Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Just started playing and I have a question: I don't need to leave the compass badge thing on all the time, do I? I'm assuming I'm going to get more notches for more badges at some point. I just got the dash move from Hornet. I'm not sure what to spend my money on, especially since there's no way I'm taking off the badge that gives me extra soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Thanks friends. I found the big badge lady and bought some more notches. Next question: I died pretty far from a bench in the City of Tears and then had to go to bed. Is my Dark Soul Octopus Ghost going to be there when I play next, or does it go away when you quit out of the game?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
So, I really, really like this game several hours in, and although I am trying to appreciate getting super lost all the time and just enjoy the experience... if I could make a suggestion to improve the game, I'd just like there to be some way to know if there's a bench nearby. Oh and I would like an entire campaign around the Dung Defender. It looked like he just ran away when I beat him, please tell me I'm going to see him again.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I know this comment is probably pretty tired at this point, but it amuses me how much this game plays like Dark Souls. Every boss so far has straight up destroyed me (except for the Dung Defender, my best friend and colleague) the first two or three times I've fought it, and then I tell myself I'll try one more time before giving up and going to get more stuff and come back later. And then I beat the boss without getting hit.

They're obviously very similar in the way they tell their stories, but the main thing that reminds me of Dark Souls is that I've finally been given a task and direction (after getting the Dream Nail) but the evidence continues to mount that I might not be the good guy here, or at least the collateral damage I'm causing may not be worth it. I don't feel like things are going to end up all that well for Hollownest no matter what I do.

The thing I'm not sure about at this point is what Hornet said in the City of Tears. "If, knowing that truth, you'd still attempt a role in Hallownest's perpetuation, seek the Grave in Ash and the mark it would grant to one like you." After this, the Black Egg Temple was marked on the map. Is that the "Grave in Ash?" Or is the monument to the Dreamers in the Resting Grounds where you get the Dream Nail what she's talking about? Basically, was she pointing me to the Dreamers or to the Black Egg? I know it doesn't really matter in a practical sense but I feel like it matters if she's saying "your goal is to open this thing" or "your goal is to figure out more about what's going on."

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I realize this is a pretty difficult question to answer, but can anyone tell me how to find Cornifer in Deepnest? In Highwang’s LP he’s right near the entrance next to the Mantis Lords, but he’s not there for me (nor has he left a note). I got my rear end handed to me by the Lords early in the game so I avoided them for a long time and came into Deepnest through the Queen’s Garden and ran around lost until I found the tram pass. So then I decided to fight the Lords and come back in that way hoping to get a map, but he’s not there. I’d, like, really like a drat map.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Eopia was right, Iselda sold me the map. I had thought you had to read one of his little notes first, but I guess not! I haven't killed Herrah, either, so I'm not sure what triggered it.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I have bought everything there is to buy... is there anything I can do with all this Geo? I already got the vessel fragment from the fountain.

Also I'm assuming I'm going to have to do one of these dream boss refights, right? I'm sitting at 1200 essence and I'm not sure there are any warrior dreams left.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

JuniperCake posted:

You'll want to do one of the refights anyways. They are a good bridge in difficulty from the rest of the game and the final areas/content where the difficulty suddenly skyrockets. So it'll be decent practice.

Are any of them easier than the others? The only one I tried was the False Knight and I died in four seconds. Are they all going to be like this, where healing is just not going to happen?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I feel like I've sort of set myself up for failure in that I've gotten through a lot of bosses with being heavily reliant on Quick Focus and finding the right healing windows. I think I'm way better at platforming challenges than combat, though I'm sure the White Palace will humble me enough. Does the Dashmaster charm make the Shadow Cloak recovery faster? Does Sharp Shade (or whatever it's called that makes the void dash damage enemies)?

Two NPC questions:

Zote: I saved him the second time after going through the first tier of the Colosseum; will he be at the end of the second tier, or do I need to fight the first one again?

Cloth: Is it possible to beat the Traitor Lord without her dying, or was that scripted? I was off in the corner healing when they both died so I think it might have been scripted but I don't know.

And finally, a philosophical question about the Dream Nail: I'm not sure how I feel about eating ghosts. The warrior ghosts seem to welcome it, and for the most part the Dreamers seem to support me killing them. But, like, Cloth? All the ghosts in the graveyard in the Resting Grounds? I am not sure what I'm supposed to be believing about the bug afterlife. Cloth talked about meeting Nola... am I sending her to the afterlife, or removing her from it? This game, man...

