Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max
Nov 30, 2002

Kash's death flavor indicates yes.

I'm for real down for no hang here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Kashuno posted:

Sure feels great to have the mod work against me

Feels like something that should be said in a PM and not in an active game.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Kashuno posted:

Sure feels great to have the mod work against me

:hb: come now, i'm sure ecco would do it all again :hb:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
the dead are asked to not post thanks

Max
Nov 30, 2002

IllegallySober posted:

I'm surprised Stickup is gone. Either he didn't self-doc, or he wasn't what he said he was. Or I guess there could be an unblockable kill.

Chances are he was playing chicken with his claim of self-doc'ing, that's pretty standard.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Max posted:

Kash's death flavor indicates yes.

I'm for real down for no hang here.

I believe I agree with this also but want to think it over more while at work today. There's no deadline so we don't need to rush. I'll check in after my event.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah I'm not in a rush or anything. I semi-agree with Gulag about holding our opinions but I have one or two things I may share anyway, dunno.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i'm willing to yolo since i know who i want to kill (but i wont say who!!(yet!!))

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

GulagDolls posted:

i'm willing to yolo since i know who i want to kill (but i wont say who!!(yet!!))

How is this helpful to anyone

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

mad that you're gonna lose at the last second

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Makes the night kill decision more difficult for SK, which I am all for.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

ecco: oops watch out for 1 shot lynchproof serial killers lol. they teach you about that in law school

( my ecco impression)

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Lol at the idea of two lynchproof roles in one game.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Max posted:

Makes the night kill decision more difficult for SK, which I am all for.

That was my mistake then, when he said "yet" I thought he was saying he was going to make his big reveal later today, not tomorrow. It didn't jive with a no-lynch and it didn't make sense as a town move.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

sam you sound nervous

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

nervous, due to being the serial killer

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Lol

Just trying to figure out the game.

Why are you so antsy and aggressive?

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

It's the first time this game you've been really engaged

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Fun life fact: just got the dark souls board game delivered, and I am so stoked. It's also the goddamn biggest board game box I have ever brought home and it isn't even the whole game.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

no it's not, but i forgive you for saying so, since i know you are just trying to achieve your serial killer win condition

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Thinking it over, I see pretty much zero downside to no-dunking. We're at mylo right now. I was trying to come up with a plausible scenario where we somehow lose outright by no-dunking and I can't fathom it. There has to be exactly one SK/threat to town player left- more than that and the game would already be over. My belief- remembering the discussion from the very first game I was ever in- is that in a scenario with four remaining and a single kill that if town repeatedly no-dunks and the SK repeatedly withholds the kill, that the mod should/would force the SK to kill to advance the game.

Does anyone know of an example otherwise? I tried looking up "stalemate" on the wiki but couldn't find anything.

If the SK somehow has a multiple kill, then we throw our hands up and say "Ecco game" and that's fine.

As far as discussion, I have reads but I won't share them. I feel comfortable that no matter who the kill is, the remaining two townies can make the correct move.

Unless anyone has feedback on the bolded question above, I'm ready to vote no-dunk and see what happens.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

alternatively, we kill the crow

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I have a feeling at this point but also am ok with a no-dunk to thin the field.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Night all

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Found out some personal news that makes me seriously not want to think about this at the moment.

##vote no hang

SK please kill me.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Max posted:

Found out some personal news that makes me seriously not want to think about this at the moment.

##vote no hang

SK please kill me.

Ugh, I'm really sorry to hear that, Max. I hope everything gets better.

Nobody seems to have any info re: my stalemate question, but let's go for it anyway.

##vote no dunk

Max
Nov 30, 2002

To quickly answer that, a lot of times SK's / Scum will simply not be allowed to withhold a kill to begin with.

However, Ecco allowed it in their soldiers game, so anything goes. But this is honestly the right call regardless of personal circumstances.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Max posted:

##vote no hang

SK please kill me.

Whatever is happening, hope it gets better asap.

##vote no lynch

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Night actions!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
:s: Max, ???, ??? (???-aligned), ripped to shreds. :s:

It is now Day 10

:h: 3 alive, 2 to execute.
:d: There is no deadline

Good luck friends.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i think we can skip all discussion and move to killing sam

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

GulagDolls posted:

Why do you believe that?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

FYI, I'm at work for another three hours and won't have a ton of time to dedicate to this until then. But I do have some thoughts.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

What is your deal

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

IllegallySober posted:

FYI, I'm at work for another three hours and won't have a ton of time to dedicate to this until then. But I do have some thoughts.

Basically same

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Note: If you all hammer someone, please wait to post post post until I come to the thread and handle it, even if the game seems over. Thank you!

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

All right, so
I think someone with an SK role would mostly vote for whoever. They would want to keep the scum team from winning, but their votes would be pretty capricious. I started by looking for hard left-turns here in opinions and opportunism.

