Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

There seems to be implication that Radiance-bugs are basically feral, and maybe they always were before Pale King came along and uplifted civilization, but it could also be that he just introduced like...society, and buildings, and engineering or w/e. The Moth tribesfolk and the tablets in Greenpath seem to suggest that there was at least some semblance of order before the Pale King.

I feel like I have a pretty good handle on the cosmology and sequence of events, who did what and who was where. My favorite little thing is the Great Knights. Of the the Pale King's five Great Knights: Hegemol's armor is definitely the armor the maggot/False Knight is wearing, so he's likely dead. The Grey Mourner is definitely Ze'mer. Isma's likeness is in Isma's shrine, I guess. Ogrim is the Dung Defender. Drya is the dead knight outside the White Lady's chambers, presumably died fighting the Traitor Mantis faction. The White Lady doesn't seem to know she's dead though, so maybe it 'just happened' when you arrive? Or maybe she's just that isolated.

The one thing I'm having trouble figuring is where the White Lady fits exactly. Feels obvious to say she is the 'Queen' in Queen's garden & Queen's station, but then I saw someone arguing that the Radiance was the Pale King in another post so I guess nothing is too obvious.

My question is what is she/where does she fit in? The tablet in Greenpath leading to her gardens states that 'these were formerly our lands but the creature there does not share our dream.' Most of the Greenpath tablets seem to be Radiance-written (or from his followers), so that would suggest that the White Lady was maybe something that was separate from the Radiance, perhaps even before the Pale King came along. She seems like she might be a similar being as the Radiance, as the reason she has bound herself, she says, is because she says she at times feels tempted by the 'same urge to spread her seeds and cover and consume everything' or w/e. Or maybe it's just because she's a plant-based creature, idk!

Also, I saw some people saying other things but we all agree p. much that Herrah wanted a child, and as payment for her service as a Dreamer, the Pale King used his little Void Workshop to create Hornet, right? She's not created as an empty vessel like the proto-Hollow Knights, though, she's created as an actual being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

See, I got 100% but I missed the Unn stuff almost entirely except for 'this lake' 'this thing' 'this charm'. I guess it made sense to me that plant creatures would worship light, because photosynthesis etc., and the Moss Prophet/Moss Vagabonds stuff being definitely Radiance worshippers. And most of the 'share our dream' stuff seemed like Radiance-worshipper type stuff, since the Radiance was 'a dream' that filled the minds of bugs. So Unn-folk, White Lady, Radiance-moths, were all separate pre-Pale King stuff maybe?

Internet Kraken posted:

Where is there any indication that the Radiance created any bugs other than the moths?
I didn't think Radiance was limited to the moths pre-Pale King, just that he came from among them? You might be right.

quote:

As for the White Lady, I think she's some another deity like power that intentionally restrained herself. I think she's a fungus, based on her appearance and ability to spread and reproduce without needing a partner. I think she restrained herself to control that desire because she likes the civilization created by the Wyrm (which is the Pale King) and wants to preserve. If she grew wild and consumed everything then the world would be much like one dominated by the Radiance.
I kinda like the reading of White Lady as a fungus sorta thing, I think, but the plant-association seems real strong, and maybe a little 'duh' but seems like they'd link her to the Fungal stuff in the game at some point, but she's pretty firmly entrenched with the Gardens and Greenpath. But yes, I agree about the restraint.
e: and as that guy points out, 'root'.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 1, 2017

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Yeah, I got what you meant, I can see it too when I look at her

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Who are the other people our fungal friend is speaking to?

some of his mushroom friends, I guess. They got kids and warriors and ogres, so they got some sorta structure.

