Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Yesssss. Managed to beat Nightmare King Grimm and versions 2 to 4 of Grey Prince Zote in one day! Now all that's left is the Temple of the Black Egg. I've already accepted I can't/won't be able to do the Pantheons. Besides, after over a hundred hours it's time for a new game.

Would you guys recommend Celeste or Bloodborne? I've heard they're both quite popular for fans of this game.

bowser fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Yes, I would recommend Celeste or Bloodborne

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ha! NKG dusted! only took me...maybe twenty tries!

and the first five or six was just getting my rear end kicked until i could figure out the spacing for his attacks. the claw rush into uppercut was what got me most, the fireball follow-up kept taxing my reflexes

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

bowser posted:

Would you guys recommend Celeste or Bloodborne? I've heard they're both quite popular for fans of this game.

Bloodborne over celeste if you’re after the combat. Celeste over Bloodborne if you’re after the platforming / level exploring.

Realistically? Get both because they’re equally good.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Celeste for sure, capitalise on the 2D movement skills you've been utilising (also it just has a lovely supportive atmosphere).

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Celeste also features a masterful interweaving of story and game mechanics.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Please excuse me for this very controversial opinion, but I think that Hollow Knight likers should try both Celeste and Bloodborne.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I haven’t played Bloodborne (although I guess I should rectify that), but I played Celeste immediately after Hollow Knight and its an absolutely amazing game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Soulsbornes are very similar to Hollow Knight in overall game feel and structure, but not much in gameplay

Celeste is not very similar imo. If there's a larger than average overlap in fans, it's probably just because people willing to give one 2D indie game a shot is willing to do so for another. It's a good game but I don't think liking Hollow Knight is particularly relevant to whether you'll like it.

I'm not really aware of any games that play all that similar to Hollow Knight on a minute to minute basis. Doesn't mean they aren't out there, but I haven't played them.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm not really aware of any games that play all that similar to Hollow Knight on a minute to minute basis. Doesn't mean they aren't out there, but I haven't played them.

Hollow Knight is a Metroidvania. It's a really good one in terms of execution, but it's not revolutionary in terms of structure at all. So you've got a whole genre of similar games out there to explore, if you want.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Hollow Knight is a Metroidvania. It's a really good one in terms of execution, but it's not revolutionary in terms of structure at all.

I meant in terms of like, the actual movement and combat mechanics. Obviously the game structure isn't revolutionary, which is why I specified minute to minute gameplay

e: even then it's mostly because I tend to split hairs in action games. There's obviously plenty of platformers with swords but there's a lot of individual minor things that make hollow knight feel different from any I've played

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

RCarr posted:

I haven’t played Bloodborne (although I guess I should rectify that), but I played Celeste immediately after Hollow Knight and its an absolutely amazing game.

I didn't have a playstation then, so unlike most Souls series that i played at launch, I waited 4-5 years until playing bloodborne.

I finished a regular gameplay of it about a week ago, and as I mentioned in the bloodborne thread, I can see why most people, including developers hold the frantic combat and oppressive atmosphere in such high esteem.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Getting Celeste and Hollow Knight basically back to back set my expectations real high for the kind of indie PC cream I was gonna get on my Switch

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cheetah7071 posted:

I meant in terms of like, the actual movement and combat mechanics. Obviously the game structure isn't revolutionary, which is why I specified minute to minute gameplay

e: even then it's mostly because I tend to split hairs in action games. There's obviously plenty of platformers with swords but there's a lot of individual minor things that make hollow knight feel different from any I've played

The exact structure of Hollow Knight is a bit unique combination of elements, but the movement and combat isn't too different from a lot of the 16-bit action sidescrollers, like Duck Tails, Megaman, or Castlevania.

The closest direct comparison across the board is probably Symphony of the Night? Another Metroidvania, but one that also has some sword-swinging fast-dashing gameplay. Castlevania bosses are pretty Hollow Knight.

I mean Hollow Knight is basically Bugvania. And now we're going to get Symphony of the Hornet soon :)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

ha! NKG dusted! only took me...maybe twenty tries!

and the first five or six was just getting my rear end kicked until i could figure out the spacing for his attacks. the claw rush into uppercut was what got me most, the fireball follow-up kept taxing my reflexes

I wound up saving the shade dash for those uppercuts, the fireballs just come so fast that I couldn't reliability dodge them without those iframes

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’ve been playing Ori and the Will of the Wisps and it’s basically a Hollow Knight clone.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Invalid Validation posted:

I’ve been playing Ori and the Will of the Wisps and it’s basically a Hollow Knight clone.

