Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Launch Game?
Dreamcast - Soulcalibur
DS - Super Mario 64 DS
Game Boy - Tetris
Game Boy Advance – Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
GameCube - Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
NES - Super Mario Bros.
Nintendo 64 - Super Mario 64
PlayStation - Ridge Racer
PlayStation 3 - Resistance: Fall of Man
Saturn - Panzer Dragoon
SNES - F-Zero
SNES - SimCity
SNES - Super Mario World
Switch – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
TurboGrafx-16 - Alien Crush
TurboGrafx-16 - R-Type
Vita – Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Wii – The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Wii – Wii Sports
Xbox: Halo: Combat Evolved
Kerbal Space Program
View Results

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

zenintrude posted:

In that case, it's Seaman

Sega bass fishing for the best fishing rod launch title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ineffiable posted:

I've never had a dreamcast fishing rod. I really need to fix that.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Ineffiable posted:

If you aren't playing Soulcalibur with the fishing rod, you ain't living

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
You all are forgetting Phantasy Star Online Episode I and II for GCN which launched with this the GameCube ASCII controller.

E: in Japan

Tingfinder
Oct 21, 2013
PC - Everquest

edit: i should clarify that despite having loads of bugs, it had an insanely detailed 3d world on a scale not really seen before that, with loads of npcs having a life of their own, roaming around and changing positions in relation to the time of day. Also, lots of depth with the guards in human cities having corrupt and uncorrupt factions, and subtlety with things not being outright stated, that you could figure out by watching the world.

Tingfinder fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 14, 2017

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
If you wanna go that route might as well throw in:

PC - Myst

The original launch game for the CD-Rom drive.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

raditts posted:

Didn't Conker's BFD do the same thing, where you have to find stacks of money to bribe your way past certain points in the game? I remember there was one that took me forever to find.

I remember Rayman on the PS1 doing the same thing too, you had to find every single cage in the game to access the last level. I never did beat that game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Plebian Parasite posted:

In the middle of the grand debate between whether 'greatest' should lean more towards the timeless entertainment of Super Mario World or the Historic 3d Paradigm-shift of Mario 64, a single voter drops his slip into the 'Uncharted - Vita' box.

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Another cool thing about SMB1 is that is mere existence eventually resulted in the development of Doom so it's like voting for a twofer. But I still have to go with SM64, I still play that game about once yearly.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

My brain says either Super Mario Bros., Super Mario World or Super Mario 64, but my heart says Panzer Dragoon.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I remember Rayman on the PS1 doing the same thing too, you had to find every single cage in the game to access the last level. I never did beat that game.

ps1 games seem to do this a lot, in crash bandicoot you had to beat every level without dying and get every box to get the real ending, and crash 1 was not an easy game

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Beelerzebub posted:

You all are forgetting Phantasy Star Online Episode I and II for GCN which launched with this the GameCube ASCII controller.

E: in Japan

I played PSO like crazy on the Dreamcast, which is crazy because it was essentially just 4 levels and you just grinded through those same 4 levels over and over again. Somehow, this was fun to my young mind.

I bought it on Gamecube and it just wasn't the same. The monthly fee limited people who played and the fact that the Gamecube never came out with a official controller meant that the people that did play were limited in their communication.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

blackguy32 posted:

I played PSO like crazy on the Dreamcast, which is crazy because it was essentially just 4 levels and you just grinded through those same 4 levels over and over again. Somehow, this was fun to my young mind.

I bought it on Gamecube and it just wasn't the same. The monthly fee limited people who played and the fact that the Gamecube never came out with a official controller meant that the people that did play were limited in their communication.

I had something like 500 hours on the original vanilla PSO. Hit the level cap and just kept on going.

Simpler times.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

raditts posted:

Didn't Conker's BFD do the same thing, where you have to find stacks of money to bribe your way past certain points in the game? I remember there was one that took me forever to find.

Conquer's BFD didn't require you to get all the money - but you had to get most of it, in a pretty specific order, so the game is actually very linear. I remember the first time I beat it I actually managed to skip a huge chunk of the barn world so you definitely didn't need all the cash, but I think that was the only major area you could straight up skip like that. Beyond a certain point most of the game was locked behind progressing the plot rather than having a certain amount of money.

