Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I took a break from attempting hive knight and came back later with dream gate which lets you avoid the trip back on retries entirely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
drat, I forgot I even had that.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

:same: But at the same time I sort of felt bad about consuming essence so I was a hoarder - as usual.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I think the 1 essence is just there as a psychological barrier because mechanically, it’s nothing

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Oh goddamit I locked myself out of Grimm fight 2.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I mean the NPC you talk to in order to start that path lays out for you whats going to happen on both routes. And the place you go and the thing you need to do there are also very obviously going to end the Grimm Troupe.

What did you think was going to happen.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Conversely, I finally got around to unlocking NKG.

:shepface:

Darox posted:

I mean the NPC you talk to in order to start that path lays out for you whats going to happen on both routes. And the place you go and the thing you need to do there are also very obviously going to end the Grimm Troupe.

Can you talk to the NPC who does the banishing and back out of it at the last minute? I just want to see what dialogue he has.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Darox posted:

I thought it’d be a different path to the boss or a different boss. I wasn’t expecting one option to be an intentional anti-climax.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I banished NKG because it seemed like the morally correct choice. If I want to run my butt into an incredibly hard boss I can always do a replay. (2 playthroughs at least are still necessary anyways.)

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Alxprit posted:

(2 playthroughs at least are still necessary anyways.)

... Steel Soul & Glass Soul, right?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Alxprit posted:

I banished NKG because it seemed like the morally correct choice. If I want to run my butt into an incredibly hard boss I can always do a replay. (2 playthroughs at least are still necessary anyways.)

Eh, the kingdom is dead anyway, who cares if the troupe gets to dance a bit in the ruins.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Broken Cog posted:

Eh, the kingdom is dead anyway, who cares if the troupe gets to dance a bit in the ruins.

I bet you killed the nailsmith too.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Alxprit posted:

I bet you killed the nailsmith too.

Are you trying to tell me he hadn't earned it? :colbert:

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Can you talk to the NPC who does the banishing and back out of it at the last minute? I just want to see what dialogue he has.
You can talk to him in deepnest just fine; he even gives you a flame to progress towards NKG without needing to fight a torch guy. I think if you talk to him in the howling cliffs you get locked into it though. You can always check the wiki or make a copy of your save to see his dialogue.

snoremac posted:

I thought it’d be a different path to the boss or a different boss. I wasn’t expecting one option to be an intentional anti-climax.
Brumm tells you straight up "you can continue the flame collecting and fight NKG or you can stop all that with me" in deepnest and then he asks you to go back to the thing that started the Grimm Troupe and destroy it. By that point you've already collected flames and fought Grimm once so it should be pretty clear which path is the 'fight Grimm' path. :shrug:

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Darox posted:

You can talk to him in deepnest just fine; he even gives you a flame to progress towards NKG without needing to fight a torch guy. I think if you talk to him in the howling cliffs you get locked into it though. You can always check the wiki or make a copy of your save to see his dialogue.

You can talk to him again at the Howling Cliffs. But as soon as he starts the ceremony, just leave instead of helping him out. That's what I did, and NKG is still in his tent.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Another steel soul run cut short in Crystal Peak. This time by a pair of those flying mouse looking things that shoot crystals. I feel like if I can get past there with the new ability, it wouldn't be so hard to get Isma's Tear and the Monarch Wings, and then I could just collect tons of mask pieces and charms and weapon upgrades, and it wouldn't actually be too difficult from that point. I'll probably try again in a few days.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The crystal hunters are probably the most annoying of all the flying enemies in this game, even worse than the things in Deepnest that infinitely vomit centipedes at you.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

no way. primal aspids are worse

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Primal aspids are the worst, yeah. Even they aren't that bad once you learn how to dodge their spit.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

When you dodge a primal aspid, it stays dodged.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
You can't deflect primal aspid shots with your nail though.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

is there some meme or something about primal aspids because the developers seem to be in on the joke with mentioning designing a primal aspid boss and such but i literally have no recollection of them ever being that annoying? except maybe in the trial of the fool when there's no floor?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

is there some meme or something about primal aspids because the developers seem to be in on the joke with mentioning designing a primal aspid boss and such but i literally have no recollection of them ever being that annoying? except maybe in the trial of the fool when there's no floor?
Having watched a lot of playthroughs and well, played the game myself...