Also Hallownest's Crown, on top of the Crystal Peak, could be a moth village or something? Definitely have that big Radiance statue which says 'Remember... Light...' when you nail it. But is there a Radiance/Crystal connection? Various NPCs talk about the crystals having light and a source of heat inside them, as well as whispers and dreams. Myla (the mining bug) certainly got all radiance'd up, but could just be from being in the Crossroads. otoh, Hallownest seemed to mine and use them for all sorts of stuff, including as energy.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

JuniperCake posted:

You have those "friends" who kindly invite you to take a seat. Since those who are infected don't seem to be the types to take the time to talk to you nor have the wits to try to trap you, I wonder what their deal was. Maybe they were just hungry? Man though, Deepnest is really cool but I wish more stuff was fleshed out there. That huge city with only like two buildings to explore was kinda a let down.

I'd have to play those scenes again but I'm pretty sure those are all like, puppeted husks and not actually living bugs.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I feel like the madness is a side-effect of resisting the influence, not something that is innate to worshiping/acknowledging the Radiance. There isn't really any evidence that supports the idea that the Radiance is a megalomaniac who demands every being worships her exclusively, she just seems to not want to be locked away and forgotten. We don't really have any evidence of what life was like before the Pale King, but we do know there were civilizations before him, so maybe things weren't that bad and he has just played it up to justify his usurpation of the throne. The Infection seems more like a side of effect of trying to deny that The Radiance exists, and not specifically a malicious act by the Radiance.

This is like, a weird level of apologia. Like I can get the idea of unreliable narrators, but at a certain point you have to sort of accept that IN GENERAL, some things people say are VAGUELY accurate, especially without any particular evidence or detailing of some deliberate Great Lie or propaganda effort.

This idea that you just go crazy because you don't acknowledge the Radiance, and that the Infection isn't a malicious act, or w/e just ascribes... weird traits to the setting and plot, and sort of removes agency from the Radiance. And this idea that the Pale King is some malevolent tyrant that caged the humble sun-moth is just... not really supported by anything else? If you're going to take a single line from a goofy character like Mister Mushroom and interpret 'thrall' as in literally enslaved, or take the fantasy notion of a king and interpret as a harsh and brutally stratified feudal system where he is crushing the peasant class beneath foot, then I feel like you're kinda of ignoring the overwhelming fondness virtually every single NPC has for the Pale King/the Pale King's era/everything about Hallownest.

Also, given that the process of creating void servants and void vessels to contain the Radiance seems like it came after Hallownest was good and properly established, I don't think the binding the Radiance into the Hollow Knight came until after Hallownest was established.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Dont go through fog canyon

I just went through Resting Grounds, Crossroads, Greenpath, Garden

edit: For the last boss, I just went Joni's, Lifeblood core, Fragile Strength. I don't like using spells so I didn't do the shaman stone/abyss shriek thing. You have so much life you can just get in Hollow KNight's grill and chop him up and you'll get to the end of the fight before you run out of life probably. Your life refills for Radiance. And on Radiance, the other guy was right, the fight is just focus on dodging, and don't be greedy with trying to get damage in unless it's safe.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 5, 2017

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I noticed Nosk has its own track on the soundtrack which sort of stood out too.

The Mask Maker was the one I wanted to learn more about/do something with, but I understand the puprose he serves already. I just wanna hear more about the role of masks in the game.

Excited for the DLC. I'v been a bit busy since I got 100%, but I've been replaying on Steel Soul mode

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

George Lazenby posted:

Haha man, thanks everyone! Heaps nice to hear you're enjoying the game. I've spent today doing dull business accounting stuff and bug fixes, so reading everyone's kind words is a nice pick-me-up. Gotta smash through this stuff so I can get back to the Hidden Dreams stuff.

We haven't done any write-ups or anything unfortunately. I considered it during development, but we just didn't have any time to dedicate to it. Also, this is our first proper game so I wasn't all that confident we could write anything particularly educational - a lot of the game was kinda put together on the fly and lots of it was based on intuition rather than particularly careful planning.

Haha, the Grub is me! I just did a Pikmin impression. Most of the voices in the game are me, Ari or Makoto (Ari's partner, the voice of Hornet). I had heaps of fun doing all the enemies and monsters and stuff, like the fluke monsters in the waterways and those mummies down in the crypts. Doing the Collector was great fun as well.