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Bum-rushing the Vessel refight and Zote were enough to get me to 1800, so I went straight to the White Palace. It was fun! The Watcher Knights, though, them I cannot kill. I think the farthest I ever even got was three of them (and yes I dropped the chandelier). Any charm combo tips?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I beat the drat Watcher Knights with Quick Focus + Deep Focus. I've decided that they are the game's Bed of Chaos--there was just so much variance in how the fight went every single time I fought it. Two of them at a time just makes everything too unpredictable. And of course after that I went and fought Grimm and beat him on the first try (of the day, I tried a couple times before).

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
All right, took me quite a few tries, but I beat the true final boss. Thoughts on that fight: Phew. That was very busy. I think the key to it clicking for me in the end was just managing to stay calm through the second phase when the spikes start coming. It also really, really helped when I pretty much accidentally figured out that when the swords come down vertically, you can fit between two of them even without a bigger break. I tried quite a few times with some combination of Shaman Stone and trying to rush her down with Abyssal Screeches, but in the end I won by taking my time with Quick Focus + Deep Focus. I did enjoy the fact that by the time I beat her, I could beat the Hollow Knight without getting hit.

I'm overall really, really impressed with this game. I honestly don't play a whole lot of video games anymore and it's the only new game I've played in a while, so this isn't much of a comparison, but it's the best game I've played in a really long time. It absolutely nailed the kind of progression that really makes a good exploration-type game. I feel weird calling it a Metroidvania since neither Metroid nor Castlevania games really have that type of progression. They're both quite a bit more linear: get this upgrade, then go here to get the next upgrade, etc. etc. Hollow Knight--and, yes, Dark Souls--are more like: go to A, B, C, D, or E, just know that B through E will destroy you unless you know what you're doing. I started up a new game and I am amazed at how quickly I can make my way through it, not just from remembering where things are but having the skill to make it there without any trouble. I think it's really rare to see a game that's so good at teaching you how to play it.

Story thoughts: I think I've made up my mind about the whole "am I eternally killing these ghosts with the Dream Nail," and now that I've seen the Radiance, everything connected to the Dream is her, right? Every time you enter the Dream itself (e.g. when you first get the Dream Nail, when you do the refights, or when you go to kill a Dreamer), you go to the same place, which tells me it's part of the collective (sub)consciousness that everyone's talking about. And then at the end of the game, you go into the Dream, pull out your nail, and challenge the light itself, always there in the background. And then you kill it. Or the Void kills it. Or whatever. So when you cut someone off from the Dream using the Dream Nail, you're just releasing them from Radiance purgatory, right? Right?? Help me feel better about my video game decisions.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Late game story spoiler chat:

One question I had was how we were supposed to interpret the Void Heart scene. Was that a flashback? Or something else? Did the Hollow Knight look back down into the Abyss in general, or specifically at the Knight trying to climb out of it? I sort of have a feeling that we're supposed to think the Hollow Knight knows he won't be able to contain the infection. He certainly seems to be trying to help you at the end, not just with his shade attacking the Radiance directly but during his own fight when he's stabbing himself. I've watched the Path of Pain ending (on Youtube, haven't tried it yet myself) but I'm not sure what it's supposed to be telling us about him and about the King.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I died within five seconds of fighting Nosk the first time but the second time I just stood right next to the door and hit him when he ran at me. Reading the wiki, it sounds like there are a few different places in the room that he just can't get to. I do wish there was a bit more to him, since the lead up to the fight is so creepy and cool.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I only beat him a few weeks ago, so this was post-update. I didn't say I didn't get hit, but just standing next to the door gave me more than enough time to heal any damage from the goop launch when he wasn't around.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I'm sure it's been said before, but I really love reading this thread and seeing people pop in saying they're lost and seeing that they did things in an almost totally different order than I did. Seeing a couple people that get really far without getting the Dream Nail, though, tells me the developers might have done a better job sending you to the Resting Grounds. It's only there that you are finally given some sort of task to complete; before that, you're just wandering (at least after you meet Hornet in the City). I guess what I mean is that it should probably be a little bit harder to get to one of the Dreamers without first getting the Dream Nail. The Watcher Knights in particular are really hard, and I'd be pretty pissed if I spent a ton of time fighting them and then got nothing for it.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Bogart posted:

I nearly have enough thanks to the relic seeker, but I don't know if you're being serious in the way that, say, one would be like 'go to the graveyard after entering Lordran.'