IllegallySober:
I never paid a lot of attention to him. His biggest sin in the beginning was just re-stating things that were painfully obvious to the thread at the time

IllegallySober posted:

I re-read Somber's posts. Seemed a little all-over-the-map to me on D1 but that's how most D1s go. Clearly set up the breadcrumb for White Mage- whether that was for a fake-claim or not, who knows, but I think we can safely leave Somber alone for now. I'm not inclined to dunk the claimed WM at this point when if he's telling the truth he's outed himself to the scum team anyway.
But it wasn't scummy as much as lazy. Sometimes he was super wrong

IllegallySober posted:

Also, re-read UP and find them strongly reading as town to me. Good arguments and driving discussion. Would not vote UP at this point.
But at this point in the game I pretty much felt the exact same way about UP. IS was willing to unvote when not sure, which indicates to me he wanted a correct lynch, not just a lynch. He was also willing to call strong town reads, which are hard to reverse later if you're coming from an opportunistic perspective. His chart was not very useful, but it belied a level of active scum-hunting that reads town. He provided regular commentary and I don't see any obvious lapses. Most importantly, his calls were reasoned.

GulagDolls
Gulag, in his second post after replacing in, sets up the expectation that he will be opportunistic.

GulagDolls posted:

I will not attempt to read this whole thread in under one hour, but I will mercilessly vote for whoever has the most votes on them.

GulagDolls posted:

I still haven't read this thread. I will probably just ctrl+f the flipped scum's name and kill whoever mentions him the least.

GulagDolls posted:

I am on page 13 and am overwhelmed by how useless the activity of rereading a mafia game, is.
It initially just seemed lazy, and kinda "oh, that rascally Gulag." At this point it's hard not to see it as setting up the easiest path to voting whoever.
The only case he ever meaningfully engages with (surrounded by a ton of commentary-free votes on vote-leaders or easy targets) is tpink's.
And now he goes all-in on me. No doubt in his mind. But also no reasoning, he just hammers the point over and over.

I'm reminded of one of my first games where at the end, after a game of not really playing, scum-CPig became the pretty-obvious badguy started posting like a madman. Just dug in and went nuts. And the thread bought it, even though it came from nowhere. Just on force of conviction, he pushed his way out of a town win by being bull-headed and lacking a substantive post-history in the thread that anyone could really dig through. Gulag replaced in before IS and still has significantly less posts, which wouldn't mean anything if any of those posts had any meat on them, but they don't.

I honestly cannot see a scenario where Gulag isn't the bad guy here.

I'll leave my vote off for now for purposes of discussion, but I would need a serious revelation to change my mind.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

IllegallySober posted:

Why do you believe that?

i will make big post. do not vote me in the meantime, or afterwards, because the nsam will also vote me, causing us to lose the video game.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I should be home in about 20 minutes and hopefully we can wrap this up tonight. I'll post my reads on both of you when I get home, but given what you've both said it looks like the choice will be in my hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

IllegallySober posted:

Why do you believe that?

the basic gist is that he is posting like someone who is primarily concerned with their own survival, from forming a conclusion and the nworking backwards to make a case on me now, to posting cases throughout the game that stretch logic to its very limits (in a bad way).

100 yrs points out what I mean in the latter here

more completely alien cases

Samfucius posted:

What I am saying, somber, is it looks like you protected someone the scum wouldn't have reason to target. You've been playing long enough that I don't think you would make that decision as town, at least over other players like 100.

I think you and Ernie are scum.

##vote Somber

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816882&userid=167437&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post472056003

Samfucius posted:

It's a je-ne-sais-quoi sort of thing, but IS talked about being VT a handful of times in the last few pages, and then hammers on Kash for not. At this point in the game, a VT claim is pretty much meaningless. It just feels like a really arbitrary bit of differentiation, especially when he doubles down on it as though it really means something.

The no true scotsman thing was supposed to be IS saying "no true townie doesn't claim vt over and over" which I now realize isn't an entirely correct use of no true scotsman, I guess what I was going for was "gatekeeper."

IS is trying to be the gatekeeper of what town does, in reference to something that is totally meaningless right now.

(hgoly crap dude)

sk's don't have to 'force' reads in that they can scumhunt, but this looks to me like someone who is insecure about just....PLAYING MAFIA and has to overextend themselves. like unless sam can produce other games where he acts like this as town, this is enough for me to vote him. there's also little things throughout his post history. he gets upset that i am able to exist in the game without making extended cases.

as i said above, the case he just posted feels like he formed a conclusion first and then worked backwards, and also is reaching, again. why is me saying that it's hard to read 32 pages of mafia 'setting up the easiest path to voting whoever' (as if that requires setting up) and not just..um.. you know. the truth. the only being engaged with tpink thing is pretty much complete bullshit as i talked a lot about tired moritz and a fair bit about kashuno.

the other thing, that i think exonerates both me and IS, is that serial killer is too fun a role. who honestly replaces out after rolling serial killer. no one would. its insane. you almost never get it unless you're me because of the meme and you just get to enjoy the advantages of both being able to post effectively like town and also murder people.

• Locked thread