Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

My interpretation is that the idea that the Hollow Knight was tainted by was the moment that it looked back at the Knight in the Abyss flashback and felt pity for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

here is my totally unbacked theory the hollow knight was never actually corrupted and the whole plan to make a totally hollow being to hold in the radiance was always doomed to fail. people just thought it was corrupted as an excuse. i bet if you take it into yourself it would eventually find its way back out just like it did the previous time. i mean there has to be a reason why killing it is the super ending right?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I sort of agree with you. IMO, creating a truly hollow being would contain the Radiance indefinitely but it is impossible to achieve. Even if a Vessel was empty at creation, it would inevitably develop a thought or idea of its own. Look at the Knight. Instead of being a mindless void golem, it delivers flowers, rescues Zote (multiple times), fights in an arena and takes the time to enjoy a peaceful moment with Quirrel at Blue Lake.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
One thing I wonder tying into all this is what influence the King's bargain with Herrah might have had on the whole thing. We know that the King wanted her to become a dreamer but she'd only do it for the bargain of him giving her a child - that child being Hornet, who is clearly emotive, intelligent and not "hollow" in any sense of the word despite being made of the same void stuff the vessels were made of, proving that void creations are definitely capable of being more than mindless drones.

I wonder if it's possible that the King was affected emotionally by Hornet's creation and gave him a desire for a child of his own, which caused him to either consciously or subconsciously endow his vessel creation attempts with emotions to varying degrees, which is why we see so many discarded ones in the Abyss. We also know the King deeply and horribly regretted the whole ordeal - if you basically made hundreds upon hundreds of children that visibly loved you but were just constantly forced to discard them for not being up to the task, you'd probably feel like poo poo about it, even going so far as to just block off the entire abyss in an attempt to forget about it.

I kind of wonder if the King would have made quite so many "mistakes" if not for Hornet's prior creation probably being on his mind, especially if she was the first void-created creature he ever made.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I misread the hunter's journal entry and thought the Pale King WAS the Hollow Knight (boss). Weird that it's not the case because the whole narrative works if it was true.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

replaying the game

the new nosk is quite a bastard to kill, and i hate it

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Why do you think that Hornet is made of void stuff? She flashes white when hit like other living uninfected bugs such as the Mantises and the Dung Defender instead of black like void-based entities

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SirSamVimes posted:

Why do you think that Hornet is made of void stuff? She flashes white when hit like other living uninfected bugs such as the Mantises and the Dung Defender instead of black like void-based entities

The Kingsmould flash white when you hit them too because they contain both soul and void. Hornet, and all of the knights, are the same way. She's a construct created by binding void and soul into a physical shell. Hornet is only different in that instead of being an emotionless tool she was explicitly designed to be a person. She has an identity, she has clear emotions, she even has a gender.

The game explicitly refers to her as a sibling of the Knight so its not really debatable.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Or maybe they're siblings because they're both "fathered" by the king. I figured Hornet was the actual child of the king and Herrah. The Pale Lady said that she did not "begrudge the Wyrm's dalliance as bargain" which implies that there was more than just making another void creature.

edit: Hornet being a being of void is certainly a valid interpretation but saying it's not debatable is silly.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 20, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
i severely underestimated how hard Trial of the Fool would be with Jodi's Blessing equipped and no shade cloak.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Shade cloak is pretty OP but I love the design of the mechanic. The recharge period feels really intuitive really quickly and it allows you to have a lot of fun dashing through attacks while not completely breaking the game. All games with dashes should steal this, it's perfect.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
You think that's cool? Go find Sharp Shadows and see what you think. :getin:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The things that's really loving me up in the Fool Trial is the pogoing. One of my challenge stipulations was not using longnail or mark of pride. For most of the game that isn't an issue but pogoing with the default nail suuuuuuucks. I equipped mark of pride for Path of Pain because the end felt impossible with the default nail. I rationalized that as being a non-combat challenge so it didn't matter, but I don't wanna bend the rules here.

What's really gonna suck is when I finally make it to God Tamer and lose because I just spammed spells again her the first time and won before she did much. Don't remember her attacks at all.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

replaying the game

the new nosk is quite a bastard to kill, and i hate it

Did Nosk get a buff? When? I remember being disappointed because the fight was so easy despite the build-up.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

celestial teapot posted:

Did Nosk get a buff? When? I remember being disappointed because the fight was so easy despite the build-up.

