Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So I'm gettin' started on Godmaster stuff. How hard exactly are endings 4 and 5 to unlock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

MJeff posted:

So I'm gettin' started on Godmaster stuff. How hard exactly are endings 4 and 5 to unlock?

It's, uhh, it's fairly difficult. You have to beat a boss rush consisting of almost every boss in the game, some of which have been buffed pretty significantly. If you die you have to start over from the beginning.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I can't even concieve of how thats possible. Different bosses have different charm requirements and I take it there's no way to change your charms once you 've started?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Cactus posted:

I can't even concieve of how thats possible. Different bosses have different charm requirements and I take it there's no way to change your charms once you 've started?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FarUc_Yh_YY

Anything is possible if you believe....

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Cactus posted:

You get a few chances during Pantheon runs to change your charms around. That said I've been able to make it through Pantheon 5 with the same charm loadout the whole way (Unbreakable Strength, Mark of Pride, Soul Catcher, Shaman Stone)

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I mean, of course it's possible and of course there are a million youtube videos of people doing it in five minutes flat without getting hit using only one foot on the controller. I just can't imagine it and will never do it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Cactus posted:

I mean, of course it's possible and of course there are a million youtube videos of people doing it in five minutes flat without getting hit using only one foot on the controller. I just can't imagine it and will never do it.

There are also breaks where you can heal and grab extra lifeblood pods. I mean it’s still too hard for me to even try but it’s not quite as hard as that description

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Organza Quiz posted:

Anybody on our forums actually done this?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Organza Quiz posted:

Man, the game's sure had a lot of poo poo added to it since I played it. I understand that the crimson troupe is DLC, but there where a lot of bosses in there that I didn't recognize. Interesting that the devs have been putting so much combat challenges in, that's usually not the focus of metroidvanias. What's the story on the dude in the mask watching all the fights (and his fate?) (and that ending with hornet??)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

Anybody on our forums actually done this?
I've beaten Pantheon of Hallownest with each binding separately, not all together. You still get the Weathered Mask for that, the only thing you get specifically for "all bindings at once" is that its entrance gets a special glowy effect just like the others.

As I understand it, the game was patched around... a year ago? to fix an issue where Nail Art damage wasn't affected by the Nail Binding. I think a lot of people who did the "all-bindings" run were using that to make it way more feasible, and it being patched out really discourages me from trying.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Is Sharp Shadow affected by the Nail binding?

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Serephina posted:

Man, the game's sure had a lot of poo poo added to it since I played it. I understand that the crimson troupe is DLC, but there where a lot of bosses in there that I didn't recognize. Interesting that the devs have been putting so much combat challenges in, that's usually not the focus of metroidvanias. What's the story on the dude in the mask watching all the fights (and his fate?) (and that ending with hornet??)

That's the titular Godmaster of the DLC. The entire scenario is basically set in her mindscape, the way the White Palace is for the King. She's trying to connect to the various gods of the kingdom, which you somewhat unwittingly assist with via beating up the various bosses in the Trials. At the very end you go up against the Radiance in its purest form, and as with the normal ending it ends up with the Void overflowing and eating her, which apparently takes the rest of the mindscape with it. The result of this is that the Void starts overflowing out of the Godmaster's physical body, and either explodes massively in the normal ending or is sucked into the Fragile Flower and dissipates if you gave her one before the trial. The final scene with Hornet appears to be the Hollow Knight wandering out of the Black Egg Temple, since you killed the Radiance without needing to go through him first.

kvx687 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 3, 2020

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

MJeff posted:

Is Sharp Shadow affected by the Nail binding?
According to https://hollowknight.fandom.com/wiki/Pantheons it is not! Along with Thorns of Agony, Dreamshield, and maybe others? I dunno.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The coolest thing about Godmaster is the new fights, especially with the various nail masters.

But there's simply no way that I'm going to ever get either of those 2 final endings. Simply not worth it, watching a youtube video is good enough

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

kvx687 posted:

That's the titular Godmaster of the DLC. The entire scenario is basically set in her mindscape, the way the White Palace is for the King. She's trying to connect to the various gods of the kingdom, which you somewhat unwittingly assist with via beating up the various bosses in the Trials. At the very end you go up against the Radiance in its purest form, and as with the normal ending it ends up with the Void overflowing and eating her, which apparently takes the rest of the mindscape with it. The result of this is that the Void starts overflowing out of the Godmaster's physical body, and either explodes massively in the normal ending or is sucked into the Fragile Flower and dissipates if you gave her one before the trial. The final scene with Hornet appears to be the Hollow Knight wandering out of the Black Egg Temple, since you killed the Radiance without needing to go through him first.

Cool thanks! I just looked it up, apparently that's all free dlc? Wow. I used the dream nail but everything else is new. Is it worth creating a new save (my old one is long gone) to see grim/troupe/godmaster content, or are they aimed more at masochists? For the record I got the radiant ending, but could never finish the Fool's arena.

edit: Spoilers

Serephina fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 3, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Serephina posted:

Cool thanks! I just looked it up, apparently that's all free dlc? Wow. I used the dream nail but everything else is new. Is it worth creating a new save (my old one is long gone) to see grim/troupe/godmaster content, or are they aimed more at masochists? For the record I got the radiant ending, but could never finish the Fool's arena.

