Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
This game is way better than Axiom Verge on the strength of its visuals alone.

Unlike AV and even more so unlike Ori, this game had absolutely gently caress all marketing whatsoever and thus hasn't found a wide audience. Like one or two sites even reviewed it. I can understand why they didn't want to shell out for ads given the budget they were working with but still. Hopefully it will get a bit of buzz when the content packs & DLC drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah this game is pretty much reliant on word of mouth to get attention. Which is a more viable strategy than its ever been thanks to streamers and youtubers but still not ideal.

I literally never heard of this game until I saw a youtube video of someone beating up all the bosses.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The devs seem pretty pleased with how it's doing so far at least but yeah, it's a shame to not see it get picked up any of the bigger sites

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
It just recwntly passed 100k copies sold iirc so it isn't doing half bad.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

thanks alot assbag posted:

This is a fantastic game and one of the best Metroidvania-types in a long time, probably since Axiom Verge (Ori and the Blind Forest is garbage for a lot of reasons I'm willing to argue to my deathbed)

I'm amazed at how long this game seems to be. Y'all are talking about areas I haven't seen in the game at all, so I'm constantly wondering how close I am to the end. Definitely played at least 20 hours so far, mostly just wandering. It's a nice feeling!

Yeah, thats one of the impressive bits. Even in "late game" you'll still be running into entirely new areas with new lore/assets and everything.

Sepah
May 13, 2014
Higher beings, these words are for you alone...

What a fantastic game. Wonderful atmosphere and interesting characters, challenging gameplay with fun customization that encourages you to hunt down all the extra collectible stuff.

Ending talk:

So, I just finished the game with the true ending. I did the first ending, replacing the Hollow Knight to contain the infestation, and then went on to do the extra stuff required for the additional endings.

I was disappointed in the Hollow Knight battle on a gameplay level, as I felt he was very easy for the endgame boss. I did enjoy the lore aspects of the fight, with the Hollow Knight starting chained up, and the Knight attacking himself when he could to try to overcome the infestation or perhaps kill himself to allow a new pure vessel to contain The Radiance.

I felt like the White Palace was quite challenging, and enjoyable. It really showed off the platforming chops of the game that nowhere else is required. Its nice that its optional though, as I can see a lot of people simply giving up on it.

Now, the Radiance fight I loved. It was annoying, having to blitz down the Hollow Knight every time I fought him, but it was encouragement to not die on the Radiance. And I died a bunch, I think around a dozen times. No part of the fight felt like bullshit, the attacks are powerful but avoidable, and the music and visuals of the fight are inspiring.

I would definitely recommend this game to anybody who enjoys 2d action games. I've always very much enjoyed the kind of game that, as you progress, gives you powerful movement options compared to when you start. The sheer mobility of the character after acquiring the upgrade items is a pleasure to have when exploring the game world.

My favorite area, atmosphere wise, is definitely the (early-to-midgame spoiler)City of Tears.

I too love the sound of rain on glass. :kimchi:

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Holy gently caress this final boss means BUSINESS. :stare:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

FisheyStix posted:

Holy gently caress this final boss means BUSINESS. :stare:

I got all giddy that I chumped the Hollow Knight then noticed it did double damage. That was a kick on the nuts.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So, I finally started making progress. Beat the Broken Vessel, got the Monarch Wings, Isma's Tear and the Crystal Heart. Upon returning to the Crossroads,it now looks like the Flood from Halo has set up shop. Did I gently caress up? Or is this supposed to happen?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Can't be avoided, it's triggered by getting the double jump or breaking one of the seals, whichever comes first. Mind the exploding corpses!

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
If it helps, know that you can't lock yourself out of any content or mess things that you won't be able to do x. So explore freely!

There is one small exception that really only matters to people wanting every achievement.

