Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ICR
Dec 31, 2008

So, I am so sorry to put this in the air but our new global nightmare has begun.

Smackdown has been poached and nobody is left.

Except for cool dudes AJ and Nakamura. And I am having a nightmare.

I am having a nightmare because JBL is probably going to be forced to wrestle now with this limited roster and he will probably be put into the next title match.

He will also probably bully AJ and Nakamura so hard that they quit WWE and wrestling forever.

Im having some dark thoughts after Raw tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Dudes just got some big veins. Don't vein shame because your veins don't stack up. She chose Jinder because of his big, massive, long veins.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

And I guess nobody is feuding for the Universal Title. It's a 11:17PM in gods country right now and I just remembered there is a Universal Title on Raw.

Braun segment ruled and almost saved the entire show but yeah, not having a single person in the hunt for the main title is kinda messed up.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

drat, with saxton being traded, we were so close to the 5-man announcer table.

God drat it JBL.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Daniel Bryan: Raw looked pretty solid yesterday but we need a home run. We really nee...

Shane: Stop right there. I already traded Alexa for Tamina today. We got this. POUND IT BOYYY!!

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I want to see heel Apollo Crews. His heel gimmick will be he smiles a lot while saying mean things.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Tonight's Smackdown Live thread will just be called sdliv as there's no point in putting in any effort into the show.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Pretty sure Styles was in the building to play Madden with Seth Rollins backstage.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Xenoletum posted:

i remember everyone was like this when the draft happened and then smackdown became good so smackdown is still going to be good just with different stories

I want to believe. Been watching X-Files all day to put me in that headspace. Can't tell if it's working though. Jeez o petes, how did the Smoking Man not die immediately from lung cancer?

Anyway, storylines are what can help my optimism. I love AJ and Nakamura and would love a call up for Almas. I would really like to see No Way Jose come up too--I think he is fun.

We will see though. AJ and Nakamura can keep me entertained all year even if it was just them.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

So two things:

1) Are we just supposed to forget the Universal Title exists? It's kinda weird to not have any feud for it right now, even with the shakeup.

2) I am still a firm believer in the Finn heel turn. Just something about his presence with his entrance, his mannerisms at times, his facial expressions. That dude is ready for a dark turn.

However, it still feels like there's a lot of ambiguity here. It's kind of fun to watch him and just say, "Man, I wonder if he is going to turn today. Or maybe later. Or maybe he won't."

Is this dude turning or what though? He is good times.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I hear ya on the Finn stuff. Dude is super over and I'm happy the fans are receptive to him. Those mannerisms just really throw me off. Then again, he could just have a chip on his shoulder.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Ok. I am 100% certain Rob Gronkowski is Mojo's boyfriend.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I think the part that could piss me off is IF Vince sees this and says: "Of course he got concussed. He is small in comparison to these superstar athletes" and then doesn't push him to the moon like he deserves because he is a nice, good person.

Doubt that would actually happen but we are talking :vince: over here.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

So Smackdown was good. They win. Raw was awful. Everything will remain the same.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Trouble for Ramp Snake it seems:

quote:

This past Saturday a relatively small but enthusiastic home town crowd greeted WWE Champion Randy Orton for a brief Q&A at Wizard World St. Louis. Fans were eager to engage with the champion who was riding the momentum of his recent Wrestlemania victory over Bray Wyatt.

As expected Wrestlemania was a hot topic of discussion. When asked about his experience at Wrestlemania 33, Orton did not shy away from his true feelings. While pleased with his match against Wyatt, Orton made it evident that he loathed his entrance down the long digital snake ridden video ramp to the ring. Orton remarked to the all-ages crowd that “The snake looked like giant sperm.” He then proceeded to answer follow up questions explaining that he has no say whatsoever in his Wrestlemania entrances. Orton stated that he would love to have an elaborate entrance like Triple H had at this years event but he is often “screwed out of entrances.”

His disdain of the video snake was echoed later in the panel as a response to the question of a young boy no older than ten. The child asked Orton what his favorite Pay Per View is. Orton replied that he loves the big four but even Wrestlemania can have it’s negative side such as having to “ride a giant sperm” down the ramp. The child was clearly perplexed probably having never heard the word “sperm” before the panel. It was a hilarious if slightly polarizing moment. As WWE Champion, Orton is effectively an ambassador for the PG company. One can’t help but wonder if the higher ups would have found his word choice uncouth for an audience with a high percentage of kids.

Other topics discussed during the short panel included the revelation that Stephanie McMahon was behind his Apex Predator moniker, that he has no interest in working another program with Brock Lesnar, and if he could have his choice of a former WWE wrestler to return to the company he would pick the original Tough Enough winner Maven. That’s right. Of all the talents to have left WWE during Orton’s tenure he would like to have Maven back. Maybe there is a reason he doesn’t get much say in things.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Proof right there that Maven was always good. Hotshot the title to Maven immediately.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Awesome notes. But let me make sure I read this right: You peaced on the Nakamura Vs Ziggler match? Yikes.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Just give Randy a baller rear end HHH entrance already. Let him ride in on a giant animatronic cobra with a suit of armor on with the head of his opponent on a pike with GWAR playing in the background.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I wonder what Sami Zayn does for fun.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

rovert posted:

I am hearing Almas & No Way Jose are pegged to go to the main roster soon.