When the first DLC was added iirc.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

celestial teapot posted:

Nosk got two new moves added in the first DLC

-Stands in place flinging a flurry of acid across the arena for a few seconds
-Leaps off-screen and rains acid down from above

It makes him a lot less predictable so the fight feels like an actual boss now.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I died within five seconds of fighting Nosk the first time but the second time I just stood right next to the door and hit him when he ran at me. Reading the wiki, it sounds like there are a few different places in the room that he just can't get to. I do wish there was a bit more to him, since the lead up to the fight is so creepy and cool.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah there's no safe zones now, his acid spray can hit wherever

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I didn't know about any safe zones or whatever, I just kinda dodged his attacks as well as I could. It was still pretty easy though, because it was one of the last bosses I fought in the game.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It used to be that if you just stood right next to the little raised bit in the middle of the room and swung upward whenever he passed by, he would gallop back and forth forever until he died and never be able to hurt you. Mondo anticlimax

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

still is on the outward gallop, but he can dollop acid jizz on you in that position using two separate, quite quick moves

plus his return gallop can now hit you in that location

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I only beat him a few weeks ago, so this was post-update. I didn't say I didn't get hit, but just standing next to the door gave me more than enough time to heal any damage from the goop launch when he wasn't around.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

He's a really unenjoyable boss fight, probably the worst one (besides maybe watcher knights). If you haven't played him post-patch you haven't missed much.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'd say Uumuu is the worst boss if you count it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

That homage was waaaay too overt. Idk why they just decided to put metroid in the game.

But that dude who helps you gets to be cool at least.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

No Wave posted:

(besides maybe watcher knights)
:commissar: Please report to the Department of Wrong Opinions for immediate termination.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
loving finally.

I did not think this challenge would be so hard but afters hours of failure I was clearly wrong. The Fool Trial is just so goddamn long that not being able to heal makes every minor choke into a huge problem. I got to God Tamer 3 times and died immediately because I have no clue how to dodge the rolling beetle without shade cloak. Couldn't exactly practice it either. So I instead resorted to a cheesy strat of sticking to the wall and letting the weaver charm kill the boss. Normally don't do stuff like that but this stopped being fun long ago.

But now all I need to do is beat White Defender and I'll have done everything you can do without the shade cloak.

No Wave posted:

That homage was waaaay too overt. Idk why they just decided to put metroid in the game.

But that dude who helps you gets to be cool at least.

Honestly I never even thought about it being a metroid until you mentioned it.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The Quirrel questline is by far my favorite character/story of the game. He's so chill, and his line about getting two see the whole world twice over, each time being a new experience, really struck something in me.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Quirrel is one of the most likeable characters I've ever seen in a video game. He's so chill and enthusiastic about discovery.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

He's the only character I've ever seen have a positive reaction to realising he has amnesia, it's great.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Oooooh, finally discovered the thread for this game. This seems like a good place as any to ask for some advice, because I recently got this game and I have no idea where to go :haw:

The last bosses I beat where the Mantis Lords, that teleporting soul master dude who gives you the ground smash spell, some crystal laser bug and - finally - that broken vessel guy (corpse that looks like me, filled with red jellymonsters). So now I've got walljump, ground pound, speed booster and doublejump. No idea where to go next, though.
I got to the Deepnest and explored the gently caress out of that place, but there didn't seem to be much going on. I got predictably trapped in spidertown, but there doesn't seem to be anything to do here? Only some sleeping spider lady, and one NPC who told me juicy lore then tried to eat me. :shrug: I got to the place for the Broken Vessel, though, so now I've got beautiful butterfly wings that I suppose will open something else?

Other then that, I also got to the eastern part of the City of Tears, where I got my rear end repeatedly handed to me by apparently infinitely (???) spawning rolling knight dudes. Are you supposed to tackle those guys yet? At first I assumed there was some kind of Demon's Souls twist where you have to find the hidden guy who keeps reviving more knights, and I DID find a hidden chandelier and dropped it above the arena, but I can't really tell if it did anything - the knights just kept merrily respawning. (It's moments like this where I wish the game actually showed life bars for boss enemies, maybe then I'd know what's going on with those guys...)
And the other big blockade right now are those weird shadow vortex things which block all passage. At first I thought I could pass through with the dash or the speed boost, but no dice. I suppose I'll find some gadget for those eventually?

Aaaaaaind final question: is there any way to get more slots for notches? I've been running around through the game with four slots for what feels like an eternity, and the game just keeps throwing notches at me. But most of the time, I've got the Long Nail and the compass equipped anyway, so there's not really much freedom there yet. How do I get more slots? I want to run around with tiny spider friends at all times :(

Overall so far: incredibly rad game, I can't believe I missed it all this time. I love the animations, and how obviously Souls-like it is in a good way (tells you fuckall, lets you find later areas early, unique enemies and obstacles for certain maps...). I'm sure I'll start talking in spoiler bars as well once I know what the hell is going on.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Oooooh, finally discovered the thread for this game. This seems like a good place as any to ask for some advice, because I recently got this game and I have no idea where to go :haw:

The last bosses I beat where the Mantis Lords, that teleporting soul master dude who gives you the ground smash spell, some crystal laser bug and - finally - that broken vessel guy (corpse that looks like me, filled with red jellymonsters). So now I've got walljump, ground pound, speed booster and doublejump. No idea where to go next, though.
I got to the Deepnest and explored the gently caress out of that place, but there didn't seem to be much going on. I got predictably trapped in spidertown, but there doesn't seem to be anything to do here? Only some sleeping spider lady, and one NPC who told me juicy lore then tried to eat me. :shrug: I got to the place for the Broken Vessel, though, so now I've got beautiful butterfly wings that I suppose will open something else?