Interestingly enough, grinding out a win on your first encounter of the Mantis Lords and going through the door they open is absolutely the "go to the graveyard after entering Lordran" of the game.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Two things that finally clicked for me in the Radiance fight that helped me win:

1) She is big and takes up a lot of real estate, yes, but she doesn't do any contact damage. I noticed this right away (and you probably have too) but it'll take a few fights to really get used to it, since you've spent the whole game carefully managing the distance between you and bosses.

2) The most important thing: you can fit between any two swords coming down vertically, not just where there's a gap. Once you get the spacing down, it makes that whole attack an opening for you to either attack (if she's right above you) or, more importantly, heal with Quick Focus.

The Radiance is really hard. I think it's a really well done* final boss, pretty much requiring you to put together everything you've learned about playing the game. There are lots of different ways to approach her with charm loadouts, but I'll say that I didn't have much success with being overly defensive. There are spots to heal with Quick Focus, but not enough to heal with Quick Focus + Deep Focus, and even those spots are rare enough in the second phase (where she's using two attacks at once with spikes on half the floor) that I don't think I ever pulled it off. I also don't think it's wise to go with an overly offensive loadout either: you can actually get her straight into the second phase with a couple Shaman Stone'd Abyssal Shrieks, but, well, then you're in the hardest part of the fight with no soul.

*I'd say it's just about perfect... if you didn't have to fight the Hollow Knight every time you die. Poor guy has probably been killed a billion times by everyone playing this game. It will eventually amuse you at how surgically you take him apart after the eighth or ninth fight.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Double posting to say that I also really like the Radiance fight in terms of gameplay and story synthesis:

The Knight enters the Dream, looks up at the goddamn sun and says LET'S DO THIS. The sun looks down, laughs, and says, "All right, little bug, if you wish to die, so be it." Her first round of attacks are more showing off her power than anything else: "Oh, you have a nail? I have a wall of them." But she can't quite squash this little bug. So she ramps it up, starts to get a little bit more serious. In particular, she launches an attack that should kill anything: the full sweep of light across the stage. But the little bug dashes right through it--oh poo poo, he's powered by the Abyss. Now she's starting to get scared, throwing everything she has at him. But he just won't die, and she slowly starts to understand that he's actually a threat. So then she starts actively avoiding him, teleporting around and firing at him from a distance. And then finally she tries to run away, but it's too late, he brought the Abyss with him into the Dream. And just like everyone else in Hallownest, she learns that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Two tips for the flower quest:

1) From someone earlier in this thread: save it until you are close to the end of the game (i.e. post White Palace) and use the Kingsoul to just nuke everything in your way at range. Sure, this requires you to wait until the Forgotten Crossroads gets infected, but I think that's so much better than trying to get through the last room in the Queen's Gardens without double-jumping (I'm pretty sure it's beating the Broken Vessel that triggers the infection).

2) From Highwang's LP: the big jellyfish don't do their crazy kamikaze thing if you hit them with Sharp Shadow.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Your Computer posted:

That's exactly what I meant when I said I thought the game was "artsy-fartsy" :pram: Also gotta agree with the Souls-like thing, it added another layer of :rolleyes: since literally every game at that time was being called souls-like. I wonder if the people/reviewers who called it that even played the game because there's literally nothing souls-like about the game. It's a straight metroidvania from start to finish (and a heckin' good one too).

This is a funny way to think about it. I might argue that Dark Souls is a metroidvania! And I would not be the first person to do so! If the thing that makes a metroidvania is the model of upgrade>progression>upgrade>progression (and the possibility of subversion of that model through sequence breaking), then sure, Dark Souls is one of those.

That said, minute-to-minute gameplay-wise, HK and DS are not super similar outside of dying-and-recovery, but in terms of story and gameplay integration, they're extremely similar. I know "Souls-like" gets thrown around like candy, so a lot of people use it when they mean "hard game with weird story" instead of "game which is exactly as hard as you want it to be because if something's too hard just go the other direction for a while and also the story works exactly the same way as the difficulty, it's there if you want it and not if you don't."