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

So if Roman showed up on Smackdown, stormed down to the commentators desk with a purpose and then dragged JBL to the ring to hit his moves over and over again for 15 minutes, would that make him over and the crowd would finally embrace the DOG OF BIG??

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Stone Cold tells it like it is: Seth Rollins is a bad.

quote:

‘Stone Cold’ Steve Austin recently reviewed all of the matches at Wrestlemania 33 on his podcast: The Steve Austin Show. In his review of the match between Seth Rollins and Triple H, the ‘Texas Rattlesnake’ had some interesting comments about Seth.

Austin argues that Seth Rollins’ character is not very well-defined. He says that he still doesn’t understand exactly who he is as a character:

“Who is Seth Rollins? When you say Seth Rollins, or you say Seth ‘Freakin’ Rollins, I still don’t have a sense of what or who this guy is. That rests on Seth Rollins’ shoulder as an individual to define or create that, as well as the WWE. I still don’t get a sense of what kind of personality he is. He’s not electrifying like The Rock, he’s not anti-authority like Stone Cold, or like The Deadman, so OK, than what is he?”

He continued, saying that he needs to look at someone like Bret Hart who doesn’t have a huge personality but was able to properly define his character as ‘The Hitman’:

“Look at another guy who, if I dare say, was a little introverted but obviously had an ego in Bret ‘The Hitman’ Hart. Not a larger-than-life personality, but the genuineness of his character was he was ‘The Hitman’ and he was a badass – the ‘Excellence of Execution,’ the best there is, was, and ever will be. Bret wasn’t an over the top guy, he was a pretty humble and quiet individual outside the ring. In many regards, he was somewhat like Seth – though, in many regards, Bret is an entirely different animal – but there is a case of a guy who was not a showy kind of guy, but rather conservative, and had a highly-defined, a badass gimmick, a world-class worker. Seth needs to work on this.”

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

From another forum. Owns. FACE THE FACTS.

Person A

quote:

It looked like that forearm Jinder gave Finn was gonna be stiff either way and sometimes that's just they way they want it. Finn ducked and turned his head causing him to take more of the impact you can clearly see Jinder made contact with his forearm not the elbow. To me Finn's concussion is more of a signal he belongs in 205 Live than Jinder is an unsafe worker.

Person B

quote:

How does finn being smaller have an effect on if he got concussed or not? Surely the size of a person doesnt matter, a quick punch or in this case an elbow/forearm on the side of the jaw which causes the recipients head to spin round will likely have the same affect on most people, no matter their size.

Person A

quote:

Too short and too light to take hard/stiff bumps from larger opponents and also to give them Jinder was trying to sell some of Finns moves in that match but Finn is shorter so his kicks don't connect as well.

Plus his finishing move is off the top rope which to me is a clear sign of a Cruiserweight. When the did list Finns weight in the past they billed him at 190 and his billed height is 5"11" I think that is giving him at least an inch and 15 lbs or so. I'd like to see he stand next to Neville. Who they bill at 5 "8" and 194.

Person B

quote:

Wait so a finisher off the top makes you a cruiserweight now? I wanna see Vader as cruiserweight champ

Person A

quote:

Yes, if it's coming from someone who is the size of a Cruiserweight and Vader Bomb was off the middle rope.

Send all the smalls to 205 Live to die. Including AJ Styles.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

If he just get those veins going down his 6 pack, I'd say he is set to take any bump. Dude needs to get in better shape clearly.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

So sorry about the number of posts digressing from one topic to another, but does anybody else feel like a lot of finishers are getting really boring or less creative?

How many forearm finishers currently exist in the roster?

I was really obsessed with stuff like the Stunner, Rock Bottom, Tombstone, Pedigree from the 90s and even in today's world, the RKO, Curb Stomp (rip), Muscle Buster, F5, etc. they're pretty one of a kind moves.

At this point, I feel like the loving Attitude Adjustment is a creative move now.

Did anything change in the WWE within the past couple years backstage where they said, "We need to simplify the finishers our superstars are doing."

Braun does a Powerslam. Luke Harper does a clothesline. Rowan does a spin kick. Mojo, Aries, AJ have a forearm (they all do it well at least). I think Cass and Gallows both do a big boot as their finisher. Nia does a Samoan Drop as her finisher. Roman spears. Sasha does a deep chin lock. Remember when Roode came to NXT and his first finisher was a pump handle slam? Yeah, that was it.

I'm sure I can get used to these over time and they're cool I guess but I just wonder if the days of that really creative finisher are over or there's a new state of mind in pro wrestling. Apologies on the stupid subject, but curious on some opinions.

PS: I'm the guy who loves THE POUNCE, Elijah Express, Joe's Uranage and Kinshasa amongst others too.

ICR fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 13, 2017

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Roman does the spear because he can't lift anyone for real power moves.