Other then that, I also got to the eastern part of the City of Tears, where I got my rear end repeatedly handed to me by apparently infinitely (???) spawning rolling knight dudes. Are you supposed to tackle those guys yet? At first I assumed there was some kind of Demon's Souls twist where you have to find the hidden guy who keeps reviving more knights, and I DID find a hidden chandelier and dropped it above the arena, but I can't really tell if it did anything - the knights just kept merrily respawning. (It's moments like this where I wish the game actually showed life bars for boss enemies, maybe then I'd know what's going on with those guys...)
And the other big blockade right now are those weird shadow vortex things which block all passage. At first I thought I could pass through with the dash or the speed boost, but no dice. I suppose I'll find some gadget for those eventually?

Aaaaaaind final question: is there any way to get more slots for notches? I've been running around through the game with four slots for what feels like an eternity, and the game just keeps throwing notches at me. But most of the time, I've got the Long Nail and the compass equipped anyway, so there's not really much freedom there yet. How do I get more slots? I want to run around with tiny spider friends at all times :(

Overall so far: incredibly rad game, I can't believe I missed it all this time. I love the animations, and how obviously Souls-like it is in a good way (tells you fuckall, lets you find later areas early, unique enemies and obstacles for certain maps...). I'm sure I'll start talking in spoiler bars as well once I know what the hell is going on.

Deepnest: main quest progress is here. Look around in the real big room with the stag station at the top (to the left of the NPC who wants to eat you every time you talk iirc)
Watcher knights: there’s a limited number, which the chandelier permanently reduces by one. If you can tough them out, they gate progress as well.
Shadow barriers: you need an upgrade to pass, you’ll know it when you see it. This is probably the last upgrade most people get, wouldn’t worry just yet.
Charms: slots and notches are the same thing, the poo poo that goes in them is charms. If you find more charms, the charm seller in crossroads will sell you up to four more notches. A couple others you can find lying around or as a reward for fights.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
One thing not mentioned by skasion: I'm assuming you've met the Dung Defender. It is a common stumbling block for people that they don't know what's triggered by defeating him. Consider looking that up and going there, because that is also plot-crucial.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Go to Crystal Peak and find a giant pit to fall down on the bottom right side. You'll get an important item for the story.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think I beat the game without fighting DD.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

No Wave posted:

I think I beat the game without fighting DD.

I'm quite confident that's impossible without speedrun tricks/glitches. I'm fairly sure to get to Uumuu you normally need Isma's Tear and to get that you need to fight DD. The Isma's Tear requirement can be bypassed in a few ways, including with some reaaaally accurate crystal dashing.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It’s not impossible (you can get into the far side of Fog Canyon without Tear if you have Shade Cloak), but I really wouldn’t recommend trying it either. Besides, it’s a fun fight. Possibly my favorite.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You can't do anything in Distant Village for the main quest until you get the plot relevant upgrade. However, there are other secrets in Deepnest you haven't found. The area is massive and its easy to miss stuff in it. One secret can be found by exploring the area to the left of the bench room at the very top of Deepnest. This one will give you an item that lets you progress to other areas. Another is to the left of the hotspring room, it doesn't lead to progress but its really cool.

More specific spoilers;
-The failed tramway at the top of Deepnest has the tram pass in it. This will let you use the trains and access two areas you haven't been too.
-In the room to the left of the hotspring, there is a breakable wall that is hiding a grub. In that room there is another breakable wall that leads to a sub-area with an upgrade material and a friend.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Dancer posted:

One thing not mentioned by skasion: I'm assuming you've met the Dung Defender. It is a common stumbling block for people that they don't know what's triggered by defeating him. Consider looking that up and going there, because that is also plot-crucial.

Nope, haven't met the guy! :D I assume, since you assume, that I could theoretically have found him already with what I have. I'm just gonna poke around. Lookling for more suspicious walljumpable ledges, cracked floors to dive at, and buy that Simple Key in Dirtmouth that keeps taunting me...

Thanks for the tips so far, I feel very dumb already for missing that huge chasm east in Crystal Peak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Dancer posted:

I'm quite confident that's impossible without speedrun tricks/glitches. I'm fairly sure to get to Uumuu you normally need Isma's Tear and to get that you need to fight DD. The Isma's Tear requirement can be bypassed in a few ways, including with some reaaaally accurate crystal dashing.
Somehow I did this by accident. I didn't get that item until I was collecting everything post-true ending.

It is weird that Uumuu's house is so navigable without it via crystal dashing, like it was designed to be optional for some reason.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 22, 2017