C-Euro posted:

Well that was a long-rear end session. Decided to poke my head into Kingdom's Edge, then wound up fighting Hornet again and then crawling inside of a dead wurm. Got the King's Mark and thought "hey maybe this goes to that door in the Ancient Basin" and oh God there's a giant spooky pit underneath this place and oh God I sucked up this evil-looking liquid and now I can dash through these black barriers in Fog Canyon so why don't I just do all of the Canyon and Queen's Garden now. Oh hey it's my buddy Cloth and now she's helping me fight this evil mantis and oh no RIP Cloth. Also thanks for giving me half of a charm giant light lady. I'm 15 hours in now and it feels like the only things I have to do now is take on the Dreamers (especially the one in Deepnest, which I've barely explored), but this game keeps surprising me so who the gently caress knows what will happen. It's rad.

Also do you get any sort of benefit from using the Dream Nail on NPC spirits? I really don't want to have to exorcise my #1 homie Cloth :(

I think the Abyss was my favorite part of the game. People talk about Deepnest being scary, and it is, but man... it's just so quiet down there.

Dream Nail on NPCs: No real benefit aside from the very minor essence points except FREEING THEM FROM PURGATORY IN THE DREAM THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE DOING NO YOU SHUT UP

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Your Computer posted:

Zote is actually the son of the Pale King

I'm not sure it's all that hard to make a case for this: maybe he's the actual, legitimate son of the King and the Queen sent him away to protect him. He very clearly has issues with his mother and returning to lay claim to some sort of vague glory, possibly stolen from him by his pseudo-half-brother, the Hollow Knight, who the King loved more than him.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Is there any sort of speculation or anything about why the Knight (the player, I mean) is outside of Hallownest at the beginning? I like the idea that (endgame spoilers) you're not just one vessel, you're all of them, i.e. every time you die you are a new one, you're basically just the Abyss trying to kill the Radiance any way you can. I'm not really sure there's a lot of support for that idea, especially seeing as how a lot of people (mostly Hornet) recognize your quest and recognize you in particular as being unique, a "this time it's different" situation. But it's fun to think about.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

khwarezm posted:

The White Palace is just the most basic and obvious kind of platforming with the proviso that it was difficult, but they don't put much effort into trying to make it a coherent part of the world in the same way it feels like they do in the rest of the game, as people note the king filling his nice looking palace with deadly noisy buzzsaws everywhere just feels weirdly dissonant with the surroundings and general tone of the game in general.

Let's move the conversation more in this direction: I don't think we're supposed to think that's, like, the actual White Palace. It's in the Dream and it is actively trying to kill you and/or protect the King's secrets (both the Kingsoul shard and his deepest, darkest secret at the end of the Path of Pain). It wasn't filled with buzzsaws in the "real" world. I might even go as far as to suggest that it's in the Dream and so it is the Radiance specifically that's trying to kill you and keep you from the Kingsoul--you'll see all those spears and spikes again when you fight her directly.

Of course, this doesn't answer the question of just where the White Palace went when it disappeared. :ghost:

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Attention Janitorial Staff,

Management has received your concerns and has installed one indestructible light bug in corridor 24. Further, Management has relayed your complaints about corridors 4, 8, 26, and 71 to the King. The King has responded that he would like you all to "git gud." Thank you.

Sincerely,

Management

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Dancer posted:

Then this is what you need:

How are you supposed to know to do that? I'm genuinely asking, I don't remember. I mean, I did it, I just don't know what sent me there.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I'm pretty sure the one between The Hollow Knight and Dream No More is for getting the Void Heart but when Hornet jumps into the fight with the Hollow Knight, you ignore her and keep hitting him, which will bring you to an alternate version of the bad ending.

And I'm going to take a guess that the last one in your list there is for dismissing the Troupe without fighting the Nightmare King? You can do that, can't you?
Or something like that?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I think it's the sign of a pretty well-balanced game when there's a wide variance in how difficult people think each boss is. I think it's more about whether you're playing more defensively or more aggressively. Count me as one of those people who can beat Soul Tyrant without getting hit but got straight housed by the Crystal Guardian. And it took me like a million tries to beat the Watcher Knights. And that loving piece of poo poo Soul Warrior guarding the Shade Soul upgrade. That dude just embarrasses me every loving time. He's not even a real boss!

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Rookersh posted:

As someone who always waits till all the DLC is out before he plays something ( because I don't tend to come back to poo poo, and want to play it all at once. ) someone sell me on playing this now before Gods and Glory comes out?

It's very easily one of the best games of the last several years of any genre and easily in the top five of all time in its genre (don't make me say Metroidvania). Most importantly, it's ridiculously wide open and that means there's about a million different ways to get through it, so when the final DLC(s) do come out, you can play through it totally differently anyway.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

morcant posted:

I dunno about the above poster, but I was told not to run games on my old laptop since there's a good chance the graphics card might just up and die :gonk: On the plus side, I'm planning on getting a new one sometime next month.

