Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
let me know when they make an os in vi.

also this:

Sweevo posted:

lisp is useless dogshit that only exists for academics to masturbate over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
having said that, it would have made a lot more sense to have created the tensorflow interface in some kind of lisp variant instead of python.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
machine code is imperative. higher level languages that aren't are just scripting an imperative code generator.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I just watched a 13 minute video to understand what a lisp machine actually does and now I want to kill myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4-YnLpLgtk

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

eschaton posted:

because it's an improvement on its successors, right?

I seriously have never seen a lisp machine before so I didn't know how it worked. it's definitely old-world shared memory mentality that seems bizarre in a protected memory world.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Ator posted:

why not just have a lisp shell wrap a normal os??

i guess i dont 'get it'

that's called emacs

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
people getting stymied itt. mods, you know what to do

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

eschaton posted:

also it feels like my thread here has really "made it" now

voted 5 for literally posting a thread about a POS OS

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
many years ago I applied for an internship at a company that did graphics software. they were using lisp on SGI machines. you will be surprised to hear that they stopped existing a few years later.

I didn't get the job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

eschaton posted:

was it Nichimen N-World, which became Winged Edge Mirai, which is now Izware Mirai? because that would have been pretty cool, their code is derived from the original Symbolics S-Graphics suite which Nichimen (a big Symbolics graphics customer) bought when Symbolics was in bankruptcy and ported from ZetaLisp on Genera to Common Lisp on Irix

I've actually started to look into the current state of those assets, they'd be great to obtain and release to the public in some way

yes. wow, I had completely forgotten the name. it was Nichimen Graphics. and I was clearly not qualified for the job at the time being a dumbass kid in my first few college years.

• Locked thread