Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

b_d posted:

the NKG fight should play his drat music. if NO-EYES gets her own music then NKG as the capstone boss should

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

Deckit posted:

AHHHH NKG down 🎉🎉🎉

God drat. My pulse was going. The intensifying background does it job of making me think "Oh we're pretty far, don't gently caress up, oh gently caress I hosed up!" :stonk:

congratulations! such an intense and awesome fight.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

b_d posted:

nice. that reminds me i have a big (small) quibble with pantheon 5
the NKG fight should play his drat music. if NO-EYES gets her own music then NKG as the capstone boss should

No Eyes gets her own music I think because it's just the noise she makes as an enemy. If you play randomised enemies then it happens wherever she is.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

well sure but it's entirely in their control. don't sisters of battle have their own theme as well? the point is nkg should have his!!!

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

yeah the absence of NKGs theme in pantheon 5 always threw my entire rhythm off.

its such a good tune to get you psyched. why would you deny us this.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Tell me more about the mountain

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Grats on killing NKG.

NKG's music owns but I'm ok that P5 doesn't let the theater kid make it all about themselves when it's truly AbsRad's show.

BBJoey posted:

Tell me more about the mountain

I have no mountain, but on the topic of bringing things into the boss arena, may I interest you in how the TAS deals with Umuu?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBpo9j-I4kI&t=1508s

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Deckit posted:

AHHHH NKG down 🎉🎉🎉

God drat. My pulse was going. The intensifying background does it job of making me think "Oh we're pretty far, don't gently caress up, oh gently caress I hosed up!" :stonk:

Nice. I am currently at: made it to the bullet hell twice in like 30 attempts.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hollow Knight Speed Runners became so ravenous for content that they’ve essentially created a whole new genre of video game by modding Hollow Knight to be even more punishing and brutal. It’s like a hybrid PvE//PvP set up where you try to speed run the super bosses or path of pain WHILE five AI ghosts of other speed runners all try to kill you! That’s INSANE but also somehow one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

Hollow Knight Speed Runners became so ravenous for content that they’ve essentially created a whole new genre of video game by modding Hollow Knight to be even more punishing and brutal. It’s like a hybrid PvE//PvP set up where you try to speed run the super bosses or path of pain WHILE five AI ghosts of other speed runners all try to kill you! That’s INSANE but also somehow one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen.

The fact that the game engine / combat system support the extreme levels they mod some of the boss fights/encounters is just truly an amazing thing to see because at it’s core it’s a very simple system.

Like this poo poo is hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxphcZVZa50

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

BioThermo posted:

I have no mountain, but on the topic of bringing things into the boss arena, may I interest you in how the TAS deals with Umuu?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBpo9j-I4kI&t=1508s

oh man i kept checking if there was any TASing done for hollow knight but the tools at the time didn't work for it and i gave up hope. this is better than i could have imagined

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

I really like the speedrunner vs hunters videos, I wouldn't call it brutal because they seem to build in some pretty sensible rules.

I saw one that was a team of like 6 speedrunners given super tiny models and 6 hunters given super big models. So the hunters have an advantage in melee combat due to range but can't get through certain hallways, but the smaller players can actually skip certain areas more easily

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Good job you just added three months to the release date

Adding a number to infinity is still infinity.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Finally got NKG after an embarrassing amount of tries(almost 100). Never really got the timing down on pogoing his rush move without also taking damage, so I pretty much just focused on dodging that every time and punishing the flame jets and firebats. Thanks to whoever suggested sharp shadow and shape of unn.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Eschatos posted:

Finally got NKG after an embarrassing amount of tries(almost 100). Never really got the timing down on pogoing his rush move without also taking damage, so I pretty much just focused on dodging that every time and punishing the flame jets and firebats. Thanks to whoever suggested sharp shadow and shape of unn.

Congrats!

I've beaten NKG dozens of times and I also never really got the timing down on one of his attacks (the divekick with the flame trail) so I just breeze through the attack with descending dark. Invincibility frames are fun!