I still want the goddang Switch version though, playing with a handheld console will be much better than having to play on a laptop.

I play the game on a laptop without a dedicated video card. It is not a graphically demanding game despite being really pretty.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Arrhythmia posted:

You just forgot where the entrance was, nothing special about this.

I mean, the place is specifically designed to make you forget where the entrance is, so don't feel bad about it. If it was easy, it wouldn't be terrifying, and what is that place if not an area that is very lovingly handcrafted to drill directly down to some of humanity's most primal fears (the dark, getting lost, having things crawling all over you).

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Andrast posted:

There are no wrong directions

This is absolutely the best advice for a new player. Coupled with that is this additional point: if you're having trouble with something, be it a boss or, like, a really dark and scary place, just go somewhere else for a while. The game is really big and way, way longer than you think it's going to be. You'll get tons of upgrades and when you come back to whatever it is that was beating you, you'll win this time. Perseverance is the Knight's greatest strength. Beat him down, cast him off, bury him deep in the earth... he will climb back out and prevail.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

enojy posted:

You've pretty much got it -- you need to ZL charge from that wall, cancel it in midair when you're underneath the hole in the ceiling, and double jump up into it.

Haha, I am slapping myself in the face for spending the better part of an hour here luring bees over so I could bounce off of them. This is much easier!

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Cool. Am I able to go there before I have ground pound? I'm basically just trying to avoid Soul Master for now and I can't figure anywhere else out I can go for the life of me. I feel like I've explored every available option that only requires wall jump and dash (which is all I have) but that can't be right. I've seen people fighting that boss with way more upgrades than I have.

You can also buy the lantern and go to the mines (upper right of the Crossroads).

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Books On Tape posted:

I tried going after the Crystal Heart but I couldn't beat the boss in that area to unlock the bench, and that was just too frustratingly long a walk after dying there so much.

I also had a whole lot of trouble with this dude, so here's my advice: don't fight him. You can come back later when you have more tools. There's no other boss to fight to get the Crystal Heart, so just take your time and be careful and you'll get there without needing the second bench.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Yeah, just know that the only thing on the other side of the Watcher Knights is a Dreamer, so it's perfectly acceptable to leave them until the very, very end of the game, like the second-to-last thing that you do (not counting extra things that don't provide any meaningful benefit like the Path of Pain or the Trial of Fools).

I know people are, like, really good at this game, but I can't fathom beating them without (late game upgrade) Shade Soul.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Phenotype posted:

still strugglin :(

I made it past Hornet last night! So far the bosses have had a really neat feeling of learning their moves and then eventually killing them without hardly getting hit. I'm hoping the game takes off pretty soon though, it's been rough playing til now with just the basic jump/swing moveset. I feel like the levels I've seen so far are kinda barren, like I should have found more stuff for the amount of running around I've done. Although when I really think about it, I've unlocked two magic spells, two shopkeepers, a charm, two maps, another move, and probably some stuff that I'm forgetting. I guess a lot of that stuff feels like basic game mechanics, though, so I still FEEL like I've been playing for hours without unlocking much. It's also kinda depressing that, instead of anything useful, I'm constantly rewarded with these little geo piles that give me 15 coins and might just disappear entirely once I get killed. It's just felt so very slow.

Once you get your next movement upgrade (spoiling so you can check if that's what you meant by "another move:" the Mantis Claw, from the Mantis Village underneath the Fungal Caves), the game opens up considerably. In fact, it opens up to the point where just listing the number of places you can go and things you can do is almost impractical. Just explore!

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
If you didn't get a new movement ability, no, you didn't finish Crystal Peak.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I think it's funny that people say you get locked out of the bad ending when [ending spoilers if that wasn't obvious enough] it's definitely worse to trap Hornet in there with you! So you lock yourself out of the "bad" ending but you can still definitely get the worst ending after you get the Void Heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

I probably should have just called it quits after finishing the game. All of the optional late game stuff is sort of miserable and slamming my head against it is just making me like the game less but I can't stop myself from trying.

So I know maybe this goes against the spirit of this thread trying to encourage people and give them advice, but... you've made a whole lot of posts in the last couple weeks about how frustrated you are with this game and maybe it would be best if you took a break. If your previous posts are anything to go by, you are not going to like the White Palace, and you are really, really not going to like the real final boss.