Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I'm replaying this game for a third time in a year after recently buying it for the Switch after playing it on PC before.

Somehow the game seems harder-- like maybe its the Switch's Pro controller or something but I feel like I'm 1ms off on reaction or something. Oh well. Still enjoyable even if I am dying way more, esp to that fukken bee boss and that crappy corpse run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Try handheld. I could feel the lag with wireless controllers whenever I tried to play it on the tv. Same for Celeste.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Goodpancakes posted:

The bosses that I remember being super annoying were: Traitor King, Nosk until I learned to cheese him, and, I think he was called, the broken vessel?

Nosk is funny to me because on my first playthrough I only found it after I got like every upgrade in the game so I beat it first try without having to learn mechanics. Second playthrough I oneshot more or less every boss but died like 10 times to nosk because I got there really early and had to figure it out with like no health or nail upgrades.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

what is a randomiser

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Cactus posted:

what is a randomiser

Broadly speaking: Changes where upgrades and collectibles are throughout the world to make the experience fresh. I don't know what Hollow Knight's does in particular.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
It's pretty configurable. You can set it so that it basically just changes major abilities, include things like everything you'd normally pick up in the game, or really turn the game into a junk pit and include maps and grubs in the randomization pool. The same mod can also change where entrances lead at the map level, or even at the room level if you're a true masochist.

You pretty much have to co run it with a warp mod because otherwise taking certain benches can soft lock you (let alone falling down certain pits that double jump lets you into but not out of before getting the mantis claw).

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, I haven't used a randomizer yet but I would have thought that the hallmark of a good one is not creating unwinnable sequences. If that means certain movement skills must come early then so be it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

People interested in randomizers of metroidvanias might be interested in the Super Metroid and Link to the Past Crossover Randomizer

Basically you upload ROM files for Super Metroid and Link to the Past and it generates a custom ROM that combines both games into a single randomized experience. You start off in Super Metroid and can cross into Link to the Past and vice-versa via in-game portals, and items are randomly spread across both games. The randomization is also guaranteed to create an experience that can be completed (killing Ganon and Mother Brain) without cheating

https://samus.link/

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really can’t fathom how bored you’d have to be to have more fun playing through two broken video games stitched together than to just play one good, normal video game

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Dead Cells, basically has a "randomiser" built in as a main game mechanic.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

They're two very good games, and being randomized means getting to experience them together in a new way :shrug:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Super Metroid and Link to the Past feel as different to me as Pilot Wings and Twisted Metal. Eating them together is like Scrambled Eggs and Spaghetti... get your poo poo together!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So don't use the randomizer, why are you getting so worked up over this

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Lmao no one is getting worked up in the Hollow Knight thread over ROM hacks, settle down Beavis

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

The only situations I've found it possible to soft lock are when you get double jump before claw. The devs added some platforms to a couple places, but they don't always work.

Would people be interested in me streaming a rando run of this? Yesterday morning it took me a little under 4 hours to complete a run with rando pool: dreamers, skills, charms, keys, geo chests, mask, vessels, ore, notches, eggs, relics, stags. It'd be my first time streaming anything though.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Lmao no one is getting worked up in the Hollow Knight thread over ROM hacks, settle down Beavis

you're definitely the one being the dick in this situation

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Meatbag Esq. posted:

The only situations I've found it possible to soft lock are when you get double jump before claw. The devs added some platforms to a couple places, but they don't always work.

Well that's not true anymore. Holy poo poo I just had a disaster seed. Oh well, learned a new item location and progression paths before I gave up.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

No one was being a dick. Random remixes of classic games are very interesting but in terms of what it's like to play them, they're not for everyone. It's a valid view to think it's cool and it's also a valid view to think it's a waste of time.

Based on which side of the debate you fall on you either play the thing or you don't. And it doesn't matter what anyone else does, as long as you're happy with what you did, because it's just a loving computer game and in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I feel like randomizers particularly make sense as a branch or offshoot of the speed run community. They seem particularly geared towards players who are already spending time thinking about planning routes through games for efficiency, breaking down games into discrete segments, doing things out of order if it's useful, etc.

I dunno, it helped me understand why someone would be interested in that in games where it could seem weird otherwise.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I decided to pick this back after almost two years. I know I have completed the Trial of the fool last time, As far as I know, I have every mobile upgrade, I picked up the swim in acid upgrade well after finishing all the map and boss areas where it really would've been easier. I'm at 1205 essence, at 89% completion, and the old lady wants me to reach 1500 essence. I have absolutely no idea what to do next.

As far as i remember, Last i played there was no boss in the Bee area. So, needing a little help here on what to do next.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
HK is the first game I've ever thought about replaying with a randomizer. Previously it was never really on my radar, but Hallownest is such a marvelously compelling place to spend time in, and the exploration aspect of the game is so huge, that I can see how randomizing boss and item locations might kindle some of the same sense of wonder that the first playthrough did, and for a game this good that sounds worthwhile.

But I also want to do another regular replay first and I don't know when I'll get around to that. So that's all in my future somewhere, hopefully. Maybe. I kinda expect Silksong will be out before then and this plan will end up falling by the wayside.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Fargin Icehole posted:

I decided to pick this back after almost two years. I know I have completed the Trial of the fool last time, As far as I know, I have every mobile upgrade, I picked up the swim in acid upgrade well after finishing all the map and boss areas where it really would've been easier. I'm at 1205 essence, at 89% completion, and the old lady wants me to reach 1500 essence. I have absolutely no idea what to do next.
In addition to the Warrior Dreams, some normal bosses will have a Dream Nail-able ghost fight in their arena after you've defeated them.

