Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

What is Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus?
It's a cash grab by SquareEnix... No seriously. Put to go into it a bit further, Dirge of Cerberus is a Third-Person Shooter staring everyone's favorite character C- ERRR Vincent Valentine! You know that completely optional character in the original Final Fantasy VII. (The good one) The guy that was seething CHARACTER and EMOTION. Yeah they decided to make a game about him which is about as good as you'd think.

Will this be 100%
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAAAAAA------- NO! gently caress you for even thinking that. This game is shite and honestly the effort I've put forth to get even SOME of the collectables is more than enough. Let's not try to force me to get all the secret items and poo poo too. That'd be insane and I'd appreciate not doing that.

Wait did you say this is poo poo?
No I said it's shite. Jesus Christ pay the gently caress attention! But that being said there's some things to enjoy about this game. There's a chaining system which increases your damage the more kills you have and it's a bit of a fun challenge trying to keep it going throughout. Also with some of it you can 2-3 shot some bosses.
Basically there's a lot of mechanics in here that's fun to exploit. Weak Points for massive damage, and combos to big damage. It has its fun times, but near the end it does drop off pretty horribly.

Spoiler Policy
Much like with most of the games I LP, please keep them in tags.

Videos

Zain fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Omega Reports:

G-Reports:

Zain fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 19, 2017

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Final Shadow the fantasy hedegho.
Good lord this game

E:much funnier people than I have made every kind of joke at this game

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 10, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The first cutscene has Yuffie riding a flying motorbike without any sign of airsickness and Hojo as a human being instead of an alien thing.

This game is already off to a great start. :golfclap:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Oh don't worry it gets better! Trust me it gets better. Wait til you see the overall end of the game.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I can't find it, but I remember reading a great article about how Advent Children was more about getting the viewer to buy stuff than telling a story. The movie has a scene that evokes Aerith/s/th's death by showing the tie-in mobile phone sinking to the bottom of a pool of water. Vincent is the only core character other than Cloud and Tifa to get more than a glorified cameo and guess who happens to have his own game coming out around the time of the movie's release? It really nailed how, even by tie-in standards, it was all such a cynical cash-grab.

Zain posted:

Oh don't worry it gets better! Trust me it gets better. Wait til you see the overall end of the game.

And it's still better than Advent Children.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

okay now hold on let's not say anything we'll regret

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I have not finished this game but sir that movie is at least nice images and kansai accents.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

gently caress this game and everything it stands for, can't wait to see this trainwreck in video format now.

Also, Yuffie is great, and I'll stick to that. :colbert:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

bladeworksmaster posted:

You are SO so wrong on every level.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh god, I only know this from the TDI LP. Can't wait to see the trainwreck in motion.
Two minutes in, literally the first line in the game and the writing is already glorious: the hound weaves something something a dog sticking its paws into a loom.

e: Steve Blum's finest work, this ain't.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 11, 2017

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

you dont have to do this to yourself you poor bastard

the dark id already sacrificed himself to this horrible thing why would you willingly do the same

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
I really enjoyed this game back when I first got it, enough to go through all of the difficulties. I tried playing it again a few years later and holy poo poo no it is not a good game. I think the worst part is that you get shot the instant you enter enemies' line of sight no matter what.

Don't know what I saw in it the first time, but at least back then I still thought the writing was garbage.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You know we give furries poo poo for displaying their fetishes everywhere? The same goes for masochists, dude :colbert:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Oh god, I only know this from the TDI LP. Can't wait to see the trainwreck in motion.
Two minutes in, literally the first line in the game and the writing is already glorious: the hound weaves something something a dog sticking its paws into a loom.

e: Steve Blum's finest work, this ain't.

It's definitely Steven being his Blumiest that's for sure.

bladeworksmaster posted:

Almost as bad as Rikku

CommissarMega posted:

You know we give furries poo poo for displaying their fetishes everywhere? The same goes for masochists, dude :colbert:

Guess I'm double hosed in this instance.

magikid posted:

I really enjoyed this game back when I first got it, enough to go through all of the difficulties. I tried playing it again a few years later and holy poo poo no it is not a good game. I think the worst part is that you get shot the instant you enter enemies' line of sight no matter what.

Don't know what I saw in it the first time, but at least back then I still thought the writing was garbage.

I will say beginning game is way better than endgame. There's more you can do with the mechanics in the first couple of chapters and then near the end it's always these slap fights without the ability to raise your Chain gauge up. You'll see what I mean in the next video.

Zain fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 11, 2017

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

SSNeoman posted:

okay now hold on let's not say anything we'll regret

I'm saying it. This game is bad, there's no denying it, but AC was atrocious. I wasn't even that big of a FFVII fan and I felt cheated. Great soundtrack though, I'll freely admit that.

bladeworksmaster posted:

Look at this guy, with his correct opinions. Look at him and smile.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Dr. Snark posted:

you dont have to do this to yourself you poor bastard

the dark id already sacrificed himself to this horrible thing why would you willingly do the same
Maybe it requires sacrifices every few games or so...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Advent Children was fairly harmless fun, even if it did make Cloud an angsty brooder for the whole film.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Advent Children was fairly harmless fun, even if it did make Cloud an angsty brooder for the whole film.

And he had a reason and other people constantly told him to knock it off.

