Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'll admit I enjoy Jonah Hill in the stuff that I've seen (never had any interest in Superbad) where he's a side character or villain. I loved his performance as Tighten/Hal in Megamind and enjoyed him in Wolf of Wall Street as well. I have no idea what made him think that this show was a good idea in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Honestly, Rape Jokes need to be very carefuly played, specifically the rape itself cannot be the joke. Examples of jokes with similarly base material were done better in Reefer Madness The Musical, because the jokes are about the situation and perceptions of it. When the tweaker is trying to take advantage of Mary Lane for example, and getting her high only reverses the situation and makes her go complete dominatrix and now he's trying to escape her - the real joke is that this is what the parents in the framing device ACTUALLY BELIEVE! The OTT sex stuff is pretty much just informing that point, that it's not hyperbole to these parents that we know it is, they literally think marijuana will turn their children into "Hooligans and Whores" with no filter for metaphor.

Also the intentionally unpleasant lyric about Jack getting stoned and raping his wife isn't the joke, the joke is that she's just admitted that fact to a street full of complete strangers who didn't know, didn't want to know and are reacting with about as much discomfort as anyone would about a random couple airing their dirty laundry all over the place.

This of course assumes that the jokes are at all necessary to the plot - in this case the first one is a dark exaggeration of a fake reality that idiots think is the literal truth, and the other informs the woman's decision to turn on Jack towards the end of the movie. At least somewhat necessary for the story that they were trying to tell.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Speaking of choice, it’s time for some audience participation! I’m going to let this thread vote on which stupid thing I watch next. The theme of this election is “failed animated FX shows that got cancelled after only one season”. The nominees are:

Chozen: Dumbass rapper acts like an rear end in a top hat and treats everyone around him like poo poo. The music was engaging and the animation was good, the writing not so much. It might have improved if it had gotten a second season, but it didn’t. I plan on going through all ten episodes and figuring out what went wrong and why.

Moonbeam City: Dumbass detective acts like an rear end in a top hat and treats everyone around him like poo poo. The animation was engaging and the music was good, the writing not so much. It might have improved if it had gotten a second season, but it, uh…. does anyone else have déjà vu for some reason?

Unsupervised: This is the third option. I remember basically nothing about it.

Cast your votes now! I’ll count them on Wednesday and get started watching whichever one wins.

If only there was a vote to watch something good... You deserve a break from this garbage. There are other cartoons Omoly!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

"I survived Allen Gregory and all I got was this lousy Thread" :v:

• Locked thread