Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Don't get why its called the lifeblood update since it doesn't seem like they added any ~lore~ that explains wtf lifeblood is. I guess that just sounds better than the COVERED IN BEES update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

There's also a bunch of miscellaneous changes such as updated visuals, more coloured lighting, title screens unlocked by the final bosses, more particle effects, the Hollow Knight got a few tweaks, flukenest charm nerfed and I'm sure a whole loving lot more which will eventually be compiled.

edit: discord says that stalking devouts in Deepnest got nerfed, only 1 damage and less hp

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Mar 24, 2018

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Stalking devouts being nerfed is lame. I liked that they were insanely tough enemies and it felt appropriate for the apex predators of the area.

More importantly I wanted to watch my brother get destroyed by them when he played the Switch release :mad:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Imo the hp nerf is justified but the damage nerf is dumb.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That looks cool and I dig the dialogue. The bees and mantises (mantii?) were pretty cool dudes all things considered.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I am perfectly okay with the nerf to those guys. It's true they probably didn't really need it, but at the same time the difficulty spike they are the first time you run up to hit one in its face was too much. Maybe speedruns will all be like 10 seconds faster as a result :haw:

Now to wait for patch notes in hopes of an explanation. I want the devs to settle this one.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Andrigaar posted:

I am perfectly okay with the nerf to those guys. It's true they probably didn't really need it, but at the same time the difficulty spike they are the first time you run up to hit one in its face was too much. Maybe speedruns will all be like 10 seconds faster as a result :haw:

Now to wait for patch notes in hopes of an explanation. I want the devs to settle this one.

They fixed the bug where opening a menu causes you to fall faster so I think it'll be a net increase in time.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm surprised they nerfed the damage on those guys. The two damage was what made/kept them interesting tbh.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 25, 2018

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah that nerf seems unwarranted. Deepnest should be terrifying, and it's not like they're especially difficult to dispose of safely once you learn how they work.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
As long as they leave my bae the Primal Aspid untouched, we cool.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Jerusalem posted:

That looks cool and I dig the dialogue. The bees and mantises (mantii?) were pretty cool dudes all things considered.

As far as I can tell the only new dialogue there is Vespa's first line.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

fractalairduct posted:

As far as I can tell the only new dialogue there is Vespa's first line.

I recognized the later lines but not the earlier ones, but I probably just forgot v:shobon:v

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

So I just went to check out the new boss. seems like every enemy in hive has been buffed. hivelings are almost twice as big, hive guardians now hit for two damage. husks spawn four hivelings on death, pretty sire it was three before. unrelated, but it seems like you now also need grimmchild equipped to fight Nightmare King.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Nightmare King himself seems to have been nerfed slightly to make up for this, he staggers more often and I think his attacks are coming marginally slower, though that could just be me finally getting used to the fight.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
This update is the bee's knees.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
There are also a lot of new enemy sounds. You can tell because the mixing is super off and all the new clips are super loud. Bretta mutters to herself now, too, probably to draw the player's attention more.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

GenericOverusedName posted:

This update is the bee's knees.

You son of a bitch. You stole my post you son of a bitch

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pigbuster posted:

There are also a lot of new enemy sounds.

So long as they don't touch BRAAVA! I'm good.

George Lazenby
Jan 12, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Stalking devouts being nerfed is lame. I liked that they were insanely tough enemies and it felt appropriate for the apex predators of the area.

More importantly I wanted to watch my brother get destroyed by them when he played the Switch release :mad:

Wait, what? Lol, that's completely unintentional if true. Those guys are supposed to feel really tough! Is this happening for everyone? I'll un-nerf them for next patch (three damage maybe...?)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

George Lazenby posted:

Wait, what? Lol, that's completely unintentional if true. Those guys are supposed to feel really tough! Is this happening for everyone? I'll un-nerf them for next patch (three damage maybe...?)

This is just what I've heard, I haven't tested myself but apparently they only do one damage now. Maybe I should take discord info with a grain of salt. :v:

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 25, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Update got me doing another playthrough. Man this game is so drat good. There're a lot of indie Metroidvanias but none of them have a world as consistently beautiful and engrossing as Hollow Knight's. The City of Tears in particular is an area that always impressives me with its atmosphere and design, I love just how many areas connect to it and how many paths you can choose to follow from this point onwards.

Has anyone ever made a diagram or something showing all the progression routes you can take in this game? It must be a lot.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Augus posted:

Update got me doing another playthrough. Man this game is so drat good. There're a lot of indie Metroidvanias but none of them have a world as consistently beautiful and engrossing as Hollow Knight's. The City of Tears in particular is an area that always impressives me with its atmosphere and design, I love just how many areas connect to it and how many paths you can choose to follow from this point onwards.

Has anyone ever made a diagram or something showing all the progression routes you can take in this game? It must be a lot.

I was doing an exploratory run to test that recently, but I gave up fairly early on. There are some really neat things about how the map is laid out, though. Many of the progression locks in the game are only behind a single room, especially in the Crossroads, so there isn't a whole lot of backtracking. Often there will also be some kind of attainable reward (grub, geo rocks) or NPC to take the sting out of hitting a dead end. There are some very notable bits of map design I noticed, too:

- If a player knows about downslashing they can get into Fog Canyon before obtaining the dash. This lets them go all the way down to Queen's Station before they reach a gap that requires the dash. This would normally be a very long and frustrating dead-end, but instead the player is rewarded with a station, meaning that none of that progress was wasted.