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Thank you for the congrats all! Went and trounced the dream bosses afterwards. Working on Radiance now. :ohdear:

b_d posted:

nice. that reminds me i have a big (small) quibble with pantheon 5

A travesty. I'll have to see how far I can go in the Pantheon after the next bright obstacle.

Eschatos posted:

Nice. I am currently at: made it to the bullet hell twice in like 30 attempts.

Keep at it! I didn't keep track of my attempts but I ate poo poo *a lot* Like, getting hit immediately, throwing my rhythm off, and just losing all the health.

Eschatos posted:

Congrats! His flame rush and shoryuken always gave me the most trouble.

Hobojim posted:

Congrats!

I've beaten NKG dozens of times and I also never really got the timing down on one of his attacks (the divekick with the flame trail) so I just breeze through the attack with descending dark. Invincibility frames are fun!

Aw man, I thought using dark descent on his firebat move was slick but that's rad.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Deckit posted:

Thank you for the congrats all! Went and trounced the dream bosses afterwards. Working on Radiance now. :ohdear:

that fight should be significantly easier than nkg. different since you have to deal with mixtures of stuff instead of one thing at a time but once you learn the attacks you should be good.

though i might be misremembering the process of learning that fight since it is now slow motion to me.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

How does actually taking on the final boss work? Will my save still be accessible after or does that end it for good?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Eschatos posted:

How does actually taking on the final boss work? Will my save still be accessible after or does that end it for good?

You just reload at the room outside the fight. You’re free to continue to do whatever you please after the fight.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

b_d posted:

that fight should be significantly easier than nkg. different since you have to deal with mixtures of stuff instead of one thing at a time but once you learn the attacks you should be good.

though i might be misremembering the process of learning that fight since it is now slow motion to me.

Oh yeah, the attacks don't seem as quick but the run back to the boss is definitely longer. Least the pre boss is fun to fight!

And yeah, every fight after has felt significantly slower.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Infection tag looks quite fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olw6FU8bo4o

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

BioThermo posted:

Sometimes I fuckin love SA for how it lets people connect over obscure poo poo.
Nat20, your LP of the game was refreshing, and your critiques of it were on point, and there are better ways to fight the pure vessel.

She got the king's brand and decided to complete basically the entire rest of the acceseible game before deciding to revisit the ancient basin. I'm awaiting her realization when she finally gets the shade cloak. Blind LPs are great.

I'm just watching the delicate flower episode now and it's a nailbiter :ohdear: :allears:

Taotipper
Nov 8, 2020

I've got a honking big hankering to play more hollow knight

Does anyone else want to play hollow knight? I don't mean multiplayer. I'm thinking one of those threads where people are reading or watching the same things, but with this cool video game. Anyone want to play at the same time as other people?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Cactus posted:

I'm just watching the delicate flower episode now and it's a nailbiter :ohdear: :allears:

Yesterday’s episode was really frustrating watching her bumble through the Trials! :lol:

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Taotipper posted:

I've got a honking big hankering to play more hollow knight

Does anyone else want to play hollow knight? I don't mean multiplayer. I'm thinking one of those threads where people are reading or watching the same things, but with this cool video game. Anyone want to play at the same time as other people?

Try out the randomizer if you haven't yet! It keeps things fresh and new and there's a shitload of ways to play it. You could even post seeds here and have people play them too! (I think anyway? I've never tried sharing seeds on HK rando but other randomizers have it as a feature so I'm assuming here)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm right at the end of my second playthrough, this time on pc instead of Switch and while I love my switch some games like this are just so much better with a decent controller. I'm managing things I had to leave the first time around on Switch like a few Dream Warriors, Grim, the coliseum, White Palace... And like first timed things I smashed my dick against like the Mantis Lords and Dung Defender.

That said I might have to draw the line at the Radiance.. they're destroying me.

