Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

scuba school sucks posted:

I'm not racist, but as an American I just want to point out it's a scientific fact that we don't have anything to fear from North Korea. Their missiles, this is a scientific fact, North Korean missiles don't have the range to penetrate deeply enough into the guts of our country to do any real damage. Whatever they do to us just won't amount to more than a tiny little prick. I don't want to drag down the elevated discourse on this forum with mere immature humor but you know what I heard one of these North Korean missiles they're waving around trying to impress everybody with, it's literally called "No Dong".

aint dat the 'tooth'!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Pitdragon posted:

According to a 2012 report by South Korea-based North Korea Resource Institute (NKRI), North Korea has substantial reserves of iron ore, coal, limestone, and magnesite. In addition, North Korea is thought to have tremendous potential rare metal resources, which have been valued in excess of US$6 trillion

oh that makes sense

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

scuba school sucks posted:

I'm not racist, but as an American I just want to point out it's a scientific fact that we don't have anything to fear from North Korea. Their missiles, this is a scientific fact, North Korean missiles don't have the range to penetrate deeply enough into the guts of our country to do any real damage. Whatever they do to us just won't amount to more than a tiny little prick. I don't want to drag down the elevated discourse on this forum with mere immature humor but you know what I heard one of these North Korean missiles they're waving around trying to impress everybody with, it's literally called "No Dong".

It means "labor."

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

It means "labor."

It's funny because they don't work lol

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Sometimes I wonder from a strictly utilitarian standpoint how much you can weigh futures lives vs present ones. Like if just leveling a shithole where people are constantly suffering and stuff just sucks in general would be worth the immediate loss of life when compared to the general improvements that would follow for centuries.

There's obviously a lot more diplomatic nuance than that in situations like this and It's never a call I'd personally make but imo it's worth entertaining the idea that handwringing now ultimately results in more suffering over time, maybe in the longrun it'd be best to just take the mulligan.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 14, 2017

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

theperminator posted:

Very capable of causing damage in South Korea & Japan though.

last time major industrial powers were obliterated by war it worked out very well for the US.

new-post-war period, i say! bring those jobs back by destroying all the foreign factories!

naem
May 29, 2011

basic hitler posted:

$500 some percentage of the camps being food processing centers

Like they eat people? :cry:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

naem posted:

Like they eat people? :cry:

north korea is the closest thing that exists to the state of the planet when soylent green takes place. makes you think.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
War is hell. That's what I learned playing video games FYI.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RaySmuckles posted:

last time major industrial powers were obliterated by war it worked out very well for the US.

new-post-war period, i say! bring those jobs back by destroying all the foreign factories!

sk and japan barely manufacture anything though, short of useless and nominal things they can proudly display in their shop windows as MADE IN JAPAN or MADE IN COREA

and i guess lovely washing machines in korea's case but even then iirc most of those are now made in mexico

truly, they are westernized countries

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

Sometimes I wonder from a strictly utalitarian standpoint how much you can weigh futures lives vs present ones. Like if just leveling a shithole where people are constantly suffering and stuff just sucks in general would be worth the immediate loss of life when compared to the general improvements that would follow for centuries.

There's obviously a lot more diplomatic nuance than that in situations like this and It's never a call I'd personally make but imo it's worth entertaining the idea that handwringing now ultimately results in more suffering over time, maybe in the longrun it'd be best to just take the mulligan.

theres certainly something to be said for this kind of thinking. we sometimes let sentimentality get the best of us. violence is regrettable, and we should avoid it as much as possible but, but, i think that sometimes one large sweep of initial corrective action will save the lives of the innocent unborn. its just so complex and i dont think the right wing cowboys understand how complex it is. im more than well aware of them though, the complexities i mean, and thats what makes this so hard, the diplomatic complexities especially, the etiquette of how we discourse about the whole action on the international stage while recognising the complexities of the situation, both mission critical and moral-verbal

Orkin Mang fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 14, 2017

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ArbitraryC posted:

Sometimes I wonder from a strictly utilitarian standpoint how much you can weigh futures lives vs present ones. Like if just leveling a shithole where people are constantly suffering and stuff just sucks in general would be worth the immediate loss of life when compared to the general improvements that would follow for centuries.

welcome to the british empire :britain:

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

ArbitraryC posted:

Tweet this at the White House and see what happens.