- Similarly, if a player gets the lantern ASAP they can enter crystal peak early, as well. If you don't have the walljump you can't get to the higher rooms. Instead, the game guides you towards the drop into the Resting Grounds, being rewarded with a station and massive plot progression. I think none of this requires the dash, either.

- It's impossible to talk to Cornifer in the Resting Grounds. This means the player will always see his calling card that prompts the player to visit his store and buy that area's map. Because of this, the player is essentially forced to see that the map store now sells pins related to the dream nail that weren't there before, essentially guiding the player invisibly. Sorry if you've read me raving about this before but I just love it so much.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pigbuster posted:

I was doing an exploratory run to test that recently, but I gave up fairly early on. There are some really neat things about how the map is laid out, though. Many of the progression locks in the game are only behind a single room, especially in the Crossroads, so there isn't a whole lot of backtracking. Often there will also be some kind of attainable reward (grub, geo rocks) or NPC to take the sting out of hitting a dead end. There are some very notable bits of map design I noticed, too:

- If a player knows about downslashing they can get into Fog Canyon before obtaining the dash. This lets them go all the way down to Queen's Station before they reach a gap that requires the dash. This would normally be a very long and frustrating dead-end, but instead the player is rewarded with a station, meaning that none of that progress was wasted.

- Similarly, if a player gets the lantern ASAP they can enter crystal peak early, as well. If you don't have the walljump you can't get to the higher rooms. Instead, the game guides you towards the drop into the Resting Grounds, being rewarded with a station and massive plot progression. I think none of this requires the dash, either.

I'm pretty sure I did both of these on my first playthrough

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I did the downslashing, but then I left Fog Canyon as soon as I saw I couldn't get to Cornifer.

Is Forgotten Crossroads more grey than blue now? Not sure how I feel about that - I liked the contrast it had with the infection.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh hey they released an update for this? I should really go back and actually beat it...

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Awesome, The Hive is one of the coolest zones in the game and it always felt weird that it didn't have a boss. I assume this boss gates access to Hiveblood?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Awesome, The Hive is one of the coolest zones in the game and it always felt weird that it didn't have a boss. I assume this boss gates access to Hiveblood?

Yes, and the hardest part is bringing yourself to kill this extremely good and cute boy :ohdear:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
If I'm doing the flower quest and decide to be a bro and give the flower to Elderbug, I can still go back and complete it the normal way right?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

C-Euro posted:

If I'm doing the flower quest and decide to be a bro and give the flower to Elderbug, I can still go back and complete it the normal way right?

Yes you can. So anybody who doesn't give the Elderbug a pretty flower is history's greatest monster.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Did the lifeblood update remove the ability to bounce off your shade, or am I just bad at platforming?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I don't think team cherry would do something so anti-speedrun. That's an important trick.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Does Hornet acknowledge you giving her the flower yet?

Seeing some grumbling on Reddit about the blueness of the update, especially in deepnest. Not clear if it’s a bug or intended or a result of optimization changes.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hi everyone, i just started playing this game last week but i put it on hold when i heard that they were releasing a big update in a week or two. if i update now to the beta branch, will my progress carry over to when they merge it into the main release? i ask because vermintide 2 is also starting a beta branch and the developers of that game has confirmed that any progress made in the beta will be kept, so i was curious as if this is in the same boat or i should wait for the full release

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

hi everyone, i just started playing this game last week but i put it on hold when i heard that they were releasing a big update in a week or two. if i update now to the beta branch, will my progress carry over to when they merge it into the main release? i ask because vermintide 2 is also starting a beta branch and the developers of that game has confirmed that any progress made in the beta will be kept, so i was curious as if this is in the same boat or i should wait for the full release

Yes, all progress is kept intact. I just disabled beta mode to check and all my saves were there.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 29, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

Yes you can. So anybody who doesn't give the Elderbug a pretty flower is history's greatest monster.

Word, thanks. Gonna try to do that quest and then finally beat this game this weekend.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Visiting family for Easter and only have my laptop available to me so I figured I'd clean up some Hollow Knight achievements. Anyone have a good route guide for the 5 hour speedrun?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Zaggitz posted:

Visiting family for Easter and only have my laptop available to me so I figured I'd clean up some Hollow Knight achievements. Anyone have a good route guide for the 5 hour speedrun?

There’s a good basic guide on the Steam page for the old 3 hour version, should give you plenty of leeway.

e: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=878193536

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Can confirm that that's the one I used, and it's solid. I recommend going for the "optional" Pale Ore, it makes it significantly less tedious.

If you choose to try to practice a single boss before going for it, make sure it's Watcher Knights. All other bosses required for basic ending are rather easy.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

If you have the Grimm Troupe content, I'd recommend picking up the Dreamshield charm while in Resting Grounds as well. It's not far out of your way at all and it's really effective at dealing damage to enemies (although its not great against Uumuu or the Watcher Knights, since you can't hurt those a lot of the time.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Clocked in at 4 hours 3 minutes with a successful run. I ended up going on a slight detour to the nailmasters and the crystal peak/nosk pale ores just to minimize the torture of fighting the watcher knights.

Outside of those fuckers it was really fun going through the game without anything but the core upgrades, made me appreciate some of the bosses a lot more now that I'm not tearing through them or tanking hits.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 31, 2018