Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Oooooh. I know who you are talking about.

You monster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
On some level, I understand I'm putting her out of her misery and laying her to rest but still feel like a monster
This game has been an absolute blast, it took me about two hours this morning to clear the Watcher Knights battle (easily >30 tries)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

LemonLimeSoda posted:

On some level, I understand I'm putting her out of her misery and laying her to rest but still feel like a monster
This game has been an absolute blast, it took me about two hours this morning to clear the Watcher Knights battle (easily >30 tries)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqBkgE0AmnE

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Watcher Knights is easily my least favorite fight in the entire game. But I also admit that I'm bad at any of the bosses that involve two or more mobs attacking me at the same time.

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020

Enjoying this clip, clever wordplay

TheMadMilkman posted:

Watcher Knights is easily my least favorite fight in the entire game. But I also admit that I'm bad at any of the bosses that involve two or more mobs attacking me at the same time.

I felt like it was a well-made boss design but definitely agree on struggling with mobs of any sort
My biggest issue was that I am not yet used to the shadow dash so I'm not dashing into the bosses like I should and am still stuck in the mindset of dashing away

I'm now trying to tackle the Failed Champion
Last night, I gave it about 5 tried or so and couldn't down him even once. The game treating it like a dream instead of a true death is appreciated - I can only get a few hits in before getting kicked out of the dream
I'm going to try to tackle him again with a different charm load (fragile strength, stalwart shell, Mark of pride) and attempt a run where I'm completely focused on dodging as much as possible to get a feel for his moveset

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Watcher Knights are a bit too big to Shadow Dash effectively I think, the "easy" way to do them is to either go full spell build and down-spell-attack the mobs, or equip Stalwart Shell + nail charms, and facetank.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Watcher Knights are a bit too big to Shadow Dash effectively I think, the "easy" way to do them is to either go full spell build and down-spell-attack the mobs, or equip Stalwart Shell + nail charms, and facetank.

nah you can definitely shadow dash them, it makes the fight much easier. especially given how often they're either moving in the opposite direction you are or briefly standing still after landing / disorienting themselves

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

LemonLimeSoda posted:

I'm now trying to tackle the Failed Champion
Last night, I gave it about 5 tried or so and couldn't down him even once. The game treating it like a dream instead of a true death is appreciated - I can only get a few hits in before getting kicked out of the dream
I'm going to try to tackle him again with a different charm load (fragile strength, stalwart shell, Mark of pride) and attempt a run where I'm completely focused on dodging as much as possible to get a feel for his moveset

once you do manage to hit him enough to get the stagger, an effective but cheesy strat is to dreamnail his head, then pogo off his shell. this'll let you refill all soul (and then all health), but the pogo resets his stun timer without damaging him, which would end the stun.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

With secretly-best-charm-in-the-game Sharp Shadow it’s easy to dash through them while they’re doing their standing slash and you can absolutely wreck them in seconds with quick slash without tanking hits.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Yeah I’m okay at the game and I just cheesed Watcher Knights with sharp shadow and pure nail. Wish I’d known about the chandelier before I just brute forced the fight.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also I beat the game again and Hornet 2 is one of those boss fights I could play over and over and have fun every time.

Though I did kinda facetank her the first time I beat the game lol

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
Agreed with those who said Sharp Shadow is a huge help in the Watcher Knights fight.

The Failed Champion fight honestly took me a good 3 hours between last night and this morning - I bit the bullet and went and got the Quick Slash

The latest rock I've decided to pound my forehead with over and over again is the Traitor Lord fight
I have the Coiled Nail and am attempting this with Quick Slash, Sharp Shadow and Mark of Pride

What's encouraging is that I usually can get him down to the point where he starts sending the white waves but I think my biggest issues are
-I dash when he dives instead of simply walking a step forward
-I'll dash into him and get damaged

I'm very grateful to have the Dreamgate but am definitely chipping away at my essence pretty fast

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

For Failed Champion, just stay on the ground the whole time, except for dodging the shockwave attack. It is much easier to learn the correct attack opportunities and dodging distances in one dimension than two. You end up dashing beneath him a lot when he jumps, but it is safer doing that than jumping around with him.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it probably varies a lot for bosses but one of the things that got me from "really goddamn bad" to decent at bosses was to stop jumping around and dashing around like a maniac. not that dashing isn't important especially with Shadow Cloak, but since it's on a cooldown you don't want to be in a position where you need it and can't use it

that said "dashing a ton" works for traitor lord as long as you stay close to him. unless he does the shockwave or if it's necessary to avoid the spinny blade attack, you shouldn't be jumping though

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 25, 2022

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

I bashed my head against Traitor Lord for ages and had to gimmick him down with minions (weavers, glowing womb, defenders crest) and concentrated on avoiding being hit.

Then I used the same loadout and beat Failed Champion on the second try.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea a lot of bosses in this game are a nemesis to random players while jokes to other, with only a very few being universally considered challenging. I beat Soul Master fellow on the first try each time, Traitor Lord took a few tries but it never struck me as noteworthy, and I also never saw why Nightmare Grimm was considered so crazy, he's just a harder version of a guy with a very clearly structured fight.

Yet then Brooding Mawlek repeatably humbles me, help.