...there's just something about their attack pattern that breaks people's brains. Even the hundredth time, people will jump straight into their attacks. It's like magnets, you just can't explain that :iiam:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i guess they have a tendency to hover just out of reach but that's what the great slash is for

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Not that I know of. They hang out out of reach, aim well and have a spread shot in case you decide to dodge. They probably hit me more than anything throughout the colosseum.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

The angle of their triple-spit is such that it manages to perfectly intercept normal movement patterns. If you're waiting for and reacting to the spit it's no problem but most people are just following their own rhythm and getting hit a whole bunch.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
My first time through I almost never got hit by Primal Aspids and I didn't get the fuss. My second time through I absolutely could not stop getting tagged by the spit. I have no idea what changed but if you don't have a plan to deal with them figured out they're a big pain in the rear end.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
How in the world do you get to the Pale Lady? The way to the only path I have left is blocked by a black geyser but I need to get through there to get the thing to get past that?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

How in the world do you get to the Pale Lady? The way to the only path I have left is blocked by a black geyser but I need to get through there to get the thing to get past that?

You need shade cloak to get through the void gates, but you only need the king’s brand to get to shade cloak, not kingsoul/voidheart. Go fight Hornet.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Darox posted:

Brumm tells you straight up "you can continue the flame collecting and fight NKG or you can stop all that with me" in deepnest and then he asks you to go back to the thing that started the Grimm Troupe and destroy it. By that point you've already collected flames and fought Grimm once so it should be pretty clear which path is the 'fight Grimm' path. :shrug:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Ive decided to fire this game back up to finish off the trial of the fool and yeah- gently caress primal aspids. they’re the one enemy that actually gets under my skin in this game

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Beat this - loved it to bits. It makes me wanna play another Metroidvania immediately so I bought Castlevania SOTN. It’s probably my fave 2017 game (alongside Prey) and the first game in a while where the sense of adventure is so good.

Aside from a few bosses I came to late and cheesed, the Hollow Knight is the only one I beat first time! It’s oddly generous with healing time and everything’s pretty telegraphed.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Just beat Path of Pain. Is it called that cause of how much your hands hurt after trying to get through it?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

snoremac posted:

Beat this - loved it to bits. It makes me wanna play another Metroidvania immediately so I bought Castlevania SOTN. It’s probably my fave 2017 game (alongside Prey) and the first game in a while where the sense of adventure is so good.

Aside from a few bosses I came to late and cheesed, the Hollow Knight is the only one I beat first time! It’s oddly generous with healing time and everything’s pretty telegraphed.

I am kind of jonesing for a SOTN port to Switch myself. I've played it before but I haven't played it to death -- I only really played the 360 port -- and I'd love to play it again.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

guppy posted:

I am kind of jonesing for a SOTN port to Switch myself. I've played it before but I haven't played it to death -- I only really played the 360 port -- and I'd love to play it again.

I really just want a collection of all of the SOTN style CV (SOTN, the GBA Games, the DS games etc.) in one package for Switch. I'd be over the moon, or the circle of the moon I guess.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

skasion posted:

You need shade cloak to get through the void gates, but you only need the king’s brand to get to shade cloak, not kingsoul/voidheart. Go fight Hornet.

Oh gently caress me I've had that forever.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Beat this a few days ago. The only major things I didnt do that I know of is the last Trial of the Fool, the 2nd Grimm boss because I did the good ending because I wanted to, and the Real Final Boss because on my 2nd attempt I wanted to see what would happen if I just kept hitting him while Hornet was holding him and then I killed him and the game ended.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mabels big day posted:

Beat this a few days ago. The only major things I didnt do that I know of is the last Trial of the Fool, the 2nd Grimm boss because I did the good ending because I wanted to, and the Real Final Boss because on my 2nd attempt I wanted to see what would happen if I just kept hitting him while Hornet was holding him and then I killed him and the game ended.

For the last one you can still do it. Loading your file puts you back at your last bench save

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I killed NKG and finished the trial of the fool. Got the hunters mark. that fake out was great. now it’s just the path of pain... also a few mask shards, maybe a charm notch, and whatever’s going on with mr mushroom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Started a new file this past week, have gotten everything now except Zote fights 6-10.