Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Okay, I guess I'm signing up. Dang, it's been awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

I Understand That If I Do Not Unvote The Mod Will Not Count A Revote Unless I Am A Doublevoter.

Hi everyone.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Pinterest Mom posted:

One week ago:

Today, 100yrs is ~~~~~~very concerned about the egregious role fishing~~~~~~~~~~~

it's fake, he's scum. easiest day one of my life.
This case is pretty nice as far as jokephase exits go. I like Pinterest for town. I was gonna vote 100yrs but his followup doesn't seem scummy to me

tpink posted:

Oh man oh jeez and I didn't even get to post during jokephase :saddowns:
But I don't like this post either, or the follow up:

tpink posted:

ok this is pretty lol actually. 100yrs, would love to hear why you suddenly have concerns about a jokey D1 vanilla town claim just a week after it was apparently a-okay. In the meantime, ##vote 100years.
##Vote tpink
Seems like a scum checkbox style post

tpink posted:

MT is a really good mafia player, so now I don't know what to think about 100yrs. :sigh:
This is like Scum Looking For an Excuse To Stay On A Fence 101

I also agree with birdstrike on this one:

The Lord of Hats posted:

Geez, talk about a rolling start, I didn't expect things to kick off this quickly. I'm not entirely sure what to think about 100Yrs--on the one hand, I've made enough dumb mistakes as town to instinctively want to give the benefit of the doubt, and it's still super early, but on the other hand...

This is a Bad Post.
would definitely vote for Lord of Hats.

I also agree with Keane calling out TMMadman's setup guessing post as scummy.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Moatillata posted:

Hi im catching up now

I could get behind this

In fact reading further---- wait this guy is

##vote quandry

Are you a doublevoter?

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

To summarize, my current scum list:
1. tpink
2. The Lord of Hats
3. TMMadman
4. Moatilla

Moatilla for making lazy content posts.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Moatillata posted:

Are you a baby irl
Well, after voting sticky, you voted quandry without unvoting. So either you're a doublevoter or you are not paying very close attention to the game. Really, could be both.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Moatillata posted:

Youre adorable learning your shapes and colors, working on your gross motor

##unvote

##vote quandry
Okay, so you're not paying very much attention to the thread.

Also, I only work on nice motors, not gross ones.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Okay, so you're not paying very much attention to the thread.

Also, I only work on nice motors, not gross ones.

This was a missed opportunity to say "fine motors, not gross ones", which is a much better joke.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

tpink posted:

No, YOU're a scum checkbox style post :argh:

But for real, this is a terrible case because it pretty much ignores my multiple posts as to why I first voted for 100yrs and then unvoted after very careful and thoughtful consideration. It's almost like you're not really interested in actually finding scum, hmmmm :confused:
Haha this is a horribly blatant OMGUS

Please vote for tpink.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah, no I don't think tpink is scum for this. They're being pretty drat transparent about their thought process, which is something I personally appreciate. Even if you don't understand it you can tell the sincerity behind the actions.
Nah. Let's go through it.

First, here's what I'm looking for
1) Lazy poo poo that indicates the person isn't actually looking for scum, like bandwagons, not reading the thread, or ways to stay under the radar
2) Scum "checkbox" posts where people find a post that does things people usually consider scummy, but is an excuse more than a genuine attempt
3) Saying "town" things to fit in, things like worrying about what other people think over finding scum
4) Coordination (or patterns of avoidance) or indications of knowledge they shouldn't have (as a note, this one is pretty rare to find in the early game)
5) Opportunism, fence-sitting, trying to pre-prepare justifications for voting people

Obviously, everything is interpretation and none of it is 100% or mafia would be a solved game, and like Checkers, no one would ever play it.

So here's what we've got from tpink:

tpink posted:

Oh man oh jeez and I didn't even get to post during jokephase :saddowns:
This is a (3), but in isolation not a big deal.

tpink posted:

ok this is pretty lol actually. 100yrs, would love to hear why you suddenly have concerns about a jokey D1 vanilla town claim just a week after it was apparently a-okay. In the meantime, ##vote 100years.
This is (1) and (2), bandwagoning (lazy) but also making sure to justify, because scum are looking to have good reasons for voting town. tpink doesn't actually need to say any of this because it's just repeating Pintrest Mom's reasoning, AND what this is a stickup just said. However, scum worry about what they look like to others and don't want votes to look like bandwagons, so tpink makes sure to stick in the justification. It's also possible tpink didn't bother to check that other people said what they said (1).