On another note, there's something Halo 1 and the Xbox deserves a fair bit of credit for - normalizing online gaming on consoles. Sure, the Dreamcast and PS2 and maybe a few others had online adapters (and of course PC gaming), but Xbox and Xbox live made the first big online multiplayer community on consoles and that opened up a huge number of people to online gaming.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Manyorcas posted:

On another note, there's something Halo 1 and the Xbox deserves a fair bit of credit for - normalizing online gaming on consoles. Sure, the Dreamcast and PS2 and maybe a few others had online adapters (and of course PC gaming), but Xbox and Xbox live made the first big online multiplayer community on consoles and that opened up a huge number of people to online gaming.
Halo 1 didn't have online play. Xbox Live launched a year after the console did. Unreal Championship and MechAssault were two of the big flagship live launch titles but it was Halo 2 in 2004 that really got everyone buying into console online.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Pong on Pong consoles.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
Not one mention of Azurik: Rise of Perathia on Xbox, for shame

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

Manyorcas posted:

1: Halo didn't have online.
2: Fans still maintain Tony Hawk 3 servers.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

It was Halo 2 that normalized console online, in fact it was literally the game that invented matchmaking. Microsoft holds the patent since they owned the studio at the time.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Whoops, I never actually had an xbox so :downs:

As for the matchmaking patent, I guess things like Warcraft 3 (2002) and Starcraft's ladder systems weren't as complex as the playstyle algorithms Halo 2 had, and were for fewer players? Or were still just traditional lobby-joining systems?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Everything before Halo 2 were just old-fashioned server lists. They were good if you wanted to play something really specific (like Facing Worlds snipers-only Unreal Tournament matches) but people nowadays just want to go straight into a match, and there are private matches and communities for specific game modes and the like. Matchmaking is a revelation. Bungie never got enough credit for their achievement in my opinion.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 15, 2017

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
star citizen

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Has anyone said Project Rub? It's Project Rub.

NineBreaker
Oct 22, 2005

I'm glad I'm not alone in saying that the answer is Uncharted: Golden Abyss. Literally another person agrees with me. It's a good feeling.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Surprised there isn't even a comedy mention of this generation-defining classic:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

The Kins posted:

Surprised there isn't even a comedy mention of this generation-defining classic:

Not a launch title or it would have been there for sure.

Ground Zeros and The Bouncer can duke it out for greatest hour long "game" of all time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

zenintrude posted:

Not a launch title or it would have been there for sure.
Huh... could have swore it was.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Not a launch title I know, but Sega was a nothing company here in the US until they packed in Sonic the Hedgehog. It's *the* reason they were able to compete here, frankly so I feel like it counts.

Maybe more appropriate as a "best system sellers" answer.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Super Smash Brother's Melee probably wasn't as influential as SM64 but it's probably the Gamecube game I played the most.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ComposerGuy posted:

Not a launch title I know, but Sega was a nothing company here in the US until they packed in Sonic the Hedgehog. It's *the* reason they were able to compete here, frankly so I feel like it counts.

Maybe more appropriate as a "best system sellers" answer.

:what: Not to downplay Sonic in making them competitive in the console space, but Sega had been making arcade machines for years before they branched into consoles, of which the Genesis was the second.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Everything before Halo 2 were just old-fashioned server lists.

Cool, yet another way Halo made modern shooters worse.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Lord Lambeth posted:

Super Smash Brother's Melee probably wasn't as influential as SM64 but it's probably the Gamecube game I played the most.

Melee is technically not a launch title though. Came out a couple weeks afterwards.

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.

raditts posted:

:what: Not to downplay Sonic in making them competitive in the console space, but Sega had been making arcade machines for years before they branched into consoles, of which the Genesis was the second.

Third. Please do not forget the majestic SG-1000.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Huh, I was never aware that even existed.

Pakled posted:

Melee is technically not a launch title though. Came out a couple weeks afterwards.

I think up to a month or so post-launch can be reasonably considered "launch window."

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
It's a tie between Super Mario Bros. & Tetris.

If I had to choose, it would be SMB for several reasons most notably that it pretty much saved the games industry entirely, created arguably the most iconic and recognisable video mascot of all time, laid the ground work mechanically for almost every 2D platformer after it and is still fun to play today. It's influence is loving staggering - there's virtually nobody who doesn't know who Super Mario is.

Tetris was a game for everyone. My dad has been playing it for 25 years and still uses a gameboy color to play it on. For those that didn't like the idea of running and jumping or killing / shooting stuff, Tetris was their game. It crossed ages and gender like no other title for years and years after it's release.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

OP, it's Lite 3 for the Game.com.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

People talk about the great video games crash with great frequency, but wasn't it more of a console crash than anything else? Were arcades still doing well? I know of quite a few great/popular arcade games that were developed and distributed in the first half of the 80s, so I'm curious how much that sector really felt the Atari implosion

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Arcades also went into a bit of a decline around the same time, but I think it was more coincidental than a direct result of the crash.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Worth pointing out that Super Mario Bros may have been an NES launch title, but it was not a Famicom launch title...the Famicom came out two years before SMB did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Patter Song posted:

Worth pointing out that Super Mario Bros may have been an NES launch title, but it was not a Famicom launch title...the Famicom came out two years before SMB did.

This list was created based on USA :911: launch dates

• Locked thread