Bad Llama
Jan 2, 2007
pwnerer
North Korea best Korea

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

No Dong will never penetrate America

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

welcome to the british empire :britain:

yeah but they went with a lot of half measures, you really need to go all in on this or you'll just make the situation worse.

see: africa

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

yeah but they went with a lot of half measures, you really need to go all in on this or you'll just make the situation worse.

russia has whats called the foab or father of all bombs. i saw a video of it blowing up and it wasnt that cool, just a big explosion. in this postnuclear world its hard not to get nostalgic for the evocative hellscapes summoned by those great atomic dragons of yore

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

if you could blackops disappear the korean regime and replace it with liberal stooges you should totally collapse the dprk. if you have to put the entirety of the peninsula and japan at risk just to make it happen then you shouldn't.

just imo, one good strike during one of the big NK parades with the leadership & everything all in one place, that's a good idea.

retaliatory strikes @ test sites is a really bad idea

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ArbitraryC posted:

they wern't finished in africa, the USSRs arms kind of put a damper on the efforts. its not the british that started the cold war

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

basic hitler posted:

china is about to let America Finish The Job lmao

mao's son died for nothing.

Mnoba posted:

we are going to push from the sea, and china is going to push from the the land and when we meet in the middle we are going to clasp hands like in the Predator (we're Arnold of course)

lol you loving retards

trade between china and north korea is up 40% this year

china's gonna stick up for their baby brother, hope you're ready for WW3

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

basic hitler posted:

if you could blackops disappear the korean regime and replace it with liberal stooges you should totally collapse the dprk. if you have to put the entirety of the peninsula and japan at risk just to make it happen then you shouldn't.

just imo, one good strike during one of the big NK parades with the leadership & everything all in one place, that's a good idea.

retaliatory strikes @ test sites is a really bad idea

It's a good thing time machines aren't a real thing so you can't go back to WW2 and say "look guys I know hitler is genociding people but unless you solve the problem without any violence we should let him keep exterminating races"

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Pitdragon posted:

"shoot, looks like these guys will have a valid deterrent to invasion soon. better invade quick and get at those resources before it's too late!"

north korea already has an extremely valid deterrent to invasion, and one that is significantly more effective than nukes: whoever breaks it buys it

no nation on earth, least of all china or south korea, wants to deal with 25 million half-brainwashed paupers with no marketable skills. the economic impact of trying to absorb, train, house and feed the refugees created by the fall of the DPRK would be insane.

this is the chief reason no one has knocked over the north yet, and one of the chief reasons that china keeps propping it up.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 14, 2017

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mirthless posted:

lol you loving retards

ive got a science project due soon and ww3 is just the ticket i need to get out of it

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
If the world's going to end maybe all men should just start being gay w/ each other? Not that I want this but it seems like the only reasonable thing at this point. PM me if down (OK if straight).

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Should glass all of Asia tbh

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I understand the thing that stopped us the first time around is also a concern: that North Korea is a mountainous hellscape and it's hills bristle with concealed AA guns and artillery

also they have thousands of miles of underground tunnel complexes that span the entire length of the country so I hope you're ready for a hell of an insurgency

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

theperminator posted:

It's a good thing time machines aren't a real thing so you can't go back to WW2 and say "look guys I know hitler is genociding people but unless you solve the problem without any violence we should let him keep exterminating races"

Do you think that's why a single nation entered WWII, lol

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

theperminator posted:

unlike taking down berlin in 1939/41/etc, this doesn't have to be done with a big ol' conventional war, dude. just a small 10-15 extended-conflict.

Mirthless posted:

lol you loving retards

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/04/china-military-force-won-halt-north-korea-threat-170413141010298.html

It's very very important you read beyond the url preferably the whole thing because i'm about to eat dinner and i'm not gonna select the relevant quotes, but basically if NK tests that nuke china is washing its hands.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Big City Drinkin posted:

If the world's going to end maybe all men should just start being gay w/ each other? Not that I want this but it seems like the only reasonable thing at this point. PM me if down (OK if straight).

ive been teaching myeslf to burrow for 6 months now and if my timing is right i can bury myself to safe depths in the gap between the blaze of light and the supersonic flames

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Psycho Society posted:

Nah but America is run by the Jews and they're still harping on about the gas chambers 70 years later so I figured they might be interested in stopping another bad guy.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

basic hitler posted:

unlike taking down berlin in 1939/41/etc, this doesn't have to be done with a big ol' conventional war, dude. just a small 10-15 extended-conflict.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/04/china-military-force-won-halt-north-korea-threat-170413141010298.html

It's very very important you read beyond the url preferably the whole thing because i'm about to eat dinner and i'm not gonna select the relevant quotes, but basically if NK tests that nuke china is washing its hands.

also back when the diplomatic cables leaked there were several that made it extremely clear that if/when the US finally gets around to glassing the norks china will just quietly let us

china is not going to enter wwIII over north korea, lol

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

basic hitler posted:

all this article says is that china would prefer it if north korea doesn't have nukes, and would take extra steps to protect them if they got rid of them

it doesn't say anything about china rolling over and letting the US poo poo all over North Korea

It would be an embarrassment to china and the US's dick isn't as big as it used to be

Psycho Society posted:

lol, seriously, we sent refugees back to loving germany when we knew they would be killed

who's we? literally every other country

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Mirthless posted:

I understand the thing that stopped us the first time around is also a concern: that North Korea is a mountainous hellscape and it's hills bristle with concealed AA guns and artillery

also they have thousands of miles of underground tunnel complexes that span the entire length of the country so I hope you're ready for a hell of an insurgency

we pushed NK army to the chinese border and then the red army spilled down in force. the fight petered out at the current location after some back-and-forth that says we only signed that armistice because we weren't ready to commit to killing every single red chinese soldier like a bunch of maniacs.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

chernobyl kinsman posted:

also back when the diplomatic cables leaked there were several that made it extremely clear that if/when the US finally gets around to glassing the norks china will just quietly let us

china is not going to enter wwIII over north korea, lol

a lot's changed in ten years

basic hitler posted:

we pushed NK army to the chinese border and then the red army spilled down in force. the fight petered out at the current location after some back-and-forth that says we only signed that armistice because we weren't ready to commit to killing every single red chinese soldier like a bunch of maniacs.

yeah just like we would have totally beat the vietnamese if we had just a few more years

because american bravado was definitely not a thing in the post-war era right

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
those 'concealed AA guns and artillery' are 50s vintage cannons, mirthless. they have no fire control and would pose virtually no threat to modern artillery, which could triangulate on and explode their position after a couple of shots

Mirthless posted:

a lot's changed in ten years

china has not gotten less sick of the dprk in the last 7 years

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Mirthless posted:

all this article says is that china would prefer it if north korea doesn't have nukes, and would take extra steps to protect them if they got rid of them

it doesn't say anything about china rolling over and letting the US poo poo all over North Korea

It would be an embarrassment to china and the US's dick isn't as big as it used to be

lol, seriously, we sent refugees back to loving germany when we knew they would be killed

who's we? literally every other country

you didn't read or you suck at interpreting CCP statements because they're totally going to let the US retaliate to some degree if NK ignores the advisors they sent to Pyongyang to tell the fat idiot to cool it

Pyongyang will listen and this will end boringly, probably, but if they actually ignore that delegation, NK is gonna lose a few test sites at least.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mirthless posted:

there wont be an insurgency, we will just offer them iphones and hamburgers and they will give up right away

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

basic hitler posted:

you didn't read or you suck at interpreting CCP statements because they're totally going to let the US retaliate to some degree if NK ignores the advisors they sent to Pyongyang to tell the fat idiot to cool it

Pyongyang will listen and this will end boringly, probably, but if they actually ignore that delegation, NK is gonna lose a few test sites at least.

yeah mirthless didn't read

mirthless try this

http://www.businessinsider.com/china-north-korea-coal-imports-2017-4

again there is absolutely no chance china starts a war with the US over north korea. even just from an economic standpoint its lunacy.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The way you're posting is telling me, mirthless, that you're not super educated on the facts of what happened in the korean war, or the state of the CCP at the time that either side were even willing to consider the armistice. You're also kind of agenda driven, some anti-imperialist, and i get that, but blindly so. Probably read pravda or some poo poo and think that russia is justified in Ukraine too and i'm not having that. cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
arguing with mirthless is never a good idea because his logic follows paths of some obtuse non-euclidean geometry which no sane mind can trace

• Locked thread