft.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Fuzion Frenzy 3 where

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Mario's Tennis

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

How is Kerbal Space Program not on the list?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
A good launch title is both a good game in its own right and a game that introduces people to the capabilities of the new system, especially if those capabilities are significantly different from what came before. People give the N64 controller poo poo for being this weird three-lobed monster, but at the time the analog control stick was a risk: Nintendo hedged on it by making a controller that could be used either with a D-pad or with the analog stick, and then took their best shot at making a game that would convince people that it was a good idea. (Then they made the same mistake with the Gamecube controller, where they hedged on dual analog sticks with the C-stick.)

Super Mario 64 starts with the courtyard, a sandbox for learning basic movement and camera control. (Also, an optional tutorial that you don't even have to opt into.) I remember seeing the Super Mario 64 demo at Target, and seeing people pick it up and run in circles around the courtyard. They didn't even go into the castle, much less into a level; they just ran around the courtyard, minds blown by the idea of controlling Mario in 3D. (That, or they got the stick out of calibration, I guess.) If you're playing it now, sure, you beeline for the castle door because analog 3D control is old hat now. And the gameplay still holds up: it's the best of the 3D adventure platformers of its era because most of them had too many gimmicks and way too many loving collectibles (Banjo-Kazooie, this is your fault).

Super Mario World is a really good game but it's not revolutionary in the same sense: it feels like a natural evolution of SMB3. Super Mario Bros. was revolutionary in the sense that it brought the games industry back from the brink, but playing it now, it feels somewhat tired just because it's been ripped off so many times. Breath of the Wild and Twilight Princess weren't even exclusive to the console they launched on.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TIE Fighter
Duke Nukem 3D
Descent 2

What do a bunch of first person games have to do with Mario 64 innovating 3D third person camera and controls?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

If mario 64 didn't come out 3D games would have been set back anywhere from months to years (crash could probably have filled the void given how they were already toeing the 3D border with crash 1) but if Bros didn't come out there might not even be a videogame market

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

wheres candy crush op

revolther
May 27, 2008
Some serious rose-tinted glasses about how well Mario64 controlled. The camera lag and catch up behavior, how it was treated as an actor bumping into walls rather than clipping, re-orienting itself and such, was a big step forward though.

Stretching his face was the best part, which they never did again either...

Guy who said Altered Beast is right, "Wise from your waves and wescue my water!"

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Yo Yoshi's Island was amazing. One of the last classic SNES games.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I thought Banjo Kazooie was a better 3D game than SM64. Mainly just on camera controls alone.

To take it a different discussion - what was the best launch window? It's hard to think of one better than the PS2 which had GT3, FFX, Jak and Daxter plus a bunch of others I'm forgetting.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

raditts posted:

On my way to the hospital due to the lacerations from this edgy post

If you're going to name contemporary PC games that "did more in 3D" than Super Mario 64, at least name good ones. He named Descent 2, which is good. If he named Descent 1, Quake 1, Mechwarrior 2, it'd be a longer list of good PC games.

None of which are better than Mario 64 anyway so

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

It's armored core 2 on ps2

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

If you're going to name contemporary PC games that "did more in 3D" than Super Mario 64, at least name good ones. He named Descent 2, which is good. If he named Descent 1, Quake 1, Mechwarrior 2, it'd be a longer list of good PC games.

None of which are better than Mario 64 anyway so

You're one of those people that thought Goldeneye was "revolutionary" too, aren't you

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

raditts posted:

You're one of those people that thought Goldeneye was "revolutionary" too, aren't you

No, I liked GoldenEye a lot because more of my friends could play it and have fun.

I'm glad you can still post from the hospital though, stay safe

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

No, I liked GoldenEye a lot because more of my friends could play it and have fun.

I'm glad you can still post from the hospital though, stay safe

I didn't make it, I died and it's all your loving fault

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Original NES Super Mario was my first video game :)

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It's a stone cold tie between NES Super Mario Bros and Mario 64. Both of these games basically defined and shaped gaming as we know it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't know why because I like other games on the list more, but Halo stands out to me since it sold so many people on a brand new system with no history and also brought FPS to consoles in a pretty big way (not discounting Goldeneye as being a big game).

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Thinking about which early 3D games are still fun and I'm struggling to think of a better example than SM64. It's a better game than the pseudo-sequels Banjo-Kazooie or DK64. Those are overloaded and bloated. Mario 64 has enough to make every level fun and interesting and is never overly repetitive or forceful in directing you.

DK64 literally grinds to a halt so you are forced to play the arcade DK game. It's unreasonable and made me give up on the entire thing. BK is similar in that the progression requirements are too high and it forces you to do a whole bunch of unfun collecting. SM64 lets you get by on 60% - 80% completion so you can keep having fun. The others make you go do homework.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The worst was how Jet Force Gemini actually requires you to find all those stupid koalas before you can access the last part of the game, which just effectively means going through every level 5-6 times as you pointlessly search around with each of the characters. As a kid I was having a lot of fun with the game up until that point.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yep. That's another example of how developers gently caress up the idea that 'collecting = fun'. It's fun to grab coins or whatever, but putting such a high threshold before completion is idiotic. DK64 has you play both Jetpack AND DK64 to a pretty high standard. It's probably the hardest part of the game - completing another, different game in the middle of it. Imagine if Halo had you pop out a few rounds of Peggle before the end of the game.

Compare that to Breath Of The Wild's "just go for it", it's remarkable how far we've come concerning gating conclusions.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

The worst was how Jet Force Gemini actually requires you to find all those stupid koalas before you can access the last part of the game, which just effectively means going through every level 5-6 times as you pointlessly search around with each of the characters. As a kid I was having a lot of fun with the game up until that point.

Didn't Conker's BFD do the same thing, where you have to find stacks of money to bribe your way past certain points in the game? I remember there was one that took me forever to find.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

well why not posted:

Yep. That's another example of how developers gently caress up the idea that 'collecting = fun'. It's fun to grab coins or whatever, but putting such a high threshold before completion is idiotic.
The best sort of collectathons are the ones where you don't have to do them at all to complete the game, but doing them gets you cool in-game rewards (not just cheevos or minor appearance tweaks). GTA's hidden packages unlocking weapons and vehicles for your base is one of the best examples I can think of.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Majora's Mask launched with the expansion pac, does that count?

edit: Hey you pikachu launched with the n64 mic

Plebian Parasite fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 13, 2017

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
With Jet Force Gemini, there was quite a bit of game already there before that point. It was kind of cool that after you "beat" the game, there were still whole areas of the game that you hadn't seen before that you needed to go back to.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Plebian Parasite posted:

Majora's Mask launched with the expansion pac, does that count?

edit: Hey you pikachu launched with the n64 mic

In that case, it's Seaman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

zenintrude posted:

In that case, it's Seaman

i'm ok with this.

• Locked thread