Hehe, that was me again! Another extremely fun voice to do.

Hmm, dunno. A lot of the voice work in the game (that we couldn't do ourselves) are just friends and family in our office's tiny kitchenette-thing. My Mum did a few, like the White Lady and Marmu - as a backer, she got to pick the design for Marmu so she sent us a photo of this dude:

My girlfriend did Iselda (the mapper's wife) - it was a sweltering Aussie Summer day, we were recording in a tiny room, and we had to turn the air con off so it wouldn't drown out the recording. We kept recording lines over and over, with me constantly telling her to sound more bored. So that bored/exasperated/irritated tone you get when you speak to Iselda is the real deal!

this entire post is fabulous and i love it... The grubs are adorable, i love this game. I sort of had an idea that it was a small project but not quite this small. Like others have said, it's easily my single-player GotY, and probably of the past couple of years. I'm a huge fan of the genre, and the aesthetic, the lore, the gameplay, everything, just feels so great. I'm trying not to gush but thank you, and everyone else who was involved!

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I might be alone in this, but I really don't mind this. Or the limited fast travel options. Moving through the game environments, even if it's not for the first time, is part of a thing I enjoy. Places or spots with enemies that seemed slightly tricky before, you now dance around with ease, sections that you progressed through with plodding careful jumps before you can just breeze through fluidly. Basically, getting better at the game makes movement more fluid, and that makes traveling in itself feel good, for me anyway.

Basically any exploration game for me relies on it being fun to move around. The recent Tomb Raider games have felt fun to move around and do stuff in, so that's good. Not really an exploring game but Mirror's Edge has a similar quality of 'the better you are, the faster you go, and the more slick you look while doing it'.

Similarly, backtracking and remembering those nooks and crannies, feels like putting a jigsaw puzzle together, but if it's all clearly marked, then it just feels like doing a checklist.

I totally understand that most people don't get that out of the game, though

One thing I also like is, not really skips, but tricks. There's a few spots where you can lure a Vengefly to the right spot and bounce off his head to go to places you're supposed to need double jump or dash for. I haven't found any sequence breaking stuff or anything, but you can do stuff like go directly to Hornet before doing the rest of Greenpath or get a few grubs and charms earlier. I was tickled because this is a thing you can do in a lot of Castlevanias with enemies like imps.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Oh, and if it's not too much, who voiced Myla? My pals all love the singing.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Xaris posted:

Those flying red bugs that fire those 3 shots that somehow always manage to hit me may be the most annoying and worst enemies in this game. loving laser accuracy there and always flying too far out of reach.

Yeah, I got 100%, did all the optional stuff, and I'm playing through steel soul mode and I'd consider myself pretty adept and agile but the primal aspids (those things) still somehow tag me every time.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

JuniperCake posted:

That's the nice thing about the game though. Once you learn something, it feels pretty easy to repeat it and there is definitely a clear sense of progression in learning how to move and navigate through challenges. Not just getting new skills but the game is always actively putting you in new situations where you have to learn to use your existing skills just a bit better. I think that might be why White Palace is jarring. Everything up to that point is really organic and streamlined but the white palace, in terms of the sudden ramp in difficulty, and that the platform is very different than the base game might throw people off. I still liked it though.

This is how I feel. Nail bouncing, etc. is all super easy after a bit, and while I'm not back to the White Palace in my Steel Soul playthrough, everything else has seemed so much easier, and it's a bit of a relief to not be flailing about. I get to make my lil Vessel look like a real pro~

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Applewhite posted:

See I'm a fan of the multi-phase fight. I was honestly disappointed that Hollow Knight didn't bust out a "Final Form" on me, so to speak. Ofc THE RADIANCE made up for it but at the time HK was kind of a letdown.

I'm definitely a sucker for the boss seeming like he's dead and then metamorphosing into something awesome and terrifying.