DoC's biggest sin is that it's terribly designed. Like forget the broody mc and story, those would be forgivable/enjoyable if the game had good design. But it's really not. The level design is terrible, the enemy design is samey and boring, the mission structure is terrible and it commits first time FPS mistakes that you won't see outside of amateur hour unity projects.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

OH! I would actually not care if all the enemies were samey, but there's one enemy type late game that's just super annoying and bullshit. But we won't get there for a while.

What I will spoil is weapon choice is poo poo! Since we got all of our attack options fairly early in the game. We get only 3 weapons throughout the game. Pistol, Machine Gun, and Sniper Rifle. Honestly if they had more variation in these things it'd be more interesting, or even enjoyable. But basically once you have your basic build it barely ever changes if it does.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Imagine if this had Resonance of Fate's weapon mechanics, and instead of swapping out barrels, it let you build ridiculous Frankenguns with 35 sights and 8 magazines.

God, that game was fun.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Imagine if this had Resonance of Fate's weapon mechanics, and instead of swapping out barrels, it let you build ridiculous Frankenguns with 35 sights and 8 magazines.

God, that game was fun.
What what.

Vincent only has 3 barrels on his now rifle-length "handgun". :(

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Only three barrels? Pfft, loser.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Alavaria posted:

What what.

Vincent only has 3 barrels on his now rifle-length "handgun". :(

Resonance of Fate is a magical game that everyone should play. Wish I didn't suck at it.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
To me one of the biggest condemnations of this game is how poo poo the soundtrack is. We could have had gothy buttmetal or pretentious orchestral goth remixes of music from FF7. Or just an entirely new buttmetal soundtrack. Instead we got just bland and forgettable nonsense. Final Fantasy VII has one of, if not the, best soundtracks in a series often known for its music, and that the game could drop the ball that hard on that front is just shameful.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

To me one of the biggest condemnations of this game is how poo poo the soundtrack is. We could have had gothy buttmetal or pretentious orchestral goth remixes of music from FF7. Or just an entirely new buttmetal soundtrack. Instead we got just bland and forgettable nonsense. Final Fantasy VII has one of, if not the, best soundtracks in a series often known for its music, and that the game could drop the ball that hard on that front is just shameful.

Holy poo poo! You're so right. I completely forgot there's music in this game... Honestly it's so forgettable and I've played it so much you'd think there's some song that would stand out but I honestly can't remember a single one.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:therapy: New update :therapy:

So, in this update we're fighting our first boss! And it shows off one of the things I liked most about at least the beginning levels of Dirge of Cerberus. We're not really going to see much of Vincent's (lack of) personality for a few chapters. It's all begrunden acceptance of the situation.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is the bad guy's name literally "Blue, the blue"? All that's missing is "the hedgehog".

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Is the bad guy's name literally "Blue, the blue"? All that's missing is "the hedgehog".

Yep! Spoilers, then we face off with Rosso, the Crimson. The naming conventions here are pretty amazing not going to lie.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:banjo: Another Serious and Edgy Update

In this episode there's lot of brooding and INTRIGUE or something.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Also women who refuse to wear pants.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Seriously if this game was a bit better, it would be the spirit animal for teenagers. That bit with the Pragsus Riders was amazing :allears:

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Only three barrels? Pfft, loser.

When Tri-ace inevitably re-releases the game on PC I hope to god they actually make the guns in battle look like that. Cause no matter what customization you have, the in-battle models don't change.
That game was basically cloth physics simulator first and RPG second.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 18, 2017

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

Seriously if this game was a bit better, it would be the spirit animal for teenagers. That bit with the Pragsus Riders was amazing :allears:

That's the thing right?! The game is good with ideas, but just execution is bad or worse not really thought out.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
This game is the crystalized essence of what I hated about FFVII; it is dark and edgy because that's what 14 year olds think is "mature" I gave myself a headache from rolling my eyes so hard at the dialog in this episode.

"Stabbed. Crushed. Strangled. Executed without mercy". loving really?

Also, of course the Red the Red has a Russian accent.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:emo: Update City :emo:

Alright! So fun things actually happen in this update. We get a sniper showdown and show that Vincent is really doing this to save the children. Also, we get the best weapon in the game. See if you can spot it. For this level I actually do enjoy it quite a bit. It's cramped but also feels pretty open. Nothing really to complain much about the level design.

Zain fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 21, 2017

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

:emo: Update Where everything that loves me gets hurt :emo:

This one is going to be a more cutscene heavy update. It goes into the "relationship" of Vincent and Lucrecia, if you can call it that. I want to say close to 15 minutes worth of cutscenes for this one update and trust me they get longer too! Not every update but there's some that are like 20+ minutes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lucrecia is the worst.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Lucrecia is the worst.

Oh their dynamic only gets more cringy and pathetic as time goes on.

Also I love how anytime you do something badass in this game it's cutscene. It's pretty depressing that they give you a rocket launcher and it's only picked up and used during the cutscene and never again will something like that occur. I'm sure being a Turk Vincent has had extensive weapons training. I don't mind that the Rocket Launcher would be limited use weapon but like seriously give us more of a choice in weapons! Weapons generally make or break games like this.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

"I'm sorry"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's the thing... You get those gloriously stupid cutscene and edgelord dialogue but the actual gameplay consists of running around grey streets and wharehouses and nondescript hallways. It's like they figured the FF7 title will sell the game on its own and just went :effort:

• Locked thread