Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the big question at this moment is whether this is the bad programmers version of the pl thread, or whether we are seriously talking about lisp ityool 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

clojurescript

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Stymie posted:

programming is a spiritually and materially rewarding occupation for mathematically-inclined people that improves public quality of life
:agreed:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hickey and armstrong over eich and van rossum every day of the weak anyway

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lol it's super cool that we can have people post stuff that is literally evil without a shred of irony

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
we should honestly be talking about Lisp much more than we do, especially compared to crimes like the plangs

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ive literally never used it other than changing crap in emacs

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

pram posted:

ive literally never used it other than changing crap in emacs

The only time I've seen lisp talked about in a practical way is in emacs. Hell, I'll be willing to bet that anyone who is serious about lisp also passionately uses emacs.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
many years ago I applied for an internship at a company that did graphics software. they were using lisp on SGI machines. you will be surprised to hear that they stopped existing a few years later.

I didn't get the job

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Nude posted:

The only time I've seen lisp talked about in a practical way is in emacs. Hell, I'll be willing to bet that anyone who is serious about lisp also passionately uses emacs.

in my journey to become a scootypuff jr. computer toucher, i worked through lisp/scheme tutorials, and it's been very instructive and fun making ~* ELEMENTAL COMPUTATION *~ out of basically nothing. like you can build a couple of crap versions of useful data structures, and inefficient sorting algorithms out of those crap basic elements and putting that together tickled me.

is it practical, not because it is the year of our lord carly rae jepsen 2017, and computer touching is about knowing standard libraries and how to glue them together with other things to get the results you want.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The Management posted:

many years ago I applied for an internship at a company that did graphics software. they were using lisp on SGI machines. you will be surprised to hear that they stopped existing a few years later.

I didn't get the job

was it Nichimen N-World, which became Winged Edge Mirai, which is now Izware Mirai? because that would have been pretty cool, their code is derived from the original Symbolics S-Graphics suite which Nichimen (a big Symbolics graphics customer) bought when Symbolics was in bankruptcy and ported from ZetaLisp on Genera to Common Lisp on Irix

I've actually started to look into the current state of those assets, they'd be great to obtain and release to the public in some way

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

eschaton posted:

was it Nichimen N-World, which became Winged Edge Mirai, which is now Izware Mirai? because that would have been pretty cool, their code is derived from the original Symbolics S-Graphics suite which Nichimen (a big Symbolics graphics customer) bought when Symbolics was in bankruptcy and ported from ZetaLisp on Genera to Common Lisp on Irix

I've actually started to look into the current state of those assets, they'd be great to obtain and release to the public in some way

yes. wow, I had completely forgotten the name. it was Nichimen Graphics. and I was clearly not qualified for the job at the time being a dumbass kid in my first few college years.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

The Management posted:

yes. wow, I had completely forgotten the name. it was Nichimen Graphics. and I was clearly not qualified for the job at the time being a dumbass kid in my first few college years.

still pretty cool!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

so Daniel Seagraves, the author of the Meroko TI Explorer emulator, has released his LambdaDelta LMI Lambda emulator

it needs a bunch of stuff from BitSavers and a bunch of setup to run, but evidently it does run

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

eschaton posted:

so Daniel Seagraves, the author of the Meroko TI Explorer emulator, has released his LambdaDelta LMI Lambda emulator

it needs a bunch of stuff from BitSavers and a bunch of setup to run, but evidently it does run

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Lambda: The Ultimate Laxative

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Nude posted:

There's a company ITA Software, now owned by Google, who wrote price finding software for flights in lisp. They still are afaik. That's the only company I know where their core software is in lisp.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I remember an old coworker who went to work for livingsocial writing clojure.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, whenever this stuff comes up it turns out there are lisp system lurking around in a lot of places. it certainly isn't hugely relevant, but emacs is still unlikely to be in the top 10 of actually relevant lisp software (depending, granted, on what dubious way of judging relevance one chooses)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Broken Machine posted:

There's a company ITA Software, now owned by Google, who wrote price finding software for flights in lisp. They still are afaik. That's the only company I know where their core software is in lisp.

isn't state street (still?) a lisp shop?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

ComradeCosmobot posted:

isn't state street (still?) a lisp shop?

I would imagine that, like many other central banks they use some lisp; I'm sure you'd find it at Chase too. With all the mergers they've had and given it's a fairly rare skill I doubt it's too key. Surprisingly a lot of core banking still runs in large batches on mainframes, like probably 80% of the transaction processing for most of them.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

akadajet posted:

I remember an old coworker who went to work for livingsocial writing clojure.

There are ppl at Apple writing clojure for business intel stuff.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

emoji posted:

There are ppl at Apple writing clojure for business intel stuff.

very seriously considered clojure for writing quant models but it turns out its a lot easier to find pandas developers if u really need to

RIP Incanter :((

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Malcolm XML posted:

very seriously considered clojure for writing quant models but it turns out its a lot easier to find pandas developers if u really need to

RIP Incanter :((

Well of course the models are developed in pandas/scipy, and productionalized as rules in a clojure DSL due to an existing Big Java transaction thing used by many sub orgs.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

my goth gf posted:

only gay people program in lisp

please... the turing machine is imperative

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

emoji posted:

Well of course the models are developed in pandas/scipy, and productionalized as rules in a clojure DSL due to an existing Big Java transaction thing used by many sub orgs.

That makes sense

Clojire is neat and cool. I wish someone added wrlang features to it it would be be the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

Broken Machine posted:

I would imagine that, like many other central banks they use some lisp; I'm sure you'd find it at Chase too. With all the mergers they've had and given it's a fairly rare skill I doubt it's too key. Surprisingly a lot of core banking still runs in large batches on mainframes, like probably 80% of the transaction processing for most of them.

well sure i mean unlike the trendy hipster rustgolerlanskell poo poo you guys are writing, this stuff actually has to work

• Locked thread