Godmaster is the only one that lives off in the masochism zone, all of that stuff is kind of weirdly not part of the main game. The other DLC are well-integrated and feel normal as part of a playthrough. I wouldn't create a new save just for that little bit of content unless you were really hankering for another playthrough

One of the best boss fights in the game is part of the Troupe, but it's optional and contingent on a choice that you make. But you can also unlock that fight in Godhome, along with other fights that are exclusive to Godhome, so it's nothing to worry about

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Was it really necessary to describe the DLC's ending without spoiler tags?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I have successfully beaten Hollow Knight by seeing* the fourth and fifth ending.

*not necessarily playing

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I broke down and watched some of the plays of Silksong from previews and such so far posted places.

Man, I can't wait.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Has there been any news this year? Silksong is already GOTY 2020 in my headcannon.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It’s GOTD actually, maybe GOTC.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

John DiFool posted:

Has there been any news this year? Silksong is already GOTY 2020 in my headcannon.

Don't think there's been a peep since that trailer.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

Don't think there's been a peep since that trailer.

Is it just the two games I'm interested in enough to actually follow (this and Cyberpunk) that are being mad stingy with updates or is this a trend in general across the industry? Have hyped-up games like No Man's Sky, Mass Effect Andromeda, Anthem etc that bombed and were mocked into oblivion resulted in studios becoming hype-shy to the point of taking it too much in the other direction and showing us next to nothing for ages?

I just wish if they're going to do it like that companies would wait untill the game was two or three months out from release before first announcing, and then release the same amount of stuff over those two or three months instead of stretching those same crumbs over two or three or more years. There's a fine line between excitement during the buildup and frustration at not knowing when it's coming for long stretches of time and having hardly anything to get excited about during the wait.

I want them to take as long as they need, of course, but at this point I'm really hoping they drop a trailer out of the blue with a release date of "in a week" as a nice surprise when it's finally ready. Or at least, y'know, give us something from time to time if it's still gonna be a while.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
How is this the first I've heard of Silksong?! What the hell thread, what the gently caress Steam, you have all failed me.

Do they accept preorders? Just take my money already geez.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Ahaha that's really funny and I wish I was you.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm told that Hollow Knight: Silksong and Deltarune will both eventually come out but frankly I don't believe it.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cactus posted:

Is it just the two games I'm interested in enough to actually follow (this and Cyberpunk) that are being mad stingy with updates or is this a trend in general across the industry? Have hyped-up games like No Man's Sky, Mass Effect Andromeda, Anthem etc that bombed and were mocked into oblivion resulted in studios becoming hype-shy to the point of taking it too much in the other direction and showing us next to nothing for ages?

I just wish if they're going to do it like that companies would wait untill the game was two or three months out from release before first announcing, and then release the same amount of stuff over those two or three months instead of stretching those same crumbs over two or three or more years. There's a fine line between excitement during the buildup and frustration at not knowing when it's coming for long stretches of time and having hardly anything to get excited about during the wait.

I want them to take as long as they need, of course, but at this point I'm really hoping they drop a trailer out of the blue with a release date of "in a week" as a nice surprise when it's finally ready. Or at least, y'know, give us something from time to time if it's still gonna be a while.
Part of this might be that both those games are self-published, and therefore their primary concern is going to be making the game good, while with a separate publisher they'd have a boss pushing them to release info more consistently; Silksong especially, since the team is (presumably) as tiny as Hollow Knight's was.

I cope by following Hollow Knight fan artists on twitter who will obsess over any character no matter how slight.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Well at least this/the Silksong thread is alright, I usually cope by reading/occcasionally shitposting in the threads, but have you seen the Cyberpunk thread the last day or so?
(Don't go see the Cyberpunk thread lol. Not even for morbid curiosity)

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
They probably announced silksong when they did because if they hadn't, people would be accusing them of going back on their hornet dlc promise by now.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mymla posted:

They probably announced silksong when they did because if they hadn't, people would be accusing them of going back on their hornet dlc promise by now.

Look, I'm extremely excited for Silksong and 100% support Team Cherry in the choices that led them to this point and think Hollow Knight is.......maybe the best content-for-value game, ever? Maybe second to Orange Box, and even that's a hard maybe.

But they absolutely went back on those DLC promises.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

MJeff posted:

Look, I'm extremely excited for Silksong and 100% support Team Cherry in the choices that led them to this point and think Hollow Knight is.......maybe the best content-for-value game, ever? Maybe second to Orange Box, and even that's a hard maybe.

No, they chose to turn the dlc into a full sequel. That's like, the opposite, of going back on promises.
Going forward on promises.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Just throw out a screenshot or two every now and then though. Something Anything. Tease a charm that is in the game, or a new character or gameplay mechanic.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mymla posted:

No, they chose to turn the dlc into a full sequel. That's like, the opposite, of going back on promises.
Going forward on promises.

I will only be able to agree with this once the game is actually out.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
They showed Silksong gameplay at the Nintendo booth at last year's E3, maybe they'll have more this year. Now to read the news while taking a big sip of water...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

No E3 this year.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Cartoon Man posted:

No E3 this year.

:thejoke:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

MJeff posted:

I'll push back on this and just say that Shovel Knight is probably in contention here. If you backed at the right time you've essentially gotten 4 complete video games for the price of 1.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

MJeff posted:

Sometimes people give out games for free

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I've played like 9000 games of hearthstone and paid 0 money for it, but I still don't think that's very good value for money because the game isn't very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I always wondered why people struggle so much with Markoth.