Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i enjoyed this enough to play with an un-upgraded nail for most of the game to force myself to learn most of the bosses instead of just brute forcing them. managed to clear the first ending that way, but i gave in for the third arena challenge and the failed champion (and the true ending boss), those were just a bit too long and taxing to clear without upgrades.

when i maxed my nail out all at once, i let the nailmaster live, but then i realized i wanted to check out if he had any interesting dream nail dialogue and i force quit the game to try to reset the scene. unfortunately it saves right after the nail upgrade finishes but before it flags the final choice you make with them, so now the nailmaster is stuck in the smith and the game softlocks if i try to talk to him :v: no achievements for me

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there any sort of tell for the Prince's falling attack? 90% of the time I can avoid it by dashing towards the center but than there's that one time where he lands right on me, and in a fight where you can take roughly two hits that's pretty loving annoying to lose too.

if you have the upgraded ground smash, it gives you enough invincibility frames to get out of the way even if zote lands right on your face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there really no way to consistently dodge it? That seems really lovely, given he can spam it and you won't have enough magic to use the ground pound always. I keep thinking there most be some way to always dodge it but I have no clue what it would be.

as near as i can tell his landing point is completely random. if your reflexes are inhuman maybe you can wait until you see him and dodge as necessary? also it's conceivable that you can tell by his voice whether hes landing on the left or right, but my speakers aren't good enough for me to tell for sure

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Iretep posted:

The seer gives you a pale ore if you collect 300 essence though most of the ghosts you can beat can be hard so might not be the best option. The rest need upgrades you dont have yet or finding places you probably havent been in yet. Deepnest has one but i cant remember if you can access it yet.

you can access deepest immediately after getting the mantis claws, if you want. you might not want, admittedly

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
neither is necessary. the trial of the fool is, though. you also need to talk to the seer with 2400 essence. those are the most obscure i can think of off the top of my head

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the maggot pits in deepnest should be replaced with buzzsaw piles

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
with how bleak the game is overall i was half expecting the last stag to die at some point and leave me walking the stagways alone

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i tried to clear the game with no sword upgrades when i first played it through and the failed champion was the only part I couldn't clear. i just couldn't figure out a way to safely get hits in without getting clobbered by the mace

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I can't decide between Celeste, Cuphead, or Ori and the Blind Forest for my next foray into a 2D game.

it's none of those actually

get rain world instead

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
it's a shame the sequence breaking in hollow knight is so limited. you can get the shade dash first thing after the mantis claws, which opens up a lot of alternate pathways through the game, but eventually you get stuck at the teacher's archives where you need the crystal dash, so you end up having to explore most of the map areas to finish the game anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

i want to know the don quixote bug's deal