Check out Broken Vessel (boss before acquiring double jump) and Soul Master's (dude at the top of the Soul Sanctum in the City) arenas

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Martman posted:

In addition to the Warrior Dreams, some normal bosses will have a Dream Nail-able ghost fight in their arena after you've defeated them.

Check out Broken Vessel (boss before acquiring double jump) and Soul Master's (dude at the top of the Soul Sanctum in the City) arenas

Oh, thanks, i just remembered i tried the Broken Vessel one just after getting the dram nail and lost horribly. It's as if his animations are 50% faster in that fight.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fargin Icehole posted:

Oh, thanks, i just remembered i tried the Broken Vessel one just after getting the dram nail and lost horribly. It's as if his animations are 50% faster in that fight.

equip Defender's Crest for easy mode

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Also, losing to the dream bosses don't count as dying so you can equip the fragile charms and they won't break.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Okay thanks i beat both the vessel and tyrant, I got just enough points to make it to the white palace, and so far I've been doing most of the puzzles great, die near the end, and get progressively worse as my patience wears thin. I'm at the third puzzle and i did something stupid. I'm Gonna try it again in a bit.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Do you have the hiveblood charm?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cactus posted:

No one was being a dick.

Looking down on people for liking different things than you is dickish. It's the difference between "I don't think that I would enjoy that" and "lol you must be incredibly bored to play such a broken experience, get your poo poo together"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Hiveblood is garbage, use Grubsong and Deep Focus

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Hwurmp posted:

Hiveblood is garbage, use Grubsong and Deep Focus

I have Hiveblood and Grubsong, but not Deep Focus. I'll give those a shot. Thanks.

EDIT: Alright, finished, I have the Kingsoul now, the description was a little vague and it's been awhile since i played, so i looked up where to go next.

EDIT: Alrighty then. I'm at 91% Completion, with a Void Heart. Any tips on the final boss? That Phase 2 fire pillar attack really did a number on me

EDIT EDIT: Alright, man, the Radiance has a fair bit to keep track of. I'll get this fucker.

Do you get the rest of the DLC stuff after completing the story? Because i have yet to encounter the Grimm Troupe or anything else that's new

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 27, 2020

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

You can access them at any time once you find how to activate them in the world. I'd recommend just looking up how to start the content, since some of the ways can be obtuse.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I've been replaying on PC after playing on Switch and not managing to finish the harder content (didn't get the best end, haven't even dipped a toe into Godhome) and I'm surprised at just how much I've been enjoying playing it through again. It's the perfect mix of being familiar enough with the general layout of the place and the way enemies behave to feel confident exploring, but having forgotten enough that it's still really cool rediscovering charms and upgrades and other little extra areas.

I feel like I speak the game's language better in terms of reading where secrets are, I've definitely been discovering stuff I didn't find on my first playthrough. I met the moss prophet and got suddenly dumped into Deepnest, but also instead of going oh gently caress what is this horrible place I could go "I know if I get through this horrible place far enough in this direction I'll find the stag station out" and along the way I rediscovered weaversong. Also I feel like I must have been unbelievably unobservant the first time through but I actually never noticed the little paper trails Cornifer leaves, I always just listened for his humming and hoped to stumble into him. That would have made me feel better exploring new areas the first time around, but it's still really handy now since I absolutely do not remember where he is in any of these places.

Anyway I just beat the mantis lords and I'm feeling pretty good about myself. This is such a good game.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I used to play the hell out of Super Metroid and could reliably hit all the speed running tricks but I bought it first on the Switch and was trouble doing the basic things like hopping off spikes. I bought a new PC a couple days ago and I can hope off spikes for days straight so there's definitely some kind of visual/input lag there that makes it a lot harder to do. I got further over 3 hours than I did over the first two nights

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Aw beans, I was avoiding the dreamers because I wanted to keep the crossroads uninfected for as long as possible but I didn't realise killing the broken vessel does it as well!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I have had an intense love/hate relationship with Hollow Knight while playing it while dealing with stuff like Trial of the Fool, White Palace and Radiance, I constantly got very frustrated with them, but after smashing my head against Nightmare King Grimm for an entire night, thinking "there's no way I can possibly beat this guy, this is bullshit" at the start, slowly learning the patterns more and more and finally getting it, I think uh.

I think this game might be brilliant. And I think this realization might be really bad for me, because I think it might make me want to go for all achievements. :gonk:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

do iiiit

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

MJeff posted:

I have had an intense love/hate relationship with Hollow Knight while playing it while dealing with stuff like Trial of the Fool, White Palace and Radiance, I constantly got very frustrated with them, but after smashing my head against Nightmare King Grimm for an entire night, thinking "there's no way I can possibly beat this guy, this is bullshit" at the start, slowly learning the patterns more and more and finally getting it, I think uh.

I think this game might be brilliant. And I think this realization might be really bad for me, because I think it might make me want to go for all achievements. :gonk:

LMAO ok next do Bloodborne

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Can you get it on an emulator yet?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Bust Rodd posted:

I dunno. Does it have cute bugs in it?