There is one ending that you can be locked out of if you are extremely far into the game, but you can still get a variant of that ending that is pretty much the same. The difference is there are multiple achievements, one for each ending and you cant get the first one anymore after a certain point.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You can't get all the achievements in one run anyways so if you care about those you're already committed to multiple runs.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I have no idea if I was supposed to fight the Mawlek as my first boss, but I'm thinking probably not considering how rough it was. I had no way to really dodge the giant goo burst attack except through pure luck, so it basically turned into a damage race as I tried to hit it as much as I could and heal whenever possible until it died.

Things I have: The charm that increases how much damage you do at 1 health, and I've saved 1 Grub. That's the entirety of my progress before that fight, as I didn't even find the map guy beforehand.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

you can pogo bounce over it after it shoots all the goop

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

lets hang out posted:

you can pogo bounce over it after it shoots all the goop

I thought that might be it but while I pogo bounced into the area, I'm still not very good at it.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
If a boss is too difficult you can usually leave and come back later after some more charms/upgrades. You'd be surprised at how few of the bosses are actually required to progress, though there are a few that are.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
So I know it was just stated that you can't mess things up so you can't do (x) but does that include things like NPC storylines? If this is as inspired by souls as I've been lead to believe those should be a thing right?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I am very curious about how to save a certain NPC that dies during a boss fight.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

I am very curious about how to save a certain NPC that dies during a boss fight.

If you are talking the traitor lord fight then the only way to save that npc is to not talk to them in the other zones so she never gets the courage to help you in the first place. Maybe you could do it after the fight?

If she's in the fight she will die. But I think that's the end of interactions with her either way but if it makes you feel better.

There are NPC storylines but you can't really change the way how they play out for the most part. Beyond little things like, you can choose to bring the delicate flower to elderbug for instance. (It doesn't stop you from completing the quest either, you just have to get a new flower.)

Well most of them anyways. Come to think of it there are two exceptions but they are for pretty minor characters.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 25, 2017

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Eopia posted:

So I know it was just stated that you can't mess things up so you can't do (x) but does that include things like NPC storylines? If this is as inspired by souls as I've been lead to believe those should be a thing right?

Not really, the only ones I can think of are if you leave Zote in that bug's mouth he obviously doesn't show up later ('cause you left him to die... you monster...) and if you don't meet Hornet in Kingdoms Edge before doing one of the Dreamers you miss out on a small character scene but her overall quest is still the same.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Where does Sack Bug show up after you talk to her in Dirthmouth anyways? I never found her after that.

Also letting Zote die is 100% the correct decision cause he's an rear end.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Knorth posted:

Not really, the only ones I can think of are if you leave Zote in that bug's mouth he obviously doesn't show up later ('cause you left him to die... you monster...) and if you don't meet Hornet in Kingdoms Edge before doing one of the Dreamers you miss out on a small character scene but her overall quest is still the same.

Yeah, there's that one and one more.

The final fate of the nailsmith has two outcomes

Whoops got confused, Sack bug is found in: hiding in the ground in the fungal wastes, deepnest and ancient basin.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 25, 2017

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

JuniperCake posted:

Yeah, there's that one and one more.

The final fate of the nailsmith has two outcomes

Sack Bug is either in her house or on the bench after you rescue her. She can also end up sitting outside her house too.

Ah yeah, there's that one too

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Alright I'm stuck near the beginning. I've managed to get into Greenpath but I can't figure out how to continue, as I can't seem to reach any of the ledges that seem to be the paths forward without some kind of increased jump height or the like (I found the map guy but couldn't get further). The same seems to be the case in the Crossroads too.

Edit- Nevermind, I missed an incredibly obvious path.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 25, 2017

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

JuniperCake posted:

If you are talking the traitor lord fight then the only way to save that npc is to not talk to them in the other zones so she never gets the courage to help you in the first place. Maybe you could do it after the fight?

If she's in the fight she will die. But I think that's the end of interactions with her either way but if it makes you feel better.

There are NPC storylines but you can't really change the way how they play out for the most part. Beyond little things like, you can choose to bring the delicate flower to elderbug for instance. (It doesn't stop you from completing the quest either, you just have to get a new flower.)

Well most of them anyways. Come to think of it there are two exceptions but they are for pretty minor characters.

