Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I like the part where he is better at this game than I will ever be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

As someone who barely beat the Radiance like once, when I see anything from Godhome I am like "ok yeah, no loving thanks"

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

jeeves posted:

As someone who barely beat the Radiance like once, when I see anything from Godhome I am like "ok yeah, no loving thanks"

That's not Godhome, it's a mod someone made

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah, any of the videos from that guy that end in "kind of crazy" are ones where he's modded out the boss to be more difficult, it's his whole shtick

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lol I too thought that was just the normal Godhome version, having not really done any of that content

I like how it just gets progressively more insane; homing spears spawning almost on top of you, then all of the platforms have spikes on them, then the platforms start disappearing until there's just 1 left with no floor, then no surfaces at all and you have to keep yourself up by hit-bouncing the spike walls over and over

Here's his version of Nightmare King Grimm. It starts out pretty crazy and rumps up to eventually spawning a second copy of the boss lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFT0a0myvZA

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You could be a fighter pilot with that twitch reaction time

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
People respond to bosses in weird ways. I beat False Knight on my first go and Hornet on my second. It took me like 5 goes each on Nosk and Marmu.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Watching that NKG had me thinking that ya, I could learn this but it would take 6 months and destroy my wrists. And then the 2nd NKG appeared and I was like, nope. Never gonna happen.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I like this one.

Path of pain but against one hypermodded kingsmoulds at the end.

This appears likely to have been the originally planned fight at the end of the path. Can you imagine?!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 15, 2020

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

I like this one.

Path of pain but against one hypermodded kingsmoulds at the end.

This appears likely to have been the originally planned fight at the end of the path. Can you imagine?!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

just did the 5-hour speed run achievement, after dying to the hollow knight about 20 times in a row. I'm definitely not ready for steel soul but I'm going to start diving into those anyway

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

And here I was proud of myself for beating the final boss with one HP left, frantically dodging lasers and taking one last diving swing at it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Those modded boss fights just show how loving good the game actually is. That you can take enemy mechanics, crank them up to 11, and have the game still be playable because the core of how combat / movement / platforming works is pretty great.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

And here I was proud of myself for beating the final boss with one HP left, frantically dodging lasers and taking one last diving swing at it.

That's exactly how your first play through should go, honestly. But after 2 or 3 runs through you start getting pissed when you don't curb stomp every boss in under 20 seconds.

Also, I agree that, thematically, PV fits with POP. But hell no.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

just did the 5-hour speed run achievement, after dying to the hollow knight about 20 times in a row. I'm definitely not ready for steel soul but I'm going to start diving into those anyway

If you hit one mask just close the game. I'm a coward and that's how I beat steel soul.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

If you hit one mask just close the game. I'm a coward and that's how I beat steel soul.

I don't understand playing it on Steel while going directly against the spirit of the mode, unless you're just going for an achievement?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Nephzinho posted:

I don't understand playing it on Steel while going directly against the spirit of the mode, unless you're just going for an achievement?

Well, see, I was just going for the achievement.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

I'll push back on this and just say that Shovel Knight is probably in contention here. If you backed at the right time you've essentially gotten 4 complete video games for the price of 1.

GTAV for free right now is also a strong contender.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

Well, see, I was just going for the achievement.

I'd like to get it legitimately, but there are certain bullshit bosses that I might use that trick on.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

100%ing in Steel Soul mode was surprisingly easy to do, I even combined that with the achievement to get 100% completion in under 20 hours (I did it in about 18h). I didn't have to do any alt+f4 shenanigans, just played relatively safe and went for nail and soul art upgrades asap. I did use an online map to plan my route, I figured since I had already seen everything I wasn't spoiling anything. Hive Blood did a lot of work, too, it creates a ton of leeway if your dodging is relatively consistent but not perfect. Gathering Swarm, Fragile Heart, and Fragile Strength were also pretty core to my build. I did this despite not having played the game in over a year; there were a few surprises but nothing devastating, most of the boss patterns came back to me pretty easily.

I remember having to make a million attempts on the Trial of the Fool when I first played through the game, but this time I did it twice in a row (for the journal entries). So maybe the godhome achievements aren't really as far out of reach as I thought.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I had the same experience with Steel Soul 100% being way easier and more pleasant than expected, then when Godhome came along I noped out and figured they had hosed up and made something too obnoxiously hard. When I finally came back and went for it, I fell in love with the game all over again. If you're really into the combat, Godhome can blow you away with how well-designed almost every fight is. (there are like 2 bullshit ones so yeah)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Team Cherry are very good at designing boss fights on a 2D plane and I'm very excited to fight all the new bosses in Silksong when it eventually comes out in 2032.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

SirSamVimes posted:

Team Cherry are very good at designing boss fights on a 2D plane and I'm very excited to fight all the new bosses in Silksong when it eventually comes out in 2032.

The nice thing about the wait is I have absolute faith they’re using that time wisely

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

part of me kinda feels like it might just not be coming out anymore. there's been no news on anything for a while

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Johnny Joestar posted:

part of me kinda feels like it might just not be coming out anymore. there's been no news on anything for a while

They released some soundtrack stuff in December and the spring was largely dominated by COVID. They put out an update in March last year and the next time they talked about it was December.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

I mean it's not like they have a PR department. They're probably just busy working.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

comes out in 2032.

That's only a few months away though so we're fine.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

We're living in the era of made-too-early announcements followed by huge dearths of information for increasingly long stretches of time. It sucks.

Well, either that or lovely leaks, which also suck.

In my ideal world, a company would announce their game between 2-6 months before it's ready for release, and put out bits of info be it screenshots, trailers, gameplay videos, casting info or whatever, every week or bi-weekly leading up to release. That way audiences can hype themselves up if they so choose, or ignore the info if they want to go in completely blind and either way not feel like they've been left hanging for years and years with nothing to go on.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

If they hadn't said anything people would right now be losing their minds about the huge delay of the promised Hornet DLC

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

Soul Master grunting laughs at you

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Sometimes, when I'm bored and just loafing about I honestly do just mutter 'when's silksong' to myself.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
sometimes Silksong is what keeps me from killing myself before some cop does it for me

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I'm distracting myself from waiting for silksong with waiting for psychonauts 2

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I just wish they'd give us a timeframe, even if it's another year away. It's the not knowing anything that's the worst, not the actual length of the wait.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

fractalairduct posted:

I'm distracting myself from waiting for silksong with waiting for psychonauts 2

There’s a different sequel besides the VR game?

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

There’s a different sequel besides the VR game?

Yeah, Psychonauts 2 is a regular 3D platformer. Was supposed to come out this year but 1) Double Fine and 2) Corona so who knows now. There's footage out of the first level and I am very excited.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm distracting myself from waiting for Metroid Prime 4 by waiting for Silksong because I think Silksong has a much smaller chance of being a massive disappointment. And I'm using both of those to distract myself from waiting for Deltarune.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Keep in mind that if they didn't announce Silksong, instead of "when's Silksong" it would've been "when's Hornet DLC". Their hand was kinda forced.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Grey Prince Zote is by no means the hardest boss in the game, but I want all of you to know that if I never manage to beat the pantheons it's 100% his fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Is that the regular old Invincible Fearless Sensual Mysterious Enchanting Vigorous Diligent Overwhelming Gorgeous Passionate Terrifying Beautiful Powerful Grey Prince Zote, or the secret one with infinite Zotelings