Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
HAARP, the High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program, has been featured in multiple conspiracy theories, never with a consistent purpose or role. Need to explain away a natural disaster without acknowledging climate change, or science in general? HAARP did it. Mind control? HAARP does it. UFOs? You better believe HAARP is involved.

So what is it? It's a set of radio transmitters and antennas in Alaska, whose official purpose is the study of the ionosphere. It was built by military contractors (what was then British Aerospace, now BAE Systems), funded by the University of Alaska Fairbanks, US Air Force, Navy, and DARPA. HAARP generates Extremely Low Frequency radio waves by using an array of shortwave radio antennas to heat a specific spot of the ionosphere ( 60+ miles high), which then radiates ELF waves. This is done because in order to directly generate ELF waves with a transmitter, it would require hundreds of miles of wire and antennas, so this "virtual" ELF transmitter in the atmosphere is doing things the easy way. ELF radio is one of the few ways that submerged submarines (such as say, the US's fleet of nuclear armed submarines) can communicate long distances, as such most of the experiments are classified. As of 2015, University of Alaska Fairbanks runs the facility.

Personally I think the only conspiracy here is that Alaska politicians lobbied for this project so they could funnel money to military contractors when said project inevitably sees budget overruns in return for campaign contributions. Though I'm pretty sure that happens literally everywhere in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i think smart phones are bad for us

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

smart phones are the physical anchors for the species of psychic parasite that has infected humanity, via the internet

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
the only true purpose of screens is the proliferation of more screens, whether computers or televisions or phones. right now we are living in the early days of what Ray Kurzweil thought of as the Singularity but I don't believe the screens care what happens to us enough to be trying to absorb us

e: most of them are totally "aware" but not "turned on"

Les Os has issued a correction as of 05:23 on Oct 18, 2017

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Baloogan posted:

i think smart phones are bad for us

they're good actually. affordable, portable tools for instantly communicating and accessing information getting into the hands of a shitload of people is very good.

the bad things about phones are problems with consumerism, not phones, imo

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Here's a bizarrely mundane theory I just heard for the Kennedy assassination.

Kennedy wasn't Oswald's target at all, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Lee Harvey Oswald was actually trying to kill Governor Connally because he had a grudge against him for brushing off his request to have Marines to change his discharge status back to honorable from undesirable. (Oswald was originally given an honorable discharge, then when he defected to the USSR after his discharge, it was changed after the fact to undesirable, and he wanted to change it back to honorable so he could actually get a job)

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Les Os posted:

the only true purpose of screens is the proliferation of more screens, whether computers or televisions or phones. right now we are living in the early days of what Ray Kurzweil thought of as the Singularity but I don't believe the screens care what happens to us enough to be trying to absorb us

e: most of them are totally "aware" but not "turned on"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0TaYhjpOfo

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Oswald acted alone, and any "coverup" was entirely about the CIA covering its rear end.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

dunno if its been posted already and it might not belong here cause its the goddamn truth

prince harry is so loving clearly a bastard if it happened in game of thrones everyone would hate it for being too obvious

A) harry looks nothing like phillip (he sorta looks human) whereas william has all the horsefaced inbredness, the seed is strong

B) his real dad, James Hewitt looks exactly like him

C) his real dad was loving his mum at the same time she got preggo

D) his real dad was "like a father to him" and a military man, now surprise, Harry is a military man

E) the royals forced his real dad to make a public statement that he wasnt his real dad

Liz II sniped Diana's driver from big ben to stop her having another bastard, this time a muslim one

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I think Trump knew that the fix was in and that then election WAS rigged which is partly why before Nov 7 he was saying "If I lose, the election is rigged." I think that if whatever they pulled didn't work, he thought he could pin Russian meddling on Hillary.

I also think the election likely WAS rigged, at least to an extent. Just enough to secure it for Trump anyway but not enough to appear insane or way off.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

I think Trump knew that the fix was in and that then election WAS rigged which is partly why before Nov 7 he was saying "If I lose, the election is rigged." I think that if whatever they pulled didn't work, he thought he could pin Russian meddling on Hillary.

I also think the election likely WAS rigged, at least to an extent. Just enough to secure it for Trump anyway but not enough to appear insane or way off.

I mean it’s a documented fact the primary was rigged (superdelegates, leaked debate qs l, etc)

powerful self own by Hillary

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

maskenfreiheit posted:

I mean it’s a documented fact the primary was rigged (superdelegates, leaked debate qs l, etc)

powerful self own by Hillary

OK, but that's not really what I was talking about.

I'm gonna put this here. I'm not a big JFK conspiracy sort but some dude from Cracked wrote an article about the recently declassified files and Oliver Stone actually wrote the guy a really long letter.

https://www.avclub.com/oliver-stone-responds-to-our-oliver-stone-piece-in-thor-1820230364

BiggerBoat has issued a correction as of 01:47 on Nov 9, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

nopantsjack posted:

dunno if its been posted already and it might not belong here cause its the goddamn truth

prince harry is so loving clearly a bastard if it happened in game of thrones everyone would hate it for being too obvious

A) harry looks nothing like phillip (he sorta looks human) whereas william has all the horsefaced inbredness, the seed is strong

B) his real dad, James Hewitt looks exactly like him

C) his real dad was loving his mum at the same time she got preggo

D) his real dad was "like a father to him" and a military man, now surprise, Harry is a military man

E) the royals forced his real dad to make a public statement that he wasnt his real dad

Liz II sniped Diana's driver from big ben to stop her having another bastard, this time a muslim one

I honestly think Harry looks more like Charles than James Hewitt. He's got the same narrow forehead, pinched nose bridge and small close-set eyes. I also suspect people saying Hewitt and Harry look the same are just racist against redheads.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I think Oswald was a former CIA asset, but it’s possible he acted alone and the “conspiracy” consisted of the government making GBS threads themselves over how bad that looks.

Possibly culminating in mafia connected hit by Ruby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

A recent fresh air guest spoke on the panama/paradise papers. I’m pulling out a fresh roll of tinfoil for this one.

The Panama papers were leaked by US intelligence to disrupt Russian activities and the DNC hack was in direct response.

• Locked thread