Actually if you kill the lord fast enough she survives the fight.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Wait, really?

I'll have to try that when I eventually do another playthrough

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

gently caress Soul Tyrant and all teleporting enemies.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

skasion posted:

This game is way better than Axiom Verge on the strength of its visuals alone.

On the other hand, Axiom Verge has the funkiest soundtrack of all time

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Augus posted:

On the other hand, Axiom Verge has the funkiest soundtrack of all time

It is really good for sure. Probably the best aspect of the game is the sound, the way the music and sfx blend into each other is so neat. If only it did not look like someone vomiting up a glowstick on a Giger painting, I would recommend it to everyone.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

gently caress Soul Tyrant and all teleporting enemies.

Soul Tyrant's pattern can be exploited pretty easily and safely.

Stand all the way on the right of the arena. Jump over anything he shoots. Jump and slash him if he does his dive. Slash him when he does his charge, you won't need to move. When he charges you should be able to pretty easily jump over one of the revolving things and slash him a couple times. The safest part to focus is just after he charges and vanishes.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

SirSamVimes posted:

Actually if you kill the lord fast enough she survives the fight.

I'd love to know how to do this consistently.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd love to know how to do this consistently.

As far as I know this isn't actually possible, and you wouldn't want to do it anyway. Cloth's got a death wish. Going out against Evil Orange Mantis Queen is the best end she could ever ask for.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

When's the Switch version?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

When's the Switch version?

when it's done

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

As far as I know this isn't actually possible, and you wouldn't want to do it anyway. Cloth's got a death wish. Going out against Evil Orange Mantis Queen is the best end she could ever ask for.

Yeah, I'd like to see a video or a screenshot because I don't think it's possible either. That person's post was the first I've seen mentioned of it and I spent some time looking cause I wanted to find an alternative solution too.

You can save cloth from the lord, but to do it she cant be in the fight at all. So if you do the fight before building her courage up by talking to her in Basin/Deepnest then she won't be present for obvious reasons. Then after the Basin scene, she'll instead appear in village and talk to you once more before disappearing from the game entirely. She plans to march into the desolate plains beyond the howling cliffs, so it's likely she doesn't survive the journey anyways.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Oh, I think I just misread the wiki page.

I thought it was dialogue for if she survived the fight, it was dialogue for if she doesn't take part in the fight.

Nevermind, I'm dumb.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

JuniperCake posted:

Yeah, I'd like to see a video or a screenshot because I don't think it's possible either. That person's post was the first I've seen mentioned of it and I spent some time looking cause I wanted to find an alternative solution too.

You can save cloth from the lord, but to do it she cant be in the fight at all. So if you do the fight before building her courage up by talking to her in Basin/Deepnest then she won't be present for obvious reasons. Then after the Basin scene, she'll instead appear in village and talk to you once more before disappearing from the game entirely. She plans to march into the desolate plains beyond the howling cliffs, so it's likely she doesn't survive the journey anyways.

Oh well I guess that explains why I never saw her again after that village scene. I tried looking for her in the wastes but there wasn't anything. Not even a corpse.

Speaking of which, is Tiso's entire story him wanting to go the arena, getting to the arena, and then dying like a chump? There's a corpse in Kingdom's Edge that looks like him.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010
Yes.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I'm kind of stuck. Where can I go next if I hated fighting enemies in Crystal Peak?

There's area next to Fungal Wastes and below Greenpath, but the map guy is blocked by some black force field I have no clue how to disable. And I can't progress in other directions there yet without either longer dash or double jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Your options:

1) Continue struggling through Crystal Peak. There's a key movement ability available from the upper section and entrance to another zone in the lower right.

2) At the bottom of Fungal Wastes through the Mantis Villages is access to Deepnest. Deepnest is hell if you haven't upgraded your nail at least once.

3) If you have a Simple Key (one can be bought from Sly and one found in City of Tears), there's a passage downwards just to the left of the fountain in the City of Tears which unlocks a sewer level. Have fun.

I honestly really liked Crystal Peak and your other options aren't the best zones but you might like them more.