We get an interrogation of 100yrs and an unvote, but the next two posts we get this:

tpink posted:

I'm just somewhat sympathetic to 100yrs because lord knows I've said stupid poo poo without thinking in past Mafia games that could be interpreted badly, and then didn't have a great explanation for whatever dumb thing I had said off the cuff. I'm defending him only half-heartedly because I at least partially agree that his explanations don't make 100% sense, but I am also just not as convinced as you that this one thing he said is a surefire scum tell.

tpink posted:

MT is a really good mafia player, so now I don't know what to think about 100yrs. :sigh:
This is fence-sitting (5), and looks like preparation to revote 100yrs if it looks like that's popular, but deferring responsibility to another player. Why would tpink trust that MT is town at this point? That's a possible indication of knowledge of alignment (scum know everyone else is probably town).

tpink posted:

No, YOU're a scum checkbox style post :argh:

But for real, this is a terrible case because it pretty much ignores my multiple posts as to why I first voted for 100yrs and then unvoted after very careful and thoughtful consideration. It's almost like you're not really interested in actually finding scum, hmmmm :confused:
This OMGUS is another opportunism post. tpink is implying I'm scum, but didn't drop a vote, so it sure doesn't sound like they're very convinced. It's also an attempt to frame earlier things in a better light, showing more care about what people think (3).

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Tired Moritz posted:

im sorry it's actually the afternoon right now :(

Did you want to actually comment on any cases or on who you think is scum? I only ask because I noticed your entire post history is in my Mafia Dictionary under "White Noise"

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I maybe said things in a less than serious manner, but I do think all your words amounted to nothing.

You'd have been better off giving straight town reads instead of weakly dropping opinions such as these. Considering you're vote on me was one of the worse me-too's we got, I don't think you really have much to say. So instead of actually looking for content you're being forced to whip up some weak non-cases.

Do you think there's any other players that have said a lot of words that have amounted to nothing, or are similarly whipping up "weak non-cases"?

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Mithross posted:

Calling 100yrs case a "ham fisted smear job" sounds like something a surprised scum would say. Somber is a good vote today.
This sounds like artificially manufactured reasoning; someone looking for an excuse to vote, rather than scum.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Tired Moritz posted:

the number of times people actually find scum in day 1 is much lower than townies being bad and getting lynched because they act scummy

and I had too many games where town threw because they don't want to kill lurkers for some reason. the sooner people get punished for no posting, the better and the game quality would actually increase with the days instead of reaching the dull mid point where the vocal players just lynched each other and the maf wins.

of course, you are allowed to disagree :)

This has happened in a bajillion games I've played, and I actually like Moritz for town based on their tone and attitude.

I'm down for a lurker lynch, with the caveat that "lowest post-count" may not be indicative of the worst lurking; word-count and content should be taken into consideration.

Though what the hell, Merk hasn't even confirmed yet.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

I just want to point out that tpink, after responding to my case and getting some heat, has entirely disappeared from the thread. tpink has made no effort to scumhunt (the town move), but is instead hiding and hoping people forget about them (scum move). The motivation here is clearly survival, not finding and eliminating scum.

I feel pretty strongly about this as a D1 case. I'm keeping my vote on tpink.

I'm also fine with executing Lord of Hats. 1) Because lurking, and 2) because each post seems a lot more about defense and excuses rather than finding scum.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Posting this mostly for my benefit, and hoping its actually mostly accurate:
:c: The Current Day 1 Votecount :c:

The Lord of Hats (9): Birdstrike, 100YrsofAttitude, Ernie., -100YrsofAttitude, 100YrsofAttitude, KhyrosFinalCut, Mithross, wins32767, Max, Pinterest Mom, Somberbrero
100YrsofAttitude (2): Pinterest Mom, Max, tpink, -tpink, Somberbrero, its me glenda, -its me glenda, -Max, Murmur Twin, this is a stickup, -Murmur Twin, Samfucius, -Pinterest Mom, -Somberbrero
Max (2): Tired Moritz, TMMadman, -Tired Moritz, Tired Moritz
TMMadman (1): Murmur Twin, CCKeane, -Murmur Twin
Quandary (1): Moatillata, Max, -Max, -Moatillata, Tobbs Gnawed
tpink (1): Uranium Phoenix, its me glenda, KhyrosFinalCut, -its me glenda, -KhyrosFinalCut
Tired Moritz (1): Birdstrike, -Birdstrike, Mithross, -Mithross, Murmur Twin
Murmur Twin (1): its me glenda, Birdstrike, -its me glenda, -Birdstrike, Quandary
Spoonsy (0): Max, -Max, Birdstrike, -Birdstrike
Tobbs Gnawed (0): this is a stickup, -this is a stickup
Somberbrero (0): 100YrsofAttitude, -100YrsofAttitude
this is a stickup (0): Moatillata, -Moatillata, Moatillata, Kashuno, -Kashuno, -Moatillata
Kashuno (0): TMMadman, -TMMadman
Pinterest Mom (0): Birdstrike, -Birdstrike
its me glenda (0): Murmur Twin, -Murmur Twin
CCKeane (0): wins32767, -wins32767
Moatillata (0): this is a stickup, Ernie., its me glenda, Samfucius, -its me glenda, -Ernie., -this is a stickup, -Samfucius

Not Voting (6): its me glenda, Kashuno, Moatillata, Spoonsy, The Lord of Hats, tpink

:h: With 24 players alive, it takes 13 votes to be executed.
:d: The current deadline is April 24th, 2017 at 11 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 hour, 28 minutes from this post.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Murmur Twin posted:

Which of these sounds more likely?

(A) Moritz is a town doctor who, while not a vote leaders, decided to claim on D1 because "saying the truth wins games". He decided this outweighed the risk of the doctor getting NKed (or roleblocked or something) on N1.

(B) Moritz is scum who realized the case on him has merit and he couldn't find an acceptable fake case so he claimed doctor to dissuade people from voting for him.

I've scummed with TM before (Swan Song and in that game he tried for a fake claim to take the heat off of him. This seems very similar to that. Also in that game, he very clearly knew the value of doctors (when we discussed targets and stuff) which makes me feel reasonably sure he wouldn't have just shared that info, unprovoked on D1, if it were actually true.

The problem with (B) is that Moritz has, like, one vote and only a few people who have passingly commented on liking him for scum. There's no heat to take off. They also don't need a fake case; they could just join the bandwagon and no one would give a poo poo.

WIFOMing role possibilities and claims isn't useful at determining alignment at this point, nor a useful discussion to have overall.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm suspicious of the PMom push. It's dumb. Very dumb.

1) PM claimed VT, 100yrs ask if PM is rolefishing
2) PM votes 100yrs because everyone here is supposed to have an encyclopaedia on mafia goons posting habits and should always know PM always say they are VT
3)TMM backed PMom's claim, saying they remember PMom always say they are vt even after a month ago.
4)stickup, max, tpink vote 100yrs

PMOM CLAIMED THAT ANYONE WHO QUESTIONED THEIR VT CLAIM IS SCUM

Etc etc

I find the bold statement to be very suspicious. If it's true, I expect that PMom would be a lot more pushy about it and show evidence. Considering that they are willing to show a game from a week ago showing 100yrs buying their VT claim, I find it suspicious that they haven't bought evidence for their grand statement.

Either it's because they are exaggerating to strengthen the push on 100yrs. Which is an incredibly scummy thing to do.

PMom is suspicious indeedo.

On the other hand, then you go and post poo poo like this. Are you reading the same game I am?

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Murmur Twin posted:

I think it is, because you can look at a question like "what was Moritz's motivation for claiming doc there?". At the end of the day, the most beneficial reason for someone to claim to be a doctor (even moreso than actually being a doctor) would be so that people didn't vote for them.

Pretend you're a town doc and talk me through the thought process that would end with you claiming.

Pretend you're town paranoid gunman and tell me how you get scum to visit you.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

I'm around but I don't want to switch to 100yrs. Not because I'm particularly enamored with their posting, but because I'd much rather go for a scummy lurker than a suspicious but extremely verbose poster.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Quandary posted:

Oh I guess not really just 100. I'm around to vote on someone else if hats is literally just a lurker lynch who should I read

tpink, but it's mostly a lurker lynch too.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Tired Moritz posted:

Kill lurkers.