I think that is part of the point. You're supposed to feel disappointed if you just woke the dreamers and fought the Hollow Knight, skipping tons of zones. It's like if you just beat Richter in SotN and thought that was it.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Counterpoint: White Palace owned and was another interesting segment in a series of cool and good things in this game.

The White Palace Discourse is eternal.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Are you playing on keyboard? How are the controls not tight enough?

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Augus posted:

To anyone who got stuck in White Palace: Did you know that you could pogo off the spikes by attacking downwards? Doing that probably alleviated a lot of the difficulty for me.

There's actually a few segments that are wholly skippable by bouncing off the spear-looking obstacles.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

I didn't know this until after I'd beaten the entire game cause its never something you have to do. I knew you could pogo off enemies but I just assumed that wouldn't work on spikes cause otherwise you'd be able to trivialize some platforming.

There's actually a ton of spots where you can get stuff before having dash or double jump just by bouncing across spikes. I'm pretty sure there's a spike-jumping spot to reach grub too?
It doesn't work on all spikes - stuff like the thorns in greenpath/gardens. You can always check by slashing with your nail and if they clink and bounce you back, they're a viable bouncing type.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

My tip for Soul Master early on is to be patient with when you hit him, and only take safe hits. There's no clock so just chill out at like the left side and take your time. You can get yourself in trouble if you just try to flail at him and move too much.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

don't listen to that guy

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Just in case anyone was curious, they're going to be running Hollow Knight at SGDQ on July 4th around 9AM EST. Will be an any % run.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

gosh, I learned a lot from the Speedrun. Didn't even realize you could just walk away from False Knight lol

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

It took me forever to find Kingdom's Edge, for whatever reason. I knew I had a bunch left to go because I had a bunch of missing stuff but it took me forever to even find Kingdom's Edge (I'd missed the Tram Pass)

As an aside note, inspired by GDQ, I looked up the guide and route for Any% Glitchless Run and managed to finish it in 2:37 :toot: Even with pretty precise explanation of the inputs, some of those skips/tricks are incredibly hard to pull off.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I mean just about everyone's presence is subdued, since there's very little direct exposition, and you rarely interact directly with just about anyone - even the ones you do talk to, few but the Moth and Hornet directly tell you 'hey, this is what's up.' All the dreamers have enough stuff around them, and in their snippets of text, that you can sort of get an implication of their situation and what would have driven them to sacrifice themselves. Spelling it out anymore would be sort of heavy-handed, I think.

Herrah bound herself due to a bargain made with the King for a child. Lurien is a devout believer in the king - probably especially because she's a prominent figure in high society in Hallownest, Monomon was a scholar who feared an end of diversity in thought (but possibly regretted creating a static and unchanging world? Hard to tell from sentence fragments)

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Entropy238 posted:

those lovely xbox 360 controllers.

how dare you

I've been doing Watcher Knights with 5 masks and the 2nd nail upgrade and no charms except Shaman Stone, and it is really really hard but I'm getting better.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Some folks found a new hidden room, maybe added with a recent patch?

VITRUVIAN GRUB, from near Collector's place.

Also, I found a (new to me) scene when I killed Herrah last, and even waited until after beating Hornet and getting the King's brand. When I came out of Herrah's dream, Hornet was waiting there to talk to me and tell me some stuff about her mom...

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jul 9, 2017

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

re: the controls, I've been doing speed running and there's guys who consistently do almost frame perfect stuff like:

Which, admittedly, I've only managed to do once in repeated tries. So take that as what you will

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Has anyone tried transforming in front of these?

What is transforming? If you mean focusing, then I have, yes.

In other news, I got my last achievement, Happy Couple, along with...

