Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

veni veni veni posted:

With all the multiple ending talk, is this the type of thing I'm gonna miss parts of the game by stumbling on? Or is it pretty clear cut an ending is coming/can I go back and redo stuff. Planning On doing as much as I can in this game.

The only thing you can miss is the worst ending and that's if you do like, basically everything before fighting the final boss at least once. The other two endings can't be missed. Outside of that nothing is really missable in the game itself outside of two optional boss fights. One is missed if you never rescue Zote, the other is missed if you banish the Grimm Troupe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm not entirely sure what I should be doing. I'm at the part where it points you at the Dreamers and the game tells you to put them down. I think I've explored as far as I can, but I at least know there's a bunch of areas I haven't seen yet. Should I be focused on that objective or is there other stuff I can still do? I have two upgraded spells, a level 4 sword, and a decent chunk of health and soul.

Edit: Ha, I post and I immediately stumble into Queen's Gardens!

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 20, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Crystal caverns are loving rage inducing jfc. Goodbye 1000 bux.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Echophonic posted:

I'm not entirely sure what I should be doing. I'm at the part where it points you at the Dreamers and the game tells you to put them down. I think I've explored as far as I can, but I at least know there's a bunch of areas I haven't seen yet. Should I be focused on that objective or is there other stuff I can still do? I have two upgraded spells, a level 4 sword, and a decent chunk of health and soul.

Edit: Ha, I post and I immediately stumble into Queen's Gardens!

You can follow that objective whenever you'd like, whether it be right now or right before the end, but it must be done at some point! AFAIK it isn't required of anything else in the game, so feel free to explore all you'd like beforehand.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Do I need to beat a Dreamer before the Broken Vessel becomes a boss fight? I know nothing about nothing since I haven't beaten the game yet, but I've spoiled myself a little bit for the movement abilities and I remember from my aborted PC playthrough that the sickness, orange infection, whatever spreads after a certain point. Is a Dreamer death the trigger?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Bogart posted:

Do I need to beat a Dreamer before the Broken Vessel becomes a boss fight? I know nothing about nothing since I haven't beaten the game yet, but I've spoiled myself a little bit for the movement abilities and I remember from my aborted PC playthrough that the sickness, orange infection, whatever spreads after a certain point. Is a Dreamer death the trigger?

killing the first dreamer does change the crossroads into the infected crossroads, yes. I've no idea if it affects the broken vessel fight though

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm pretty sure I've found the thing in question but it's inactive. So progressing the game to that stage seems like it'd be what lets me acquire the item.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

You can do them in any order although it's pretty difficult (not impossible!) to reach one of the dreamers without double jump, and it happens after you do the first one, whichever it is.

The only thing you need to fight the broken vessel is the crystal dash and its prerequisites in order to reach him.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Darox posted:

You can do them in any order although it's pretty difficult (not impossible!) to reach one of the dreamers without double jump, and it happens after you do the first one, whichever it is.

The only thing you need to fight the broken vessel is the crystal dash and its prerequisites in order to reach him.

I've got that thing. I could've sworn I found him. He just doesn't have the infection.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Did you try walking past him? The boss fight doesn't trigger until you get into the room.

He becomes infested as part of a scene introducing the fight, you'll know it has started when orange blobs pour in from everywhere

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
That. Could’ve done it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does the Dream Nail actually do any damage? If the answer to that is super spoilery I can hold off, but it looks like it just let's you talk to enemies ? I walked away with it thinking it was a charge attack but it seems to be something else entirely.

Also, I want to say. gently caress smashy pillars, every enemy type in the crystal cave, and also those flying lance guys in the city :mad:

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

If you hit an enemy with it you get a decent chunk of soul. You get even more if you have the charm equipped. It's pretty impractical to do without the charm but it has its uses.

It's actually really good for cheesing the dream version of the False Knight. With the flukewurm charm and other spell upgrades you can reliably knock him down with a full volley of flukes, then dream nail his head a couple times to restore all your soul before smacking his face, letting you repeat it again once he gets up.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Darox posted:

Something that took me a while to realize is that you can do the dive while standing on the ground (the knight hops up a short way and immediately slams back down) and that it has a huge number of invincibility frames. You're invulnerable for all but the very start of dive and for a long time after the impact.

It also does a lot of damage, descending dark wrecks enemies.

Huh, I had no idea you could do this, and I've played this game enough to get every currently available achievement on steam. :v:

... Not that I needed an excuse to get lost in the game again whenever the third dlc comes out, mind. It really is something special. :toot:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Does the Dream Nail actually do any damage? If the answer to that is super spoilery I can hold off, but it looks like it just let's you talk to enemies ? I walked away with it thinking it was a charge attack but it seems to be something else entirely.

Also, I want to say. gently caress smashy pillars, every enemy type in the crystal cave, and also those flying lance guys in the city :mad:

It does not. It does give you soul if you hit enemies with it, though. And it's not so much talking as reading their minds.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

If it looks vaguely like a creature at all, even a dead or artifical one, you should try to Dream Nail it.