:ironicat:

Tired Moritz posted:

I don't want to kill hats but 1. Lurker 2. Probably a nilla and would you prefer a no lynch?

I don't want to waste tomorrow with us bitching whether we should lynch hats so let's just get it over with.

:ironicat:

At least no one can accuse you of consistency.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Lord of Hats, you should fullclaim.

Town doctors, please don't protect confirmed non-town players. For gently caress's sake.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

tpink posted:

I get this and I'm not trying to be difficult - but don't you think that in a 24-player game, there are going to be at at least two different scum teams? My assumption is that this is in fact more likely than having like one big 5/6-player scum team, and from other large Mafia games I've played on SA, I think that multiple scum teams tend to be the norm. And to be clear, I am not really pushing the narrative that MMT was scum - I am just not as certain as you guys that she was town based on the N1 death. It makes sense provisionally, but I am not going to take it as a given unless we have good reason to believe that there's only one scum team.

Also, this post on top of the earlier stuff mean tpink is almost certainly scum.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

tpink posted:

Your "case" on me yesterday was terrible and it continues to be terrible. Thanks.
It's okay, I'm not trying to convince you.

Who do you think is scum and why?

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

tpink posted:

:viggo:

I don't have strong enough reads on anyone as of yet today, which is also why I haven't voted yet and why I was asking how much time is left in the day. The N1 flips were not very helpful and today has been relatively quiet. I've moved on 100yrs as more likely town but haven't read anything today that's giving me strong scum feels. My guess is that given the size of the game and the lack of info in the flips so far, scum are more likely to try and lay low today and not attract much attention. But I dunno.

Huh. Scum are likely to lay low. You mean like, lurking?

Sort of, like, you know, how you played yesterday?

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Birdstrike posted:

We're going nowhere fast, time to Archerize this plan

Assuming that 100yrs is the dumbest townie ever (highly probable), who wanted them dead? Max, Somber, PinMom.

Scum would've been happy to vote 3P Hats yesterday, so when they couldn't get town 100 dunked they moved to Hats.

##vote Pinterest Mom

No, this is dumb. You're assuming way too much poo poo and the logic doesn't follow.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Huh. Scum are likely to lay low. You mean like, lurking?

Sort of, like, you know, how you played yesterday?
Maybe not lurking. Huh, maybe scum trying to lay low might want to say absolutely nothing of substance, such as guessing the setup and not saying who they think is scum.

*Camera pans to tpink, zooms in*

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

uranium you seem focused on Tpink, which is fine and all, but is there anyone else that's piqued your curiosity? You have good thought processes.
There's actually a huge list of people I'd be willing to vote. Initially, I tried to keep my list of suspicious players down to 5-8, estimating there'd be about that many anti-town roles in the game, but as things currently stand:

Scum:
-Lord of Hats, who is obviously not town aligned and should be lynched
-tpink, for lurking, no content, fake content, and possible extra knowledge
-Mithross, who is dead, I think may have been scum, due to fake content and low contribution
-Tired Moritz, whose cases seem like fake content, posts a lot but says little, and seems to be pushing the idea that Queen-aligned = pro-town with no evidence
-Kashuno, who lurked d1, contributions seems sparse, and pinged me as having extra knowledge
-its me glenda/gif Probst, mostly for low content and a few posts about hats
-Quandry, mostly for lurking, low content, but has admitted to not reading the thread closely
-Spoonsy, for lurking and low content
-CCKeane, again for the same

There's a few others I'm on the fence about, but I would lynch any of those people today.

Mostly, I've been waiting to see if Lord of Hats explains anything. At this point, though, I think we should lynch them; a pro-town faction would have said as much, and it's quite possible they're only 1-shot execute-proof.
##Vote Lord of Hats
This vote stays on until they fullclaim their alignment win condition.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

TMMadman posted:

There's actually a whole lot of people who need to share some opinions. Here's the current post count:

The people in italics are dead. Basically anyone under the bolded Ecco needs to talk more. Although I will give Uranium and KFC somewhat of a small break because their posts have generally had good content. I'm not sure what's up with Kash, but also like to see a bit more from him. I do think it's kind of weird that Tobbs isn't posting a lot right now.
Post-count alone isn't the only indication of lurking. A lot of the people above the list have made many posts, but the posts have said essentially nothing. Dare I say.... content lurking???