100% completion, Steel Soul mode, just over 11 hours. :toot: I also went back and found all the White Palace secret rooms and checked on some stuff I'd sorta glanced over during my first 100% on regular.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Good lord, just continue to learn new things about this game
Didn't realize False Knight's macehead is actually a bug, and it has dream nail text.
Also found a neat White Palace room, Has a chair used by White Lady (her silhouette is marked into the chair) next to a crib. Probably a crib for Hornet, based on her conversation that references Hornet. Suppose this means White Lady cared for Hornet after Herrah went in for her Big Nap. THE LORE, I can't get enough of it

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Justin_Brett posted:

Trial of the Fool is loving garbage. What does this prove exactly? Why is there a boss you can only practice on if you spend ten minutes slogging through waves that are not difficult at all?

The boss is cake. I'm wondering how you think that's a boss you need practice on, but you didn't find like at the very least, the walls-only part kind of difficult

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Unfortunately, God Tamer and her beast don't have any special dream nail dialogue, which is a shame.
Up side, I noticed God Tamer's beast seems to be the same creature as the big one in the background of Queen's Garden.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

God Tamer has generic husk dialogue (same as any of the husk enemies you hit), and her mount has generic Beast dialogue (as any of the animal kinda beasts you hit). No idea on the Traitor Lord or Mantis Traitors, but I'll check them in the future.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

There's a few different ways to soft lock the last boss unfortunately! They've fixed some.

Hiveblood and Womb stuff seem like a wasted slot. I love Mark of Pride but it isn't too great for Radiance imo since the hitbox is pretty big.

When first trying the fight, I think it's important to focus on dodging more than dealing damage, because all that stuff hurts a lot, and you can get into a bad situation where one hit leads to another!!

Good way to help yourself out is like, stacking Joni's Blessing and Lifeblood Core and just getting a ton of life - the transition from Hollow KNight to Radiance refills all your health anyway, and that gives you a ton of cushion.

Then use your last charm slots on either Shaman Stone or Fragile Strength, depending if you want to use Abyss Shriek or your nail more. Keep in mind Fragile Strength WILL break if you die without quitting out!

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I dislike that charm a lot and it's baby tickling slashes tbh... Depends on playstyle. Only time I can suggest it is the Flower quest for being extra super safe if you want

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

Those "baby tickling slashes" scale with your nail damage. Half your standard attack damage at range is nothing to sniff at.

Samopsa posted:

Quick slash and fragile strength makes it quite potent!

you know what else scales with your nail damage
your nail damage

just kill things with your nail and enjoy all the sick nasty glorious movement options that let you dance around like a boss, and doing less damage in any way means it takes longer

like I said, it entirely depends on your playstyle, and everyone has their own playstyle!!! there's no wrong way to play
but if you're feverishly dabbing your brow as you stop to plink down that knight or w/e, you're absolutely playing this game wrong
the game is way more enjoyable if you slide into encounters slick like. imo.

The best way to use Grubberfly's, if you're going to use it at all, is to equip Fury of the Fallen and get yourself to 1 health, and enjoy your red slashies. And then you have an actual excuse for playing carefully.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Sounds like you're bad

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Mymla posted:

It differs in the fine details, with IWBTG being intentionally made as a parody, whereas WP just happens to be poo poo, but in the end it's the same kind of tedious precision platforming as IWBTG.

That's what I mean, IWBTG is just taking the piss, whereas WP is being 100% sincere.

The things he pointed out were more than fine details, but if White Palace is taking you hours then that might be a you thing.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I don't really like the compass bit but at the same time, I kinda get it, because NOT having the compass makes you really think about your map and where you are, and it is a legit comfort trade/off thing. I've played this game to 100% twice, and beaten it for speedrunning 8 or 9 times and I still have brain pauses where I take a turn in fungal areas or w/e

I also really don't mind the Cornifer mechanic because that part where you're in a new area for the first time is really genuinely more alien and strange for it. It helps the exploration feeling. I guess I get the objections, but I liked it.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

https://twitter.com/P5ych/status/893273833506914305

they're good fans, jerry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

For anyone curious.

Dream Nail Dialogue for Grey Prince Zote:
"Dark... Light... They're nothing compared to her!"
"I'll kill you quickly! I must tend to my Queen!"