Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Hollow knight has a lot of real challenging parts that's for sure. I probably fought soul master like 50 times and don't get me started on Radiance. In my opinion games are more compelling when they are tough and you have no way to skip the tough parts. How other people play games is up to them but I think if you want to stick in an assist mode it should be explicit and not by using some overpowered in-game system that isn't clearly labeled as such. Again, in my opinion.

I think Hollow Knight might just not be the game to have challenges with no flexibility. I think exploration rewarding the player with power increases is a hallmark of metroid/metroidvania style games. It's something that's sort of present in Souls games as well. There's an immense satisfaction in overcoming something difficult through sheer skill, but there's also something I really enjoy about being able to step back, explore more, and find something hidden that gives me that extra edge.

I don't feel like the powerful charm combination is something that's made immediately obvious. It's something you have to work to get and put together yourself (unless you just look it up or are told by someone) - I think that sort of discovery or rewarding cleverness is a great part of games.

I think it's fine if you think there should be an explicit assist mode, but in my opinion that feels so much of a lazier design then allowing players to organically craft difficulty for themselves. It's way more satisfying to a player to find some new powerup, or combo, or trick that helps them overcome a challenge then to just turn the difficulty down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I finished the game around the time the first DLC dropped ( the one that added the dream warp thing) -should I start a fresh save now that all the DLC is out, or is it mostly late game content that I’d be better using my existing save to seek out?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm not sure I realized there was a world outside of Hollow Nest; I thought it was sort of like a Dark Souls thing where the world had fallen to ruin and everything had coalesced around Hollownest.