Jack Gallagher does a running drop kick, but that's appropriate for his gimmick.

See I actually really came around on Gallagher's drop kick. Cool set up move to it and really, nobody else is doing this speed running drop kick.

I loved the Steiner Recliner. TOPPEST move ever. Sure, it's just a camel clutch but Steiner had this awesome way of applying it that made it feel like much more than just a camel clutch. His belly-to-belly suplex set up move ruled too.

If Baron took the Deep Six as a finisher, I could get behind it. I do like End of Days though. I even like Sister Abigail although it's not really any different than End of Days. Bray just adds some character to it is all.

I love Sami's Blue Thunder Bomb. His little Rally call/round up with his finger when he lands the move makes it feel really bad rear end to me. That could be his finisher and I'd be down.

I think one of the things that really got me to think about this more was re-watching Smackdown, the A-show, and seeing Tye do his finisher that AJ uses every single match as a regular move. Then when I found out Mojo's finisher is a running forearm I thought: "Why isn't this former football player doing THE POOOOOOUUUNNNNCEEEE!!!!"

Finishing moves rock. One of the best parts of wrestling. It's what makes the video games such a blast to me.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Agreed. Then everybody kicks out of it anyway until they're 3 concussions in.

"The first two times, I could kick out. I couldn't feel anything in my face and I was seeing triple out there but I was coherent. The third death plex though, I was done."

"Sir, he actually did his finisher to you 7 times."

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

All I can say is lol forever at the butchering of Bray-chan. Here's a guy they spend big bucks on for his entrance and other set pieces, give ample screen time to, has a big personality and is FULLY IMMERSED in his character. Oh and his lineage dates back to his dad in the WWE.

Job this motherfucker out.

Remember when they paired up Roman and Bray right before he got injured and it was a very fun match and the face turn tease was very cool?

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Reigns vs Bork. In the motherland...I live 10 minutes away from the Superdome...

So tempted by location. Not tempted by the main event. God drat you WWE. I'm literally going to pull my hair out trying to figure out if I should go or not.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

What's Brays wins and losses record right now?i read last night that Mojo Rawley is 101-12 including house shows and dark matches.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Give Roman the Elijah Express as a finisher.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Maybe Roman does a new version of Elijah Express where rather than remove the knee pads, he removes the vest, and charges full speed at his opponent, slapping them with his gelatinous flab at turbulent force.

Roman wins again.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

One day we will all hopefully agree that everything, yes everything, was always bad.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Strawberry Panda posted:

I never really liked Mauro's announcing style but he did make a Baroness pun once about Baron Corbin so he's super cool.

I also tune out all the announcers all the time because I'm either watching the match or reading a book.

Well. Vince probably told him to talk about Baroness so it wasn't Mauro. He is a bad.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

quote:

WWE demands its play-by-play announcers to ask questions and convey what wrestlers might be thinking. This helps bring motive to the wrestlers' actions and entices audiences to wonder what might happen next. The type of dive or submission hold might not be as pertinent as why the move is being applied, or when.

Also, the play-by-play man is working with former in-ring talents on color commentary. The former wrestlers should be the experts.

Ranallo should have asked JBL what a wrestler was doing. He could have pressed David Otunga for why something was or wasn't happening. He failed to set up the former wrestlers enough to explain wrestling psychology.

That way of play-by-play was bad for WWE business. So were his many mistakes.

Now maybe I'm wrong here but I've watched a lot of Botchamania and I think every commentator has been showcased 5-6 times at minimum making bonehead calls on the mic.

But no worries, Mauro should have talked to legends JBL and Otunga about wrestling because he didn't do that.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

shiksa posted:

Vince does not know what baroness is I can guarantee that to you

I'm picturing HHH getting giddy and telling Vince all about Motörhead and why they rock.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Simon Gotch is a national treasure lol forever.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Cubone posted:

Ok I'm done

Rofl. This rocks hahahah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Speaking of the 205:

quote:

205 Live airs every week after Smackdown Live and is a platform for the WWE Cruiserweight division to shine. The show premiered in late November of 2016 and the members of the show have put on some solid matches since the brands inception.

The problem is, it doesn’t seem like many fans are sticking around after Smackdown Live to watch the show.

According to Dave Meltzer on Wrestling Observer Radio, 205 Live has been performing very poorly on the WWE Network. The show is apparently being beaten (numbers wise) on a weekly basis by NXT, a show that is taped. It appears that a large chunk of fans aren’t changing the channel after Smackdown Live to follow along. This really is a shame considering the 205 Live roster is consistently putting on solid matches that are being missed by a large majority of WWE fans.

There have been some mixed responses regarding the Smackdown Live crowds in person and 205 Live. In some cases, we have heard that a solid chunk of the crowd sticks around to watch 205 Live after Smackdown. In other arenas, there are a ton of visible empty seats and a lot of fans leave. Meltzer noted that taping the show before Smackdown Live begins could help from a crowd reaction standpoint.

This doesn’t mean that the show is getting cancelled anytime soon, it just signifies that the show isn’t performing as well as expected.

• Locked thread