I think all I have left is to get the last few flames for the Grimm Troupe, all of the Gods update, the flower and I think that's it?
Anyway still a brilliant game, there's so many great little things to pick out. Like for example this time around I'm nothing that the Hollow Knight himself uses moves from the Mantis Lords, the Traitor Lord, Malwek, and Soul Master. Like I get to him and I feel like I can stay ahead of him because I've had warmup fights already. It's cute

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

you can get a good controller for PC, ya know.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Yeah I'm playing through on an 8bitdo on pc instead of joycons in handheld on my switch and it's so much better

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I like my PC controller a lot more than joycons too, but I am glad that the game exists on the switch regardless

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 13, 2022

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

you can use the 8bitdo on switch ya know

ok not while you're also holding it but surely it's worth rigging up some kind of crane arm to hold it in front of your face instead.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Lol you're on pc just use an Xbox controller there's no need to use any of those dodgy firmware 8bitdo ones aaahahah

Source: I have an 8bit do one and it required me to update it's firmware the moment I started using it. So I did, and it worked for a while. Then it stopped charging properly. No amount of troubleshooting or updating firmware fixed it.

Meanwhile I've got Xbox 36ó pads that work to this day that are just as old if not older. The 8bit stuff is body hole trash. It works for a bit and then it doesn't and they hide behind "firmware update" as if that excuses gaping gashes in their operational paradigm. 8 bit do are nothing more than edgy tentacles that exist for no other purposes than to get you to say use our stuff and get tentacled.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
And yet you recommend a 360 controller for a 2D platformer. Curious!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the 360's dpad is terrible but i haven't used a dpad for anything other than menu navigation in a long, long time

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

I used a 360 controller for hollow knight, and used the joystick for movement. It's just fine.

I only found I needed the precision of the D-Pad for Celeste, and even then, only on the harder B-Sides and C-Sides.
For that, indeed, the 360 controller is trash. I switched to a dualshock for that.
I'm sure it'd be great for hollow knight, too!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Cactus posted:

Lol you're on pc just use an Xbox controller there's no need to use any of those dodgy firmware 8bitdo ones aaahahah

Source: I have an 8bit do one and it required me to update it's firmware the moment I started using it. So I did, and it worked for a while. Then it stopped charging properly. No amount of troubleshooting or updating firmware fixed it.

works on my machine

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Less flippantly I do agree that 8Bit-Do's quality control and documentation is not the best and I know more than a few people who have had problems with their products. But I only own an SN30Pro (from when they still looked like actual SNES controllers) and it still works just fine for anything I've thrown it at.

I think Metroid Dread is pretty much the only 2D platformer I've played with an analog stick that didn't make me itch uncontrollably to be using a d-pad instead though. I also don't have any problems with the JoyCon d-buttons, so well aware I'm in a minority on that one.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I played the first 10 hours on Steam with an Xbox controller and just couldn’t get into it. Then like 3 years later I bought it for my PS4, same deal…and then again for my Nintendo Switch a month later, where it being portable just shifted a massive gear in my mind, and suddenly I could actually do all the back & forth map crawling in between my more major gaming sessions for boss fights and stuff, and I put like 50 hours into it over that spring. The Switch Pro controller is amazing.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Bust Rodd posted:

I played the first 10 hours on Steam with an Xbox controller and just couldn’t get into it. Then like 3 years later I bought it for my PS4, same deal…and then again for my Nintendo Switch a month later, where it being portable just shifted a massive gear in my mind, and suddenly I could actually do all the back & forth map crawling in between my more major gaming sessions for boss fights and stuff, and I put like 50 hours into it over that spring. The Switch Pro controller is amazing.

Weirdly enough this is what happened to me with Sotn on Ps Vita. The console versions and playing it in emulators just didn't do it for me but as soon as I could play it in bed or on the sofa while my wife watched TV (and once at the worst party I've ever been to) I smashed it and did both castles.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Logitech also makes an Xbox controller in the style of a DualShock if you prefer PS style controllers.

But yeah, definitely have a gamepad for console ports!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The game is also just more responsive on PC compared to the Switch version.

I use a DS4.