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Post-count alone isn't the only indication of lurking. A lot of the people above the list have made many posts, but the posts have said essentially nothing. Dare I say.... content lurking???
Though I've forgotten about some of the people in the game they've posted so little. I'd lynch wins, Tobbs, KFC and Ernie based on post-count alone.

Seriously, for the amount of posts this thread has, I feel like I've got nothing to go on because people post often but say little. It feels like very few people are doing anything to genuinely find scum and convince other people to vote for them. Is there a reason the short-shitpost style of Mafia became so popular? Because it's easy? People don't really want to play the game they signed up for? I don't think it helps win games for town.

I actually entered this game with the goal of not talking about lurking at all, since one of the reasons I left was I felt the asymmetric effort I was willing to put in games versus, say, half the players just didn't make the game fun anymore. It felt like 70% of my games I was just yelling at lurkers to post so that there was any sort of content to go off of, and people didn't actually give a poo poo about playing the games; they liked the idea of playing mafia, but not actually playing mafia. Sadly, it seems that's gotten worse.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Spoonsy posted:

I still want to know what Birdstrike did last night that he regrets. That just doesn't right to me.
No, you don't get to post excuses. Post a case.

Birdstrike is not a good vote.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Kashuno posted:

Christ I'm under the mod. I'm ashamed.
This is the exact kind of post I'm talking about, that leads to increased post count but no actual game content. Post a case.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Ernie. posted:

queen-aligned is as much a problem to scum as they are to us right now. :shrug:

let them be

on the other hand, let's kill wins or moat
How do you know this? Do you actually know the Queen-aligned win condition? What powers they have? That they're not the primary scum faction? That if they are a third party, that they have any way of dealing with the scum?

This is either prime idiocy or serious indication of scum-knowledge.

I'm seriously just baffled by a lot of the posts people are making. You don't just "let be" a known non-town faction. Like, Queen-aligned could be the source of one of the kills. People are getting thrown by the flavor, which is not an indication of win condition or pro-town status.

I've got work, so ya'll can now safely ignore me and all the extremely poignant poo poo I just posted but I'll be back before the deadline to yell at you all more.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Spoonsy posted:

I still don't know what a Brutal Cop is.

Also if someone's lying, please say why
Spoonsy isn't reading the thread, since that question was answered here. This is a scumtell because scum don't need to find the scum.

CCKeane posted:

I was thinking TM, especially since TM seemed to be Mithross's top pick, but the doc claim does give me pause. Is there a reason we are ignoring it?
It's possible scum are doing the thing where they murder anyone who fingers them, which is always worth keeping an eye out for.

The doc claim doesn't make sense. Almost never do you want to claim doc unless it would 1) save you from a lynch or 2) save someone you protected from a nightkill (who is therefore probably town). Neither of these were happening.

I'm in agreement that TM is probably scum. The stupider thing is that we're ignoring the confirmed not-town aligned flip, but I guess I'm the only one who seems to give a poo poo about that, and hell, they'll probably get modkilled at their current rate of posting.

Also I just read the hilarious crap that TM posted and it didn't change my mind at all. Like, he's "100% sure" Moat is lying because of his own unimaginative/illogical setup speculation? Right.

I'm now leaning town on Kash and putting cckeane in the town category unless something changes.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Tired Moritz posted:

##unvote
##vote sombrero

Wait, you think moat is lying and you go with this?

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

##Unvote
##Vote Tired Moritz

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Tired Moritz posted:

Sombre is rude and thus deserve to die
Cool. Meanwhile, I'd rather find and lynch scum.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

At this point I have a huge list of People I'm Down to Execute because you're all scum (and some of you are even scum aligned) but right now we need to build consensus so:
1) TM is a great vote
2) I'm also down to try and execute Lord of Hats again; often
3) Fine executing Quandary or any of the other suspicious lurkers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Tired Moritz posted:

But seriously though, why is everyone just accepting that the Moat just randomly turned to a cop?

Why are you guys so gullible? There's a missing vt turned doc. The fact that you're questioning ny claim instead of a claim MADE UNDER PRESSURE BECAUSE THEY'RE GOING TO BE LYNCHED is so stupid.
1) It seems to be semi-confirmed by 100yrs
2) Now it looks like you're fishing for a doc, which is a Pretty Scummy Move imo

Any docs out there please do not claim. But also don't protect non-town aligned people, tia

• Locked thread