Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

SirPhoebos posted:

Just finished this game over the weekend. One of the best 2d platformers I've played in a long time.

Also, Dung Defender is awesome, even though I'm unclear on what the switch after you fight him does.

It lowers the acid level which opens up the room that holds the acid-resistance item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I wish Hollow Knight had a Homeward Bone item instead of a warp. I'm hoping to get the 100 under 20 Hours achievement and quitting and reloading saves so much backtracking to the relic-merchant. I'm around 80 percent after 8 hours, what are the best times here?

I know the bestiary isn't tied to completion but it feels like padding as hell when you have to kill an enemy more than once to get a complete journal entry.

It's amazing how the Hollow Knight's design hasn't changed at from it's first appearance in that crappy hard-to-run gamejam thing.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 16, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You can get 100 percent and skip the 6 percent that's most annoying or hardest in Steel Mode. Also Salubra will only sell her blessing when you got 40 charms, up from 36.

Some charms take up the same slot, and thus completion only counts for the one charm. The Void Heart replaces the Kingsoul, there are two mutually exclusive charms depending on how you you resolve the Grimm Troupe, and I believe the three Unbreakable charms are missable. The only other missables in the game is one relic in the Abyss and several NPC interactions.

I'm on PC with a Nvidia card. Is there any proper way to stop the horrid screen-tearing?

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 16, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I wonder if when Update 3 comes out and brings possible completion to possibly 110% they'll add in achievements to get that number on speedrun or steel-soul, just to render your other achievements null and chide you for thinking you could skip the Trial of the Fool, the White Palace, or any Dream bosses.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

One further update and then the Hornet paid-expansion.

I wish the Radiance did single mask damage, or dealt the same damage but there was a checkpoint after that tedious fight with the Hollow Knight. I hate having to drudge through the same stuff again-and-again just to learn a boss's attack pattern. I had the same gripe with Blackflame F_____in DS3. The Metroid 2 remake had the Metroids much tougher than the original, but this was countered by dying only setting you back to the door of the boss room and the speedrun clock not accounting for your deaths.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 22, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If you give a fragile charm to the Troupe vendor and then banish the Troupe, does that mean you've screwed yourself out of both the charm and the completion-percentage?

I'll do a cleanup on achievements after Update 3 but I really hate having to fill out the Hunter's Journal. It's a good thing you don't fight him because then you would have a boss fight that's locked behind hours of grinding.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's certainly that odd that you get 1 level of Super Meat Boy after 15 levels of Metroid. There's nothing this intense except the quest for the flower.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Crystal Guardian 2 ranks down there with the Grey Sleeper's quest as stuff I will hold off as long as possible. I never used strategy on him I just whaled on him with whatever charm-combo meant I could win through attrition.

Has there been a good flowchart that lays out the critical path of the game, as well as side content, like how some guides did with Super Metroid and Zero Mission?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Given that the 20-hour 100 achievement has leeway in what you can skip I wonder if Team Cherry will add a sadistic trophy which asks you to get 110, fill out the bestiary, beat the path of pain, and do it all on a speed run and permadeath mode, just to gently caress with people.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Have they patched the relic-merchant into letting you sell stuff in bulk?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I never did like the healing-system. You recover health from the same pool as magic spells, which discouraged me from using spells. You can only recover one mask at a time at a slow speed, without charms. I just can't time it right when to recover so I often tank hits when I really shouldn't. It makes me pine for the estus-system from Dark Souls, or the medpacks from Hyper Light Drifter,. Just press a button in a safe-window and you get back half your health.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

For once I met the Moss Prophet while he still lives. I'm going to see how far I can go before triggering the corruption in the forgotten crossroads.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In my build for 100 again nothing in the White Palace was as bad as finding the Nailmaster in Greenpath. I genuinely hate the shade-system become it's exported from Dark Souls without good reason. Having your Soul-pool crippled is one thing but having your shade in the way of a difficult platforming challenge is just awful. In Dark Souls there was no platforming, except for the poo poo part, and losing souls on death was an incentive to spend, spend, spend. In Hollow Knight you can't forsake your shade if you wish to have a full Soul gauge, and you quickly run out of things to buy. I'm a big defender of Dark Souls 2's hollowification but this goes too far in the wrong direction.

What's also frustrating about the Greenpath challenge is if you kill a floating enemy by mistake you're very likely hosed.

While I do appreciate the developers constantly updating the game with extra bosses, it doesn't really appeal to me since I prefer my games to be a mixture of exploration, puzzles, and fighting. Isolating the one aspect and adding to that just upsets the balance. To wit I've beaten Arkham City three times and I've never bothered with the challenge-rooms, as I like the mixture of gameplay and not the fighting alone.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 23, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I did crystal dash, right into the shade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I wouldn't have minded if the new bosses were just sprinkled across the game like previous updates, and there's a small reward like an extra notch or something like Salubras blessing, and the boss rush was a fun extra you could play independent of your save. Here though getting 112 is an enormous pain as the last 5 is a huge amount of grinding though bosses in harder circumstances. I've hated mandatory boss-rushes ever since the end of Rogue Galaxy where the last boss had ten phases and if you died at any point then gently caress you, start over.

Imagine if you had to beat those two tigers in DS2 if you wanted the crown.