Yeah they definitely drew from Hollow Knight for the sequel, and because of this it is a much better game than Blind Forest.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Good recent metroidvanias: Ori and the Blind Forest and Steamworld Dig 2.

Both are a lot easier than HK but great games.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I liked Steamworld Dig a bit, I should try 2.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The next step on the Exploration Platformer track after Hollow Knight is Rain World

Godspeed bugs and slugs

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Knorth posted:

The next step on the Exploration Platformer track after Hollow Knight is Rain World

Godspeed bugs and slugs

prepare to be enraged/disappointed, rain world is just plain bad

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ori and Blind Forest looked a bit too simplistic and the sequel looked much better. Could I just jump in to the sequel without being lost?

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Too offer some criticism of Ori: I thought the gameplay paled in comparison to Hollow Knight’s. Combat is repetitive and unsatisfying. Platforming has lots of frustrating gotchas. Save system felt like they were making up for deficiencies in gameplay.

I lost interest about two thirds through the game and just stopped playing. Never felt that way about Hollow Knight.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Ori and Blind Forest looked a bit too simplistic and the sequel looked much better. Could I just jump in to the sequel without being lost?

You can. There’s a little bit of context with characters you won’t know but it’s not vital. However if you want to ever play the first one try to do it before the sequel cause the sequel plays a LOT better.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

John DiFool posted:

Too offer some criticism of Ori: I thought the gameplay paled in comparison to Hollow Knight’s. Combat is repetitive and unsatisfying. Platforming has lots of frustrating gotchas. Save system felt like they were making up for deficiencies in gameplay.

I lost interest about two thirds through the game and just stopped playing. Never felt that way about Hollow Knight.

We're talking about the much better sequel.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Yes

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Skip blind forest, go straight to will of the wisps. Blind forest has some fun movement but everything else ranges from mediocre to downright awful and I can't recommend playing it. As was said above, Will of the wisps keeps the fun bits and replaces most of the bad stuff with "whatever hollow knight did" and it's pretty good overall. I think the story is probably OK as a standalone thing but I'm sure there's youtubes that can fill in the gaps if you find yourself confused at the plot.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

prepare to be enraged/disappointed, rain world is just plain bad

counterpoint, its actually really loving good

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I would not recommend Rain World to fans of Hollow Knight. Hollow Knight is as fair and straightforward as games get, Rain World is a misery simulator.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Play Yoku Island Express for that sweet sweet pinball metroidvania action we all need.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Oh, that feeling when you see 30 new posts in this thread and think for a fleeting moment it's Silksong news...

It's certainly not as wide of an appeal but I'd like to put in a good word for Sundered in this discussion. It's a little weird and floaty in a way that HK is crunchy and solid but flying around after getting the first movement abilities is fun as heck. It's definitely on the heap of games that would work better without procedural generation but the map is semi-static (the important rooms don't change). The art is really neat. Also you might have it for free if you've been keeping up with Epic freebies, so check that.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Sundered was fun. I found the bosses not as fun as I was hoping but your movement can become so op and crazy by the end that I'm sympathetic to the boss design being difficult.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Flimf posted:

counterpoint, its actually really loving good

Rain World is fantastic but it's almost the polar opposite of Hollow Knight in terms of gameplay. You are a tiny, weak thing and the game goes out of its way to teach you to evade or outsmart enemies rather than trying to kill them.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah the overlap between rain world and hollow knight is...non-existent

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

OzFactor posted:

Oh, that feeling when you see 30 new posts in this thread and think for a fleeting moment it's Silksong news...

There actually was, I think? There were multiple secret character reveal puzzles but I think only the first one ever got posted here.

https://twitter.com/mossbag69/status/1272658611068641280
https://twitter.com/mossbag69/status/1275181480583598083
https://twitter.com/mossbag69/status/1277745518043639813
https://twitter.com/mossbag69/status/1280265061538451457

Click through on those tweets because there are short gifs of game footage and dialogue snippets, too.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I am ashamed at all of you for not informing me of burglar bug sooner

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

https://twitter.com/i/status/1280265458403479552

Seth looks fuckin rad.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'd like to invest all my Geo with the burglar bug, please

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
VORE LOOOOOORE

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hello, I would like to play Silksong right now.