Unless it's a friendly ghost don't do that.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The dream nail saved my bacon a couple times, if you're low on health and around a relatively immobile enemy you can just spam it until you've got full soul.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

veni veni veni posted:

gently caress smashy pillars, every enemy type in the crystal cave, and also those flying lance guys in the city :mad:

BRAVAAA :black101:

bewilderment posted:

If it looks vaguely like a creature at all, even a dead or artifical one, you should try to Dream Nail it.

I'm in Crystal Peak right now, and just learned that you can Dream Nail the mining drone(?) where you get the Crystal Heart. Neat!

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Love this game but do not like the map mechanic of having to buy the compass, markers, find the map guy, etc. I could do without that whole thing and just having a SOTN style minimap that you don't have to worry about. There are also too few benches in some areas. I'm an old, grumpy gamer with little patience though.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I was playing and enjoying this on the pc and moved to switch. Here's what I think:

The game really looks better on the smaller screen of the switch. Maybe the 25 inch monitor I use for the game on the pc is just too large: the cartoony graphics were clearly 'meant' to be viewed at a certain size. I don't have any weird scaling stuff going on with the PC. The game just looks way, way better on switch.

Also I was using a gamepad with a bad d-pad: the steam controller. Moving to the switch joycons with the joycon dpad rather than the joystick, is so, so much better. I also found I used to sometimes panic-mash the heal button on the steam controller. Not doing that here on the switch.

Overall: get the switch version

Other findings: don't use the steam controller. If I play this on the PC again I'll plug in a ds3 or a ds4.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I have 154 of 156 enemies in my journal, no idea what the last two are. Does Nightmare King Grimm take a slot? Because I banished them and would be really annoyed if that meant I could never finish the journal.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
did you kill the crying grub next to failed champion? I mean morally you shouldnt, but it is in the journal.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

No Wave posted:

did you kill the crying grub next to failed champion? I mean morally you shouldnt, but it is in the journal.

Thanks, that was one of them. One more mystery creature!

Fickle Isthmus
Aug 2, 2003

I've not turned up yet 'ave I?
Beat my second boss last night. Hornet, I already loved the game but being able to dash is so much fun. Not only to get to previously inaccessible areas, but just to move around more quickly.

I immediately had the urge to backtrack to areas I visited, but held off because it was late and I didn't want to play too long. An hour later I finally put the game down. I love this poo poo, it is the perfect mix of challenging and chill/gloomy atmosphere. Sucked in.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Regarding the earlier confusion about the MW, yes, you need to beat one of the big three first for its fight to trigger.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If you mean the Monarch Wings fight, then no you don't. I beat it up yesterday and haven't found any of the Dreamers yet.

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Beating the trial of the fool makes u feel like a big bug boss balla

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yes.
The trigger for the Crossroads change is either getting the Monarch Wings, or killing one of the big three. You can absolutely get the Monarch Wings first.
And that boss fight is always there.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Missing from this screenshot is an important item that is required for meeting any of the dreamers. You definitely do not need to do them first.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Then my game's hosed since I couldn't make the son of a gun activate without a Dreamer gone. >:[

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Thanks, that was one of them. One more mystery creature!

In case anyone was wondering the last enemy I was missing was Markoth, the warrior dream in kingdoms edge .

Now to decide if I care enough to get all the additional notes...

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
You know at the start of the game I never expected to become a Stinky snail that charges his noxious farts with his own pain

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shoehead posted:

You know at the start of the game I never expected to become a Stinky snail that charges his noxious farts with his own pain

bugs don't understand pain

but they will learn

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It's cool to see that charms do extra stuff when equipped together. This game is so drat good, it's just a shame I had to beat up a cool guy who I wanted to be friends with for this one charm.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Glad to see new blood playing the game. It totally blew me away when it came out on PC.

For those that worry about losing geo, fear not, after a while you'll find a bank you can store it in safely. :)

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Every day I hop into this thread and read people's reactions about this amazing game and it makes me want to go home and replay it but I'm really really trying to hold off until the Gods & Glory DLC so I can enjoy the new content :X

I hope everyone enjoys this game to the fullest, it's incredible.

FWIW I played it through my first time with a Steam Controller and I didn't have any issues, though I guess a proper Dpad would definitely have been nicer.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Shoehead posted:

It's cool to see that charms do extra stuff when equipped together. This game is so drat good, it's just a shame I had to beat up a cool guy who I wanted to be friends with for this one charm.

He's ok. You should go back some time

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

What's the general read: is hitting ghosts with the dream nail putting them to rest, or sucking them up into the endless void?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Considering you get essence, I've always thought you were consuming them. Most of them don't seem to upset at being ghosts, so I took it as a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I did it one time not knowing what would happen and I felt really bad about it, so I don't do it anymore.