I think it's a sign of good design?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/griffinmatta/status/1533723063451361280?s=21&t=FaXJ13JY3BXx24o2iAHDDA

come on man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug88HO2mg44

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

NO

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

I refuse.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Go bump the Silksong thread, we can poo poo that thread up instead. This thread should remain as pure as Zote the Mighty!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've been watching fireb0rn and he's just a legit chill dude despite being a speedrunner. This recent video was pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXd9m8XBO6I

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/caseyexplosion/status/1546616228277616640?s=21&t=O008zPwmoQhOWVAMpQbnpA

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That is beyond blatant lmao.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That is beyond blatant lmao.

Yeah, I wouldn't even call it a cross with anything, that's just a Hollow Knight fangame

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I was like “ok they’re copying the art style hard. oh ok the combat looks the same too. Oh lol spikes are coming from the floor and you can pogo nevermind”

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If it's good and fun and executes the style well then I'll play and enjoy it.

Here's the one thing I find funny/sad about this.

Hollow Knight kickstarter:

Crowsworn kickstarter:

I'm not mad at the Crowsworn devs for that though, just lol that nobody thought Hollow Knight worth paying attention to before it came out and now it's such a big phenomenon that a game specifically mimicking its style made orders of magnitudes more on Kickstarter.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I mean yeah, it's an extremely good game that many people love but they didn't know it would be before they played it. It's really cool that it's so beloved that so many people will back something that looks similar to it!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

that looks a lot more promising than a lot of Hollow Knight wannabes but also illustrates how masterful HK is and why none of them really live up to the standard it sets

HK bosses have extraordinarily little downtime -- a few bosses will disappear from the screen for a second or two between attacks but they almost never do the (incredibly obnoxious) thing the boss in that video does where they straight-up don't exist to be hit for the duration of multiple attack patterns, leaving the player with "dead time" where there's nothing they can do to advance the win condition and all they're doing is not-losing

the boss's movement and attack patterns are unpredictable enough and fast enough that some of them have to be foreshadowed with explicit ghosts for the player to have any hope of avoiding them, but the ghosts arrive significantly before the attack actually happens. hollow knight occasionally uses ghosts (the spikes in the Colosseum, Grimm's pillar attack) but their presentation is more diegetic, the timing is usually a little closer to the attack actually landing, and whenever possible it prefers to communicate what an enemy is about to do through animation and physics alone

(closely related: realistic physics in a platformer is a terrible idea, but consistent ones is very important; can't really comment on Crowsworn on that point from that video alone since it's only showing off one enemy)

while it lasts for different durations and in one case is accompanied by a particle effect, almost all of that boss's tell animations are the same -- it tenses up and pulls its spear back before it lunges, before it jumps offscreen, before it jumps midscreen to go for a slam attack, etc. they're either literally the same sprite or only very slight variations on it

compare Hornet, who has unique, distinct pre-attack / wind-up sprites for her projectile attack, her grounded lunge, her aerial lunge, and her aerial AoE

arguably even more important, Hornet also has unique audio cues that correspond to each of her attacks, and come very slightly before the point at which they threaten the player; the boss in Crowsworn has a slight whooshing noise to let you know when it's going to leap instead of lunge, but the leap is the attack you least need advance warning of; other than that it only plays sounds after the attack has already started, and in a lot of cases even only after it's hit

e: obviously all of this is the difference between, like, a solid B+ and "greatest metroidvania ever made," but Hollow Knight really is just that loving good :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 12, 2022

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Hollowknight is a huge sleeper hit and it takes people a while to get to it and most (me) bounce off of it at first but when it finally clicks...

:hmmyes:

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

e: obviously all of this is the difference between, like, a solid B+ and "greatest metroidvania ever made," but Hollow Knight really is just that loving good :v:

Yeah, that's the thing here: HK isn't particularly revolutionary or anything it just absolutely nails everything. A game that mimics it is going to have a very severe uncanny valley-type problem where it's like 95% of the way there but it's not going to make you feel anything because the last 5% is the magic part.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
crowsworn caused some discourse when it came out which ended with the HK guys more or less saying "wow this game looks cool check it out" on their twitter and backing their KS

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Maybe the Hollow Knight devs saw Crowsworn and went “oh awesome, now we can play a Hollow Knight game that we don’t know already know forwards & backwards”

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

don't hollow knight and crowsworn have the same marketing guy

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Bust Rodd posted:

Maybe the Hollow Knight devs saw Crowsworn and went “oh awesome, now we can play a Hollow Knight game that we don’t know already know forwards & backwards”

I also want a Hollow Knight game that I don't already know forwards and backwards.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Eeepies posted:

I also want a Hollow Knight game that I don't already know forwards and backwards.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Try the randomizer! It's still a game you know but it switches things up a lot.

They also added a bunch of stuff recently so that's cool. Now you can randomize elevators, levers and sword upgrades (rather than just pale ore like before).

My hell randomizer settings are getting worse and worse lol, start at one mask and one notch with only pogos and split claw/crystal dash/mothwing cloak with random start location and more and more stuff to find. Good times.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
It’s funny because what got me into HK was wanting a Super Metroid that I hadn’t played and didn’t know and here we are...

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"
Sorry to revive an older thread but... finally beat the HK fight on the first ending, and I'm now working to finish up the Hornet quest, starting with Traitor Lord.. Trial of the Conqueror is kicking my rear end right now!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
u can do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

Bust Rodd posted:

u can do it

Aw thanks. I appreciate ur confidence in me.